Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Sep 2014, 21:37

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Kindly evaluate my chances to Kellogg + mktg B schools

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Kindly evaluate my chances to Kellogg + mktg B schools [#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2006, 22:34
Hi This is Vivek, a new member to gmatclub and learning the rules slowly, kindly help me with my stats and choice of B schools below.

GMAT - 680 - 700 expected
Unergrad Bachelor of commerce GPA - dont know??? though i got a 59.9% in my university. one of the toughest marking systems the topper ranges beween 65-69%.

Post grad - I have a 2 yrs full time post graduate programme in International Business (PGPIB) from a Top business school in India (ranked 20th by business magazines). Overall percentage - (65% top 20% of the class).

I have a strong command of English language.Other languages known are - Hindi (excellent), French (Basic), Arabic (Basic). Mathematics - little weak

The PGPIB diploma gave me a chance to enter the field of international business and travel a lot abroad, specifically the middle eastern countries. I have an experience of 4 years in marketing premium regional brands at a managerial level, Have 4 years of international exposure, have learnt and imbibed different cultures during this time frame and finally landed up with an offer in Dubai where i am currently working as marketing manager in a regional Marketing and distribution company.

The reason i did my PG is that in India it is difficult to start an international career after graduation u need a PG diploma, for me it was easier to move into companies which gave me a chance to travel based on my qualification, however now i feel that my core competency lies in marketing, the diploma i had was an international business focusing on all the aspects of international trrade not specializing in a particular field.

This has limited the scope of my career growth now and i am stuck up in middle level management, moreover i am not able to find opportunities in reputed MNCs as they require specialized people and with globalization on the flow your IB diploma does not matter to the corporates.

Hope that i am justified on my part. kindly give me ur advise.

Long term Goal: I aspire to move into management consultancy after graduation and start off on my own when the time is right and feel confident enough of advising others.

Another conflicting goal with which i keep confusing myself with is contributing something to the society, dont care about big bucks, would luv to start an NGO or some start up in a similiar capacity.

My choice:

1. Kellogg
2. INSEAD
3. Cornell
4. LBS
5. Duke
6. Berkley
7. Oxford - Said
8. Darden
9. Tuck
10. Michigan - Ross (if they accept diplomas equivalent to US educational standards)

My dream institute is Kellogg as my strengt lies in Marketing and i have a bend towards the subject theoritcally as well as practically, can you honestly advise me, what r my chances.

Also for my GPA should i take the score of my bachelors degree or 2 yrs PG diploma.

Thanks,
Vivek
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
CIO
CIO
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 154 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2006, 22:39
You should really call someone at the Kellogg admissions office to see if they accept candidates with PGs in business. Traditionally, b-schools do not admit candidates that have already received business school degrees.

http://www.mbagameplan.com

Intern
Intern

PG diploma [#permalink] New post 16 Oct 2006, 04:34
Hi truthfinder,

In fact i inquired from many sources including gmatclub.com link regarding undergrad and GPA. Many of the colleges like darden, duke etc accept it but of course i have to give a strong justification. Kellogg also has no rules regarding not admitting a diploma holder related to business though i have still sent an email to their admissions office to confirm the same.

Thanx for checking me on this and will wait ur evaluation
Expert Post
Veritas Prep Representative
Schools: Kellogg MBA 2004
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 209 [0], given: 48

[#permalink] New post 16 Oct 2006, 05:08
Expert's post
Hi Vivek,

You mentioned community service and starting an NGO... Do you have any previous experience here? From your profile, I think you have a shot at Kellogg (assuming that the PGPIB isn't an issue), but you will need to present a more well-rounded profile than what you posted here. What are your interests outside of work? What have you done to date in terms of community service or helping others?

Also, on the job, no matter what your situation is, you will need to have shown how you have made a positive impact on the organization and on those around you. Don't worry if you haven't managed a bunch of direct reports... Show how you made a difference and went beyond your nrmal job description to improve things!

For your GPA, schools will probably wat all relevant coursework, but for certain they will want to see your undergrad grades.

Scott

Scott

Veritas Prep | GMAT Prep | MBA Admissions Consulting | Co-author, Your MBA Game Plan

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
For a limited time, receive access to five Veritas Prep Computer Adaptive practice tests when you purchase a Veritas Prep GMAT book! Buy Now!
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern

add on to the profile - Kindly go through it [#permalink] New post 16 Oct 2006, 22:31
Hi Scott,

Thanks a lot, i surely need to polish my profile as kellogg belives in team work and community service, to add to my profile below which might give some insight:

COMMUNITY SERVICE:

1. Was an active member of the team which sent from my boarding school for the rehabilitations of earthquake havocked areas. We were working with the local authorities for weeks to support the survivors.

2. After my bachelors degree i joined my fathers transport business for a short time,6 months, we had farms in our hometown where nothing productive was being done so after consulting my dad we organized a fund and gave out our lands to the farmers livin in the vicinity to grow what ever they wanted, we provided the water supply + seeds + fodder under the programmes etc, only for a small share of the produce after the harvest and also we helped the farmers to sell the surplus produce to government agencies at favourable prices. Even after 5 years today the same method is being carried out in my hometown and i was happy to provide support to these 10 odd families.

Though this is a small example, i want to take up such projects in the future which are not technical but viable for me as an individual, the people working for me and the ones who will finally benefit.

LEADERSHIP AND TEAM SKILLS:

1.) Led my school team at district level badminton championships.

2.) Active member of the Quizzing, debating societies and dramatics club at school. Partcipated in most of the sports events held.(medals and accolades won)

3.) Joined as export manager in my previous company, the company had no exports prior to my joining. With the help of my team who had also recently joined we opened a respectable 12 countries within a year for our products.

4.) Secured the third position in my PG for my International business (Business Start up) thesis.

5.) As i am into sales and marketing my job requires me to always work as a team with my partners in the form of ad agencies, distributors etc in diff countries, this has made me a complete team player and i enjoy my international exposure especially observing different cultures, lifestyles and just moving ahead

Thanks
Expert Post
Veritas Prep Representative
Schools: Kellogg MBA 2004
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 209 [0], given: 48

[#permalink] New post 17 Oct 2006, 21:25
Expert's post
Good... all good experiences. Be sure to emphasize these and other experiences where you really made a difference, rather than just attended events and was a mamber of a group. Think about this... When did you truly make a difference? That's what matters!

Scott

Scott

Veritas Prep | GMAT Prep | MBA Admissions Consulting | Co-author, Your MBA Game Plan

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
For a limited time, receive access to five Veritas Prep Computer Adaptive practice tests when you purchase a Veritas Prep GMAT book! Buy Now!
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews