Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 11:41 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 11:41

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
MBA Section Director
Affiliations: GMAT Club
Own Kudos [?]: 10010 [0]
Given Kudos: 4542
Test: Test
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: Kenan-Flagler (UNC) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink]
FROM Kenan- Flagler Admissions Blog: Oh, the Places You’ll Go!
One of the greatest benefits to living in Chapel Hill is its centralized location – midway along the east coast and in the heart of North Carolina.

Chapel Hill is only a 4 hour drive from Washington, DC and a 6 hour drive from Atlanta. Raleigh-Durham International Airport (RDU) is a 20 minute drive or 1 hour bus ride from Chapel Hill, and taxi service is available 24 hours a day. A non-stop flight out of RDU will get you to New York City, Chicago or Miami in less than two hours. Amtrak trains also serve the east coast, with lines to Charlotte, Atlanta, DC, New York and other popular destinations.

North Carolina is unique in having beautifully preserved mountains to the west and world-class beaches to the east, which complements the great academic and cultural hub in the middle of the state: the Triangle. The three cities that make up the Triangle – Raleigh, Durham and Chapel Hill – are within an easy drive or transit ride from each other, and each has its own distinct culture and atmosphere.

Courtesy of GRCVB/visitRaleigh.com

Raleigh

Just a half hour east of Chapel Hill, the capital of North Carolina is a growing city with an urban vibe and plenty of nightlife to enjoy. Its largest entertainment venues are the PNC Arena, which hosts acts like Cirque du Soleil, Katy Perry, Disney on Ice, NHL ice hockey and other sporting events, and the Walnut Creek Amphitheatre. Raleigh is home to three major state museums – the NC Museum of Art, the NC Museum of Natural Sciences and the NC Museum of History – and many other public and private museums. Raleigh also hosts the NC Symphony, the Opera Company of North Carolina and the Carolina Ballet. In mid-October, Raleigh’s state fairgrounds come alive for the North Carolina State Fair, an 11 day event filled with concerts, rides, food, and agricultural spectacles that attracts nearly 1 million visitors each fall.

Photo by Heather Jacks; Durham Convention & Visitors Bureau

Durham

Twenty minutes to the northeast, Durham has an emerging dining and nightlife scene that is very popular with the grad school crowd. Durham has revitalized its former tobacco warehouse districts into homes for the Durham Performing Arts Center, a Triple-A minor league baseball team (Durham Bulls) and a Google for Entrepreneurs Tech Hub, as well as shopping and dining. Durham also hosts the American Dance Festival and the Full Frame Documentary Film Festival.

For a one-day or weekend trip, try these destinations:

Photo by Donn Young; Town of Hillsborough

Hillsborough is just a short drive north from Chapel Hill. It’s a very small town with one main strip, cute shops, locally-owned restaurants and bars, and residents who exude southern friendliness. Hillsborough has a thriving arts culture and a popular Saturday farmers market.

Courtesy of Visit Winston-Salem

Winston-Salem is a mix of old and new North Carolina. Founded in 1766 by the Moravians, Old Salem is a historic town replete with original structures, restored working gardens, and the Museum of Early Southern Decorative Arts. Modern Winston-Salem is the heart of the burgeoning North Carolina wine industry, boasting 37 wineries and vineyards and two wine festivals.

Courtesy of ExploreAsheville.com

Asheville is a small town nestled in the Blue Ridge Mountains about 3.5 hours west of Chapel Hill. It has an amazing arts district supported by a huge amount of local talent, a buzzing local music scene, and a wide choice of bars, restaurants, and boutique shops. Asheville is the craft brewing capital of the southeast and has more breweries per capita than any US city. Because of this, it has been named “Beer City, USA” for several years in a row. It is also home to the Biltmore Estate, the largest private home in the U.S., with 250 rooms, a formal garden and winery.

Courtesy of Michelle Ligon / ExploreBooneArea.com

Boone, at over 3300 feet (1000m) in elevation, sits high in the Appalachian Mountains surrounded by nature at its finest. Outdoor activities are the mainstay of life in Boone: hiking, camping, rock-climbing, whitewater and flat-water activities, fishing, bird-watching, and of course, skiing and snowboarding in the winter. With 3 ski resorts within 30 miles, the 2.5 hour drive to Boone is worth your time!

Courtesy of Visit Charlotte

Charlotte, also known as the Queen City, is the largest city in North Carolina. Charlotte is the headquarters of Bank of America and the east coast operations and capital markets activities of Wells Fargo, making the Queen City the second largest banking center in the US (after NYC). Charlotte is home to 10 Fortune 500 companies, including Lowe’s, Duke Energy, SPX Corporation, and Chiquita Brands International, and has been touted as The New Energy Capital for its 240 companies tied to the energy sector. In 2013, Forbes listed Charlotte as one of its Best Places for Businesses and Careers. Charlotte also hosts North Carolina’s professional football (Carolina Panthers), basketball (Charlotte Bobcats, who will reclaim their original name, the Charlotte Hornets, in 2014), and lacrosse (Charlotte Hounds) teams, the NASCAR Hall of Fame, the US Whitewater Center and Carowinds Amusement Park.

Courtesy of VisitNC.com

For longer getaways, the most popular destination is the North Carolina coastline. The NC coast is famous for wide stretches of public beach, warm water, and quaint southern beach towns. You can choose to stay at a resort, rent a private home for a week, settle down in a cheap beach-front motel, or camp in one of the many state parks along the coast. Travel time can be as short as 2.25 hours (to Wilmington and Wrightsville Beach) and as long as 6 hours (to Ocracoke Island, including the ferry trip). Among the many must-visit attractions on the NC coast are the two state aquariums in Fort Fisher and Pine Knoll Shores.

Normal

false

false

false

EN-US

X-NONE

X-NONE

This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM Kenan- Flagler Admissions Blog: My best career move: UNC Kenan-Flagler

Bhushan Thakar (MBA ’14)

As the Class of 2016 admitted students arrived in Chapel Hill for MBA Experience Weekend, it took me back 2 years in time when I was in your shoes, analyzing and contemplating on the decision to join UNC Kenan-Flagler and leave a good-paying job.  The experience at UNC Kenan-Flagler has been so mind-blowing that I did not realize how fast two years went by;  the anxiety and excitement I felt as a first year MBA student seems like it was just few weeks ago.

Selecting UNC Kenan-Flagler was one of the best decisions in my professional career, as I am thrilled and elated with the fulfillment of every single expectation I had set before I arrived in Chapel Hill.

My goals were pretty clear before I set foot in McColl: seek a comprehensive development program that balances the classroom teaching with development of practical, action-oriented leadership and organizational skills in a diverse, moderately-sized student body.

Needless to say, like all aspiring MBA students, I sought to join back the workforce in my choice of industry, geography and function.  On the first day of orientation, MBA associate dean Sridhar Balasubramanian (or “Dr. B.” as he’s known to students) told us that our professional career is a marathon and not a sprint. Keeping this mantra in mind and having an awareness of our own strengths and goals, the ride has been both thrilling and educational.

A short blog post would be insufficient to talk about the wealth of rich, intriguing experiences, but I’ll share a few select experiences from my MBA journey. Throughout my two years here, I have witnessed an energized and diverse student body showcasing their commitment to our core values – excellence, teamwork, community, integrity and leadership – in every aspect. From academic performance to delivering on leadership roles, raising funds for charity to winning case competitions, and from organizing club events to preparing for career development.

I chose UNC Kenan-Flagler because it offers a diverse student body, a vast array of experiences, supportive and excellent faculty, the right balance of business and social skills, and a sincere, deep focus on leadership development through both experiential learning and feedback-based coaching.

The gamut of opportunities in leadership development is by far a truly distinctive strength of the school. As I look back on the leadership skills I developed through various courses and business simulations, leading the General Management Club, and from the ongoing capstone Leadership Immersion program (that no other top 20 school dedicates an entire module to) are by far the broadest (in scope), deepest (in skills developed), and most tailored (for individual development) opportunities I have experienced.

Finally, I would like to echo Warren Buffett’s words: Price is what you pay and value is what you get. By any measure of scale, the value received so far from UNC Kenan-Flagler far exceeded the price I paid.

This blog was written by Bhushan Thakar (MBA ’14)

This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM Kenan- Flagler Admissions Blog: Family Fun in the Triangle
The decision to uproot your family and move to another town, region, or country to attend business school is fraught with worries – will your kids adjust to their new home, will your family make friends and find activities to keep them happy while you spend hours in the classroom and with your cohorts? UNC Kenan-Flagler understands those concerns and strives to provide a supportive community for partners and families of our students. Our MBA partners association, Kenan Connection, is a great resource for partners and families starting their lives in Chapel Hill. They offer a number of clubs and group activities, career support for partners, and valuable advice from those who have been through the transition already.

The partners at Kenan Connection are a wealth of knowledge about fun and entertaining things to do in the Triangle and beyond, but here is a selection of some of the best destinations for family fun within the Triangle.

Courtesy Morehead Planetarium and Science Center

MUSEUMS

Chapel Hill

Morehead Planetarium and Science Center – First opened in 1949, the Planetarium has the distinction of being the training site for nearly every US astronaut from 1959 to 1975. The Planetarium has a large number of planetarium shows (best for children over 7 years old), special programs and workshops.

Kidzu Children’s Museum – Kidzu is perfect for kids 0-8 years old, with hands-on activities, a reading room, and programs.

Courtesy of Karen Swain / NC Museum of Natural Sciences

Raleigh

North Carolina Museum of Natural Sciences – Along with the NC Museum of Art and the NC Museum of History (both appropriate for older kids and adults), this state museum has free admission. The exhibits include traditional dioramas, live animals, interactive exhibits and working laboratories. The Museum is quite large, with two wings connected by a sky bridge, so you may want to make several visits in order to enjoy all the exhibits.

Marbles Kids Museum – Marbles is all about play. Designed for kids 10 and under, the exhibits are all “hands-on, minds-on” and allow kids to explore their world and learn through play.

Durham

Museum of Life and Science – With 6 acres of outdoor exhibits and activities, and an indoor science center, the Museum of Life and Science is great for all ages. The Museum has nearly 300 hands-on exhibits, live animals, and programs that will keep everyone entertained for hours. Don’t miss the Dinosaur Trail, where full-sized dinosaurs roam the grounds of the Museum, and the Fossil Dig Site, where you can dig for fossils yourself!

Winston-Salem and Greensboro

Children’s Museum of Winston-Salem – At the Children’s Museum, kids of all ages can build, climb, imagine, play and read. Interactive exhibits both inside and outside the Museum are designed to inspire children’s imagination and play.

Greensboro Children’s Museum – A 37,000 square foot facility in downtown Greensboro, the Museum is a place to play and learn for kids 10 and over. Indoors, Our Town allows kids to role play on Main Street, where they can shop at The Market, work at The Health Center, Construction Zone, Post Office and Media Room, explore a real jet, fire truck and race car, or just play in the Creation Station. Outdoors, the half-acre Edible Schoolyard teaches children how food is grown, harvested and used.

Greensboro Science Center – This center is three attractions under one name – an aquarium, a museum and a zoo! Indoors, there is a 22,000 square foot aquarium complex featuring penguins, sharks, rays, primates, otters, and even the endangered fishing cat. The Animal Discovery Zoo includes tigers, primates, anteaters, meercats, red pandas, and even a Friendly Farm Petting Zoo. Inside the Museum, among the exhibits you’ll find dinosaurs, reptiles and amphibians, a health zone, and Kids Alley for junior explorers (age 5 and under) to explore science through play.

BOTANICAL GARDENS

Chapel Hill

NC Botanical Garden – This education center and gardens is the centerpiece of a larger network of conservation gardens that are part of the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, which began with the Coker Arboretum in 1903 (described below). You will find habitat display gardens of native plants, water gardens, a carnivorous plant garden, an herb and horticulture garden. Inside the Education Center, you can explore a gallery of botanical art, a reference room and library, a gift shop, and restroom facilities. Classes and seminars are also held in the Education Center. The gardens are open 8am to 5pm, Monday through Friday year-round, 9am to 5pm on Saturday, and 1pm to 5pm on Sunday (call for information on holiday hours).

Coker Arboretum – UNC Botany professor Dr. Williams Chamber Coker started the Arboretum in a boggy spot on campus in 1903 as an outdoor classroom for the study of native plants and trees. Later, he added East Asian species that are closely related to the native NC. The 111 year old Arboretum is located next to Morehead Planetarium on UNC’s campus and is open to the public from dusk to dawn daily and year-round. Don’t miss the interpretive guides located in marked boxes at several locations around the Arboretum. You may want to download the Kid’s Scavenger Hunt worksheet to enhance your children’s experience in the Arboretum.

Photo courtesy of NC Zoo

ZOO

Asheboro

North Carolina Zoo – With 500 acres of natural habitat exhibits featuring over 1600 animals and 52,000 plants along 5 miles of shaded walkways, the NC Zoo is truly a gem. There is an entrance fee, but parking is free and there is free transportation throughout the Park (making it easier for younger kids to traverse the miles of exhibits). Touring the entire zoo can take between 4 and 6 hours, so if you have smaller children you may want to make two trips to see all the exhibits.

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Did anybody get a call/email for this round's results?

Just curious, who all are waiting to hear back?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
goran wrote:

Same here....International applicant and haven't gotten a call or email so far.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
chloechuang wrote:
goran wrote:

Same here....International applicant and haven't gotten a call or email so far.

As per Adcom's twitter update: They're contacting admits over the weekend...fingers crossed :roll:
HBS Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: General Management, Marketing
GPA: 3.02
WE:Operations (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Anyone get a call or an email?
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 650 Q42 V39
GPA: 3.04
WE:General Management (Retail)
Send PM
No call or email for me yet. Trying to stay positive though!

Posted from my mobile device
HBS Moderator
Send PM
Clintf wrote:
No call or email for me yet. Trying to stay positive though!

Posted from my mobile device

Same here! Any status change on your portal?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
No email, call or portal updates. :|
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Few hours to go :roll: :roll:
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 680 Q47 V36
Send PM
Did anyone hear anything this weekend?
HBS Moderator
Send PM
Heard nothing this weekend. It's likely that very few spots were available and people who received a call aren't active on this forum. Best I'm hoping for is WL at this point. Maybe some people will decline spots by the deposit deadline.
HBS Moderator
Send PM
Decisions available on the portal.

Waitlist for me.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
waitlisted
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [1]
WE:Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
Kudos
I got off the waitlist and got admitted! really excited.

Stay hopeful those who have been waitlisted.
HBS Moderator
Send PM
missil3 wrote:
I got off the waitlist and got admitted! really excited.

Stay hopeful those who have been waitlisted.

Congrats! I'm going to stay positive!
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42   43   44   45   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts