Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 18:06

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Kenan-Flagler (UNC) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants!

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 03 Oct 2013
Posts: 198
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Owen '16 (M)
GPA: 3.6
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 4

Re: Kenan-Flagler (UNC) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 18 Oct 2013, 08:24
hifunda wrote:
mbanerd16 wrote:
Benefit of applying in R1/Early Action? Any idea what are the chances of acceptance in EA?

This is posted on KFBS website -

Early Action Our first cycle, October 18, 2013, is the Early Action deadline. Early Action is an option for applicants who know for certain that they will attend UNC Kenan-Flagler if admitted. Early Action provides applicants with the certainty of learning their decision by December 13, 2013. Admitted applicants in the Early Action cycle will be required to submit a $2,500 non-refundable enrollment deposit by January 6, 2014, in order to secure a space in the class (versus the regular deadline enrollment deposit of $1000). You should not apply for Early Action if you are not prepared to commit immediately to attending UNC. - See more at: http://www.kenan-flagler.unc.edu/admiss ... IQVlS.dpuf


Even I was very confused on reading this before. It means exactly what is stated above: especially if KF is your top choice school, they say it's in your best interest to apply early, so that you can get a decision early and you will have ideally no problem accepting/committing to the school. I personally started liking the school more and more, as I did research and confirmed to myself that this would be the best round to apply.

Of course I will be ecstatic if they admit me :) Hope this helps!


I agree!! I got more & more interested as I did my research and spoke to current students, ad com. Honestly, everyone is so helpful. I felt a sense of belongingness.

Also, I don't understand why KFBS is under-rated. The course, projects like STAR & GBP, leadership initiatives, and faculty are amazing.

I'm very keen on KFBS. I would love to get an offer from them, that's why I want to know the chances of acceptance in EA/R1.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 04 Apr 2011
Posts: 43
Location: India
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Real Estate)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 33

Re: Kenan-Flagler (UNC) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 18 Oct 2013, 08:41
Yeah agree with you totally - they should be a top 15 school.. I think they were very good before, probably dropped off the rankings a bit in recent years, but Kenan-Flagler always sounded like an excellent brand to me. This happens to schools in Top 15-30 all the time.

Regarding your question on acceptance, obviously there is no guarantee or even higher probability of getting in easily in EA. All depends on the strength of the application relative to EA pool and how unique the profile is, because the ad-com can't admit too many students also, before the bulk of their applications in Round 2! :)

How come there's no activity on this thread during the deadline?
Are we the only ones who have submitted?
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 03 Oct 2013
Posts: 198
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Owen '16 (M)
GPA: 3.6
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 4

Re: Kenan-Flagler (UNC) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 18 Oct 2013, 09:48
hifunda wrote:
Yeah agree with you totally - they should be a top 15 school.. I think they were very good before, probably dropped off the rankings a bit in recent years, but Kenan-Flagler always sounded like an excellent brand to me. This happens to schools in Top 15-30 all the time.

Regarding your question on acceptance, obviously there is no guarantee or even higher probability of getting in easily in EA. All depends on the strength of the application relative to EA pool and how unique the profile is, because the ad-com can't admit too many students also, before the bulk of their applications in Round 2! :)

How come there's no activity on this thread during the deadline?
Are we the only ones who have submitted?


I understand ad com can't accept almost everyone in EA/R1 but what I believe is that EA/R1 gives you an advantage as it shows that you are very interested and you have done lot of research on KFBS.
If you look at the last yr stats - total apps received were 1575 in all 4 rounds which is not a very big number considering the school and program.
Also the selectivity is quite high around 45%, yield is not bad either 44%.Although not impressive but these numbers are very good. I fail to understand why this is an under-rated school.
Anyway, after my research and discussions with current students/ad com, I am impressed and very keen. Keeping my fingers crossed.

It looks like lot of applications are submitted in R2. Maybe we will see lot more active people in Dec/Jan.

What is your profile and GMAT score? Have you scheduled your interview?
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 03 Oct 2013
Posts: 198
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Owen '16 (M)
GPA: 3.6
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 4

Re: Kenan-Flagler (UNC) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 18 Oct 2013, 10:45
Can anyone please share interview tips for KFBS?
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 20 Dec 2012
Posts: 14
Location: India
Schools: Tepper '16
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 9

Re: Kenan-Flagler (UNC) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 18 Oct 2013, 12:24
is it okay at Kenan that recos are submitted 1 or 2 days after the deadline?
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 03 Oct 2013
Posts: 198
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Owen '16 (M)
GPA: 3.6
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 23 [1] , given: 4

Re: Kenan-Flagler (UNC) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 18 Oct 2013, 12:33
1
This post received
KUDOS
missionxl wrote:
is it okay at Kenan that recos are submitted 1 or 2 days after the deadline?


Yes, 1-2 days are fine. I confirmed with ad com this week. My recommenders haven't submitted recos yet. Most likely they will do it this weekend.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 05 Jun 2012
Posts: 22
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

Re: Kenan-Flagler (UNC) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 20 Oct 2013, 04:00
Deleted

Last edited by Aspirant18 on 20 Oct 2013, 04:02, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 05 Jun 2012
Posts: 22
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

Re: Kenan-Flagler (UNC) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 20 Oct 2013, 04:01
Hi Guys, I applied to Kenan Flagler in EA round. I have scheduled my interview for Nov 1st(Skype Interview). But due to some unforeseen reasons, I cannot attend the interview on that day. I could see the option of canceling the interview and rescheduling it via "Interview Scheduler" in the online application. Can anyone please tell me if it ok to reschedule the interview? I am worried if this would look unprofessional to the adcom and finally impacts my admission. Please share your thoughts and help me. Thank you in advance!
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 27 May 2012
Posts: 98
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V39
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 26

Re: Kenan-Flagler (UNC) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 20 Oct 2013, 05:10
Aspirant18 wrote:
Hi Guys, I applied to Kenan Flagler in EA round. I have scheduled my interview for Nov 1st(Skype Interview). But due to some unforeseen reasons, I cannot attend the interview on that day. I could see the option of canceling the interview and rescheduling it via "Interview Scheduler" in the online application. Can anyone please tell me if it ok to reschedule the interview? I am worried if this would look unprofessional to the adcom and finally impacts my admission. Please share your thoughts and help me. Thank you in advance!


I did the same yesterday, rebooked the interview slot.
In my opinion, changing 10 days in advance a meeting that you can't attend - is the professional thing to do.
Anyway, they state that they can't change or book 9 days before a meeting.. so today is your day to rebook.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 05 Jun 2012
Posts: 22
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

Re: Kenan-Flagler (UNC) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 20 Oct 2013, 06:46
Thank you so much Dormor..I rescheduled the interview..Thanks for the timely help!!
2 KUDOS received
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 10 Dec 2012
Posts: 40
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V41
GPA: 3.53
WE: Marketing (Real Estate)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 11 [2] , given: 27

Re: Kenan-Flagler (UNC) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2013, 08:07
2
This post received
KUDOS
mbanerd16 wrote:
Can anyone please share interview tips for KFBS?


Hey! I could share some advice. I just entered KFBS this fall and have just a few thoughts --

- Relax -- obvious, I know! The interview format isn't case-based and the majority of the questions are about your background, your experience, and when you like the school. So while you should have done your homework and be prepared, they're not going to try to trip you up. They want you to tell your story.

- Know and be able to speak to the school's core values (listed on the website). We talk about the school's core values a LOT at KFBS. Unlike some corporate values that are listed on the website and largely ignored, KFBS' values are brought up in nearly every class in one capacity or another. You can read about there here: http://www.kenan-flagler.unc.edu/about/core-values

- In particular, be able to speak to leadership and to teamwork. There's a number of programs at KFBS that are focused on building leadership skills in students, plus a lot of lot of opportunities to practice leadership. Meanwhile the student population is really collaborative and happy to help one another, which is a point of pride for the school.

- In general, be able to demonstrate your interest in KFBS. Whether that's because you love College Basketball & Carolina BBQ, or because you think the school has a strong investment banking program.

- Have a few solid questions to ask, but I wouldn't ask "What differentiates you from Duke/Emory/Cornell/Yale/Harvard/Kellogg/MIT?" just because naming a specific school makes it seem like you'd rather be somewhere else.

Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 04 Apr 2011
Posts: 43
Location: India
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Real Estate)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 33

Re: Kenan-Flagler (UNC) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2013, 06:57
Thanks for sharing your advice. I just finished my phone interview, and it was purely conversational. Just know clearly why MBA, your work experiences, goals, etc. and you should be good to go!
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 13 Aug 2013
Posts: 29
Schools: Kelley '16 (S)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 4

Re: Kenan-Flagler (UNC) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2013, 19:09
TheFool wrote:
mbanerd16 wrote:
Can anyone please share interview tips for KFBS?


Hey! I could share some advice. I just entered KFBS this fall and have just a few thoughts --

- Relax -- obvious, I know! The interview format isn't case-based and the majority of the questions are about your background, your experience, and when you like the school. So while you should have done your homework and be prepared, they're not going to try to trip you up. They want you to tell your story.

- Know and be able to speak to the school's core values (listed on the website). We talk about the school's core values a LOT at KFBS. Unlike some corporate values that are listed on the website and largely ignored, KFBS' values are brought up in nearly every class in one capacity or another. You can read about there here: http://www.kenan-flagler.unc.edu/about/core-values

- In particular, be able to speak to leadership and to teamwork. There's a number of programs at KFBS that are focused on building leadership skills in students, plus a lot of lot of opportunities to practice leadership. Meanwhile the student population is really collaborative and happy to help one another, which is a point of pride for the school.

- In general, be able to demonstrate your interest in KFBS. Whether that's because you love College Basketball & Carolina BBQ, or because you think the school has a strong investment banking program.

- Have a few solid questions to ask, but I wouldn't ask "What differentiates you from Duke/Emory/Cornell/Yale/Harvard/Kellogg/MIT?" just because naming a specific school makes it seem like you'd rather be somewhere else.

Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions



Fantastic, thanks.

I missed the first deadline, will be applying to R2 instead.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 20 Dec 2012
Posts: 14
Location: India
Schools: Tepper '16
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 9

Re: Kenan-Flagler (UNC) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2013, 21:21
Guys, I had this thought on KF admission process that since they invite every applicant in round 1 for interview, does that mean they have less weightage on Application essays on the admission results.

I observed that most of the colleges are inviting students for interviews irrespective of the quality of the application essays. So, does this mean they have very high wighatge on interviews? what's your thought?
Manager
Manager
avatar
Status: Hell of a job to do now !
Joined: 31 Dec 2012
Posts: 69
Location: India
Concentration: Strategy, Leadership
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.2
WE: Web Development (Computer Software)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 34

Re: Kenan-Flagler (UNC) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 24 Oct 2013, 00:24
missionxl wrote:
Guys, I had this thought on KF admission process that since they invite every applicant in round 1 for interview, does that mean they have less weightage on Application essays on the admission results.

I observed that most of the colleges are inviting students for interviews irrespective of the quality of the application essays. So, does this mean they have very high wighatge on interviews? what's your thought?


Yes. Almost on all the blogs on internet, you will find that mostly adcoms prefer interviews. App have got weightage, but interviews are equally important. I read somewhere, that sometimes when they interview someone, they find the person different from what it has been protrayed in the apps. That is why interview is important. To confirm, that yes you really believe what you wrote.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Status: Hell of a job to do now !
Joined: 31 Dec 2012
Posts: 69
Location: India
Concentration: Strategy, Leadership
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.2
WE: Web Development (Computer Software)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 34

Re: Kenan-Flagler (UNC) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 24 Oct 2013, 00:27
TheFool wrote:
mbanerd16 wrote:
Can anyone please share interview tips for KFBS?


Hey! I could share some advice. I just entered KFBS this fall and have just a few thoughts --

- Relax -- obvious, I know! The interview format isn't case-based and the majority of the questions are about your background, your experience, and when you like the school. So while you should have done your homework and be prepared, they're not going to try to trip you up. They want you to tell your story.

- Know and be able to speak to the school's core values (listed on the website). We talk about the school's core values a LOT at KFBS. Unlike some corporate values that are listed on the website and largely ignored, KFBS' values are brought up in nearly every class in one capacity or another. You can read about there here: http://www.kenan-flagler.unc.edu/about/core-values

- In particular, be able to speak to leadership and to teamwork. There's a number of programs at KFBS that are focused on building leadership skills in students, plus a lot of lot of opportunities to practice leadership. Meanwhile the student population is really collaborative and happy to help one another, which is a point of pride for the school.

- In general, be able to demonstrate your interest in KFBS. Whether that's because you love College Basketball & Carolina BBQ, or because you think the school has a strong investment banking program.

- Have a few solid questions to ask, but I wouldn't ask "What differentiates you from Duke/Emory/Cornell/Yale/Harvard/Kellogg/MIT?" just because naming a specific school makes it seem like you'd rather be somewhere else.

Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions


That was fantastic. However it would really help if you can please share some specific questions that were asked to you. Or which question was difficult to handle, or which ones were easy.
Said Oxford Thread Master
avatar
Joined: 05 Mar 2013
Posts: 78
Location: India
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 33

Re: Kenan-Flagler (UNC) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 24 Oct 2013, 06:18
Whats the time zone for interview slots mentioned on the website? Is it EST?
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 14 Jan 2013
Posts: 16
Location: India
Concentration: Operations, Technology
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V39
GPA: 3.25
WE: Operations (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [1] , given: 1

Re: Kenan-Flagler (UNC) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 25 Oct 2013, 09:22
1
This post received
KUDOS
aa2012 wrote:
Whats the time zone for interview slots mentioned on the website? Is it EST?

Yes EST
Said Oxford Thread Master
avatar
Joined: 05 Mar 2013
Posts: 78
Location: India
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 33

Re: Kenan-Flagler (UNC) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 25 Oct 2013, 09:43
ravitoons wrote:
aa2012 wrote:
Whats the time zone for interview slots mentioned on the website? Is it EST?

Yes EST


Thanks for confirming...
2 KUDOS received
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 27 Jul 2012
Posts: 19
Concentration: Organizational Behavior, Human Resources
GMAT Date: 10-13-2012
GPA: 3.17
WE: Accounting (Non-Profit and Government)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [2] , given: 2

Re: Kenan-Flagler (UNC) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 25 Oct 2013, 14:44
2
This post received
KUDOS
I am also a current KFBS student and would recommend visiting http://blog.clearadmit.com/category/int ... n-flagler/ to get a general idea of the type of questions being asked during interviews. My experience was very conversational (you will find this to be a theme in our interviews) so I believe it's more about getting to know you as a person rather than "grilling" you.

During my interview prep I placed a lot of emphasis on stories that demonstrated KFBS's core values. I also had very clear reasons for wanting to attend UNC and the contributions I intended to make while in the program.
Re: Kenan-Flagler (UNC) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants!   [#permalink] 25 Oct 2013, 14:44
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
1 Experts publish their posts in the topic Calling all (UNC) Kenan-Flagler Applicants - Class of 2017 Narenn 4 28 Jun 2014, 12:05
12 Experts publish their posts in the topic Kenan-Flagler (UNC) 2013- Calling all applicants nktdotgupta 269 05 Oct 2012, 22:01
19 Calling All 2011 UNC Kenan-Flagler Applicants! mba20thirteen 722 10 Aug 2010, 09:42
11 Calling all UNC Kenan-Flagler 2010 applicants Class2012 368 14 Jul 2009, 07:24
8 Calling all UNC Kenan-Flagler Applicants nervousgmat 191 16 Aug 2007, 06:16
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Kenan-Flagler (UNC) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants!

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  45    Next  [ 894 posts ] 



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.