Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 14:17

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Kelp is a natural fertilizer that has become popular among g

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Director
Director
Concentration: General Management, General Management
Schools: IIM A '15
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.7
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 158 [0], given: 298

Premium Member CAT Tests
Kelp is a natural fertilizer that has become popular among g [#permalink] New post 04 May 2013, 00:25
Kelp is a natural fertilizer that has become popular among growers of heirloom tomatoes,who generally are willing to pay a premium for organic products.

Correct it !!

Rgds,
TGC!

Director
Director

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Kelp is a natural fertilizer that has become popular among g [#permalink] New post 04 May 2013, 00:28
Kelp is a natural fertilizer that has become popular among growers of heirloom tomatoes,who
generally are willing to pay a premium for organic products.

The reasoning given that the RED part is correct is :

The green part is mission critical modifier as per MGMAT SC Guide.

However , we could have framed the sentence as below:

Kelp is a natural fertilizer that has become popular among heirloom tomatoes growers,who generally are willing to pay a premium for organic products.

The Green part. Isn't this sentence correct.

Plz Advice !!

Rgds,

Rgds,
TGC!

Director
Director

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Kelp is a natural fertilizer that has become popular among g [#permalink] New post 09 May 2013, 05:08
Anyone???????????????????????

Rgds,
TGC!

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
Followers: 118

Kudos [?]: 200 [1] , given: 10

Re: Kelp is a natural fertilizer that has become popular among g [#permalink] New post 10 May 2013, 21:02
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
The second version is fine if you change "tomatoes growers" to "tomato growers." (Here, "tomato" is serving as an adjective modifying "growers," and in English the adjective does not need to agree in number with the noun it is modifying.) However, the original is a more standard way to express the idea. This is a good example of how almost every grammar rule has exceptions! There isn't really any way to misread the sentence as is--"who" can't refer to tomatoes--so there's no need to rearrange anything.

Besides, any time we have more than one modifier, some interpretation is needed. If we read the phrase "heirloom tomato growers," what is the intended meaning? Are we talking about "(heirloom tomato) growers"--people who grow heirloom tomatoes--or "heirloom (tomato growers)"--tomato growers who are heirlooms? Clearly the first version makes much more sense, so we'll go with that, but notice that we can avoid that ambiguity by saying "growers of heirloom tomatoes." That's why it's so important to use process of elimination in SC. Start by getting rid of the answers that absolutely cannot be correct, and then narrow down more carefully from the remaining choices. Sometimes you'll have to select an answer that seems to break a rule because it is the only one that fixes some other problem, or that conveys a clear meaning.

Dmitry Farber | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | New York

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile |
Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

Re: Kelp is a natural fertilizer that has become popular among g [#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2013, 07:10
targetgmatchotu wrote:
Kelp is a natural fertilizer that has become popular among growers of heirloom tomatoes,who generally are willing to pay a premium for organic products.

Correct it !!

I want to discuss this question again. I understand that this statement is correct and the reasons for that.
But I wanted to discuss that modifier " that has become popular .... products"

IMO it is modifying KELP and
" is a natural fertilizer " is a very short predicate that falls between and thus shift the modifier back

BUT

MGMAT says that modifier " that has become popular .... products" modified Fertilizer, it doesnt seems to be correct.

Please comment !!!
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management
WE: Information Technology (Telecommunications)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 2

Re: Kelp is a natural fertilizer that has become popular among g [#permalink] New post 29 Sep 2013, 14:10
TGC wrote:
Anyone???????????????????????

Good post for understanding modifiers
noun-modifiers-can-modify-slightly-far-away-noun-135868.html

The example below is taken from same post and is similar to your example I guess
The committee chose Mr. Smith of Left Block, who was the most experienced member, to lead all the management-related operations

I do the very best I know how - the very best I can; and I mean to keep on doing so until the end -- Abraham Lincoln

Re: Kelp is a natural fertilizer that has become popular among g   [#permalink] 29 Sep 2013, 14:10