Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 00:10

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Kindly Evaluate my Profile. Thanks!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Director
Director
Schools: ISB
WE 1: Engineer - Larsen & Toubro, ECC Division
WE 2: Faculty - T.I.M.E.
Followers: 32

Kudos [?]: 122 [0], given: 66

GMAT Tests User
Kindly Evaluate my Profile. Thanks! [#permalink] New post 06 Feb 2011, 03:50
Dear Alex,

I would like to thank you in advance for taking the time to help me narrow down the list of Business Schools to Apply to for the Fall, 2011 Full-Time MBA Program.

Profile:
Gender - Male
Age - 24
Nationality - Indian

Educational Qualification:
Bachelor's Degree in Electrical and Electronics Engineering
Year of Graduation: 2008
GPA - 7.2 on a 10 point scale [No point converting to the 4 point scale though... Grading is not standardized in my country]

Work Experience:
Duration - Jul 2008 to Jul 2010

After completing college I was offered employment by Larsen & Toubro Ltd. (Engineering Construction & Contracts), India's No. 1 Construction Company. As a Graduate Engineer working for a company of high repute, I was expected to perform from day 1 onwards. My responsibilities included the following:

1. Managing the welfare of a gang of 50 construction workers while extracting high productivity from them.
2. Resolving technical difficulties encountered while executing work at site.
3. Maintaining good relationship with local inhabitants to avoid stoppage of work due to 'Right of Way' issues.
4. Obtaining permits from government authorities as and when required.

After spending one year across different geo graphical terrains in India (Tropical Forest in Karnataka to Snow Capped Mountains in Himachal Pradesh), I was promoted to the rank of Senior Engineer and transferred to Dubai, UAE. In Dubai, the following were added to the list of responsibilities:
1. Acting as the link between the engineers at site and the design team to facilitate inclusion/exclusion of features as recommended by the client.
2. Managing the inventory of items in the Site Store so as to avoid material shortage during execution.
3. Procuring items of required quality at the best price offered by identifying and negotiating with vendors.
4. Generating reports for clients to review.
5. Preparing Master Schedule for Up coming projects.

Extra-Curricular Activities:
• Self taught Guitarist
• Chief Editor of the Electrical & Electronics Engineering departmental magazine, Potentia, during college pre-final year
• Founding Student Secretary of ‘Eureka’ - the college Quiz Club
• Leader of the Core Committee for organizing the Inter-College National Level Technical Symposium ‘Bhava’ during college final year
• School Pupil Leader of the Naval Public School, Kochi for the year 2003-04

GMAT Score:
First Attempt - Dec 26th 2010 - Total: 650 V: 37 Q:44

I will be writing the GMAT in two weeks and I expect my total score to improve by as much as 70 points :)

Post MBA Goals:
1. Work in the marketing section of a leading brand
2. Launch my own business [eventually]

Mission: Be a force of good and make a positive difference to every life I touch!

From 650 to 710 to 750 - My Tryst With GMAT [Experience Thread]

Last edited by Entwistle on 12 Feb 2011, 23:27, edited 1 time in total.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 71

Kudos [?]: 524 [0], given: 0

Re: Kindly Evaluate my Profile. Thanks! [#permalink] New post 07 Feb 2011, 15:10
What part of the world do you want to live and work in after bschool?

Alex Chu
alex@mbaapply.com
http://www.mbaapply.com
Follow me on Facebook

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 122 [1] , given: 66

GMAT Tests User
Re: Kindly Evaluate my Profile. Thanks! [#permalink] New post 07 Feb 2011, 21:21
This post received
KUDOS
AlexMBAApply wrote:
What part of the world do you want to live and work in after bschool?

I would like to work in the United States for 7 to 10 years and then return to my Native country.
Mainly because I would like to raise my kids in India and also support my aging parents :)

Mission: Be a force of good and make a positive difference to every life I touch!

1 KUDOS received

Kudos [?]: 524 [1] , given: 0

Re: Kindly Evaluate my Profile. Thanks! [#permalink] New post 08 Feb 2011, 09:14
This post received
KUDOS
For marketing, try Kellogg and Michigan as stretches, and Indiana, USC and Texas as your sweet spots. This assumes you hit a high 600s or 700+ on a GMAT re-take.

Alex Chu
alex@mbaapply.com
Follow me on Facebook

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 122 [0], given: 66

GMAT Tests User
Re: Kindly Evaluate my Profile. Thanks! [#permalink] New post 08 Feb 2011, 21:04
Thank you Alex :)

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, General Management
WE: Consulting (Accounting)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Kindly Evaluate my Profile. Thanks! [#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2011, 06:24
Dear Alex,
Could you please evaluate my profile?

Female, 27, Vietnamese
GMAT : 650 (Q50, V27) (79%) Awa 5 (56%)
GPA: 7.72/10
WE: 5 years - 3 years senior audit associate in PwC Vietnam and 2 years internal audit supervisor in a well-known real estate Co. in Vietnam
ACCA qualified, I was sponsored by PwC to study ACCA and finished it in 3 years (2007-2010). ACCA is a UK professional certificate specializing in accounting and auditing.

It is easy to recognize that my strength is Quant ability in my profile. I also attended National competition for Algebra (however no prize). My Quant scores in university are usually over 80%. My English is not bad but it reflects in Gmat score not good (my first GMAT has verbal 29 - 52%). However, my working environment is English speaking. My reports are in English and communication with bosses/clients is mainly in English.

Extra curr: Limited. I used to have post published in magazine (poems) when i was 13 yr old (too long time ago). Recently I've just had some charity activities with a charity club.
My shorterm goal is to be a financial analyst in corporate finance field, my long term goal is to be a CFO, however, I am also interested in General Management because I treasure the skill sets that a GM should have to handle a firm.

I am considering these schools for Fall 2012 in Finance concentration

UCLA
Penn State

I also considered Wharton but now I think that it's stretch. For those school I would like to get GA/scholarship.

Thanks,

Ly

Kudos [?]: 524 [0], given: 0

Re: Kindly Evaluate my Profile. Thanks! [#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2011, 16:46
If you're looking at a school like UCLA (or of a similar caliber), you need to boost that GMAT to ideally a 700 or more.

Alex Chu
alex@mbaapply.com
Follow me on Facebook

Re: Kindly Evaluate my Profile. Thanks!   [#permalink] 10 Oct 2011, 16:46