Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Apr 2014, 22:17

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Kind of like a profile Eval

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Kind of like a profile Eval [#permalink] New post 02 Feb 2009, 10:34
Hi Alex,

Thanks for all the input both here and on bw. I'm looking to get a little more insight into the strength of my profile. Just for background:

BS: Engineering UCLA (2.6 gpa) - no mitigating factors
MS: Engineering Columbia U (3.3 gpa), part time (while working full time)
GMAT: 740
WE: 5 years medical device (Fortune 200 companies), very good career progression
EC: College: Treasurer rugby team, president of an engineering club, After College: Various volunteer activities (nothing too impressive).
Status: Accepted Darden, Ding w/int Booth, Ding w/o interview UCLA, Haas

I'm looking to move from engineering into finance. Seeing how things will probably be bleak in 2011, I'm exploring the possibility of putting off bschool for a year.

Considering my profile, and its' glaring weakness, would I be a strong candidate to get into an M7/Top 16 school if I were to reapply next year - of course nothing is guaranteed. i.e. Did I beat the odds by getting into Darden and I'd be a fool for trying again next year?
Also, how do schools view reapplicants that have been accepted (i assume that you're burning that bridge by turning them down).
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 69

Kudos [?]: 519 [0], given: 0

Re: Kind of like a profile Eval [#permalink] New post 02 Feb 2009, 11:17
I think you applied to the right range of schools - my guess is that if you applied next year again, you'll probably get similar results - a mix of dings and admits; maybe an additional admit or two, depending on how well you executed your application (and how well you interview), as well as who happens to be evaluating your applications (which is basically luck). From what little you wrote, your profile won't be out of place at the kinds of schools you're applying to (i.e. you won't be an outlier on either end of the spectrum).

As for whether to accept Darden this year or to risk applying next year, that's a tough call. The difference between Darden (or UCLA, Haas, Duke, Michigan, etc.) and a Chicago/Kellogg/Columbia/Sloan isn't really significant enough to wait an additional year in my opinion. Of all the schools outside the top-8, Darden does a pretty good job (arguably the best job?) of attracting the banks and consulting firms if that's what you're after. I could be wrong on that, but that's what I've seen in the past. If you're looking for careers and jobs outside of banking or consulting, then the difference between the bottom half of the top-16 and the top half is even less significant - arguably insignificant depending on your individual circumstances. But hey, everyone is different - some people really covet the name on their resume even if it won't have much of an impact on their career; going to b-school is as much a personal thing as it is a career thing for some people.

The job market is going to be rough. The question is for how long. As you may or may not know, job markets are "sticky" - they are usually the last to tumble, and the last to recover. So even if we're well on our way to recovery in say a year or so (i.e. the financial markets not only stabilize but are rising, consumer confidence is starting to increase, demand/orders are growing, etc.) the job market won't recover right away.

Medium- to long-term, things are going to be fine. We'll recover from this mess. But expect a real bumpy ride in the short-term - whether you go this year or next year. Expect recruiters to renege, expect to be fired/rehired and expect a lot of job hopping.

Alex Chu
alex@mbaapply.com
http://www.mbaapply.com
Follow me on Facebook

Re: Kind of like a profile Eval   [#permalink] 02 Feb 2009, 11:17