Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 12:11

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Kellogg to shrink two-year MBA program

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Schools: Kellogg '10
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 87 [0], given: 15

Kellogg to shrink two-year MBA program [#permalink] New post 06 Feb 2012, 16:23
http://management.fortune.cnn.com/2012/ ... a-program/

Apologies if this has been posted already. Looks like new Kellogg plan is to reduce 2Y program by about 25% while increasing 1Y by 2-3X.

I recall discussions of increasing the 1Y program while I was there, which was generally opposed by 1Ys, but the 2Y change is pretty surprising to me.

Might have some big implications on relative acceptance rates at the two different programs. I would imagine the undergrad B-school requirement would have to be relaxed some to keep up the quality of 1Y admits.

http://www.fantasticcontraption.com

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
Followers: 78

Kudos [?]: 702 [0], given: 5

Re: Kellogg to shrink two-year MBA program [#permalink] New post 06 Feb 2012, 17:27
I agree with shrinking the 2 year program some but sure hope they take their time increasing the 1y class size so they don't devalue it by accepting mediocre applicants.

Based on what I have seen and heard the expansion of the 1y program is heavily influenced by some of the consulting companies that recruit. Several, especially BCG love to send their current employees through the one year program for a variety of reason...such as it costs them a lot less and they don't lose their people for 2 years.

If they can get big name consulting companies to influence current employees to choose Kellogg's 1y over other 2 year options then it will be a big help to the school. It ensures better employment stats (more top tier MC and that pulls up the pay) and lets them pump more people into their alumni ranks. As long as they don't water down the admission requirements for the 1y it is a good thing.

http://www.envisionkellogg.com/

Kellogg Class of 2010...still active and willing to help. However, I do not do profile reviews, don't offer predictions on chances and am far to busy to review essays, so save the energy of writing me a PM seeking help for these. If I don't respond to a PM that is not one of the previously mentioned trash can destined messages, please don't take it personally I get so many messages I have a hard to responding to most. The more interesting, compelling, or humorous you message the more likely I am to respond.
Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Status: Taking heavily leveraged but calculated risks at all times
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
Schools: HBS '15, Stanford '15
GMAT Date: 01-31-2012
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 12

Re: Kellogg to shrink two-year MBA program [#permalink] New post 11 Feb 2012, 10:48
Agree. 2Y programs are more of a network building excersise anyway. Makes sense to reduce their length a little , say to about 18-20 months. Would be a time saver for a lot of us impatient folks.
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GMAT 2: Q V
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 3

Re: Kellogg to shrink two-year MBA program [#permalink] New post 11 Feb 2012, 11:12
Did the article say how quickly they are going to be reducing the 2Y program by 25%? Is this change going to take effect immediately?
Re: Kellogg to shrink two-year MBA program   [#permalink] 11 Feb 2012, 11:12