Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 02:44 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 02:44

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Tags:
Find Similar Topics  Add a Tag
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [2]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [2]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Schools: LBS '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 690 Q39 V45
GPA: 3.92
WE:General Management (Other)
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 329 [2]
Given Kudos: 175
Schools: Johnson (Cornell) - Class of 2015
WE:Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 84 [2]
Given Kudos: 58
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Dartmouth (Tuck) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.66
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Re: Kellogg/Tuck/Yale SOM/Darden ($)/Tepper ($)/Chicago WL [#permalink]
Kudos
Pardon my bias, but Tuckies aren't crazy :) Of course you get a few weird ones in every batch, but I think that's to be expected.
Full disclosure: my final decision was between Booth and Tuck, and I'm enjoying the woods.

Tuck is extremely social, and that's because of the location. We don't have Chicago or Boston or NYC, but that also means that Tuckies are fairly "all in" because we can't maintain our BOS/CHI/NYC social circles each weekend because it's too far away.

Per the dating scenario, us ladies have found that in our class, TONS of the men are partnered, and almost none of the women are. Less awesome for me than for you.

All these pro-tuck thoughts aside, reading this thread it doesn't seem like you're that into Tuck (thats ok, its not for everyone). Very few people settle for Tuck, its almost never a rational count up the pro's and con's kind of decision, but rather an emotional one that brings people to Hanover.
Happy to answer any other questions.

riskylvrg wrote:
Or it could be a huge mistake. I do want to end up in NYC - I love, love, love New York but I grew up in a small town (albeit not as small as Hanover) and the thought of a very limited social interaction terrifies me - I am super social - but then getting "tuck-ed" away with 300 of your best friends doesn't sound as bad at all.

That's what scares me - a question to current Tuckies - Do a lot of people come to Tuck with "baggage"? I remember my interview at Tuck and I met some pretty cool applicants that could totally understand where I was coming from and kept teasing me about Hanover. Until I came across this dude who claimed that his dream is to get a hut somewhere in the woods and stay there through his MBA. Creepy.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [1]
Given Kudos: 479
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
Schools: Duke '16 (M)
Send PM
Kudos
I'll just say a BIG congrats on the turnaround and the massive admits and move on. That is a very impressive list indeed! :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Kudos
So school fit wasn't really considered until after you submitted your applications and received decisions? I just can't understand why you would apply to 12 schools in round 1...are you sure none of your waitlists or dings were the result of juggling so many different applications? It was probably hard to get into the mindset of each particular school and write the most compelling essays when you had to write so many.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
NA

Originally posted by breakthelaw on 23 Dec 2012, 15:55.
Last edited by breakthelaw on 05 Mar 2013, 09:59, edited 2 times in total.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 447 [0]
Given Kudos: 74
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE:Sales (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Congrats on all of your admits. That's wonderful news. I remember you from last year's Booth thread and I'm so glad you had more success this year.
As for which school you should attend, I have no clue. Can you attend all of the admit weekends? That should help you get a feel of where you belong. Also look at placements for each school into PE/VC/HF/buyside. At the end of the day we are all in bschool to get jobs. Make the first cut at that level. Once you choose the 2-3 schools that will best position you for the job you want then base the rest on what you want for your personal life. I really only know two of the schools you're looking at so I can't compare them against the others.
Sorry I can't be more helpful.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Send PM
NONE [#permalink]
NA

Originally posted by breakthelaw on 23 Dec 2012, 09:24.
Last edited by breakthelaw on 05 Mar 2013, 09:31, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 168 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V35
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V42
Send PM
Echos Cheets comments. I am Tuck biased obviously, but given what all you are looking for - dating scene, finance strength etc. - I think Kellogg suits you better. I have heard that Finance is very strong at Kellogg, contrary to what a lot of people think. Its obviously a great school. Between Chicago and Kellogg, Chicago's stronger than Kellogg.

The icing for you would be to get an admit from MIT Sloan. No further thinking required then - fits all your checkboxes, and don't forget the prestige factor as well. Cheers!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
NA

Originally posted by breakthelaw on 23 Dec 2012, 09:58.
Last edited by breakthelaw on 05 Mar 2013, 09:56, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Given Kudos: 27
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V35
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V42
Send PM
riskylvrg wrote:
str1der wrote:
The icing for you would be to get an admit from MIT Sloan. No further thinking required then - fits all your checkboxes, and don't forget the prestige factor as well. Cheers!

Thank you! But do you really think MIT is better than Chicago/ Kellogg? Boston is great for social life, while being a manageable city but I had a feeling that MIT Sloan was almost too quant - I have heard stories that companies recruit only for quant hedge funds/ logistics/ supply chain management positions, engineering type stuff almost.

I have no problem with quant rigor but definitely don't want to be doing regressions all day in my next job. What do you think?

I think the too quant image is a misconception ppl have. Recruiting wise, a lot of the class goes into consulting, and finance. High on entrepreneurship. And there are enough 'stories' floating around on every school :) read about the school. Its career report etc. that will probably provide the best picture
VP
VP
Send PM
riskylvrg wrote:
cheetarah1980 wrote:
Congrats on all of your admits. I really only know two of the schools you're looking at so I can't compare them against the others.

You could :) Would really appreciate a comment on Booth vs Kellogg - do you think a WL is worth it or are they fairly similar in recruiting/ social life?

I think that you'll do fine in recruiting at either school. I think that Booth's network might be deeper into high finance than Kellogg's given Booth's historic strength in that area (hell, isn't David Booth some big HF guy?), so that may be something to consider. Also look at who is recruiting on campus in these areas. I know that Booth has the PE/VC lab and Hyde Park Angels (our own VC fund thingy...I believe students do all of the analysis while the investors make the final decision on where money goes). From what I hear many students get their PE/VC internships through the lab class. Check to see if Kellogg has similar opportunities (which I think they do).

Culturally, Booth and Kellogg are very different (in my opinion). I would say that Kellogg is more high energy all the time. I remember when I was first admitted last year and joined the facebook group. Everyone was clamoring for happy hours in every corner of the globe. Booth's was kind of silent when I first joined. However, it picked up speed very quickly once June hit and the socializing hasn't stopped since. The way I would describe Boothies is more "slow-building." There were people who I met at admit weekend who never thought I would hang out with. Now that I am here they are some of my favorite bar buddies. It just took a few interactions for us to click. Kellogg's culture is more instantaneously outgoing and "rah! rah! rah!". Some people love that and others find it to be a bit overwhelming. It all depends on your personality.

Do I think Booth is worth the wait? Abso-frickin-lutely!
VP
VP
Send PM
str1der wrote:
Echos Cheets comments. I am Tuck biased obviously, but given what all you are looking for - dating scene, finance strength etc. - I think Kellogg suits you better. I have heard that Finance is very strong at Kellogg, contrary to what a lot of people think. Its obviously a great school. Between Chicago and Kellogg, Chicago's stronger than Kellogg.

I actually think finance recruiting is much stronger at Booth than Sloan. Also, I don't know about Sloan's social scene either. I've heard mixed reviews. Great school regardless but definitely needs a fit test before deciding.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
NA

Originally posted by breakthelaw on 23 Dec 2012, 10:43.
Last edited by breakthelaw on 05 Mar 2013, 09:56, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GPA: 3.81
Congrats on being admitted to some really great schools.

Obviously, fit with your personality and career goals is massively important, but I think the school's overall brand merits serious consideration as well. You know that you want to go into PE/VC right now, but what if you change your mind in 5 or 10 years? Echoing cheet's post, I would try and attend as many admitted students weekends as possible. Hopefully the visits won't make your decision more difficult than it already is, but I'm sure that more information will only help.

If I was in your shoes, I would rank the options in the following way: Booth (if admitted) > Sloan (if admitted) > Kellogg. I have slight bias for Booth because I plan on matriculating, but I'm trying to be as objective as possible.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Given Kudos: 78
Concentration: Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.41
Send PM
Hey there--I'll be choosing between Yale and Kellogg, so I'm just going to take it for granted that the obvious first round of elimination leaves you deciding between those two!

Have you visited both schools? I saw and heard about Kellogg's strong finance, so you won't be disappointed with Advanced Disney Finance. I think you're totally right that it will be easier to date if you go there. But, easier doesn't actually mean feasible. I hate to burst that bubble, but you're going to be way too busy to date, especially if you go to a school as sociable as Kellogg.

I am personally leaning toward Yale because it's so non-profit and social-impact focused, however, I think that this predominant facet at Yale will be a boon for you during recruiting season (i.e. the entire time you're in b school!). From what I understand, Yale is able to get most of the same recruiters to campus and you have much less competition. Yale's biggest weakness may be its alumni network, but the school is closely linked the parent university, and you will have easy access to tons of Yale alumni. The integrated curriculum is really amazing and as you noted, the new facilities are gonna be "hawt"!

At the end of the day, I think you'll be happy to know that you can't go wrong. All of these schools are going to offer amazing opportunities. I think you should narrow down the list and see if you can pop over to their admit weekends and/or regional events.

Did I already mention this? CONGRATULATIONS. Great story, great outcome!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
NA

Originally posted by breakthelaw on 23 Dec 2012, 12:08.
Last edited by breakthelaw on 05 Mar 2013, 09:57, edited 2 times in total.
VP
VP
Send PM
riskylvrg wrote:

machichi wrote:
I think you're totally right that it will be easier to date if you go there. But, easier doesn't actually mean feasible. I hate to burst that bubble, but you're going to be way too busy to date, especially if you go to a school as sociable as Kellogg.

You are 100% correct. I just have this notion that b-school will be some sort of vacation as compared to a banking job. I'm probably gonna be just as busy.

At the same time, I'd love an option to go out and grab a drink with friends or go bar hopping once the finals are taken care of. Not really meant it in a "snuggle on the couch watching reruns of Lost" type of way.

You will be just as busy but it's a different kind of busy. I'd say 90% of what's on your calendar is stuff you actually want to do. Yes, it does feel hectic, but it also feel energizing as well.

As for dating in b-school, trust me when I say that people make time for whole lots of it. At Booth people were coupled up before Thanksgiving. What you have to remember is that MBA programs are the perfect petri dishes for mating. You have smart, attractive, driven people spending exorbitant amounts of time together drowning in copious amounts of alcohol. Many a night of poor life choices often lead to decent dating relationships.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
To be honest, I'm more excited about trying to meet women at the med school!!
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3   
Moderator:
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
1131 posts