Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 15 Sep 2014, 17:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Kindly Evaluate My Profile !!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Kindly Evaluate My Profile !! [#permalink] New post 11 Jan 2008, 09:15
Hi Paul,

Even before you read further, I would like to thank you for reading this. Thanks a lot for your time.

Background:
I am 28 year Indian male
5+ years Work-ex with IBM including 3.5 yrs of international exp (US).
GMAT 740
Bachelor of Engg(4 yrs) with Overall 72% ( 8 semesters ) and 80% in final year ( last 2 semesters ) - Not sure how this translates into GPA.

Extracurricular and social Activities:
- Was lead for all the extra curricular activities at school.
- Was champion at both junior level and senior level.
- Involved in Lots of other activities - skits, debates etc.
- Have done social service with Rotary Club.
- Was elected as class rep from peers and was actively involved in the cultural commitee.
- At college level was involved in several community services like organizing blood donation camps etc.
- Had started a home based free coaching institute for those poor kids who were not getting proper education from govt. schools and could not afford to goto other private coaching institutes. This helped them a lot to pass their exams.
- Was involved in Tsunami relief team and collected money, cloths and all other essentials for the affected people.

Mangement and Team leading activities:
- Was lead for all the extra curricular and social activities at school.
- Have led a team of 6 at the age of 13 for a project on environment. Received a National award for the project. Was one of the 20 kids who were selected for national level from my state.
- Have been involved in family business since i was 15 and assited both my father and grandfather in decision making and execution. Have learnt a lot from them and in many cases ( most of them were after I joined college ) they went with my thoughts and decision making and that turned out to be a very profitable one's.
- In current organization, I have led team of size 12-15 in a project where we had to make a mark and had to struggle for existance. We successfully completed that project with many recognitions.
- There was a case where my manager was kicked out of the team(some reasons) and suddenly I had to manage the team of 20-25. It was a typical managerial role which came to me early in my career for which I was not at all prepared. But I did that job so spendidly that the position was never replaced. I was also recognized for that.
- Have organized and hosted several outdoor team events for a group of 40-60 and each one of them was a great fun.

Academics and work exp:
- Was always top performer in the school. Was among the top 1% of the whole state when I came out of high school.
- At college Was elected as class rep from peers and was actively involved in the cultural commitee.
- Was always among the top 5 of the class.
- Overall 72% ( 8 semesters ) and 80% in final year ( last 2 semesters ).
- Currently have 5+ years of experience in IT working with IBM out of which 3.5 years being international experience (US).
- Even though working in IT, I have always worked with top 5 US banks, Insurance and Mutual funds institutions. Working for the Business Intelligence department in IBM which deals with implementing solutions for financial institutions. Have been heavily involved in providing solutions which involves business decision making and implementing it.
- Currently working on implementing solution for a well known financial institution.
- Have been recognized by IBM as one of the Top talent for the current year which is for recognizing future leaders and encouraging them to be the best of breed.
- Have also been recognized by clients for outstanding performances, innovation and dedicated hard work.

Short term goal after MBA:
To work with a finacial institution to better understand the busineess.

Long term objective:
To be the CFO of a well reputed organization.

MBA specialization:
Would like to pursue in Finance.

My GREATEST questions -
1. What is your first impression about my profile ? Is it anywhere different from an applicant from my geograply ?
2. Kindly put yourself into adcoms shoes and tell me what do you think about my profile.
3. What are my chances at top 10 B-schools in US ? If I dont fit for top 10 then what are my other chances ?
4. Kindly let me know what do you think would be better - Top 11-20 B-schools in US or IIM in India ?
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 42

Kudos [?]: 339 [0], given: 64

GMAT Tests User
Re: Kindly Evaluate My Profile !! [#permalink] New post 12 Jan 2008, 12:41
Expert's post
meetleo09:

1. What is your first impression about my profile?
It looks like it could be very strong, though you didn't state your actual current job title and describe your job in general terms, so I'm not sure I understand exactly where you stand professionally. Also, all your college activities (and before) will not help you very much.
Is it anywhere different from an applicant from my geograply?
In many respects it looks very typical for someone from your geography. However, your career pace/responsibility level seems to be unusually strong for your 'demographic', so you will stand out.

2. Kindly put yourself into adcoms shoes and tell me what do you think about my profile.
See my responses to your questions in #1 above. You described your profile in general terms so it's harder for me to see what's truly distinctive and personal about your application, but you seem to belong in the strongest group in your demographic (male-Indian-IT). Whether you have what it takes to get into the top schools will depend on how much flavor, distinctiveness, 'meat,' and personality you can add to the general facts you gave me. Your English skills don't seem as strong as those I normally see among Indian applicants.

3. What are my chances at top 10 B-schools in US? If I dont fit for top 10 then what are my other chances ?
I think you could get into some top 10 B-schools. You may want to apply to schools like Chicago, NYU Stern, UCLA, Duke, Michigan, Yale, Rochester, Texas, CMU.

4. Kindly let me know what do you think would be better - Top 11-20 B-schools in US or IIM in India?
It depends on where you want to work. If you want to work in India then the IIMs may be your best bet. If you want to work in North America then top 11-20 B-schools are more relevant to U.S. employers than are India's top B-schools.

Hope this helps.

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Kindly Evaluate My Profile !! [#permalink] New post 12 Jan 2008, 15:11
Hi Paul,

Thanks a lot for the response. This helped a lot.

As far as my current position and job responsibility goes, I'm still with IBM and currently working as a lead on implementing solution (Data Quality) for a well known financial institution in US. Hope this helps to better understand my current role/responsibility.

Also, u mentioned that all my school/college activities wont help much in the application. So, should I consider mentioning those or not ?

Please let me know From my profile, what all points I can project and highlight as stronger one's ?

Once again thanks a lot for your time and response.
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 42

Kudos [?]: 339 [0], given: 64

GMAT Tests User
Re: Kindly Evaluate My Profile !! [#permalink] New post 16 Jan 2008, 13:04
Expert's post
meetleo09,

If you are an informal lead rather than a formal lead or manager, than that places you in a very crowded field and hurts your chances. You most certainly should list all your college activities in the data section of your application, but I would only mention them in your essays if they are relevant to defining your goals or are truly exceptional leadership roles. B-schools will be much more interested in what you've done recently since college. I would emphasize your family business experiences as a way of underscoring your leadership experience and if you have high-impact leadership outside of work since college I would focus on that as well.

Good luck,

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog