Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 14:13 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 14:13

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 143 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, VC
Schools:Wharton, LBS, UChicago, Kellogg MMM (Donald Jacobs Scholarship), Stanford, HBS
 Q47  V45
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Kellogg School of Management [#permalink]
Paradosso wrote:
Kellogg is high on my list since I want to transition from MC (Bain) to a GM/product management role in a tech-oriented media company (e.g. Amazon, Apple). My career goals made me consider the MMM, though I see most students have engineering while I majored in management and cinema) and my weakest grade in UG is a bloody C+ in... statistics for business decisions (I had family issues back then though).

I'm not that bad quantitatively as I've been scoring A+/A/A- in maths, finance and other numerical courses. I am taking the GMAT in a few days and I am consistently in the Q47/49 range.

My current plan is to go for the plain MBA admit and then ask to be enrolled in MMM after researching it deeper (if there's an MMM candidate here I would love to talk to her) and possibly having took a class in statistics as a refresher. The website seems quite possibilistic on that.

I would love to hear comments and advice from current and incoming students at Kellogg (or anyone else who wants to chime in, for that matter!).

P.

don't be so worried over your UG. Just get the 80/80 split on your gmat and you'll be fine. I would suggest applying directly to the mmm program instead of transferring. your UG major isn't a concern. Its more about goals, why mmm, showing them u really want to get in and etc....

only do the stats if u get in, it really isn't used to determine if u get accepted or not. The reason for stats is that the mmm class takes accelerated finance and something else where the stats backup will help you out.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools:Wharton, LBS, UChicago, Kellogg MMM (Donald Jacobs Scholarship), Stanford, HBS
 Q47  V45
Send PM
mc007, thanks for your inputs. Are you a current mmm student?

P.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 481 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
How do you guys recommend getting started with the essays? I'm half waiting to be just compelled to start writing drafts, but I don't think I have all my career goals at point where I can get them clearly articulated yet.
What techniques did you find most helpful to get the ball rolling on your essays?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 222 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy, MC
Schools:Kellogg '11
Send PM
Manbehindthecurtain wrote:
How do you guys recommend getting started with the essays? I'm half waiting to be just compelled to start writing drafts, but I don't think I have all my career goals at point where I can get them clearly articulated yet.
What techniques did you find most helpful to get the ball rolling on your essays?

I just started with an ordinary outline...I picked a format/structure that I liked from the Bodine book and went from there. I imagine that by the time I'm through with the edits, the structure will no longer be so similar but it helped provide an initial framework for my thoughts.

cheers,
ac.
Current Student
Send PM
hey ambassadors,
Two questions for you:
1) it seems that Kellogg allows you to be pretty flexible in choosing majors/concentrations. From what you've heard/experienced, at what point do MBA students actually declare their majors/concentrations? I imagine it would be sometime during Fall Semester of Year 1 but am curious....
2) The Kellogg adcom at an info session I went to implied that professors are pretty heavily involved in guiding students, offering career/life suggestions, etc. Does this apply to all professors? just advisors?

Thanks,
ac.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Send PM
riverripper. I had some questions about Kellogg so I PM'ed you.

hoping you can help me out :-D
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Paradosso wrote:

P.

I am an admit for class 2010.. feel free to ask me anything on the mmm program.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Send PM
Kudos river!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q47  V45
Send PM
mc007bond wrote:
Paradosso wrote:

P.

I am an admit for class 2010.. feel free to ask me anything on the mmm program.

Wonderful, thanks for your courtesy. I will definitely get back to you as I am seriously thinking about the MMM program.

P.
Current Student
Send PM
riverripper wrote:
ac8706 wrote:
hey ambassadors,
Two questions for you:
1) it seems that Kellogg allows you to be pretty flexible in choosing majors/concentrations. From what you've heard/experienced, at what point do MBA students actually declare their majors/concentrations? I imagine it would be sometime during Fall Semester of Year 1 but am curious....
2) The Kellogg adcom at an info session I went to implied that professors are pretty heavily involved in guiding students, offering career/life suggestions, etc. Does this apply to all professors? just advisors?

Thanks,
ac.

I am not at school yet so answering the professor part is tough, I will base it on what I was told (and I think it probably is true at most schools). Professors are often very helpful, they take pride in helping students out. If you are pursuing something in their area of expertise or research they often go out of their way to help you. Not sure how it works with super common careers like MC or IB, the popular profs who are experts in these fields are goign to be very very popular so probably wont be as much help as someone who specializes in something more unusual that you want to get into like Healthcare, Energy, Tech, etc.

From what I have been told you really dont choose majors so much as fall into them because of the courses you take. It is pretty common for people to have 3 majors, sometimes more. Some classes actually meet requirements in multiple majors. I wouldnt worry about the majors thing. Just take the classes you want and you will fulfill the requirements for at least a few.

Thanks very much river!!
it's helpful to know that there isn't as strong an emphasis on majors at Kellogg as at othr schools - I imagine that not needing to declare right away gives you all sorts of flexibility to take other classes that you might not have initially considered! That's pretty great :)

also what you described about the professors makes a lot of sense - I imagine some of the more popular professors would be in high demand and perhaps have less time to spend on mentoring. But it's good to know that for those of us considering careers outside the traditional IB/MC (for me it's in the health industry) that the professors are involved and willing to help out. Since they are often the experts in their fields, getting their perspectives on recent trends, employment, etc will be incredibly helpful!

thanks again,
ac.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 102 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: Industrial Sector
Schools:Kellogg, MIT, Michigan, Berkeley, Marshall, Mellon
 Q47  V28
Send PM
riverripper, let me a specific question:

Do you know any teacher from the aeronautical sector?

And sorry if this question is very far from the topic we are talking about

Cheers
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Schools:HBS Stanford Kellogg Wharton Tuck MIT Sloan
 Q51  V44
Send PM
Ripper,

Great information in the employment report ! thanks !
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q49  V42
Send PM
JohnLewis1980 wrote:
Do you know any teacher from the aeronautical sector?

Not really what you are looking at for a career path. I know that some of the big airlines recruit and Boeing hires people. Heck Dean Jain sat on the board of Directors for United, so there is a pretty good connection there.

I am no expert on who does what at the school yet but going through the website for professors areas of expertise I came across Professor Gellman https://www.kellogg.northwestern.edu/Faculty/Directory/Gellman_Aaron.aspx
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 481 [0]
Send PM
This sounds trivial, but in the employment history section of the employment form, it asks what your desired position after kellogg is under the section that asks you to fill in your current employer. It also asks for a description of your goals.

Do you think this is just a section to drop in a quick goal statement and hypothetical job title for after graduation? Seems odd there would only be a single line for career goals here while half of the first essay is dedicated to career goals.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 155 [0]
Concentration: Strategy, Management, Finance
Schools:Chicago Booth 2011
 Q50  V47
Send PM
Hey River, it turns out the first essay is different for MMM applicants than regular 2Y applicants. The question is:

Briefly assess your career progress to date. How does the MMM program meet your educational needs and career goals?

How much do you think should be spent on "why MMM", since I'm sure they're also looking for "why Kellogg?" I already wrote a 2-page essay answering the regular 2Y question, so I'm trying to gauge how much of it I should change to accomodate MMM.

Also, how hard/easy is it to leave MMM...e.g. if I decide consulting/mgmt isn't for me and I want to go into finance/IB?

thanks
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Not an expert in MMM but I met a MMM at DAK who was actually going into IB, so its possible. I think if you want to leave the program it wouldnt be all that bad. However, remember if you are going to go into IB you pretty much have to decide that before you show up because they immediately start recruiting.

We can see some of the upcoming recruiting stuff now and its crazy how many different companies and events there are. They start almost immediately too.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 951 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
Concentration: Life
Schools:Hard Knocks
 Q47  V42
Send PM
River- When Paul at Accepted.com posts about Kellogg, he seems to always mention EC's are valued very highly at Kellogg. What is your experience with this and others you've seen that have been accepted to Kellogg?

Also, how big of a hurdle is GPA to get over at Kellogg?

If you know answers to these, that's great, otherwise, I'll keep searching and post results.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7