Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 05:48 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 05:48

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: CFA
Own Kudos [?]: 142 [0]
Given Kudos: 64
Schools: Columbia - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 710 Q45 V43
GMAT 2: 760 Q49 V45
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: Kellogg vs. Ross for IB [#permalink]
Well, I do think they are acceptable for a career in IB. Bear in mind that even if they are not the best, like H/W/Chi/Col/NYU, they are still very good and get a decent amount of IB recruiting. One thing to note, however, is that in the current climate IB is bad everywhere and banks haven't cut recruiting at the top finance schools as much as they have at the others. For example, before the crisis, Ross was sending about 10% to IB and had all top banks except ML recruiting there. Last year, however, GS and MS weren't among the top recruiters there, meaning they took 1-2 people. As far as I know, last year the most active BBs recruiting at Ross for IB were JPM, Citi and UBS. CS, Barclays, DB recruited for PWM/GM/Internal finance/Leadership programs, not your typical front office. Not sure about GS/MS. Interesting: GS wasn't among the top recruiters at Booth too last year according to their employment report, meaning they recruited fewer than 3 graduates. In short, you'll have a shot at K/Ross, but in this climate it's going to be hard even at the top finance schools, so have a backup plan. Top IB schools have another advantage - boutiques recruit on campus. However, they hire in small numbers and prefer people with previous experience in IB, so if you don't have one, this door might not be open even if you are at these schools.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Energy, Analytical Finance, Strategy
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2012
WE 1: Energy Risk Consulting
WE 2: Commodities Finance
Send PM
The other side of this is that there are less people at both Kellogg and Ross that want to go into IB, which is reflected by the percentages.

I attended the IB Breakout Session at the Kellogg Admitted Student's Weekend. From what I gathered, every top bank hires from Kellogg. People had internships from JPM, GS, CS, etc. in IBD. Also, there are fewer people gunning for interview spots so its somewhat easier to get the first round interview. If I chose this path, I don't think my options would be limited.

I think it is a similar thing for Ross. Almost all the banks recruit there, but there are simply fewer people interested. I saw campus interview slots for Lazard, CS, JPM, DB, etc.

So in the end, I think Kellogg would have slightly more cache by simply being a more reputed school, but both will offer several opportunities to break into IB. More banks hire more people from the finance schools, but there is also more competition for those slots.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Thanks for all the insight and advice all! As a follow-up, would your comments be the same for SS Equity Research as well?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
To be honest, I don't know much about ER. As far as I know, they tend to recruit in very small numbers at few schools, if they recruit at all. Take a look at the career sub-forum; there are some topics about research.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools:Ross 2012
Send PM
unhedged wrote:
I think it is a similar thing for Ross. Almost all the banks recruit there, but there are simply fewer people interested. I saw campus interview slots for Lazard, CS, JPM, DB, etc.

My experience so far with Ross is in line with this statement. While there're people who want to go into finance - I've met a few - the number relative to the student body is fairly small. Ross is known for general management and being a well-rounded school, but I can confirm (also through interview slots) that the big banks that unhedged mentioned do recruit at Ross. Whether you end up getting the job ultimately comes down to you, but as far as I can tell, with ratio of available number of opportunities and students interested, it should be fairly easy to at least get an interview with the recruiter. Good luck with your decision!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Thanks for all the info, guys!!!
GMAT Club Bot