Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 08:06

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Kellogg (Northwestern) 2013 - Calling All Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE: Sales (Consumer Products)
Followers: 97

Kudos [?]: 400 [1] , given: 73

Premium Member
Re: Kellogg (Northwestern) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2012, 05:24
This post received
KUDOS
pyarapopat wrote:
theK wrote:
Does anyone know whether the Kellogg Admissions office tend to offer acceptance or ding you very close to each round's final notification date, or may call you as soon they've completed their assessment even though it's weeks before the final notification date?

The results will be out only on the notification date.

Last year notifications started going out one week prior to the final decision day. Both admits and denials were sent during this time. Admits are usually called, but they will also email you if they cannot reach you. WL and denials are communicated through a status update on line which you will be notified about via email (or just manically refreshing your application status).

The Brain Dump - From Low GPA to Top MBA (Updated September 1, 2013) - A Few of My Favorite Things--> http://cheetarah1980.blogspot.com

1 KUDOS received
VP
VP

Premium Member
Re: Kellogg (Northwestern) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 28 Oct 2012, 06:17
This post received
KUDOS
All I can say based on last year is that admissions notifications started going out one week prior to the official decision date in both R1 and R2. On GC we saw the most admits on days 1 and 2 once the calls/emails started. There were some people who were admitted later in the week. As far as I know I don't remember any admits on the actual decision day. However, in years past admits were notified all the way up until the final day, but that may have now changed given last year's experience.

The Brain Dump - From Low GPA to Top MBA (Updated September 1, 2013) - A Few of My Favorite Things--> http://cheetarah1980.blogspot.com

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [1] , given: 6

Re: Kellogg (Northwestern) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2012, 06:28
This post received
KUDOS
theK wrote:
A question for those who've had their interviews: Does the Check Application Status site indicate that the interview has been completed?

I have had the off-campus interview with an alumn within the 21-days limit recently, and I am wondering whether he has submitted his report or not.

The Check Application Status site only shows one link - View Interview Match Letter.

No i don't think so, I can't locate an indicator anywhere on the app page. My interviewer told me he has submitted the feedback as a response to my thank you email, so I assume it's in.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.3
WE: Management Consulting (Accounting)

Kudos [?]: 6 [1] , given: 1

Re: Kellogg (Northwestern) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2012, 07:32
This post received
KUDOS
redpringles wrote:
theK wrote:
A question for those who've had their interviews: Does the Check Application Status site indicate that the interview has been completed?

I have had the off-campus interview with an alumn within the 21-days limit recently, and I am wondering whether he has submitted his report or not.

The Check Application Status site only shows one link - View Interview Match Letter.

No i don't think so, I can't locate an indicator anywhere on the app page. My interviewer told me he has submitted the feedback as a response to my thank you email, so I assume it's in.

Same with me, my interview was awhile ago but the status does not indicate it was completed. My status was updated in the last day or so that does confirm all application elements were received.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.66
WE: Consulting (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [1] , given: 7

Re: Kellogg (Northwestern) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2012, 08:52
This post received
KUDOS
c00guy wrote:
Hey, my applicant status seems quite weird. Just wanted to check if the others (who haven't yet heard from Kellogg after submitting Part 1 & 2) have the same status:

"All the required elements of your application are complete.

If your interview has been completed, the application has been submitted for review to the admissions committee. If your interview has not been conducted, the application will be submitted to the admissions committee upon completion of the interview. The next status check update will be the admission decision (Admit, Waitlist or Deny). When a decision has been determined, the Office of Admissions will send you an email notifying you to check your status for your decision. Application decisions may be released on or before the decision deadline, but the majority of decisions will be released during the last few weeks of the round.

Please note that applications are not necessarily reviewed in the order received, and the timing of one's decision is not an indicator of a candidate's strengths or weaknesses relative to others who applied in the same round."

Shouldn't the next status update be whether we've been invited or waived for the interview? And the first two lines seem cryptic - looks like they're assuming that the interview would definitely happen some time. Don't know, maybe I'm reading too much into this. Thoughts?

Hi,
I was seeing the same status after submitting Part II.

PS: I received an interview waiver and the status still remained the same, but with a link at the bottom to view the interview waiver letter.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 650 Q V
GMAT 2: 630 Q V
GMAT 3: 660 Q V
GMAT 4: 680 Q V
GMAT 5: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.12
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 21 [1] , given: 1

Re: Kellogg (Northwestern) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Nov 2012, 23:52
This post received
KUDOS
I'm one of the student tour guides. If you have not been on campus yet, I recommend both the tour and a class visit. The tour is about 45 mins and I walk around the Jacobs building and go through different topics such as core classes, career services, student life, and clubs. It's your time to ask specific questions to a current student about Kellogg. The class visit is 90 mins and you get a sense of class dynamic and the learning culture at Kellogg.

If you are crunched for time, I would prioritize the class visit over the tour. Then find time to connect with a current student to ask about their experience at Kellogg.

Good luck to everybody with interviews!

Posted from my mobile device Image
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Strategy

Kudos [?]: 29 [1] , given: 9

Re: Kellogg (Northwestern) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2012, 08:25
This post received
KUDOS
Last year the decisions started rolling out a week early via phone calls and people found out each day up until the final decision day.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 650 Q V
GMAT 2: 630 Q V
GMAT 3: 660 Q V
GMAT 4: 680 Q V
GMAT 5: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.12

Kudos [?]: 21 [1] , given: 1

Re: Kellogg (Northwestern) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2012, 20:15
This post received
KUDOS
I'll be staying in Evanston next week so if anybody is traveling home to Chicago for the break and wants to visit the campus, PM me and we can try to schedule a time for a private tour. Kellogg will have official info sessions this Mon and Tues, but no class visits or building tours.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Johnson (Cornell) - Class of 2015
WE: Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 309 [1] , given: 166

Premium Member
Re: Kellogg (Northwestern) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2012, 07:02
This post received
KUDOS
hselika wrote:
I was pleased with all that and thought things would be good. However, when I was connecting with a cornell alum, he told me he had been dinged at Kellogg inspite of a brilliant interview with an alum in the Philippines.. I am very very nervous now..

Does anyone have the same experience? Great interview but ding specifically at Kellogg?

Something to consider - at Kellogg the interview is just another component of the application that gets evaluated with everything else. Having a great interview may not be enough o compensate for weaknesses elsewhere in the application. At schools where interviews are invite only, you can at least feel some confidence that you made it through the first cut of applicants. When interviewing with Kellogg, there's just no way of knowing how you stack up with the rest of the applicant pool or what the adcom thinks of your application.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fWvub_WBho

1 KUDOS received
BSchool Forum Moderator
Schools: Ross '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 720 Q V0

Kudos [?]: 132 [1] , given: 27

Premium Member
Re: Kellogg (Northwestern) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 19 Nov 2012, 20:28
This post received
KUDOS
I had my interview today on-campus. if you're interviewing on campus this week, you'll most likely be with an Admissions Officer since there are no classes this week.

I got asked all the standard questions (why Kellogg? strengths? time I failed? etc), but it was definitely a little different. The vibe with an Admissions Officer feels more formal, and while I think I did well, I really couldn't read my interviewer at all. But at least she seemed to take a copious amount of notes.

She also asked me a lot about my time during my undergrad years. I was a little surprised about this since I graduated from college over 10 years ago, but I managed to get through it.

Good luck to everyone.
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Followers: 33

Kudos [?]: 411 [1] , given: 245

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Kellogg (Northwestern) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 Dec 2012, 10:30
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
FuzzyBuzzard wrote:
aerien wrote:
Just my opinion: they could blame the applicant for not communicating well with their recommender. If you (general you) can't even convey to your recommender, someone you ideally have a good relationship with and have known for awhile, the importance of following a laid-out set of directions from a school, how will you manage other people and teams both in business school and afterwards?

I see your point and agree.
Yet, the recommenderes are out of the applicant's control. Sticking to the deadline is one thing, not going over the word limit is another thing. BTW, I really appreciates Berkeley-Haas' attitude towards LOR, as posted on their Facebook page - they accept LOR's even after the deadline, knowing that the rec' are usually busy people.

Most schools have that (more or less unspoken) policy about accepting LORs a few days to a week after the deadline. Adcoms do realize that that submitting of the rec letters is out of the applicant's control.

aerien

Why Yale | My Advice For Younger Applicants

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 0

Re: Kellogg (Northwestern) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 02 Dec 2012, 06:44
This post received
KUDOS
applicant from India- got an interview invite after waiver. Received the email on Friday; have not scheduled the interview yet because the office is closed for the weekend. The email said that I need to schedule the interview by Dec 4th.
1 KUDOS received
Haas Thread Master
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GPA: 3.3
WE: Design (Other)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 37 [1] , given: 34

Reviews Badge
Re: Kellogg (Northwestern) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 03 Dec 2012, 10:14
This post received
KUDOS
Hi guys I thought I would share my interview report

My interview was on Friday around 1PM. I live 5 hour drive from Chicago. My gf and I drove down that morning straight to Northwestern. We reached there around 11AM. I registered at the admission office which is on the second floor. I had some questions regarding information session later that day. We grabbed lunch downstairs and walked around the campus.
Around 12.30PM, I walked back to the admissions office. There were 4 other interview candidates waiting for their interviews as well. I chatted with them a bit. All of them had pretty impressive backgrounds.
My interviewer came around 12.55PM and asked me to follow her to one of the executive interview rooms. She was very friendly and tried to put me at ease right away. We chatted for a bit about how nice the weather was that day and how my drive to Evanston was and if I am staying the night or not.
She formally introduced herself with her position and everything. I gave a short introduction. She also gave some background information about how this was a blind interview and she hasn’t seen my application Part 1 yet. She also emphasized that the notes she would make would not be used until the last stage and I could repeat the stories in my essays as the admission committee doesn’t review the interview notes until they see my complete application.
Here are some questions I remember. Most of them should be in the order they were asked
1. Walk me through your resume.
A. I gave her a brief background and then started with my college to the current point
2. Why did you chose the undergraduate institute you chose
3. Why did you pursued a graduate degree
4. Why did I chose to work for my current company
5. Tell me more about your current role
6. What is your leadership style?
7. Give me an example of you leadership style
8. How do I work in teams at my current job?
9. How do I contribute to my team?
10. What do you do if someone in your team is not willing to follow through or there is a confrontation
11. My s/t and l/t goals?
12. How does Kellogg fit in to that picture and MMM program especially.
13. How have I displayed some of the traits required for my career goals?
14. What will I bring to Kellogg
15. If my manager has to give me a constructive feedback what would it be?
16. What are the top two weakest links on my application?
17. If I have any questions for her
I asked her why she chose to work for Kellogg and what does she really like about the Kellogg culture. I also asked her would it be possible that day to meet any MMM students.
Toward the end she asked me if I want them to know anything which she couldn’t ask. Here I talked about my extra-curricular and briefly mentioned what motivates me. I was really satisfied with this answer because I was able to put a really good final touch on my entire application.

I also wanted to end my interview on a really lighter note so I told her about the time when I played for a Pink Floyd cover band in India and how out first show sucked and how popular my band is now. I am glad I mentioned that because this really lightened the mood and added a personal touch.

Regardless of the outcome, I really enjoyed the interview and the conversation. I think she is going to remember me as a Pink Floyd fan and fusion rock-star who turned rocket scientist to design air-conditioners and will solve Indian food security problems in the future.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V42
GPA: 3.56
WE: Corporate Finance (Computer Hardware)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 14 [1] , given: 16

Re: Kellogg (Northwestern) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Dec 2012, 17:09
This post received
KUDOS
I'm trying to just assume the 17th... no point in being anxious for a full 2 weeks. :-/
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GMAT 2: Q V
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 31 [1] , given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: Kellogg (Northwestern) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 10 Dec 2012, 02:42
This post received
KUDOS
esport12 wrote:
I got an interview waiver and was never contacted for follow-up. Does that mean I'm either WL'ed or dinged or can I still get in?

I'm in the same boat as you. I've heard in the past that they would typically follow-up with a phone interview, although according to the wording in the interview waiver e-mail, it doesn't seem like an absolute requirement:

Please be assured that this waiver will in no way negatively impact your candidacy. The Admissions Committee understands and expects these conditions and will certainly take them into consideration when reviewing your application. The interview is a single factor in your evaluation and is by no means the most important criterion for admission. The committee will contact you personally if they feel they need further clarification on any aspect of your file.

The part that gives me a bit of hope is the last sentence, if they feel they need further clarification on any aspect of your file. To me, this seems to leave open the possibility of admission without an interview (if you received the waiver), however small that possibility might be. Perhaps the essays and the rest of the application gave them enough they needed.

Am I reaching on this one, or does anyone else think this is a possibility?
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
WE: Other (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)

Kudos [?]: 7 [1] , given: 3

Re: Kellogg (Northwestern) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 10 Dec 2012, 09:42
This post received
KUDOS
Jeff87 wrote:
nyukellogg2015 wrote:
So I know calls haven't started yet, but once they do, does anyone know if they call each and every admitted student? I.e. is not getting a call a death blow?

That's my understanding. I think that if you don't hear anything by Friday you'll get the ding / waitlist Monday. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

So, you're saying this will be the worst week ever until/if I get a call, basically.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Re: Kellogg (Northwestern) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 10 Dec 2012, 18:36
This post received
KUDOS
The adcom committee must look at this forum and be amused.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
GPA: 3.8

Kudos [?]: 6 [1] , given: 3

Re: Kellogg (Northwestern) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 11 Dec 2012, 06:16
This post received
KUDOS
it's ok, ill just get zero work done.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing

Kudos [?]: 8 [1] , given: 8

Re: Kellogg (Northwestern) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 11 Dec 2012, 08:16
This post received
KUDOS
TheFool wrote:
Good luck!! To keep myself marginally more sane :shock: I tried to not go on this forum this morning. I held off for.... two hours!

two hours :shock: that's good.. i cant hold off for even 20 minutes :x
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP

Premium Member
Re: Kellogg (Northwestern) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 11 Dec 2012, 09:50
This post received
KUDOS
Bigblue1010 wrote:
In the chat, someone said the following:

"I went to an on-campus interview session at Kellogg and they said decisions will be out on the deadline this year."

Can anyone else confirm this or has anyone else contacted to admissions office to verify?

Please, please, please do not contact admissions to ask them if they will send out decisions before the deadline. They will render decisions when they render them. They've promised to do it by a specific date. If they do it before that day, GREAT! If not, then let it be.

I know you guys all want to know something already but please do not bother the admissions office about it.

Re: Kellogg (Northwestern) 2013 - Calling All Applicants   [#permalink] 11 Dec 2012, 09:50