Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 02 Oct 2014, 04:40

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Kim: The rapidly growing world population is increasing

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 02 Apr 2010
Posts: 98
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 1

Kim: The rapidly growing world population is increasing [#permalink] New post 03 May 2010, 09:56
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

75% (02:39) correct 25% (00:52) wrong based on 3 sessions
Kim: The rapidly growing world population is increasing demands on food producers in ways that threaten our natural resources. With more land needed for both food production and urban areas, less land will be available for forests and wildlife habitats.
Hampton: You are overlooking the promises of technology. I am confident that improvements in agriculture will allow us to feed the world population of ten billion predicted for 2050 without significantly increasing the percentage of the world’s land now devoted to agriculture.
Kim’s and Hampton’s statements most strongly support the claim that both of them would agree with which one of the following?
(A) Efforts should be taken to slow the rate of human population growth and to increase the amount of land committed to agriculture.
(B) Continued research into more-efficient agricultural practices and innovative biotechnology aimed at producing more food on less land would be beneficial.
(C) Agricultural and wilderness areas need to be protected from urban encroachment by preparing urban areas for greater population density.
(D) In the next half century, human population growth will continue to erode wildlife habitats and diminish forests.
(E) The human diet needs to be modified in the next half century because of the depletion of our natural resources due to overpopulation.

My tots on the answer is :-
[Reveal] Spoiler:
D

Answer given is :-
[Reveal] Spoiler:
B


Doubt answer given... suggestions/explainations pls? Thks so much !! =)
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 18 Mar 2010
Posts: 90
Location: United States
GMAT 1: Q V
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 5

Re: Seeking agreement in discourse [#permalink] New post 03 May 2010, 12:47
I chose B. Even though I don’t think B is a perfect answer, it is the best answer.

The only thing that Kim and Hampton agree on is the population is growing, and there will be a greater need for food. B says that research into finding a better and more efficient way to grow food would be beneficial, which both people would have to agree with, if they both think that we will need more food in the future.

I don’t see how it could be D. Hampton thinks that with advances in technology, we won’t need to erode the land, so he would not agree with this statement.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 02 Apr 2010
Posts: 98
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 1

Re: Seeking agreement in discourse [#permalink] New post 04 May 2010, 03:35
Perhaps so... I thought the reason why he would agree is because of the statement towards the end"... without significantly increasing the percentage of the world’s land now devoted to agriculture."

But maybe I did leap the logic a little. It did not mention about eroding wild-life....
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 11 Mar 2010
Posts: 79
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 1

Re: Seeking agreement in discourse [#permalink] New post 04 May 2010, 07:24
ohfred wrote:
Perhaps so... I thought the reason why he would agree is because of the statement towards the end"... without significantly increasing the percentage of the world’s land now devoted to agriculture."

But maybe I did leap the logic a little. It did not mention about eroding wild-life....



Wats the question source??

Even I picked 'D', since hampton says without significantly decreasing land, means he slightly agree with Kims statement of forest and wild life depletion.

In 'B', Hamp says in first part, you are completly overlooking the possiblity of technology, means Kim dint agreed in his first statemnt, may be later 'Yes' but that will be over assumption, he might counter the argument.

Any better reason for 'B' to be right?
SVP
SVP
avatar
Joined: 17 Feb 2010
Posts: 1561
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 214 [0], given: 6

Re: Seeking agreement in discourse [#permalink] New post 04 May 2010, 13:03
'overlooking the promises of technology' does not mean Kim is not agreeing...it means Kim is neglecting the promises of technology.

I picked a totally different OA...which is sad...but i can relate to B....:(:(
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 18 Mar 2010
Posts: 90
Location: United States
GMAT 1: Q V
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 5

Re: Seeking agreement in discourse [#permalink] New post 04 May 2010, 13:15
nilesh376 wrote:
ohfred wrote:
Perhaps so... I thought the reason why he would agree is because of the statement towards the end"... without significantly increasing the percentage of the world’s land now devoted to agriculture."

But maybe I did leap the logic a little. It did not mention about eroding wild-life....



Wats the question source??

Even I picked 'D', since hampton says without significantly decreasing land, means he slightly agree with Kims statement of forest and wild life depletion.

In 'B', Hamp says in first part, you are completly overlooking the possiblity of technology, means Kim dint agreed in his first statemnt, may be later 'Yes' but that will be over assumption, he might counter the argument.

Any better reason for 'B' to be right?


I can see what you are saying, but I still think B beats any of the other choices.

I didn't really read B as pro-technology, but looked at the first part of it as finding more efficient ways to farm. As both of them agree that something has to happen, I think Kim would agree that researching better ways to farm will be beneficial, even if she still thinks that won't be enough to avoind overuse of land, etc.

Just because Hampton mentions "without a significant decrease" doesn't mean he thinks that one day we will get into deforestation like Kim thinks. D is out for me.
CEO
CEO
User avatar
Status: Nothing comes easy: neither do I want.
Joined: 12 Oct 2009
Posts: 2793
Location: Malaysia
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Followers: 180

Kudos [?]: 957 [0], given: 235

Reviews Badge
Re: Seeking agreement in discourse [#permalink] New post 04 May 2010, 13:31
ohfred wrote:
Kim: The rapidly growing world population is increasing demands on food producers in ways that threaten our natural resources. With more land needed for both food production and urban areas, less land will be available for forests and wildlife habitats.
Hampton: You are overlooking the promises of technology. I am confident that improvements in agriculture will allow us to feed the world population of ten billion predicted for 2050 without significantly increasing the percentage of the world’s land now devoted to agriculture.
Kim’s and Hampton’s statements most strongly support the claim that both of them would agree with which one of the following?
(A) Efforts should be taken to slow the rate of human population growth and to increase the amount of land committed to agriculture.
(B) Continued research into more-efficient agricultural practices and innovative biotechnology aimed at producing more food on less land would be beneficial.
(C) Agricultural and wilderness areas need to be protected from urban encroachment by preparing urban areas for greater population density.
(D) In the next half century, human population growth will continue to erode wildlife habitats and diminish forests.
(E) The human diet needs to be modified in the next half century because of the depletion of our natural resources due to overpopulation.

My tots on the answer is :-
[Reveal] Spoiler:
D

Answer given is :-
[Reveal] Spoiler:
B


Doubt answer given... suggestions/explainations pls? Thks so much !! =)


Kim states that to feed the increasing population we might have to increase agriculture for land by reducing forest area

Hampton states that technology will help us in increasing the productivity without increasing the land area.

Both of them ultimately do not want reduction in the forest area but they want to have surplus food for growing population. so they will clearly agree with B

D is supported only by KIM not by Hampton, so it is wrong.
_________________

Fight for your dreams :For all those who fear from Verbal- lets give it a fight

Money Saved is the Money Earned :)

Jo Bole So Nihaal , Sat Shri Akaal

:thanks Support GMAT Club by putting a GMAT Club badge on your blog/Facebook :thanks

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Gmat test review :
670-to-710-a-long-journey-without-destination-still-happy-141642.html

Re: Seeking agreement in discourse   [#permalink] 04 May 2010, 13:31
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
Experts publish their posts in the topic It was an increase in the citys population that allowed the feruz77 7 18 Oct 2010, 22:58
Experts publish their posts in the topic Population increase cano 6 20 Sep 2010, 09:10
population increase vcbabu 4 04 Jun 2009, 10:41
world population mbawaters 5 25 May 2008, 16:22
The population of Jonasburgh will grow by r% per year for kevincan 10 30 Jul 2006, 00:43
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Kim: The rapidly growing world population is increasing

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.