Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 26 Nov 2014, 07:11

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Kellogg School of Management

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Current Student
Schools: Kellogg '11 (MMM)
WE 1: Engineer at a Food & Beverage Company
WE 2: Engineer at an Automotive Supplier
WE 3: Consultant at a Management Consulting Firm
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

Re: Kellogg School of Management [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2008, 19:06
I'm trying to prepare for my interview by knowing specifics about the school. I was trying to find a list of student clubs so I could talk about things that interest me. Is there a list on the Kellogg website? I can't find one.

Thanks!

"You can only be young once. But you can always be immature."

Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Current Student
Schools: Ross '12 (MBA/MS)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 75 [0], given: 34

Re: Kellogg School of Management [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2008, 21:34
balki1867 wrote:
I'm trying to prepare for my interview by knowing specifics about the school. I was trying to find a list of student clubs so I could talk about things that interest me. Is there a list on the Kellogg website? I can't find one.

Thanks!

Here you go.
Director
Director
Schools: Kellogg Class of 2011
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 145 [0], given: 9

Re: Kellogg School of Management [#permalink] New post 14 Nov 2008, 20:23
Can anyone give me some insight on the IBCM track? It seems fascinating, and I particularly love how Professor Stowell seems to have made it his personal project. Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 1

Re: Kellogg School of Management [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2008, 10:10
jb32 wrote:
Can anyone give me some insight on the IBCM track? It seems fascinating, and I particularly love how Professor Stowell seems to have made it his personal project. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Hi jb, don't know a ton about it other than I know a few people who are involved in it to beef up on the IB/IM route. A friend of mine in particular has come from a consulting background with little IM experience and is now doing a ton of stuff through IBCM (including a stock pitch competition). The Asset Management Practicum is another program (a class for 4 quarters) that is particularly notable for IM. As for banking in particular, a few friends of mine have been doing the visit days with places like JPM and have been going to all the recruiting events on grounds.
Current Student
Schools: HBS Stanford Kellogg Wharton Tuck MIT Sloan
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

Re: Kellogg School of Management [#permalink] New post 24 Nov 2008, 07:15
I submitted part 1 of my app for round 2 yesterday. and requested an off campus interview outside the US.

Does everyone pretty much get interviewed ? Anyone here who requested off campus and got dinged in part 1 ?

I have not heard from them in the 8 hours since I submitted my application - and I am giving in to my paranoia.

What is the usual wait time for a response ?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
Followers: 78

Kudos [?]: 707 [0], given: 5

Re: Kellogg School of Management [#permalink] New post 24 Nov 2008, 16:00
Your application is not complete until you submit part 2...one thing I am 100% confident in is that you will not be dinged after only submitting part 1. They interview about 90% of people, probably a lot of the ones not interviewed are internationals located where there are few alums who volunteer to do the interviews. 100% of people admitted are interviewed though. This year with another 20% increase in applications I think the percentage of people interviewed wiill probably go down unless they recruit more alums to interview.

Kellogg Class of 2010...still active and willing to help. However, I do not do profile reviews, don't offer predictions on chances and am far to busy to review essays, so save the energy of writing me a PM seeking help for these. If I don't respond to a PM that is not one of the previously mentioned trash can destined messages, please don't take it personally I get so many messages I have a hard to responding to most. The more interesting, compelling, or humorous you message the more likely I am to respond.
Take a Survey about GMAT Prep - Win Prizes!

Current Student
Schools: HBS Stanford Kellogg Wharton Tuck MIT Sloan
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

Re: Kellogg School of Management [#permalink] New post 24 Nov 2008, 16:40
Ripper,

Thanks for the reassurance. Working on part 2 now.
SVP
SVP
Schools: Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Followers: 74

Kudos [?]: 689 [0], given: 548

Reviews Badge
Re: Kellogg School of Management [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2008, 06:55
What is Kellogg's policy on deferring enrollment for a year.....might have to consider it just in case later on.

If I request this, is this binding?

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Re: Kellogg School of Management [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2008, 09:13
ninkorn wrote:
What is Kellogg's policy on deferring enrollment for a year.....might have to consider it just in case later on.

If I request this, is this binding?

They are usually very strict about it. Basically its for health reasons of you or an immediate family member. If you are an international with some serious visa issue they may work with you. I know one person who was given a deferral for a serious illness last year and is in our class...I also know of a person who was told no and had to reapply.

However, they realize that a large number of people seeking deferments are doing it so they can try to get in to HBS or Stanford or something like that. So they arent going to be very easy to get, especially this year with so many highly qualified applicants. My thoughts are you arent going to be getting a deferment unless you or a close family is going to be in the hospital a lot.

Kellogg Class of 2010...still active and willing to help. However, I do not do profile reviews, don't offer predictions on chances and am far to busy to review essays, so save the energy of writing me a PM seeking help for these. If I don't respond to a PM that is not one of the previously mentioned trash can destined messages, please don't take it personally I get so many messages I have a hard to responding to most. The more interesting, compelling, or humorous you message the more likely I am to respond.

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Kellogg School of Management [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2008, 21:55
Hi River,

Can you please tell me if taking a few courses from Medill is possible while opting for a 2 yr Kellogg MBA? I am currently in the media industry and there are some courses in IMC (Medill) that're just mouth watering!!!

Was wondering if we have the flexibility to take credits from there...
1 KUDOS received
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Kudos [?]: 707 [1] , given: 5

Re: Kellogg School of Management [#permalink] New post 20 Dec 2008, 07:40
This post received
KUDOS
trucker wrote:
Hi River,

Can you please tell me if taking a few courses from Medill is possible while opting for a 2 yr Kellogg MBA? I am currently in the media industry and there are some courses in IMC (Medill) that're just mouth watering!!!

Was wondering if we have the flexibility to take credits from there...

From what I know, you have to petition for them to count for credits towards your MBA. I know a second year who did that with some engineering classes, I think as long as you make a case for why it should count they will work with you. One thing to think of is that as a fulltime student there is a lot of flexibility with auditing classes in other areas. I know a few second years who audited entire courses in other areas including undergrad (wanted to learn some spanish). You just have to talk with the professor about it but if there is room its not too hard. Advantage it doesnt cost any money, disadvantage no credit for it and it wont be on your transcript...however it also doesnt take up a credit you can use for something else...and no grades and finals.

Intern
Intern

Re: Kellogg School of Management [#permalink] New post 20 Dec 2008, 13:51
That's great info. Time permitting, auditing does sound the better option of the two. Though I was thinking of separately applying to Medill in case the 2 yr MBA doesn't work out for me.

Thanks a lot River!
Intern
Intern

Re: Kellogg School of Management [#permalink] New post 04 Feb 2009, 07:25
Hi,

I'm planning a visit to Kellogg this June. Does the school prefer students to visit the admissions office? I know that some schools don't track visits, but some do and weigh them in your application. Would appreciate any insights, thanks.

Regards,
Aboo
Current Student
Schools: Wharton, LBS, UChicago, Kellogg MMM (Donald Jacobs Scholarship), Stanford, HBS
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 134 [0], given: 3

Re: Kellogg School of Management [#permalink] New post 04 Feb 2009, 10:52
Kellogg tracks visits, though I doubt it carries any weight per se when decision time comes. It does to the extent you can improve your application building on your experience visiting.
Director
Director
Schools: Duke 2012
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 116 [0], given: 16

Re: Kellogg School of Management [#permalink] New post 24 Feb 2009, 21:13
River (or other Kelloggian) - Could you recommend a good week to visit this Spring (or in contrast, good weeks NOT to visit this Spring) based on how the academic calendar shakes out in terms of exams and other busy weeks?

"Egotism is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity." - Frank Leahy

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Re: Kellogg School of Management [#permalink] New post 25 Feb 2009, 06:34
highhopes wrote:
River (or other Kelloggian) - Could you recommend a good week to visit this Spring (or in contrast, good weeks NOT to visit this Spring) based on how the academic calendar shakes out in terms of exams and other busy weeks?

Anytime in April will work, dont go the two weeks of march since thats finals and spring break.

Current Student
Schools: Kellogg Class of 2012
WE 1: Energy Risk Consulting
WE 2: Commodities Finance
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 11

Re: Kellogg School of Management [#permalink] New post 22 Apr 2009, 12:22
riverripper wrote:
highhopes wrote:

Anytime in April will work, dont go the two weeks of march since thats finals and spring break.

I was thinking about trying to come sometime next month if I can get time off. I noticed that the calendar has visits until May, but I was curious if finals/other obligations would limit opportunities to meet students.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Re: Kellogg School of Management [#permalink] New post 23 Apr 2009, 22:33
unhedged wrote:
I was thinking about trying to come sometime next month if I can get time off. I noticed that the calendar has visits until May, but I was curious if finals/other obligations would limit opportunities to meet students.

Finals arent until June so you would be fine coming in May.

Intern
Intern
Schools: Kellogg

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Kellogg School of Management [#permalink] New post 02 May 2009, 09:26
A specific application question:
Does Kellogg's online application allow only scanned transcript? Can I self report instead?

Thanks very much!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Re: Kellogg School of Management [#permalink] New post 02 May 2009, 13:28
I believe its scanned only.

Re: Kellogg School of Management   [#permalink] 02 May 2009, 13:28