Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 00:48

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Kellogg vs. Haas

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Kellogg vs. Haas [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2013, 21:37
I currently work in a corporate development role and plan to switch to an investment management track. Here are a few of my thoughts on the two programs, but I'm interested in the views of others.

- Comparable finance programs, although I'd like to hear if anyone thinks either school has a distinct advantage
- I was more impressed during my visit to Haas - prefer Bay Area to Evanston, nicer facilities, friendly students and faculty
- Kellogg is generally ranked higher and has a larger alumni base

Overall, my head is telling me Kellogg but my heart is telling me Haas. I'm interested to hear whether people think Kellogg is clearly the better program or if the two are comparable, especially given my finance concentration.

Please note that I also applied to schools more geared towards finance (Wharton, Booth and Columbia). However, it's looking like Haas and Kellogg may end up being the only places I'm admitted.

Thanks in advance, and I look forward to your responses.
Director
Director
Affiliations: Columbia, Wharton, LBS
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, LBS, Columbia, Wharton, HEC Paris
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 113 [0], given: 1

Re: Kellogg vs. Haas [#permalink] New post 21 Feb 2013, 07:26
First of all, congratulations on being admitted to two world-class programs.

These two programs are very different on almost every front. From my experience, the students attracted to Haas tend to be much more entrepreneurial and most more technology focused while the students attracted to Kellogg tend to be more corporate focused (although not exclusively). Also, the geographic locations of the two schools make them very different entities and each one has its own attraction. You will do great coming out of both programs, but you need to make sure that the school has the resources that you are looking for and that you will have a large enough peer group to challenge you in your desired area of study.

What I recommend doing is calling upon current students and recent graduates from the two schools who work in investment management and ask them about their experiences. You can start by contacting the investment management club at each school and then branch out from there. Students and alumni understand the important decision you are making so most will be open with their opinions and generous with their time. Also, think of this as an early networking opportunity as everybody wants to help students.

Good luck.

Kimberly Plaga
Senior Admissions Consultant
Manhattan Review

Manhattan Review GMAT Prep & MBA Admissions Consulting
Web: http://www.manhattanreview.com | Phone: +1.212.316.2000
Receive 20% off Admissions Consultings as GMATClub member!

Current Student
Concentration: Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.41
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 133 [0], given: 78

Premium Member
Re: Kellogg vs. Haas [#permalink] New post 22 Feb 2013, 21:42
mth1214 wrote:
I currently work in a corporate development role and plan to switch to an investment management track. Here are a few of my thoughts on the two programs, but I'm interested in the views of others.

- Comparable finance programs, although I'd like to hear if anyone thinks either school has a distinct advantage
- I was more impressed during my visit to Haas - prefer Bay Area to Evanston, nicer facilities, friendly students and faculty
- Kellogg is generally ranked higher and has a larger alumni base

Overall, my head is telling me Kellogg but my heart is telling me Haas. I'm interested to hear whether people think Kellogg is clearly the better program or if the two are comparable, especially given my finance concentration.

Please note that I also applied to schools more geared towards finance (Wharton, Booth and Columbia). However, it's looking like Haas and Kellogg may end up being the only places I'm admitted.

Thanks in advance, and I look forward to your responses.

The head is boring, go to Haas! :)

But seriously, I'm curious about your answer to these questions: 1) Is your heart telling you NOT Kellogg? 2) Is your head telling you NOT haas?

Kellogg may be ranked higher, but Haas is highly respectable. Both are world class, if you ask me. I strongly believe either can get you where you want to be in finance. Kellogg certainly has the clout to get you in and Haas is in the Bay Area so networking will be super easy if you want to stay in California. Did you go to DAK last week?

I don't think you'll regret choosing Haas, but I'm wondering if you'll regret overlooking it. The heart is a powerful beast! :-D

Blogging about the MBA application process. Because I need to do something with all this bschool energy.
http://www.mybreakaway.com/ Recent post: September 20, "Transitions"

Yale School of Management MBA Candidate, 2015.

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Kellogg vs. Haas [#permalink] New post 24 Feb 2013, 17:23
Thanks for the advice. To clarify, I have not yet been admitted to Kellogg. I posed the question because I will receive my decision from Kellogg one day before I have to pay my deposit at Haas. Ideally, I would like to have made a decision by that point. However, I'm leaning towards paying the Haas deposit and then still going to the next admit weekend at Kellogg, if I manage to get in. I guess potentially losing the $2k isn't that big of a deal in the grand scheme of things.

To answer your questions, I attended the "Super Saturday" at Haas and fell in love with the place. I've wanted to make a move to the West Coast for years and was really impressed by everything I saw while visiting.

I guess I'm just guilty of focusing too much on all the published rankings, most of which have Kellogg ahead of Haas...
Re: Kellogg vs. Haas   [#permalink] 24 Feb 2013, 17:23