Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 20:25

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Kindly evaluate

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Kindly evaluate [#permalink] New post 20 Nov 2007, 03:12
Hi

I am 26 year old male
Belongs to the most common species (Indian IT) 4 years Work-ex
GMAT 680 Q-48,V-34
Undegrad GPA -- 3.5

I had a pretty good extra curricular activity record in schooling and lots of community participation at college level

Extracurricular Activities:
1)won a national level 3rd prize in story writing
2)played tennis at various national level compitiions
3)had a very good community service record at undergraduation
4)captained college team at under-grads
5)Lots of Extra-curricular activities at school level including debating and writing.

Work-ex
*Although purely in IT company but involved in BI (Business Inteligence) so has a close look at interpretating data and taking decisions at busineess level.Can ellobrate further in essays to the business part of it.

*4 years in one of the top indian IT firm.Also played the role of tech lead and managing team.Currently working as a business analyst. Was awarded best performer couple of times and was also active in my company's social service wing.

*1 year of International experience(included in above mentioned 4) in Australia again in BI.

*worked for one year(after High school) in family trading business taking care of all finances and management.And was instrumental in turning around profits and efficiency in big way.

Short term goal after MBA
To work in a busineess consultancy firm after MBA

Long term objective
To set up my own business and start a non-profit organization in the feild of consultancy and education.

MBA specialization
Would most probably decide after 1st year but for school preferences inclined towards 'Entrepreneurship' and 'General Management'.
Open to Information System (my current field) Not at all interested in Finance and somewat against Marketing.

So my questions to you are
1)your first comments on seeing my profile

2)How you see my chances in top 20 B-schools in US (I know top 10 are not possible with this score so read 10-20)

3) Which school you will sugget me to apply.I am planning to apply mostly in range of 10-20 with couple of safe bets between 20-30 and one dream short at top 10.So if this planning is somewat reasonable then which schools you would suggest seeing my profile and interests.

4)Taking GMAT again would be advisable for next year. As I am anyway going to give a short to some of the suggested schools this year and not inclined towards waiting for one more year.

Thanks for reading all that....waiting for your response
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 43

Kudos [?]: 347 [0], given: 64

Re: Kindly evaluate [#permalink] New post 25 Nov 2007, 18:59
Expert's post
ggam wrote:
Hi

I am 26 year old male
Belongs to the most common species (Indian IT) 4 years Work-ex
GMAT 680 Q-48,V-34
Undegrad GPA -- 3.5

I had a pretty good extra curricular activity record in schooling and lots of community participation at college level

Extracurricular Activities:
1)won a national level 3rd prize in story writing
2)played tennis at various national level compitiions
3)had a very good community service record at undergraduation
4)captained college team at under-grads
5)Lots of Extra-curricular activities at school level including debating and writing.

Work-ex
*Although purely in IT company but involved in BI (Business Inteligence) so has a close look at interpretating data and taking decisions at busineess level.Can ellobrate further in essays to the business part of it.

*4 years in one of the top indian IT firm.Also played the role of tech lead and managing team.Currently working as a business analyst. Was awarded best performer couple of times and was also active in my company's social service wing.

*1 year of International experience(included in above mentioned 4) in Australia again in BI.

*worked for one year(after High school) in family trading business taking care of all finances and management.And was instrumental in turning around profits and efficiency in big way.

Short term goal after MBA
To work in a busineess consultancy firm after MBA

Long term objective
To set up my own business and start a non-profit organization in the feild of consultancy and education.

MBA specialization
Would most probably decide after 1st year but for school preferences inclined towards 'Entrepreneurship' and 'General Management'.
Open to Information System (my current field) Not at all interested in Finance and somewat against Marketing.

So my questions to you are
1)your first comments on seeing my profile

2)How you see my chances in top 20 B-schools in US (I know top 10 are not possible with this score so read 10-20)

3) Which school you will sugget me to apply.I am planning to apply mostly in range of 10-20 with couple of safe bets between 20-30 and one dream short at top 10.So if this planning is somewat reasonable then which schools you would suggest seeing my profile and interests.

4)Taking GMAT again would be advisable for next year. As I am anyway going to give a short to some of the suggested schools this year and not inclined towards waiting for one more year.

Thanks for reading all that....waiting for your response

ggam,

At first blush, your profile, with a few exceptions, is a relatively common one, so it's those exceptions you need to really emphasize so you can break out of the pack. I like the business intelligence angle and recommend playing that up. I also like the Australia piece, your 1 year for the family business, and what appears to be more leadership than I typically see for an IT at your age. So emphasize all of these. Lack of community/extracurricular since college is a weakness.

For entrepreneurship you would be competitive at CMU, USC, Babson, Indiana, Texas, and UNC. For GM, you would be competitive at (again) CMU, UNC, Indiana, perhaps Duke. For longshots, you could try Michigan and Virginia.

Good luck,

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog