Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 04:45

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Kind of Extra curricular activities

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Kind of Extra curricular activities [#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2008, 10:20
Hello Sir,
I consider myself as future MBA Aspirant. Currently I have one year of work experience. I would like to go back to MBA school with minimum of 3 years of work experience. I have noticed that an individual should also actively participate in extra curricular activities as I have gone through some of the posts on this forum.Could any one let me know what kind of activities can an individual participate in order have a positive weightage during the admission process?

Waiting for reply!
Thanks,
bobby
Manager
Manager
Schools: The School that shall not be named
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 0

Re: Kind of Extra curricular activities [#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2008, 12:21
I read the topic wrong and thought it was "King of extracurriculars" :-D

But ya, this is posted at the wrong forum maybe?

If you can save a baby seal a day, that'd be a great activity.
However, since so many people are saving them baby seals, I'd recommend you to go save a penguin a day, just to differentiate yourself.

明日やろうばかやろう

24 wrote:
Your East Coast bias is worse than ESPN.

Current Student
Schools: Ross '12 (MBA/MS)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 75 [0], given: 34

Re: Kind of Extra curricular activities [#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2008, 12:39
fatb wrote:
If you can save a baby seal a day, that'd be a great activity.
However, since so many people are saving them baby seals, I'd recommend you to go save a penguin a day, just to differentiate yourself.

Haha, yeah. Saving orphans is so last year. It's all about the cute and cuddly animals this year.

All kidding aside, there isn't one type of magical extracurricular activity that will give you additional points. Everyone has different interests so just pursue what you like to do outside of work. Describing your extracurricular interests is a good way to add some personality to your applications. It's also a good way to show your leadership qualities outside of a work setting.
Current Student
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 55 [0], given: 3

Re: Kind of Extra curricular activities [#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2008, 15:28
heres what you should look for, in no particular order:
- something you enjoy
- something that'll give you leadership experience
- something that'll contribute back to society
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
Followers: 78

Kudos [?]: 701 [0], given: 5

Re: Kind of Extra curricular activities [#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2008, 15:57
You really need to find something you are passionate about...thats your best bet. Even if it is a pretty cliche thing like habitat for humanity or big brother...its not outside the box but if you are very active in it that is great. I know of people who did everything from helping the poor do their taxes to helped at animal shelters to the special olympics to absolutely nothing.

Its not so much what you do but what you put into it that matters to them.

Kellogg Class of 2010...still active and willing to help. However, I do not do profile reviews, don't offer predictions on chances and am far to busy to review essays, so save the energy of writing me a PM seeking help for these. If I don't respond to a PM that is not one of the previously mentioned trash can destined messages, please don't take it personally I get so many messages I have a hard to responding to most. The more interesting, compelling, or humorous you message the more likely I am to respond.
Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

Re: Kind of Extra curricular activities [#permalink] New post 02 Aug 2008, 05:55
how many significant ECs do you guys think are ideal for top10 schools?

I have a leadership role in a society and I play sports atleast 5 days a week.
SVP
SVP
Schools: NYU Stern '11
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 205 [0], given: 22

Re: Kind of Extra curricular activities [#permalink] New post 02 Aug 2008, 07:14
I'm biting the bullet applying to a bunch of top 15 schools with virtually no traditional "extracurricular" activities on my resume. I'm gambling that the admissions committee is simply looking to get a sense of how well-rounded an individual you are, how well you are going to get along with your learning team, and how by having interests outside of work you aren't going to weird out future recruiters. All that's something you can demonstrate if you have had a somewhat distinctive life story and hobbies. You just need to find a way to spin things the right way.

It's probably a waste of time to simply take on a role in an "extracurricular" activity 3 months before the applications open, just so you have something to fill in on that box on the application. The adcoms will be able to tell pretty quickly that you were just getting your "extracurricular" ticket punched. Spend the time instead on developing personal stories from your life, more specifically events that have formed you as an individual, to get a sense of what it is you are truly passionate about. That would be great fodder for your essays, and will sound way more genuine than talking about your commitment to saving baby seals or dancing penguins and such.

--caveat--

If I don't get into any schools this year, then clearly my approach went horribly wrong somewhere, because I know my work experience and academics are solid enough for every school I am applying to.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Re: Kind of Extra curricular activities [#permalink] New post 02 Aug 2008, 14:51
Extras are just that...extra. Personally I didnt do anything volunteerwise post college.

Kellogg Class of 2010...still active and willing to help. However, I do not do profile reviews, don't offer predictions on chances and am far to busy to review essays, so save the energy of writing me a PM seeking help for these. If I don't respond to a PM that is not one of the previously mentioned trash can destined messages, please don't take it personally I get so many messages I have a hard to responding to most. The more interesting, compelling, or humorous you message the more likely I am to respond.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: MIT
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 3

Re: Kind of Extra curricular activities [#permalink] New post 02 Aug 2008, 15:38
riverripper wrote:
Extras are just that...extra. Personally I didnt do anything volunteerwise post college.

Wait, so you really didn't list any extra-curriculars on your application (post-college)?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Re: Kind of Extra curricular activities [#permalink] New post 03 Aug 2008, 18:39
smkrn wrote:
riverripper wrote:

Wait, so you really didn't list any extra-curriculars on your application (post-college)?

I dont remember what I put down...outside of work I spent the last few years totally renovating my house. Ever see the movie the money pit???

SVP
SVP
Schools: Kellogg '11
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 179 [0], given: 31

Re: Kind of Extra curricular activities [#permalink] New post 03 Aug 2008, 19:05
There was an old thread (can't find it) where folks on the forum said that ECs that were from work were maybe less valuable as less initiative was needed to participate, etc. What's the take on that? How are ECs that are work-sponsored viewed by adcoms?

cheers,
ac.
VP
VP
Schools: Tuck
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 117 [0], given: 6

Re: Kind of Extra curricular activities [#permalink] New post 10 Aug 2008, 14:15
riverripper wrote:

I wouldn't be wrong assuming you got accepted to Northwestern, right?

I've heard the same from a few post-MBA buddies. ECs are a really nice way to show leadership if you job didn't provide you with the experience, but they aren't a requirement.

RF

Intern
Intern
Schools: Wharton, MIT, Kellogg, Tuck

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 2

Re: Kind of Extra curricular activities [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2009, 20:39
Hi,

I am applying to FT MBA for 2010 and here's my background:

Indian Male, 32 years old when matriculating, 3.4 Undergrad GPA(top 5 Indian Engineering school), 3.8 GPA (top 3 US Masters program), International work experience in Europe for 2 years as Project Manager in Logistics, 4 years in the US in Logistics, GMAT = 750 (Q=49, V =41). My biggest disadvantage is that I do not have any EC's to write about. After reading this post, I got some hope for my app process (I am considering MC at M/B/B post MBA and hence I am planning to apply only to only the top schools - so far, I am considering MIT, Wharton, Kellogg and Tuck. Can you please let me know if I stand a chance?

Thanks
Director
Director
WE 1: 5.5 yrs in IT
Followers: 64

Kudos [?]: 417 [0], given: 56

Re: Kind of Extra curricular activities [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2009, 22:11
I believe the ECs could be anything you have done outside your work or academics. It could be :
> Working for NGOs (I don't like, though its a most common EC)
> Organizing/participating in some events in college or office
> Excel in your hobbies, like fine arts, music etc. But to impress adcom, you should have done something significant.
> Participation in sports like football, basketball etc.
> Even it could be playing lot of computer games, but again to impress adcom, you probably should have done some voluntary testing for Electronic arts :roll:
> Writing blogs, articles, participating in forums blah blah blah

there can be many others. but certainly the point is how you displayed your leadership qualities in any of those activities. It could be as small as teaching your neighbors kids or as big as initiating a national level program to teach all underprivileged kids.

ISB 2011-12 thread | Ask ISB Alumni @ ThinkISB
All information related to Indian candidates and B-schools | Indian B-schools accepting GMAT scores
Self evaluation for Why MBA?

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Kind of Extra curricular activities [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2009, 09:02
bigoyal wrote:
I believe the ECs could be anything you have done outside your work or academics. It could be :

> Excel in your hobbies, like fine arts, music etc. But to impress adcom, you should have done something significant.

How do I present my hobbies (on resume or application) if they aren't associated with any sort of official organization? I spend a lot of time playing tennis and go rock climbing with a group of friends, but is there a way to mention this on a resume or application if they aren't from a particular club?
Director
Director
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 90 [0], given: 25

Re: Kind of Extra curricular activities [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2009, 10:03
I think you can add the hobbies on the resume you submitted. Most resume I've seen has them.
Director
Director
WE 1: 5.5 yrs in IT
Followers: 64

Kudos [?]: 417 [0], given: 56

Re: Kind of Extra curricular activities [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2009, 04:25
Optimus wrote:
bigoyal wrote:

How do I present my hobbies (on resume or application) if they aren't associated with any sort of official organization? I spend a lot of time playing tennis and go rock climbing with a group of friends, but is there a way to mention this on a resume or application if they aren't from a particular club?

Not sure which b-school you are applying to. The one in which I applied had a separate section for hobbies in the application.
Also, I think if you have done anything significant in your hobbies, you can highlight them in the essays.

ISB 2011-12 thread | Ask ISB Alumni @ ThinkISB
All information related to Indian candidates and B-schools | Indian B-schools accepting GMAT scores
Self evaluation for Why MBA?

Re: Kind of Extra curricular activities   [#permalink] 18 Sep 2009, 04:25