Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 14 Sep 2014, 20:03

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Kellogg School of Management

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 04 Jan 2005
Posts: 283
Location: Milan
Schools: Wharton, LBS, UChicago, Kellogg MMM (Donald Jacobs Scholarship), Stanford, HBS
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 134 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: Kellogg School of Management [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2008, 23:25
mc007, thanks for your inputs. Are you a current mmm student?

P.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 06 Jan 2008
Posts: 218
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Kellogg School of Management [#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2008, 19:17
How do you guys recommend getting started with the essays? I'm half waiting to be just compelled to start writing drafts, but I don't think I have all my career goals at point where I can get them clearly articulated yet.
What techniques did you find most helpful to get the ball rolling on your essays?
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 04 Dec 2007
Posts: 1689
Schools: Kellogg '11
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 178 [0], given: 31

GMAT Tests User
Re: Kellogg School of Management [#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2008, 19:52
Manbehindthecurtain wrote:
How do you guys recommend getting started with the essays? I'm half waiting to be just compelled to start writing drafts, but I don't think I have all my career goals at point where I can get them clearly articulated yet.
What techniques did you find most helpful to get the ball rolling on your essays?


I just started with an ordinary outline...I picked a format/structure that I liked from the Bodine book and went from there. I imagine that by the time I'm through with the edits, the structure will no longer be so similar but it helped provide an initial framework for my thoughts.

cheers,
ac.
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 04 Dec 2007
Posts: 1689
Schools: Kellogg '11
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 178 [0], given: 31

GMAT Tests User
Re: Kellogg School of Management [#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2008, 19:57
hey ambassadors,
Two questions for you:
1) it seems that Kellogg allows you to be pretty flexible in choosing majors/concentrations. From what you've heard/experienced, at what point do MBA students actually declare their majors/concentrations? I imagine it would be sometime during Fall Semester of Year 1 but am curious....
2) The Kellogg adcom at an info session I went to implied that professors are pretty heavily involved in guiding students, offering career/life suggestions, etc. Does this apply to all professors? just advisors?

Thanks,
ac.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 06 Apr 2008
Posts: 171
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

Re: Kellogg School of Management [#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2008, 23:20
riverripper. I had some questions about Kellogg so I PM'ed you.

hoping you can help me out :-D
1 KUDOS received
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
User avatar
Joined: 10 Apr 2007
Posts: 4320
Location: Back in Chicago, IL
Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
Followers: 78

Kudos [?]: 693 [1] , given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: Kellogg School of Management [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2008, 05:30
1
This post received
KUDOS
Foo, PM returned..

As for writing essays, I wrote a little bit about how I did mine last year here: http://gmatclub.com/forum/post500256.html#p500256

ac8706 wrote:
hey ambassadors,
Two questions for you:
1) it seems that Kellogg allows you to be pretty flexible in choosing majors/concentrations. From what you've heard/experienced, at what point do MBA students actually declare their majors/concentrations? I imagine it would be sometime during Fall Semester of Year 1 but am curious....
2) The Kellogg adcom at an info session I went to implied that professors are pretty heavily involved in guiding students, offering career/life suggestions, etc. Does this apply to all professors? just advisors?

Thanks,
ac.


I am not at school yet so answering the professor part is tough, I will base it on what I was told (and I think it probably is true at most schools). Professors are often very helpful, they take pride in helping students out. If you are pursuing something in their area of expertise or research they often go out of their way to help you. Not sure how it works with super common careers like MC or IB, the popular profs who are experts in these fields are goign to be very very popular so probably wont be as much help as someone who specializes in something more unusual that you want to get into like Healthcare, Energy, Tech, etc.

From what I have been told you really dont choose majors so much as fall into them because of the courses you take. It is pretty common for people to have 3 majors, sometimes more. Some classes actually meet requirements in multiple majors. I wouldnt worry about the majors thing. Just take the classes you want and you will fulfill the requirements for at least a few.
_________________

Kellogg Class of 2010...still active and willing to help. However, I do not do profile reviews, don't offer predictions on chances and am far to busy to review essays, so save the energy of writing me a PM seeking help for these. If I don't respond to a PM that is not one of the previously mentioned trash can destined messages, please don't take it personally I get so many messages I have a hard to responding to most. The more interesting, compelling, or humorous you message the more likely I am to respond.
Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 29 Mar 2007
Posts: 3
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Kellogg School of Management [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2008, 14:32
Paradosso wrote:
mc007, thanks for your inputs. Are you a current mmm student?

P.


I am an admit for class 2010.. feel free to ask me anything on the mmm program.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 06 Apr 2008
Posts: 171
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

Re: Kellogg School of Management [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2008, 23:49
Kudos river!
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 04 Jan 2005
Posts: 283
Location: Milan
Schools: Wharton, LBS, UChicago, Kellogg MMM (Donald Jacobs Scholarship), Stanford, HBS
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 134 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: Kellogg School of Management [#permalink] New post 31 Jul 2008, 05:26
mc007bond wrote:
Paradosso wrote:
mc007, thanks for your inputs. Are you a current mmm student?

P.


I am an admit for class 2010.. feel free to ask me anything on the mmm program.


Wonderful, thanks for your courtesy. I will definitely get back to you as I am seriously thinking about the MMM program.

P.
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 04 Dec 2007
Posts: 1689
Schools: Kellogg '11
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 178 [0], given: 31

GMAT Tests User
Re: Kellogg School of Management [#permalink] New post 02 Aug 2008, 16:57
riverripper wrote:
ac8706 wrote:
hey ambassadors,
Two questions for you:
1) it seems that Kellogg allows you to be pretty flexible in choosing majors/concentrations. From what you've heard/experienced, at what point do MBA students actually declare their majors/concentrations? I imagine it would be sometime during Fall Semester of Year 1 but am curious....
2) The Kellogg adcom at an info session I went to implied that professors are pretty heavily involved in guiding students, offering career/life suggestions, etc. Does this apply to all professors? just advisors?

Thanks,
ac.


I am not at school yet so answering the professor part is tough, I will base it on what I was told (and I think it probably is true at most schools). Professors are often very helpful, they take pride in helping students out. If you are pursuing something in their area of expertise or research they often go out of their way to help you. Not sure how it works with super common careers like MC or IB, the popular profs who are experts in these fields are goign to be very very popular so probably wont be as much help as someone who specializes in something more unusual that you want to get into like Healthcare, Energy, Tech, etc.

From what I have been told you really dont choose majors so much as fall into them because of the courses you take. It is pretty common for people to have 3 majors, sometimes more. Some classes actually meet requirements in multiple majors. I wouldnt worry about the majors thing. Just take the classes you want and you will fulfill the requirements for at least a few.


Thanks very much river!!
it's helpful to know that there isn't as strong an emphasis on majors at Kellogg as at othr schools - I imagine that not needing to declare right away gives you all sorts of flexibility to take other classes that you might not have initially considered! That's pretty great :)

also what you described about the professors makes a lot of sense - I imagine some of the more popular professors would be in high demand and perhaps have less time to spend on mentoring. But it's good to know that for those of us considering careers outside the traditional IB/MC (for me it's in the health industry) that the professors are involved and willing to help out. Since they are often the experts in their fields, getting their perspectives on recent trends, employment, etc will be incredibly helpful!

thanks again,
ac.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 21 Apr 2008
Posts: 497
Schools: Kellogg, MIT, Michigan, Berkeley, Marshall, Mellon
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: Kellogg School of Management [#permalink] New post 03 Aug 2008, 07:26
riverripper, let me a specific question:

Do you know any teacher from the aeronautical sector?

And sorry if this question is very far from the topic we are talking about

Cheers
_________________

mates, please visit my profile and leave comments
johnlewis1980-s-profile-feedback-is-more-than-welcome-80538.html

I'm not linked to GMAT questions anymore, so, if you need something, please PM me

I'm already focused on my application package :)

My experience in my second attempt
http://gmatclub.com/forum/p544312#p544312
My experience in my third attempt
630-q-47-v-28-engineer-non-native-speaker-my-experience-78215.html#p588275

Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 04 Jan 2007
Posts: 169
Schools: HBS Stanford Kellogg Wharton Tuck MIT Sloan
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

Re: Kellogg School of Management [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2008, 07:13
Ripper,

Great information in the employment report ! thanks !
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
User avatar
Joined: 10 Apr 2007
Posts: 4320
Location: Back in Chicago, IL
Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
Followers: 78

Kudos [?]: 693 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: Kellogg School of Management [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2008, 07:24
JohnLewis1980 wrote:
Do you know any teacher from the aeronautical sector?


Not really what you are looking at for a career path. I know that some of the big airlines recruit and Boeing hires people. Heck Dean Jain sat on the board of Directors for United, so there is a pretty good connection there.

I am no expert on who does what at the school yet but going through the website for professors areas of expertise I came across Professor Gellman http://www.kellogg.northwestern.edu/Faculty/Directory/Gellman_Aaron.aspx
_________________

Kellogg Class of 2010...still active and willing to help. However, I do not do profile reviews, don't offer predictions on chances and am far to busy to review essays, so save the energy of writing me a PM seeking help for these. If I don't respond to a PM that is not one of the previously mentioned trash can destined messages, please don't take it personally I get so many messages I have a hard to responding to most. The more interesting, compelling, or humorous you message the more likely I am to respond.
Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 06 Jan 2008
Posts: 218
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Kellogg School of Management [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2008, 18:30
This sounds trivial, but in the employment history section of the employment form, it asks what your desired position after kellogg is under the section that asks you to fill in your current employer. It also asks for a description of your goals.

Do you think this is just a section to drop in a quick goal statement and hypothetical job title for after graduation? Seems odd there would only be a single line for career goals here while half of the first essay is dedicated to career goals.
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 20 Aug 2007
Posts: 853
Location: Chicago
Schools: Chicago Booth 2011
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 82 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Kellogg School of Management [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2008, 05:33
Hey River, it turns out the first essay is different for MMM applicants than regular 2Y applicants. The question is:

Briefly assess your career progress to date. How does the MMM program meet your educational needs and career goals?

How much do you think should be spent on "why MMM", since I'm sure they're also looking for "why Kellogg?" I already wrote a 2-page essay answering the regular 2Y question, so I'm trying to gauge how much of it I should change to accomodate MMM.

Also, how hard/easy is it to leave MMM...e.g. if I decide consulting/mgmt isn't for me and I want to go into finance/IB?

thanks
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
User avatar
Joined: 10 Apr 2007
Posts: 4320
Location: Back in Chicago, IL
Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
Followers: 78

Kudos [?]: 693 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: Kellogg School of Management [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2008, 09:52
Not an expert in MMM but I met a MMM at DAK who was actually going into IB, so its possible. I think if you want to leave the program it wouldnt be all that bad. However, remember if you are going to go into IB you pretty much have to decide that before you show up because they immediately start recruiting.

We can see some of the upcoming recruiting stuff now and its crazy how many different companies and events there are. They start almost immediately too.
_________________

Kellogg Class of 2010...still active and willing to help. However, I do not do profile reviews, don't offer predictions on chances and am far to busy to review essays, so save the energy of writing me a PM seeking help for these. If I don't respond to a PM that is not one of the previously mentioned trash can destined messages, please don't take it personally I get so many messages I have a hard to responding to most. The more interesting, compelling, or humorous you message the more likely I am to respond.
Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 30 Apr 2008
Posts: 1893
Location: Oklahoma City
Schools: Hard Knocks
Followers: 29

Kudos [?]: 433 [0], given: 32

GMAT Tests User
Re: Kellogg School of Management [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2008, 10:01
River- When Paul at Accepted.com posts about Kellogg, he seems to always mention EC's are valued very highly at Kellogg. What is your experience with this and others you've seen that have been accepted to Kellogg?

Also, how big of a hurdle is GPA to get over at Kellogg?

If you know answers to these, that's great, otherwise, I'll keep searching and post results.
_________________

------------------------------------
J Allen Morris
**I'm pretty sure I'm right, but then again, I'm just a guy with his head up his a$$.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 27 Feb 2008
Posts: 299
Schools: Kellogg Class of 2011
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 69 [0], given: 15

GMAT Tests User
Re: Kellogg School of Management [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2008, 10:55
riverripper wrote:
We can see some of the upcoming recruiting stuff now and its crazy how many different companies and events there are. They start almost immediately too.


I think I remember the adcom staff or students saying that Kellogg makes recruiters wait a month or so before they can actively recruit new students. They were the only school I remember saying that. Did I misunderstand?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
User avatar
Joined: 10 Apr 2007
Posts: 4320
Location: Back in Chicago, IL
Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
Followers: 78

Kudos [?]: 693 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: Kellogg School of Management [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2008, 11:46
jallenmorris wrote:
River- When Paul at Accepted.com posts about Kellogg, he seems to always mention EC's are valued very highly at Kellogg. What is your experience with this and others you've seen that have been accepted to Kellogg?

Also, how big of a hurdle is GPA to get over at Kellogg?


Honestly, I had no real EC's post college...I was too busy working on my house for the last few to even think about them. I would say the people who had minimal or unimpressive EC's outnumber the ones that are heavily involved. Its definitely nice to have but thats true at all schools. I would tell anyone who is serious about Kellogg to give it a try no matter what their EC involvement is. I think that Kellogg does try to bring a more diverse well rounded class in and all things equal EC's probably are a factor. If you dont have many EC's post college write about what you do with your time to show you arent sitting at home watching star trek repeats everyday. Talk about what you love to do with your time, it can simply be a hobby.

I had a decent GPA (a little below average), it was crappy for a few semesters and it wasnt from a good school at all. I wouldnt worry about it, especially if you have a solid work experience. Not everyone is going to have a 3.6+. I think its easier to explain away a bad GPA than bad work or even GMAT. There is a huge difference between the way schools grade, the difficulty of majors, etc...that schools really cant say well he only had a 3.1 in electrical engineering from MIT...lets admit the Sociology major from State U with the 3.8 instead.


maverick2011 wrote:
I think I remember the adcom staff or students saying that Kellogg makes recruiters wait a month or so before they can actively recruit new students. They were the only school I remember saying that. Did I misunderstand?


True to a point...we dont start classes until the last week of September and companies cant have 1st years recruiting until about the middle of October. There is a huge amount of recruiting starting in Sept but its only open to 2nd years.
_________________

Kellogg Class of 2010...still active and willing to help. However, I do not do profile reviews, don't offer predictions on chances and am far to busy to review essays, so save the energy of writing me a PM seeking help for these. If I don't respond to a PM that is not one of the previously mentioned trash can destined messages, please don't take it personally I get so many messages I have a hard to responding to most. The more interesting, compelling, or humorous you message the more likely I am to respond.
Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 30 Apr 2008
Posts: 1893
Location: Oklahoma City
Schools: Hard Knocks
Followers: 29

Kudos [?]: 433 [0], given: 32

GMAT Tests User
Re: Kellogg School of Management [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2008, 12:42
River - Kellogg is my #1 now, and the more i talk to you, the more separation there is between #1 and #2 (Tuck).
_________________

------------------------------------
J Allen Morris
**I'm pretty sure I'm right, but then again, I'm just a guy with his head up his a$$.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: Kellogg School of Management   [#permalink] 08 Aug 2008, 12:42
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
Kellogg School of Management 2014-2015 Deadlines BlogBot 0 14 Jul 2014, 10:07
3 Experts publish their posts in the topic Columbia vs. Kellogg for general management jambi 13 31 Mar 2014, 13:03
29 Experts publish their posts in the topic Journey to Kellogg School of Management. mgg234 31 25 Mar 2014, 09:01
School Visit - Kellogg vibarora 2 01 Jul 2010, 06:56
7 Kellogg School of Managemnt - MMM Program domtri33 40 13 Aug 2009, 09:18
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Kellogg School of Management

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5   6   7    Next  [ 135 posts ] 



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.