Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 05:37

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Kellogg (Northwestern) 2013 - Calling All Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
4 KUDOS received
Kellogg Thread Master
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 700 Q45 V40
GMAT 2: 700 Q49 V35
GMAT 3: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.5
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 28 [4] , given: 77

Kellogg (Northwestern) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Jul 2012, 16:31
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Northwestern (Kellogg) School of Business – Class of 2015 (Matriculating 2013)

Kellogg Applicant Summary (Real Time)

Quick Glance: GMAT Club vs. Latest Intake (Class of 2013)

GMAT Club's Real-time Admissions Statistics

Latest GMAT Club Member Profile Updates

Detailed Applicant List:Add Yourself to This List (add Kellogg to your profile)

Add Your Profile to This List
Questions about this Roll Call?

Class Profile PDF

2013 Application Essay Questions

1. Discuss moments or influences in your personal life that have defined who you are today. (500 word limit)
2. What have been your most significant leadership experiences? What challenges did you face, and what impact did you have? This is your opportunity to explain how you Think Bravely (personally and/or professionally). (500 word limit)
3. Imagine yourself at your Kellogg graduation. What career will you be preparing to enter, and how have the MBA and Kellogg helped you get there? (Please answer in terms of your program choice: One-Year, Two-Year, MMM, JD-MBA) (500 word limit)
4. What one interesting or fun fact would you want your future Kellogg classmates to know about you? (25 words or less)

MMM Applicants Only
How have you redefined yourself, your business environment and your community through the pursuit of design and innovation? (400 word limit)
For MMM applicants only: This is an optional essay that will be evaluated for the Rasmussen scholarship.

Re-Applicants Only
Since your previous application, what steps have you taken to strengthen your candidacy? (400 word limit)
Please note: re-applicants are required to answer this question in addition to #1-4.

Additional Information (Optional)
If needed, use this section to briefly describe any extenuating circumstances (e.g. unexplained gaps in work experience, choice of recommenders, inconsistent or questionable academic performance, etc.) (No word limit)

Class Profile for 2011 Entrants

Total Number of Applicants - 5461
Two-Year MBA and MMM Applicants - 4967

Enrolled Students
Total - 655
Two-Year MBA - 484
One-Year MBA - 86
The MMM Program - 60
JD-MBA - 25

Class Characteristics
U.S. Minority - 22%
Women - 33%
International Citizenship - 36%
Age Range - 25-30
Work Experience Range (years) - 3-7

GMAT Distribution
UP TO 640 = 5%
650 - 690 = 20%
700 - 740 = 54%
750-800 = 20%
Average Score = 713

Employment Reports

Last edited by GMATLA on 22 Jul 2012, 14:32, edited 14 times in total.
Additions
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
11 KUDOS received
Current Student
GMAT 1: 680 Q V0
GPA: 3.55
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 82 [11] , given: 4

Re: Kellogg (Northwestern) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2013, 20:24
This post received
KUDOS
One of my favorite posts on the Wharton thread suggests that schools hire a CPO - "Chief Panic Officer" responsible for "inciting absolute panic amongst all of the applicants". Job responsibilities to include:
1. Posing as students on the boards with messages like "Accepted!!!!! They say all the calls are done!" two days before the deadline.
2. Changing minute elements on random applicants' log in pages to see whether people notice that the font changed from Calibri to Times New Roman or that "Congratulations" was posted at the top of the page in light grey font for 2 minutes from 10:36am to 10:38am PST
3. Calling each applicant from an 847 area code on March 21st... to offer a low rate if they switch their car insurance
4. Bonus pay for having the 847 calls come from "Kellogg... we're doing a brand survey on our cereal offerings"

Role will change tactics yearly and be highly compensated. To be considered, take a $250 test. Retake. Curse yourself and retake again. Pay $250 application fee. Interview. Stress, stress, stress, stress. And then (hopefully) rejoice. Just not until March 21st :)

Best of luck everyone!
10 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 18 [10] , given: 9

Re: Kellogg (Northwestern) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 17 Dec 2012, 05:39
This post received
KUDOS
Got the call 35 minutes ago, I was too shaken to update the status.

With a GMAT journey from 650 to 720 that took 2 years and 5 attempts, a disastrous admission cycle so far with dings from Wharton, Booth, Tuck and Yale and an infuriating executive-MBA interview invite from Darden when I had applied for full-time, I cannot believe that this has happened...

Profile: 30 years old, male, Pakistan, 7 1/2 WE (comm banking), GPA of 82.7/100, decent extra-circulars and community involvement.

Last edited by icecube6000 on 17 Dec 2012, 05:47, edited 1 time in total.
9 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
WE: Marketing (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)

Kudos [?]: 26 [9] , given: 15

Re: Kellogg (Northwestern) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2013, 03:31
This post received
KUDOS
I think one of the most pointlessly annoying and irritating things one can do right now is speculate all over the place, and start congratulating others based on a (possible) trend from 5 years ago. If this were really true, what happened in the next 4 years- Anyone on that?

So be kind and stop raising hopes of others by congratulating them, when deep in your heart you're keeping your fingers crossed and hoping that it really doesn't mean anything till an official communication from K. It's not good for anyone, this pointless speculation.

<Getting prepared to change the world>

Last edited by Geronimoshere on 21 Mar 2013, 03:48, edited 1 time in total.
7 KUDOS received
Current Student
GMAT 1: 720 Q V
GMAT 2: Q V0
GPA: 3.2
WE: Operations (Investment Banking)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 25 [7] , given: 19

Re: Kellogg (Northwestern) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2013, 10:43
This post received
KUDOS
6 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V35
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V42
Followers: 44

Kudos [?]: 151 [6] , given: 27

Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Kellogg (Northwestern) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 19 Oct 2012, 01:08
This post received
KUDOS
mudit234 wrote:
anjumrishi wrote:
Hi Guys

I submitted my Part 1 on 18/09/2012 and part II on 15/10/2012. I havent yet heard back anything about my off-campus interview. I am applying from India and am wondering whether other Indian students have got their interview calls yet or is the school doing it zone-wise and yet to reach us?

Hi,
I submitted my Part I on Sep 11 and Part II on Oct 13th. I haven't heard from the adcom either. I live around NCR and frankly getting a little bit worried myself.

I am not sure if the school is doing it zonewise, but none of my friends have gotten the call either.

To everyone applying from India. I am a reapplicant and hence am acquainted with how the process works. Let me detail it as I am sure it will calm some nerves:

1. Kellogg, by design, interviews each applicant. However, in areas of high demand of interviews such as India, it is not possible for them to match their alumni to each applicant as each alumni can do only as many interviews
2. Once both Part 1 and Part 2 are submitted, one of the following three scenarios will occur:

i. You will be invited to interview on a day in late Oct/Early Nov. This is essentially an interview day - many alumni will gather at a hotel and many applicants will be interviewed. No clear formula on how the invitees are decided, but I think it depends on who submtited Part 1 earlier as from Kellogg's vantage point everyone has to be interviewed and hence no one is at a higher or lower priority at that point. Once the interview has been completed, the adcom will review your essays and recommendations and you then sit tight until the decision date to hear back from them.

ii. You will get an interview waiver. The Kellogg team does NOT read an applicant's file until their interview is complete. Hence, to avoid delays, they start reading the application first for those in India who weren't sent invited in the first go. The waiver does NOT affect your application negatively - it just means that they are waiving your interview in order to begin reviewing your application

iii. If they like your application, you will receive an invitation to interview. This will be a one to one with an alumnus here, or a Skype with the adcom in Chicago

iv. It may also happen that you don't get this invite after the waiver, in which case it is safe to assume you have been dinged

3. Hence, unlike other countries, in India Kellogg does NOT interview everyone. Also, most people receive a waiver which can then convert/not convert into an interview invite at a later stage.
4. You will NOT be admitted to the program without an interview. Hence, if after the waiver you do not receive an invite, it means you have been dinged.
5. Dates: Please read last year's thread. If I recall correctly, people received the first invites 2 weeks after the Part 2 deadline. People who first received a waiver and then an invite (such as me) kept hearing throughout November. I got my invite around Mid Nov.
6. Hence, if by end Nov you haven't heard from them after a waiver, safe to move on to alternate plans
7. Most people in India will get a waiver - it will test your nerves (tested mine) but it is actually a blessing in disguise. If you receive an invite after a waiver, that means the adcom liked your application and wants to know more - that is a positive sign any day of the year

Hope this answers your queries. Indian applicants should NOT compare their interview timeline to foreign applicants.

http://unclearadmit.tumblr.com
Latest Blog Entry:
09-05-13 Its been too long ... Updates & the Tuck Loan

6 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Booth '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41

Kudos [?]: 11 [6] , given: 6

Re: Kellogg (Northwestern) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2013, 04:24
This post received
KUDOS
In other news, here's a picture of a cat wearing a sombrero, sitting next to a tequila bottle because why not

5 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 2.1

Kudos [?]: 11 [5] , given: 1

Re: Kellogg (Northwestern) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 11 Dec 2012, 02:04
This post received
KUDOS
Read your own essays, nod vigorously at how awesome a candidate you are and release positive energy into the universe by visualizing your success - it'll happen ;)

Posted from my mobile device Image
5 KUDOS received
Current Student
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V40
GPA: 3.18
WE: Manufacturing and Production (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 67 [5] , given: 12

Reviews Badge
Re: Kellogg (Northwestern) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 17 Dec 2012, 07:35
This post received
KUDOS
In!!!!

True story - I was getting nervous because I didn't have any email from them, so I logged into this room. The Kellogg page opened and at the exact second, an Evanston number popped up on my phone!

She mentioned some specific elements of my application package (bonus points to Kellogg!) and I basically bumbled like an idiot without a lot to say.

Key take-aways:
- email later today to make it official.
- they are behind on updating the status on-line. She said it may take 24-48 hours.
- package coming in the mail that will have specific information on housing, website access, etc

I'm very excited, but to those of you on the waitlist - you have hope! I'm heading to HBS in the fall, so there's at least one spot opening for you.

Congrats to those who got in!!
I'm sorry to those you did not - I hope you hear better news from other schools or that you have moved forward on R2 apps!
Waitlist kids - STAY STRONG!
5 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Healthcare
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V37
GPA: 3.67
WE: Human Resources (Insurance)

Kudos [?]: 16 [5] , given: 0

Re: Kellogg (Northwestern) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2013, 17:17
This post received
KUDOS
Admitted off the WL today :)
5 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 25 [5] , given: 19

Re: Kellogg (Northwestern) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2013, 08:53
This post received
KUDOS
I'm using the next few hours to fill out my NCAA bracket and then drinking myself into a deep sleep until tomorrow.
5 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: Q V

Kudos [?]: 84 [5] , given: 44

Re: Kellogg (Northwestern) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2013, 17:02
This post received
KUDOS
amreza wrote:
interesting...I wonder if this is any sort of indication ;-)

OF COURSE IT'S AN INDICATION!!!
It's an indication that we have nothing better to do.
5 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 710 Q V

Kudos [?]: 12 [5] , given: 0

Re: Kellogg (Northwestern) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2013, 17:16
This post received
KUDOS
As a round 1 accept (woo hoo!), let me clarify how first round went down. Over about an hour or so, emails went out day of (around 1am CT) for people who were dinged or wait listed. Those that were accepted received a call - hence "no news is good news." I wouldn't read into the timing of the email to dictate this round. Just refresh the forum every hour and you'll know!

At least you have clarity this round! It took us on the forums several hours to figure out that the email was correleated to a ding or wait list, meaning I fell asleep at the computer around 4am after constantly refreshing this forum to figure out what was going on - work sucked the next day because not only was I exausted but I was also on edge waiting for a call that may never come (luckily it did!). Count yourselves lucky to know what the emails mean!

Best of luck over the next 24 hours and I hope to see you in the fall! My wife and I are already looking at the KWEST trips - they are AMAZING! Just trying to add to the excitement of what you have to look forward to! :)

5 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V47
GPA: 3.11
WE: Engineering (Internet and New Media)

Kudos [?]: 6 [5] , given: 0

Re: Kellogg (Northwestern) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2013, 08:11
This post received
KUDOS
Just got the call in Boston. Honestly thought Northwestern was kind of a reach, so pretty pumped to be in. My application has the same 'All the required elements of your application are complete.' message that the other admitted students seem to have, so that trend is holding up. It's looking like they're doing admitted student events in Chicago/Boston/New York/San Fran/LA (might be missing one, but think that was it). Boston one is April 8.
4 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship

Kudos [?]: 13 [4] , given: 14

Re: Kellogg (Northwestern) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 17 Dec 2012, 07:35
This post received
KUDOS
I've been waiting to say this since the last 2 years:

IN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Got the call an hour ago. The admissions officer said that the status update would take a day to reflect acceptance and he reassured that this aint a prank call!! Just curious, did any admit get any kind of email/status update?
4 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 25 [4] , given: 14

Re: Kellogg (Northwestern) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 17 Dec 2012, 12:17
This post received
KUDOS
OK Agreed. No news IS good news :) :) I'm in too. From mid-west.

I have to wait only for Booth now. The two year wait ends tomorrow!

Good luck everybody!
4 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: Kellogg School of Management - Class of 2015
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.7

Kudos [?]: 11 [4] , given: 1

Re: Kellogg (Northwestern) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2013, 19:26
This post received
KUDOS
so, who from the US or other time zones where it'll be 1 or 2 or 3am when this mysterious email may or may not come through is planning on staying up, Christmas-as-a-kid style?
4 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 620 Q39 V35
GMAT 2: 620 Q43 V33
GMAT 3: 730 Q50 V40
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 66 [4] , given: 3

Re: Kellogg (Northwestern) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2013, 12:45
This post received
KUDOS
Just got the acceptance call ! :-D Located on the West Coast
Congrats everyone !! This picture perfectly depicts my condition right now :

My GMAT Debrief : http://gmatclub.com/forum/third-time-s-a-charm-142800.html#p1145912
Quant Concept Videos : http://gmatlife.blogspot.com/2012/07/gm ... ideos.html
My GMAT Blog : http://gmatlife.blogspot.com/

3 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V44
GPA: 3.54

Kudos [?]: 10 [3] , given: 4

Re: Kellogg (Northwestern) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2012, 04:44
This post received
KUDOS
FYI, just had my on-campus interview yesterday, here are some tidbits:

Adcom member did the interview with a 2nd year student who was "training" to start doing interviews. I am applying for the JD-MBA program but all the questions seemed like the typical MBA program questions as it is all handled through Kellogg.

1. Walk me through your education choices, why did you choose the university you did? Why did you choose the major you did?
2. What did you learn in your specific major, what business skills can you attribute to your undergrad experience?
3. Why did you choose your first employer? What did you learn there? Why did you leave? (Basically asked this same question for all three employers I had on my resume)
4. Why an MBA? Why now? What do you hope to learn?
5. What are your goals post-MBA? Would you be able to reach those goals without an MBA?
6. What do you do in your spare time?

That was about it...overall it seemed okay, but no feedback of course so you can't tell if they like what you're saying or not.
3 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 25 [3] , given: 19

Re: Kellogg (Northwestern) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 26 Dec 2012, 15:35
This post received
KUDOS
Azn84 wrote:
does anyone have the link to Kellogg's list of clubs/activities and programs available to MBA students?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Kellogg+Clubs+and+Activities
Re: Kellogg (Northwestern) 2013 - Calling All Applicants   [#permalink] 26 Dec 2012, 15:35