Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 22:30

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

kindly evaluate my profile!!!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

kindly evaluate my profile!!! [#permalink] New post 18 Oct 2006, 23:31
Dear Paul,
i would really be grateful if u could evaluate my profile.
i am a Pakistani male and m 27 yeras old. my graduation is in business economics with CGPA of 3.05 :oops: (was more of a social-ite and interestd in the major sport of our country cricket than studies). i have not taken GMAT yet but hope to get around 700. i have been working since i was 16 (5 years pre grad and 5 years post grad). after graduation i worked at a pharmaceutical company for about 2 years as marketing research opfficer with very borad and varied job respoisibilites like conducting marketing research; searching, retreiving and, analyzing pharmaceutical information from all sources; desiginig the literature pieces (those fliers which are given to doctors as promotional material), i was mainly involved in their copy writing and designing) and was also the staff officer (not PA) of the CEO. i was in direct liaison with the CEO and reported directly to him.(the job was good but pay wasn't so i left it after two years). after this job i joind an educational institute where i taught ACCA (chartered accountancy) students for about an year and during this time i also joined my graduate department (economics department at the universaity) as visitng faclty and staretd teaching marketing and research methods in bsiness courses ( i m still going there as well as visiting faculty). then two years ago i joined a DFI, Pakistan's largest and now the only DFI as assistant relationship manager in project financing department and was promoted a year later to be relationship manager (a big achievement as normally in all the banking industry in pakistan it usually takes minimum three years to be promoted ).
for my undergrad years of work, i taught at diferent places and worked full time during the two years of my masters programe (we have two year's graduate programmes so masters means 16 years of education) at a school teaching mathematics and physics to grades 9 & 10.
no particular community work (ashamed) but i did teach children at home for free if that counts.
now for a very big aspect of my profile. in 2003 i got admission in Ph.D. programme in Business administration. i topped the entry test and stood second in the interview. the average age of my class was 35 year whereas i was only 23 at that time. this was the time when i left the pharmaceutical company and started teaching. i have passed the course wrok with very good grade as compred to the previous CGPA. but the problem is that the programme is going very slowly and they have wasted my two precious years by not keeping things right on time.
i know i have written a very long story, but i would really appreciate if u could evaluate me and advise me for which MBA programmes should i apply and whether should i mention my Ph.D with the business schools or not to whom i m applying to. i want to got school like harvard, stanford, wharton etc. so do i have a shot at them. i think that if i do my MBA i can still achieve my target of consultancy. also i have some leadership experiences like leading my office colleageus at prayers times and led my class cricket team to victory in the inter department tournament. at job i also have leadership opportunties.
i would really appreciate if u could just go thorough my profile and comment on all aspects pointing to my strengths and weaknesses. also what are my chances if i can go up to 750 in GMAT, will my background of being a Pakistani and lower undergrd GPA still bite me in the back.
thanks and regards,
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 164 [0], given: 0

Re: kindly evaluate my profile!!! [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2006, 18:48
shahrukh wrote:
Dear Paul,
i would really be grateful if u could evaluate my profile.
i am a Pakistani male and m 27 yeras old. my graduation is in business economics with CGPA of 3.05 :oops: (was more of a social-ite and interestd in the major sport of our country cricket than studies). i have not taken GMAT yet but hope to get around 700. i have been working since i was 16 (5 years pre grad and 5 years post grad). after graduation i worked at a pharmaceutical company for about 2 years as marketing research opfficer with very borad and varied job respoisibilites like conducting marketing research; searching, retreiving and, analyzing pharmaceutical information from all sources; desiginig the literature pieces (those fliers which are given to doctors as promotional material), i was mainly involved in their copy writing and designing) and was also the staff officer (not PA) of the CEO. i was in direct liaison with the CEO and reported directly to him.(the job was good but pay wasn't so i left it after two years). after this job i joind an educational institute where i taught ACCA (chartered accountancy) students for about an year and during this time i also joined my graduate department (economics department at the universaity) as visitng faclty and staretd teaching marketing and research methods in bsiness courses ( i m still going there as well as visiting faculty). then two years ago i joined a DFI, Pakistan's largest and now the only DFI as assistant relationship manager in project financing department and was promoted a year later to be relationship manager (a big achievement as normally in all the banking industry in pakistan it usually takes minimum three years to be promoted ).
for my undergrad years of work, i taught at diferent places and worked full time during the two years of my masters programe (we have two year's graduate programmes so masters means 16 years of education) at a school teaching mathematics and physics to grades 9 & 10.
no particular community work (ashamed) but i did teach children at home for free if that counts.
now for a very big aspect of my profile. in 2003 i got admission in Ph.D. programme in Business administration. i topped the entry test and stood second in the interview. the average age of my class was 35 year whereas i was only 23 at that time. this was the time when i left the pharmaceutical company and started teaching. i have passed the course wrok with very good grade as compred to the previous CGPA. but the problem is that the programme is going very slowly and they have wasted my two precious years by not keeping things right on time.
i know i have written a very long story, but i would really appreciate if u could evaluate me and advise me for which MBA programmes should i apply and whether should i mention my Ph.D with the business schools or not to whom i m applying to. i want to got school like harvard, stanford, wharton etc. so do i have a shot at them. i think that if i do my MBA i can still achieve my target of consultancy. also i have some leadership experiences like leading my office colleageus at prayers times and led my class cricket team to victory in the inter department tournament. at job i also have leadership opportunties.
i would really appreciate if u could just go thorough my profile and comment on all aspects pointing to my strengths and weaknesses. also what are my chances if i can go up to 750 in GMAT, will my background of being a Pakistani and lower undergrd GPA still bite me in the back.
thanks and regards,

Shahrukh,

You have an interesting profile, which will help you stand out from the pack. However, your career track seems unfocused; it's not clear why you moved from position to position or what themes unite or govern your career choices. The GPA is not a deal-breaker if you get a high GMAT, and being from Pakistan is not a negative, though it is not sufficiently unusual to help you stand out. The real red flags for you are the lack of post-university extracurriculars, the lack of apparent leadership in your current role, and the unclear career progress. The career progress problem is exacerbated by your PhD because (a) it is unfinished and (b) it's not clear how it fits your consulting goal since business PhDs usually become B-school professors. For these reasons, I think Stanford, Wharton, and HBS are not feasible. Given your consulting goals, I recommend Washington (Olin), Carnegie Mellon, Georgetown, and Emory (all of which place large numbers of MBAs in consulting), with maybe Darden and/or Duke as longshots.

Good luck,

Paul Bodine /
Author, Great Applications for Business School and Perfect Phrases for Business School Acceptance

Follow Paul Bodine on Twitter

Manager
Manager

Re: kindly evaluate my profile!!! [#permalink] New post 24 Oct 2006, 01:05
Dear Paul,
Thank you bery much for your suggestions. they have cleared a lot. One thing which i want to mention is that i had from the very start of my carrer in mind to have a taste of the major fields of management area so that for my long term career i be in a good position to decide which area to choose. so i got expereince in markting, banking (finance) and teaching. also i have worked for sole propeietors, private limited comanies and corporation and have worked as an entrepreneur myself for a very brief time to get a feel of all the areas since i had thought that consulting requires an all round knowledge of the management area. so does this work experience shows my aberrated career or shows an allround profile. another thing which i want to ask you that what do we mean by leadership in the work place. if u could clarify it with a couple of examples i will be really thankful to u
regards,
SVP
SVP

Re: kindly evaluate my profile!!! [#permalink] New post 27 Oct 2006, 12:07
shahrukh wrote:
Dear Paul,
Thank you bery much for your suggestions. they have cleared a lot. One thing which i want to mention is that i had from the very start of my carrer in mind to have a taste of the major fields of management area so that for my long term career i be in a good position to decide which area to choose. so i got expereince in markting, banking (finance) and teaching. also i have worked for sole propeietors, private limited comanies and corporation and have worked as an entrepreneur myself for a very brief time to get a feel of all the areas since i had thought that consulting requires an all round knowledge of the management area. so does this work experience shows my aberrated career or shows an allround profile. another thing which i want to ask you that what do we mean by leadership in the work place. if u could clarify it with a couple of examples i will be really thankful to u
regards,

Shahrukh,

It may work to tell the schools that your career experiences were all attempts to gain broad experience in preparation for a consulting career. I'm not sure they'll buy it, but it's probably a good strategy to try, and you should definitely state how each position gave you Skill A, B, C, etc.

Regarding the leadership, formal leadership (having direct reports, whose work you alone direct and evaluate, and who you decide to promote or give raises to) is more impressive than informal leadership, but whatever kind of leadership experience you have, they want to see stories in which you explain how you motivate people, resolve team dynamics problems, allocate human resources, mentor and train, etc. These are the nitty-gritty aspects of leadership and you want examples that show them.

Good luck,

Paul Bodine /
Author, Great Applications for Business School and Perfect Phrases for Business School Acceptance

Manager
Manager

Re: kindly evaluate my profile!!! [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2006, 02:46
Dear Paul
thank you for ur reply. i want a clarification plz. how do schools verify that what ever we are teling especially in essays is actually true. verification of transcripts, work at a praticular organization and reference letters is conceivable but what about the stories i tell in the essays. for example in may case, when the earthquake hit northeren areas of pakistan in october last year, i with a couple of coleagues at work arranged for medical and food supplies for the affectees and send them to the affected areas but have no proof of this work. or the mentoring i have given in the past to studnets and juniors at work? if i tell these stories in my essays, how will the school verify it or will they either assume it to be true or altogether crap?
thank you once again for the help u r giving me and many others like or unlike me :wink:
SVP
SVP

Re: kindly evaluate my profile!!! [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2006, 08:38
shahrukh wrote:
Dear Paul
thank you for ur reply. i want a clarification plz. how do schools verify that what ever we are teling especially in essays is actually true. verification of transcripts, work at a praticular organization and reference letters is conceivable but what about the stories i tell in the essays. for example in may case, when the earthquake hit northeren areas of pakistan in october last year, i with a couple of coleagues at work arranged for medical and food supplies for the affectees and send them to the affected areas but have no proof of this work. or the mentoring i have given in the past to studnets and juniors at work? if i tell these stories in my essays, how will the school verify it or will they either assume it to be true or altogether crap?
thank you once again for the help u r giving me and many others like or unlike me :wink:

Shahrukh,

Different schools have different verification procedures, so I can't say how or whether they would try to confirm that you did the relief and mentoring work you mentioned. Chances are they would not be able to verify it rigorously. However, I do know that adcoms have a refined ability to "sense" when a story isn't true (I know because I've read enough essays to have developed the same sense): it's usually vague or sounds "canned." If you actually did do the relief and mentoring work then you have nothing to fear.

Good luck,

Paul Bodine /

Manager
Manager

Re: kindly evaluate my profile!!! [#permalink] New post 12 Nov 2006, 20:46
Dear Paul,
my detailed profie is given in the previous posts.
if i really want to go to an ultra elite, will it help if i do a masters degree from a university like oxford or warwick with good grades (to compensate my 3.05 CGPA and relatively weaker academic back ground) and then apply to the ultra elite mba programmes. also, what if i can get a score of around 750 in GMAT. will that sufficiently compensate my lower CGPA.
i m not yet 28 and if i do masters from uk i will be around 30 when i will be applying to mba. is the age factor still ok here?
thnx n regards
SVP
SVP

Re: kindly evaluate my profile!!! [#permalink] New post 15 Nov 2006, 15:43
shahrukh wrote:
Dear Paul,
my detailed profie is given in the previous posts.
if i really want to go to an ultra elite, will it help if i do a masters degree from a university like oxford or warwick with good grades (to compensate my 3.05 CGPA and relatively weaker academic back ground) and then apply to the ultra elite mba programmes. also, what if i can get a score of around 750 in GMAT. will that sufficiently compensate my lower CGPA.
i m not yet 28 and if i do masters from uk i will be around 30 when i will be applying to mba. is the age factor still ok here?
thnx n regards

Shahrukh,

Please re-read my previous posts. Your GPA is not the problem.

Paul Bodine /