Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Aug 2014, 16:14

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Kellogg (Northwestern) 2013 - Calling All Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Current Student
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 1

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Kellogg (Northwestern) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 08 Feb 2013, 22:59
Just had an interview with an alumni in Mumbai, the interview was very straightforward.
Here is the sequence of events:
1. Formal introduction
2. Asked to talk about myself (went over resume)
3. Why MBA, Why Kellogg?
4. Any questions for the interviewer?
5. We had a chat about his experience, his background and about Evanston.

For the 11am slot, we started before time at about 10:40am and completed by 11:10am.
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
WE: Marketing (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)

Kudos [?]: 26 [2] , given: 15

Re: Kellogg (Northwestern) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 09 Feb 2013, 05:42
This post received
KUDOS
I had my interview today with a Kellogg alum. AFAIK, it was smooth with a few bobbles here and there, where we had a difference of opinion or two. No stress, fairly conversational but a bit different from what I'd been reading from interviewees. My interviewer was an exec MBA holder from Kellogg while I was a 1Y applicant, and his opinion on why an MBA was fairly refreshing. Anyway, after he set the groundwork and took me through how he'd run the next 30 odd minutes, here is what I was asked:

1. Why MBA
2. Why only MBA and would it really make a difference (Here he said the only real reason why 95% candidates apply is more $$, a stamp of approval and anytime any interviewee says anything different its difficult to not judge them as not being truthful! Quite a spot I was in, but I held my own and while I agreed with him I said there were otehr driving factors for me and took time to explain. He seemed on the border here :) )
3. Why Kellogg
4. What other schools I applied to and why
5. Talk about your career growth over the past 6-7 years
6. Anything on the resume which you would like to emphasize
7. Something I'm extremely proud of having done - any one thing, but within the last year or so
8. Any tough situation that I've handled. How would I deal with it differently
9. A time when things went wrong in my team, and how did I exhibit leadership
10. Weaknesses I've identified in myself and how I addressed them
11. What would people say about me
12. What kind of a person am I? Here he probed me further since one of my answers to Q 10 was being an introvert in the world of marketing and having to live a life where I had to 'fake' being an extrovert while holding my cards close to my chest. He told me he himself was quite an introvert and said he felt exactly the same as I did when it came to dealing with people. In fact he added that one of the challenges he faced when he went to Kellogg was being in a place where everyone was an extrovert, a social butterfly and 'out there' while he was an introvert. Gave me quite a bit of advice here.
13. Do I think others around me like me as a person?
14. My goals in life - why
15. The conversation went quite random and suddenly he told me that I seemed like a passionate guy with an impressive and a unique CV, but there was one thing he wanted to finally ask me- If I could be any one person in the world, who would I want to be and why - time and money not being a factor. My answer surprised him - I first said- "You, considering you've been to my dream school and are doing exactly what you wanted to"....we laughed and then I gave him my real answer: I said Roger Waters for the brilliance in his words and his captivating, haunting voice. (I am a closet musician after all)

He gave me some time to ask my questions, here's what I asked:

1. Why did he choose Kellogg over any other business school.
2. Considering I've never been to the US, if there were one or two things he thinks I should be prepared for/ wary of/ pearls of wisdom, what would he say- to make the most of my 1Y in Kellogg (and possibly more in the US)?
3. Finally, asked him for his e-mail ID, at which point we exchanged business cards.

It was quite a calm conversation with one or two points where he probed and disagreed with me, but was fun nevertheless. He wished me luck and then told me that finally the hard part was over now with whatever I could do having been done! I told him I actually quite enjoyed the whole application process because it forced me to introspect and 'discover myself' since in the corporate world one hardly gets to take out time to think about their life, accomplishments and delve deeper into themselves, and importantly - an opportunity to think bravely :) He agreed with me and said it was refreshing to hear that since he thought exactly the same way- The app process itself was a teacher!

The entire conversation went on for about 50 minutes against the 30 that he had outlined in the beginning.

Anyway, fingers crossed.

<Getting prepared to change the world>

Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 7

Re: Kellogg (Northwestern) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 09 Feb 2013, 10:07
Interviewed with an alum but it was more like a relaxed interaction. Really hard to tell as most interviews these days are quite relaxed and feel good. I was asked the typical questions on resume, why mba, why kellogg, vision after 4-5 years, instance of convincing a team, interests outside work, etc. but it was good to answer them as the interviewer showed genuine interest in knowing you.

I was quite happy overall however there are always a few things that I feel I could have added in the hindsight.
Current Student
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V47
GPA: 3.11
WE: Engineering (Internet and New Media)

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: Kellogg (Northwestern) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 09 Feb 2013, 18:15
Interviewed on-campus today with a first-year student. Just to echo what everyone else has said, it felt like more of a casual conversation than an interview. My interviewer was very down to earth and self-deprecating and easy to talk to, which obviously made it more relaxed. The general structure of the interview followed the same pattern as everyone else's, but there were a few questions he gave that I haven't read in these reports (or other reports I've read online) so I thought I'd add them.

What's people's biggest misconception about you?
Tell me about a time you had to deal with an ambiguous situation.
He asked the usual 'What will you bring to the school?' question but then followed it up with 'Any concerns about about attending Kellogg?'

Hope that helps!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: IE'14, ISB'14, Kellogg'15
WE 1: 7 Yrs in Automobile (Commercial Vehicle industry)
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 152 [0], given: 50

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Kellogg (Northwestern) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 10 Feb 2013, 06:54
I got my interview assignment on 1st Feb. Just finished my off-campus interview few hours ago with an alum based in my city. Total 50 mins interview. Last 20 min was about his experience at Kellogg and few discussions on our industry (indian-automotive). Interview was quite conversational with no curve balls at all. Pretty straight forward questions.
1) walk me through ur resume?
2) why mba? why kellogg?
3) how will u contribute to kellogg?
4) what are ur strengths/weakness?
5) experience on a team based work?
6) Short tem/Long term goals?
7) Why u took marketing after ur under-graduation in mechanical engg ?
Finally i asked few questions about kellogg's and his experience with kellogg.

Regards
SD
-----------------------------
Press Kudos if you like my post.
Debrief 610-540-580-710(Long Journey): from-600-540-580-710-finally-achieved-in-4th-attempt-142456.html

Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V32
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V38

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 23

Re: Kellogg (Northwestern) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 11 Feb 2013, 01:09
Two questions:

1) Just wanted to know that does Kellogg reject students without updating the interview status ? i-e without waiving or scheduling interviews, reject candidates outright ?

2) Has anyone got the rejection from round 2 with or without interviews ? As they didnt give any particular decision date and said that candidates will mostly hear towards the round 2 end dates..
Current Student
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
Schools: UVA (Darden) - Class of 2015
GMAT 1: 740 Q V
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 8

Re: Kellogg (Northwestern) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 11 Feb 2013, 01:41
Had my interview with an alumni a couple of days ago.

Kind of mixed feelings, I have to admit. This is the first time the interviewer didn't look particularly passionate about the school. The whole interview sometimes looked like an exam. Several general common questions, but with frequent follow ups to get deeper into details. Seemed like a check of my preparation and knowledge gathering about what Kellogg actually is.

And it's rather difficult to communicate when you are somewhat enthusiastic (well, i didn't apply there just because of brand, right? There is something I REALLY do like about the school, and I am pretty much excited about these features), but the person on the other side looks a bit cold and answers your questions, let's say, without excessive details and just as you would answer some question you're not particularly keen on answering.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 11

Re: Kellogg (Northwestern) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Feb 2013, 15:35
madammepsychosis wrote:
Psiga wrote:
My status still hasn't changed. Did you hear anything informative back from admissions?

My status hasn't changed either, but I did get this response from admissions:

We had an influx of interview requests for this round of admissions, so it is taking a bit longer that we expected to update the application status check. Please be patient with us during this busy season as we will get that information to you as soon as we can.

Just thought I'd let you know that my status changed to inform me that my application was complete and to wait for a decision now. Hope you hear back soon too!
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V32
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V38

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 23

Re: Kellogg (Northwestern) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 13 Feb 2013, 03:41
Anyone ? please comment !

kesanova20 wrote:
Two questions:

1) Just wanted to know that does Kellogg reject students without updating the interview status ? i-e without waiving or scheduling interviews, reject candidates outright ?

2) Has anyone got the rejection from round 2 with or without interviews ? As they didnt give any particular decision date and said that candidates will mostly hear towards the round 2 end dates..
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
WE: Marketing (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)

Kudos [?]: 26 [2] , given: 15

Re: Kellogg (Northwestern) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 13 Feb 2013, 05:44
This post received
KUDOS
1. Kellogg looks at interviewing every single candidate that applies. You will be either interviewed or your interview will be waived. If either of the two do not happen, your application has some problem and you should contact the admissions office and check in. As other folks have mentioned, the only definitive indicator of your potential success is if your interview is waived and then later on you are called for an interview (As that means that they have now gone through your app and liked what they saw and wanted to find out more). Only a waiver and no call for interview means you're doomed. A direct interview call in reality means absolutely nothing. No indication whatsoever.

2. R2's decision date of March 21st means March 21st. If I remember reading correctly, R1 deadline was Dec 17 and that is exactly when people heard, not a day before. In previous years, generally the trend has been that a week before the deadline (Let's say Mar 14th onward for R2 this year) admits start getting congratulatory calls. If you haven't been called after Mar 14th but have already received an email from the adcom saying 'results available online', 99% of the time it'll mean you didn't get in.

Basically- calm down. We can all speculate and drive our nails against the wall but nothing will come of it till Mar 14th. After that, cross your fingers and wait for a phone call from an 847 area code. In the meanwhile. I'll share the best post I read from among the 46 pages here, and one which everyone should read, re-read and repeat till the time the results are out:

Read your own essays, nod vigorously at how awesome a candidate you are and release positive energy into the universe by visualizing your success - it'll happen

(Credits to Fleepie)

<Getting prepared to change the world>

Current Student
Concentration: Nonprofit, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 46

Reviews Badge
Re: Kellogg (Northwestern) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 13 Feb 2013, 06:14
any significance to adcom vs 2nd year student interview on campus? (self-initiated)

The only way to atone for being occasionally a little over-dressed is by being always absolutely over-educated.
Oscar Wilde

Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 23

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Kellogg (Northwestern) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 13 Feb 2013, 06:50
burgundy2015 wrote:
any significance to adcom vs 2nd year student interview on campus? (self-initiated)

No, no significance at all. All the second year students who conduct interviews are trained by the adcoms.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Kellogg (Northwestern) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 13 Feb 2013, 20:27
Had my interview with an alumni on 6th Feb in Mumbai.
Actual interview was 30 mins and we talked about Kellogg for another 1hr.
These Kellogg alums are very nice people indeed.
My interviewer suggested that I consider MMM program as i had a better fit with the program.
Hope the outcome is positive.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology
GMAT 1: 700 Q V
GPA: 3.1
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 5

Re: Kellogg (Northwestern) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 14 Feb 2013, 22:08
I had my kellogg interview with an alum two weeks ago. I thought the interview went pretty well. Although I sent him a Thank You note within an hour of my interview and sent him an email 3 days ago asking couple of questions about Kellogg, there has been no response from him. I wonder why he is not responding. Not sure if this is a bad sign :(
Intern
Intern

Re: Kellogg (Northwestern) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 14 Feb 2013, 22:38
TrojanWarrior wrote:
I had my kellogg interview with an alum two weeks ago. I thought the interview went pretty well. Although I sent him a Thank You note within an hour of my interview and sent him an email 3 days ago asking couple of questions about Kellogg, there has been no response from him. I wonder why he is not responding. Not sure if this is a bad sign :(

Did he specifically tell you to direct such questions to him. If not then he does not want to be bothered as he might have a really busy life. And even if he did, these alums try to act very warm and welcoming during the interview as they represent Kellogg as a brand and would not want to be bothered by overexcited applicants. I think you getting no reply means nothing in terms of how your interview went. Just let it go..
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology
GMAT 1: 700 Q V
GPA: 3.1
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 5

Re: Kellogg (Northwestern) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 14 Feb 2013, 23:14
capriconian06 wrote:
TrojanWarrior wrote:

Did he specifically tell you to direct such questions to him. If not then he does not want to be bothered as he might have a really busy life. And even if he did, these alums try to act very warm and welcoming during the interview as they represent Kellogg as a brand and would not want to be bothered by overexcited applicants. I think you getting no reply means nothing in terms of how your interview went. Just let it go..

Ya, he asked me to email him if I have any questions about the school.
Current Student
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
Schools: UVA (Darden) - Class of 2015
GMAT 1: 740 Q V
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 8

Re: Kellogg (Northwestern) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 15 Feb 2013, 01:32
Several times I tried to contact current and past students of schools I am applying to. Mostly "cold call" style - just discovering their e-mails on clubs' websites, MBA forums etc.

Kellogg had the lowest response rate among five. My samples were rather small, so I wouldn't make important conclusions, but it all feels a bit strange.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, International Business
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V36
GPA: 2.69
WE: General Management (Investment Banking)

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 0

Re: Kellogg (Northwestern) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2013, 18:42
Was anyone asked for their Gmat score at the interview?
I did my interview in late Jan, on campus, with admission.
At the end of the interview, I was asked if I took the Gmat and the results.
I had already submitted for round 2, so it felt a little weird.
I was worried if they were mistaken me for a round 3er.

Posted from my mobile device Image
Current Student
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V37
WE: Corporate Finance (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 5

Re: Kellogg (Northwestern) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 17 Feb 2013, 01:51
I was a part of the 'Kellogg interview day' at my home city in India. The interview lasted for about an hour. The interviewer was an alumni who had graduated from Kellogg 2 years back. He had made it clear before the interview that this is another chance (probably the last) for me to put my best foot forward, though it's not a make or a break situation. Below is the general outline of the entire ordeal.

1.) Started with his introduction, his background, etc., just to set the stage. And then passed the ball to me, and asked me to run him through my CV. He mentioned at the start that as he had no background about my application and just had my CV, he might ask questions already covered in the essays (I said - I would be more than happy to repeat them for you). Also, he asked me not repeat what all was written in the CV, and rather answer the why/how/when 's in the CV.
2.) While answering - "Run me through your CV", I was interjected at multiple points, where he probed me into specific elements of my CV.
3.) He asked me about my leadership experiences and teamwork experiences. Also what were the challenges faced in each of these? And if there were any failures? For failures, what my mental situation was, and how did I overcome it?
4.) Short term and Long term goals? Why MBA? Why specifically Kellogg? And which other schools I had applied to?
5.) After all this (we were 35-40 minutes down), he told me that he had pretty much gathered all what he needed, and asked if I had anything else to share. I shared with him two more experiences, which I felt were impactful, and he should know.
6.) Towards the end, he asked me if I had any questions for him, and I HAD MANY. Unfortunately, due to paucity of time (interview duration was for 1 hour), and the next candidate was waiting, we had to stop. He gave me his business card, and asked me to mail him any further questions, and he would be happy to hep me out.

Time just flew by, and I didn't realize that 1 hour was over. The interview wasn't as structured as I have mentioned, as most of the questions were covered in the "run me through your CV" question. Throughout the interview he kept jotting down points, which was at times quite distracting, as it broke the eye contact. We shared quite many light moments during the interview, which was quite relaxing. During the interview I could actually feel the typical Kellogg Alumni attributes I had heard off - "Humble", "Down to earth", "Brilliant". Overall it was a very pleasant and great experience - Let's hope for the best, now that it's a month long wait !
Intern
Intern

Re: Kellogg (Northwestern) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 17 Feb 2013, 05:05
has anyone who received a rd 2 interview waiver since been contacted for an interview?
Re: Kellogg (Northwestern) 2013 - Calling All Applicants   [#permalink] 17 Feb 2013, 05:05