Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Apr 2014, 17:20

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Kellogg or Anderson ($$$)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Phi Beta Kappa, Kappa Delta
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V47
GPA: 3.9
WE: Other (Venture Capital)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

Kellogg or Anderson ($$$) [#permalink] New post 20 Dec 2011, 11:26

Last edited by blg529 on 21 Dec 2011, 15:09, edited 1 time in total.
VP
VP
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE: Sales (Consumer Products)
Followers: 90

Kudos [?]: 394 [0], given: 73

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Kellogg or Anderson ($$$) [#permalink] New post 20 Dec 2011, 11:41
blg529 wrote:
I've been fortunate enough to get accepted to my two top choice programs but now I need help making the decision. I was accepted to Kellogg without money and I just found out I got into Anderson with a full ride for both years. Here are the pros/cons of each scenario as I see it:

Kellogg: I want to go into brand management and Kellogg is the best marketing school in the world so you can't go wrong there. Every CPG company I can think of recruits on campus and the cache of a Kellogg MBA will probably open doors in the brand management world down the road in my career as well. I have a lot of friends in Chicago and would absolutely love to move back. The cons are largely financial: my husband and I bought a condo in 2010 that we will have to try to sell in a not-so-great market situation and I will have to pay tuition

Anderson: Anderson may not be on Kellogg's level, but it's still a good school and all the West Coast CPG companies recruit for brand managers, as do some others. My husband and I are both from LA and currently live in LA, so we would get to stay near our families and friends and we wouldn't have to sell our condo. It also means my husband doesn't need to find a new job in Chicago. And of course saving about $100,000 on tuition and fees is a huge pro. The main con is all of the pros of Kellogg that I would be missing out on and I worry that I would look back and regret that I didn't go to Kellogg.

Any opinions and insights would be greatly appreciated. I should mention that I will not have to take out any loans to pay tuition. Thanks!

Congrats on your two admits. I know you must be stoked. I would say that it's still too early to tell what the money picture will look like for Kellogg. You haven't filled out your FAFSA and aid packages aren't going out for a while. Even though you didn't get a big scholarship up front does not mean that you won't get one at all. I would refrain from pulling the trigger on either school until you find out what K is going to offer up. I don't know about Anderson but Kellogg's deposit deadline is over 2 months away. That gives you a while to figure things out, at least from that side.

The Brain Dump - From Low GPA to Top MBA (Updated September 1, 2013) - A Few of My Favorite Things--> http://cheetarah1980.blogspot.com

Current Student
Concentration: Nonprofit, General Management
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2015
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V45
GRE 1: 336 Q169 V167
GPA: 3.22
WE: Information Technology (Manufacturing)
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 145 [0], given: 249

GMAT Tests User
Re: Kellogg or Anderson ($$$) [#permalink] New post 20 Dec 2011, 11:45
By no means an expert here, but I like cheetarah's advice. Maybe after everything shakes out a bit, you can ask K for $ in light of the UCLA package?

ME: PROFILE | CPA: BEC AUD FAR REG | CMA: ONE TWO

bitly bundles: mba rankings | mba programs

Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Phi Beta Kappa, Kappa Delta
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V47
GPA: 3.9
WE: Other (Venture Capital)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

Re: Kellogg or Anderson ($$$) [#permalink] New post 20 Dec 2011, 11:55
cheetarah1980 wrote:
blg529 wrote:
I've been fortunate enough to get accepted to my two top choice programs but now I need help making the decision. I was accepted to Kellogg without money and I just found out I got into Anderson with a full ride for both years. Here are the pros/cons of each scenario as I see it:

Kellogg: I want to go into brand management and Kellogg is the best marketing school in the world so you can't go wrong there. Every CPG company I can think of recruits on campus and the cache of a Kellogg MBA will probably open doors in the brand management world down the road in my career as well. I have a lot of friends in Chicago and would absolutely love to move back. The cons are largely financial: my husband and I bought a condo in 2010 that we will have to try to sell in a not-so-great market situation and I will have to pay tuition

Anderson: Anderson may not be on Kellogg's level, but it's still a good school and all the West Coast CPG companies recruit for brand managers, as do some others. My husband and I are both from LA and currently live in LA, so we would get to stay near our families and friends and we wouldn't have to sell our condo. It also means my husband doesn't need to find a new job in Chicago. And of course saving about $100,000 on tuition and fees is a huge pro. The main con is all of the pros of Kellogg that I would be missing out on and I worry that I would look back and regret that I didn't go to Kellogg.

Any opinions and insights would be greatly appreciated. I should mention that I will not have to take out any loans to pay tuition. Thanks!

Congrats on your two admits. I know you must be stoked. I would say that it's still too early to tell what the money picture will look like for Kellogg. You haven't filled out your FAFSA and aid packages aren't going out for a while. Even though you didn't get a big scholarship up front does not mean that you won't get one at all. I would refrain from pulling the trigger on either school until you find out what K is going to offer up. I don't know about Anderson but Kellogg's deposit deadline is over 2 months away. That gives you a while to figure things out, at least from that side.

Thanks. The one wrinkle is that I know I won't qualify for any need-based aid, so it would all have to be merit-based. I know a lot of people already got calls about scholarships, so I sort of assumed all of the 100% merit-based scholarships have been doled out.
VP
VP
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE: Sales (Consumer Products)
Followers: 90

Kudos [?]: 394 [0], given: 73

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Kellogg or Anderson ($$$) [#permalink] New post 20 Dec 2011, 12:02
blg529 wrote:
cheetarah1980 wrote:
blg529 wrote:

Thanks. The one wrinkle is that I know I won't qualify for any need-based aid, so it would all have to be merit-based. I know a lot of people already got calls about scholarships, so I sort of assumed all of the 100% merit-based scholarships have been doled out.

Nope, all the scholarships aren't gone by a long shot. There's still R2 and R3 applicants. While many of the big awards are announced with the admit call there are smaller scholarships that will be announced later. And some people turn down the big scholarships and someone else gets it. It is way too early to think that the money well has dried up at Kellogg.

I've been on the Kellogg admitted students site and saw the cost of attendance. It's definitely daunting. However, try not to panic yet and make snap decisions based off of very limited information. That UCLA scholarship might be the key to getting some $$ out of K in the the long run (although I wouldn't play that chip just yet).

The Brain Dump - From Low GPA to Top MBA (Updated September 1, 2013) - A Few of My Favorite Things--> http://cheetarah1980.blogspot.com

Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management
GMAT 1: Q V
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 18

Re: Kellogg or Anderson ($$$) [#permalink] New post 20 Dec 2011, 12:31
cheetarah1980 wrote:
Nope, all the scholarships aren't gone by a long shot. There's still R2 and R3 applicants. While many of the big awards are announced with the admit call there are smaller scholarships that will be announced later. And some people turn down the big scholarships and someone else gets it. It is way too early to think that the money well has dried up at Kellogg.

I've been on the Kellogg admitted students site and saw the cost of attendance. It's definitely daunting. However, try not to panic yet and make snap decisions based off of very limited information. That UCLA scholarship might be the key to getting some $$ out of K in the the long run (although I wouldn't play that chip just yet).

I'm eaves-dropping on this conversation and thought I'd chime in with a general admissions question.
Is it common (or not unheard-of) for schools to award scholarships to admitted applicants a month or two after the decision date? Could Kellogg, in this situation, just email an admitted student in February and say "Hey, here's some more scholarship money." Or is that sort of thing exceptionally rare? Congrats on two great acceptances, by the way.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
Followers: 74

Kudos [?]: 688 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: Kellogg or Anderson ($$$) [#permalink] New post 20 Dec 2011, 18:59
Kellogg gives lots of scholarships out when they provide financial aid. Extremely unlikely to get a full ride, but 15-20k is possible. There is a lot to be said about graduating debt free and is something to seriously consider. However, you can only do this once so it isn't necessarily the only factor.

I have friends that went to second tier schools (relative to the M7) and most are doing well, but some are struggling. Understand that going to a top school is not a golden ticket entitling you to everything you dream but when the economy tanked you were much better off recruiting out of a bigger name school. Who knows what the job market has in store for us the next three years. Not to say Anderson is not a great school, but it is something to evaluate in terms of your personal career path. Look on linkedin for alums of both schools to see if there are any at your target companies, and what positions they are in. Not to say you can't be the first, but a lot of jobs come from recruiting (look at recent employment reports) and/or from networking.

Not paying $1,500-$2,000 a month worth of student loans is very appealing. In reality a full ride tuition wise would still equate to 50k or so of living and misc. expenses so unless you got the cash you still will be paying $500-$750 but that still pales compared to what a full load of debt will be. That said, the debt may be worth it to you if you have a much better chance at your dream job. I am more than happy to pay my loans each month and feel the investment was worth it...but yes I would love not to have that hit on my account every month.

Kellogg Class of 2010...still active and willing to help. However, I do not do profile reviews, don't offer predictions on chances and am far to busy to review essays, so save the energy of writing me a PM seeking help for these. If I don't respond to a PM that is not one of the previously mentioned trash can destined messages, please don't take it personally I get so many messages I have a hard to responding to most. The more interesting, compelling, or humorous you message the more likely I am to respond.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Kellogg or Anderson ($$$) [#permalink] New post 21 Dec 2011, 05:30
So I'm facing a very similar scenario with these same two schools, and I'm absolutely torn. Like you, I also want to do brand management so passing on Kellogg is tough. That said, going back to LA is one of my dreams, and the money helps too. My biggest fear at UCLA is that I won't end up at Mattel/Nestle, and I will have to look for other brand management roles in LA that might not be as appealing to me. I know of Anderson students at both companies, but from what I was able to tell, it's super competitive to get in.
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q41 V46
GMAT 2: 740 Q47 V45
GPA: 3
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 56

Re: Kellogg or Anderson ($$$) [#permalink] New post 21 Dec 2011, 09:38
FYI I received a scholarship offer from Kellogg about a month after I was initially admitted, so I would give it some time before discounting any chance of a merit-based scholarship from Kellogg.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 1

Re: Kellogg or Anderson ($$$) [#permalink] New post 12 Mar 2012, 18:32
This post received
KUDOS
So many full rides here on gmatclub, awesome!

Again, a FULL ride vs NOTHING makes it easy to go to the one with the full ride. Wait to see if Kellogg gives you anything, if it's at least $30k-$40k, then I would do Kellogg, but if it's nothing or only $10k or so, then I would take the $100k from Anderson.

Anderson wants you bad if they are giving you a full ride, and companies understand that top-notch students such as you sometimes go the financially prudent route rather than the name-recognition route and go with schools like Anderson vs Kellogg. If I were hiring, I would definitely check for "diamonds" everywhere, and at Anderson, you'll stand out as well.
Re: Kellogg or Anderson ($$$)   [#permalink] 12 Mar 2012, 18:32