Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 08:15

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Kellogg (Northwestern) 2013 - Calling All Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Marketing
GMAT 1: 650 Q42 V38
GMAT 2: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.67
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 29 [1] , given: 5

Re: Kellogg (Northwestern) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 24 Feb 2013, 12:20
This post received
KUDOS
I doubt that they are advised one way or the other. I think that it's their way of really just saying that the interview is just one part of the application. Because they interview everyone, someone could have a great interview but if their essays are crappy they won't get in, or vice versa. It's a different (and probably more ambiguous) perspective than most schools where you have to be invited to an interview, because in those cases you wouldn't have even made it that far if your essays or test scores or work experience, etc, sucked.

Kellogg makes it clear that one of the main reasons they interview everyone is because "fit" is so important due to the heavily collaborative nature of the program. But of course it's not the only factor, which is why you could nail the interview and still not get in.

ldryan wrote:
My kellogg interviewer said the exact same thing. He said that there were people he was concerned about that were admitted and people he had given glowing reviews who did not even make the wait list. My interviewer graduated a couple years ago. I wonder if they are advised to say something like this?

Posted from my mobile device Image

Posted from my mobile device Image
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 710 Q43 V45
GMAT 2: 700 Q42 V42
GMAT 3: 760 Q48 V48
GPA: 3.51
WE: Marketing (Consulting)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 27

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Kellogg (Northwestern) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 25 Feb 2013, 10:12
I was told similar info. That the interview is a chance to really get outside of the app and get a feel for your personality fit with the program. Makes sense that the interview tone is so conversational.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V41
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [1] , given: 4

Re: Kellogg (Northwestern) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 25 Feb 2013, 11:48
This post received
KUDOS
bsch2013 wrote:
Admitted off the WL today :)

Congrats bsch2013. Actually took myself off the waitlist today :) so hopefully it clears the way for someone else!
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Kellogg (Northwestern) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2013, 09:12
Has anyone in India received a phone interview invite post the waiver ?
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V40
WE: Analyst (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 7

Re: Kellogg (Northwestern) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 02 Mar 2013, 06:49
Not me.

JAGGnNoida wrote:
Intern
Intern
Schools: Wharton, UCLA, NYU, Cornell, Michigan, Columbia
WE 1: Nokia Siemens Networks

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: Kellogg (Northwestern) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 02 Mar 2013, 09:49
Has anyone anywhere got an interview call after an interview waiver?
I dont believe you can get an acceptance without an interview can you? So its probably a ding then if you dont get an interview call in the next week or so?
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Marketing
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V39

Kudos [?]: 6 [1] , given: 1

Re: Kellogg (Northwestern) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 03 Mar 2013, 23:52
This post received
KUDOS
I know someone from Taiwan got phone interview after being waived. As the school says 'If your interview has been completed, the application has been submitted for review to the admissions committee. If your interview has not been conducted, the application will be submitted to the admissions committee upon completion of the interview. ', I believe one can hardly be admitted without an interview unless the candidate's background is super strong.

asiddiqi86 wrote:
I dont believe you can get an acceptance without an interview can you? So its probably a ding then if you dont get an interview call in the next week or so?
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V41
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 28 [1] , given: 26

Re: Kellogg (Northwestern) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2013, 06:55
This post received
KUDOS
shl020 wrote:
I know someone from Taiwan got phone interview after being waived. As the school says 'If your interview has been completed, the application has been submitted for review to the admissions committee. If your interview has not been conducted, the application will be submitted to the admissions committee upon completion of the interview. ', I believe one can hardly be admitted without an interview unless the candidate's background is super strong.

asiddiqi86 wrote:

If the candidate's background is super strong, he does not get a waiver in the first place. Whatever everybody can say, in over represented areas, interview call from Kellogg is in a way similar to calls from other schools, indicating a strong first impression.
Having said that, interviews post waivers get converted all the time, and interviews w/o waivers get dinged too. But, nobody gets IN w/o the i/v.

The chase begins ...

Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 13

Re: Kellogg (Northwestern) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2013, 07:16
dreamchase wrote:
shl020 wrote:

asiddiqi86 wrote:

If the candidate's background is super strong, he does not get a waiver in the first place. Whatever everybody can say, in over represented areas, interview call from Kellogg is in a way similar to calls from other schools, indicating a strong first impression.
Having said that, interviews post waivers get converted all the time, and interviews w/o waivers get dinged too. But, nobody gets IN w/o the i/v.

When you say "Background" is it resume-only? Cause Kellogg does not read essays before they interview you..
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: IE'14, ISB'14, Kellogg'15
WE 1: 7 Yrs in Automobile (Commercial Vehicle industry)
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 134 [0], given: 50

Re: Kellogg (Northwestern) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2013, 08:20
ritzoo wrote:

When you say "Background" is it resume-only? Cause Kellogg does not read essays before they interview you..

The admission policy of kellogg is very confusing. I don't know how they can manage to read all those essays after interview or interview waiver. They will only have one month time to read all application essays in a particular cycle.

Regards
SD
-----------------------------
Press Kudos if you like my post.
Debrief 610-540-580-710(Long Journey): from-600-540-580-710-finally-achieved-in-4th-attempt-142456.html

3 KUDOS received
Current Student
Affiliations: Volunteer Operation Smile India, Creative Head of College IEEE branch (2009-10), Chief Editor College Magazine (2009), Finance Head College Magazine (2008)
WE2: Entrepreneur (E-commerce - The Laptop Skin Vault)
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
WE: Marketing (Other)
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 79 [3] , given: 24

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Kellogg (Northwestern) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2013, 08:20
This post received
KUDOS
ritzoo wrote:

Actually that's not true. When Kellogg hands you an interview waiver it means that they are going to read your application before they have a chance to interview you. Basically when they don't have enough people in the area to conduct face to face interviews like they prefer they will hand out an interview waiver and start reading your application so that they don't waste more time.

Once they read the essays if they feel you are an interesting candidate they'll invite you to a phone/web interview.

Hope this helps.

Kidchaos

http://www.laptopskinvault.com

Follow The Laptop Skin Vault on:
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/TheLaptopSkinVault
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/LaptopSkinVault

Consider Kudos if you think the Post is good
Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot. Nothing is going to change. It's not. - Dr. Seuss

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

Re: Kellogg (Northwestern) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2013, 09:43
I am hearing different ways the Admissions will notify candidates of acceptance. Does anyone know if acceptances are all offered via phone or will we receive an e-mail with our decision? Also, what is the time line for Round 2 decisions. I believe we will be notified anytime from now until March 21st. Any idea if this week we should start hearing?
Current Student
Affiliations: Volunteer Operation Smile India, Creative Head of College IEEE branch (2009-10), Chief Editor College Magazine (2009), Finance Head College Magazine (2008)
WE2: Entrepreneur (E-commerce - The Laptop Skin Vault)
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
WE: Marketing (Other)

Kudos [?]: 79 [0], given: 24

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Kellogg (Northwestern) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2013, 09:46
pgreco86 wrote:
I am hearing different ways the Admissions will notify candidates of acceptance. Does anyone know if acceptances are all offered via phone or will we receive an e-mail with our decision? Also, what is the time line for Round 2 decisions. I believe we will be notified anytime from now until March 21st. Any idea if this week we should start hearing?

Going by Round 1 I'd say you won't hear anything till March 21. They do try to call everyone but I think Internattionals might get e-mails depending on Time zones.

Kidchaos

http://www.laptopskinvault.com

Follow The Laptop Skin Vault on:
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/TheLaptopSkinVault
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/LaptopSkinVault

Consider Kudos if you think the Post is good
Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot. Nothing is going to change. It's not. - Dr. Seuss

Current Student
GMAT 1: 620 Q39 V35
GMAT 2: 620 Q43 V33
GMAT 3: 730 Q50 V40
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 63 [0], given: 3

Re: Kellogg (Northwestern) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2013, 09:46
pgreco86 wrote:

If the R1 decision notification patterns holds true for R2 also, we will be notified on the posted decision date.

My GMAT Debrief : http://gmatclub.com/forum/third-time-s-a-charm-142800.html#p1145912
Quant Concept Videos : http://gmatlife.blogspot.com/2012/07/gm ... ideos.html
My GMAT Blog : http://gmatlife.blogspot.com/

Current Student
Schools: Johnson (Cornell) - Class of 2015
WE: Military Officer (Military & Defense)

Kudos [?]: 305 [0], given: 163

Premium Member
Re: Kellogg (Northwestern) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2013, 11:53
Zynga wrote:
pgreco86 wrote:

If the R1 decision notification patterns holds true for R2 also, we will be notified on the posted decision date.

In R1, Kellogg put the Dinged and WL'd out of thier misery with an early morning (mine was timestamped ~1AM) email on decision day. Those who were admitted got a call during the day. This is different than most schools where they call those they accept, then at 5PM (or some other specified time) all those dinged/WL find out on the website.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fWvub_WBho

Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 7

Re: Kellogg (Northwestern) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2013, 13:27
Does Kellogg inform successful applicants prior to the decision date? Or are they only made aware via email on the day of? Just found out I'm going to be out of town on the 21st! Too bad!
Manager
Manager
WE: Project Management (Real Estate)

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 9

Re: Kellogg (Northwestern) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2013, 21:34
Is it game over for applicants who got a waiver but no update since then?
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.55
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Re: Kellogg (Northwestern) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2013, 22:26
This post received
KUDOS
JAGGnNoida wrote:

I did. This friday.
You had yours already?
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V40
WE: Analyst (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 7

Re: Kellogg (Northwestern) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2013, 04:01
piyush4frns wrote:
JAGGnNoida wrote:

I did. This friday.
You had yours already?

Congratulations. Seems like you are one of the few lucky one's
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 25 [1] , given: 14

GMAT Tests User
Re: Kellogg (Northwestern) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2013, 06:27
This post received
KUDOS
kidchaos wrote:
pgreco86 wrote:

Going by Round 1 I'd say you won't hear anything till March 21. They do try to call everyone but I think Internattionals might get e-mails depending on Time zones.

Candidates who are waitlisted or dinged will be notified by email early morning on the decision date. If you wake up in the morning and see no update from Kellogg, then you're In! You will get a congratulatory call later in the day and an official email by end of the day.
Re: Kellogg (Northwestern) 2013 - Calling All Applicants   [#permalink] 05 Mar 2013, 06:27