Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 04:09

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Kellogg or Stern or Haas

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Kellogg or Stern or Haas [#permalink] New post 03 Dec 2009, 10:42
I have an admission offer from Stern PT and Kellogg PT. I also have an interview invite from Haas PT.

My education and professional experience has been in technology industry (software to be precise). I am looking to major in General Mgmt and Technology.

Any ideas what would be a better school for me?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Kellogg or Stern or Haas [#permalink] New post 03 Dec 2009, 10:59
I am looking at the same PT programs (as well as Chicago and UCLA).

My impressions:The strengths of the full-time program will be the strengths of the part-time program as well. If you are interested in building a strong network with the students, then the location where you intend to live after MBA is important as most of the part-time students will stay local. If you are interested in the brand, then look at the rankings.

How are you handling the job situation? Relocating or flying in on the weekends?
Intern
Intern

Re: Kellogg or Stern or Haas [#permalink] New post 03 Dec 2009, 11:10
I will be relocating. I do not have a preference for location after MBA. So which would be a better school?
Intern
Intern

Re: Kellogg or Stern or Haas [#permalink] New post 03 Dec 2009, 11:49
In my opinion, Kellogg or Stern would definately be Kellogg.

Kellogg and Haas would be a more interesting choice. The higher rankings and slightly better management and marketing programs versus the location of Haas to Silicon Valley. If you plan on living anywhere else besides California after school, I would go with Kellogg.
Intern
Intern

Re: Kellogg or Stern or Haas [#permalink] New post 03 Dec 2009, 13:56
Thanks for your response.

How about if you put technology industry into perspective? Is Haas considered way better as far as Technology Industry is concerned?
Intern
Intern

Re: Kellogg or Stern or Haas [#permalink] New post 03 Dec 2009, 17:59
I would strongly consider Haas if you want to work in California after you graduate. There is the ease of accessing the companies in Silicon Valley and the large number of alumnis. They also have a lot of engineers in the PT program with similar goals as you if that is important to you.

Otherwise, I would go with Kellogg.
Intern
Intern

Re: Kellogg or Stern or Haas [#permalink] New post 03 Dec 2009, 19:53
I do not have a preference for location after my MBA. So do you still think Haas is better than Kellogg?
Intern
Intern

Re: Kellogg or Stern or Haas [#permalink] New post 03 Dec 2009, 20:36
All things being equal, I would choose Kellogg.
Current Student
Schools: MIT Sloan 2012
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 1

Re: Kellogg or Stern or Haas [#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2009, 12:28
One thing about the Kellogg P/T program is that they require you to be fully employed to apply to it (I asked the Adcom). In my case (living and working in NYC), I can't apply to Kellogg PT because I would have to quit my job and move to Evanston and find a new job THEN apply (which is not a sure thing anyway).

Chicago PT does not have this limitation nor does Haas. I don't think Stern has that limitation as well.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 1

Re: Kellogg or Stern or Haas [#permalink] New post 21 Feb 2010, 19:24
jzd wrote:
One thing about the Kellogg P/T program is that they require you to be fully employed to apply to it (I asked the Adcom). In my case (living and working in NYC), I can't apply to Kellogg PT because I would have to quit my job and move to Evanston and find a new job THEN apply (which is not a sure thing anyway).

Chicago PT does not have this limitation nor does Haas. I don't think Stern has that limitation as well.

JZD, I think you have rather strict interpretation of the Kellogg rules. Just because you may have to be fully employed to apply does not mean you need to be fully employed after application. Also, I can't imagine any school not allowing someone to quit their job and look for something else during their MBA studies. In other words, quitting your job at NYC and moving to Chicago and looking for an another job should be perfectly acceptable.

Finally, worst case scenario, no school in the world would dismiss you as a student if you can't find a job.
Re: Kellogg or Stern or Haas   [#permalink] 21 Feb 2010, 19:24