Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 27 Aug 2014, 21:16

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Kindly review my profile and provide feedback

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Cornell-Johnson Thread Master
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.66
WE: Operations (Manufacturing)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 25

Reviews Badge
Kindly review my profile and provide feedback [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2013, 01:54
1) Brief description of experience
4 years experience in the manufacturing industry with a major Indian steel producer in positions ranging from core operations to project management to strategy formulation. I had lead a shift of 20 employees for a year and a half before moving to other positions. Currently I am in the MIS and operations analytics group managing operations and logistics in 8 manufacturing units across India

2) GMAT : 770 Q50 V44

3) College info:
College : Veer Surendra Sai Intstitute of Technology, Burla, India
Year and Degree : 2009, Bachelors in Technology, Electrical Engineering
GPA : 8.04/10 I am not sure how to convert it into the 4.0 scale but I was in the top 15% of the class

4) Significant college and post-college extra-curricular activities
Post college :
Was the founding member of a Rotary club at Rourkela, India. Served as the secretary of the club for 8 months before I was transferred out of Rourkela in April'12. Have not been able to get back in Rotary till now
College:
Was the secretary of the Electrical Engineers Club as well as an active participant of the Robotics Club.
Initated a Social service group name Green UCE for educating children and providing vocational training to the enemployed youth in a nearby slum. UCE being the former name of my college

5) Important certifications
6 Sigma auditing

6) Target programs.
Full time MBA Programs at MIT Sloan, Booth, Haas, Tepper and Ross. Please suggest any other programs

7) Post-MBA goal.
Strategy Consulting with a focus on operations research and entrepreneurship

When you feel like giving up, remember why you held on for so long in the first place.

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
MBA Admissions Consulting
WE: Consulting (Education)
Followers: 36

Kudos [?]: 131 [1] , given: 22

Re: Kindly review my profile and provide feedback [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2013, 05:00
This post received
KUDOS
Hey aceacharya - you've got a lot going for you, from what we see in this profile - nice job on that 770 GMAT! That definitely opens doors. Being in the top 15% of your class in college is also great. Many schools really like the good students so this can be a nice advantage.

You don't have to worry about converting your grades to the U.S. 4.0 system; MIT is now the only school that asks you to do that anymore but it's even optional; most schools want you to report your grades as your school has recorded them, and you can do that for MIT as well.

Your background is, as you know, quite common, being the rather stereotypical Indian male in IT - however you look like you're "ahead of the class" as it were, being distinguished with your basic stats, and your work experience is certainly appropriate. We're also quite encouraged by the schools you've listed; this is an excellent mix, and it shows you've been doing your research. You have some quite competitive schools but you've also got a few that are more reasonable, which indicates you're coming at this with a dose of reality - always a good sign!!! :-)

The one glitch that we're perceiving is that very last phrase - you want to do strategy consulting focused on ops (good) but then the "research" bit threw us and even worse, the "entrepreneurship" thing sorta made us go "Huh?" We're probably simply misunderstanding your intent but how does strategy consulting and entrepreneurship go together? Startups aren't often the target market for consultants simply because "there's no there there" - they don't typically have the funds to justify the high-cost consultants, and anyway, EVERYTHING about a startup is strategy so it's not like you need to bring in a special SWAT team of consultants to deal with something; the environment just doesn't typically fit with the standard strategy consulting model. So we admit to being confused on this part.

Strategy consulting is fine as a post-MBA goal and we like seeing you leverage your background in operations into your future career path, that can make a lot of sense. But strategy consulting is also like the most popular and trendiest goal in bschool admissions at the moment, so there's that; and the bigger question was just, how are you seeing this "research" angle, and especially the "entrepreneurship" thing, fit in? Maybe if you can clarify the goals for us, we can do more to help see where you might fit in.

The schools you've got are the ones we'd be suggesting for process management; the only one that's not on this list is Stanford but we honestly spend most of our time discouraging people from even trying for Stanford since it's just so darn hard to get into, so we are absolutely not suggesting you should add them (unless you're totally gung-ho and inspired for them, but you didn't mention them already so that sort of takes care of that).

Anyway, hope this helps!! Let us know what you think 'bout all that.

EssaySnark

EssaySnark Essays Reviewed on GMAT Club FOR FREE!

Reviews Badge
Re: Kindly review my profile and provide feedback [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2013, 20:09
Thanks a lot for the feedback guys. Really means a lot to me, getting such unbiased opinions from you. But please forgive me for picking your brains a little more.

Well First, I do NOT belong to the IT industry. I currently work for a public owned, steel manufacturer which incidentally is the largest in India and among the top 25 globally with over 100,000 employees. Their recruitment program is very rigorous starting with a nationwide written exam, generally appeared by 250,000 applicants, followed by interviews to select around 400 odd management trainees. I was also adjudged the best management trainee during my induction. Going on I have in my very first year won a trophy from the Chairman of the company, in a company wide challenge for the best model for " Harnessing an Innovative Culture in the company". For the first year and a half I was in-charge of one of the shifts for electrical maintenance of the Steel Melting Shop at one of the Production units of the company. Then I moved on the Project management for 6 months and further on to the Corporate side of things managing the MIS and strategy formulation. So I am pretty far removed from IT.

Regarding the part of my post MBA goal, maybe I stretched it a bit too far. During my experiences here at the company I have come across several start ups - in the manufacturing sector-, both personally as well as through acquaintances. I believe these ventures are what will drive the future in this region. But most of them like you said are obviously unable to afford professional consulting and therefore suffer or maybe suffer is too strong a word but they could definitely benefit a lot from the application of operations optimising, something I see being used in my organisation on a regular basis.

Therefore I wanted to gain experience in this field post MBA. There are so many advances in Operations research that I wanted to focus, during my studies, on ways of customising these theories to fit the operational models of new ventures. Then move out in the strategy consulting business gaining experience with the classic consultancy customers. But maybe in 10years I hope to work towards a way to offer professional services in this area that are accessible to the SMSEs therefore beniffiting them.

So MIT seems like the perfect fit, with its emphasis on Engineering and entrepreneurship and world class operations research faculties

But hey maybe I am too ambitious or too naive or plain stupid

Please comment if you find what I wrote in the above paragraphs is absolute gibberish.

When you feel like giving up, remember why you held on for so long in the first place.

MBA Admissions Consulting
WE: Consulting (Education)
Followers: 36

Kudos [?]: 131 [0], given: 22

Re: Kindly review my profile and provide feedback [#permalink] New post 20 Jul 2013, 10:56
Hey aceacharya - thanks for the additional info - your post was not gibberish. :-) We'll try to cover the points raised, if we miss anything you can hit us back.

aceacharya wrote:
Well First, I do NOT belong to the IT industry.
Fair enough, you're in steel manufacturing and that's not "the IT industry" - but we didn't actually say that you were. You said you're in MIS, and that sounds pretty darn equivalent to IT, in terms of being a business function where you work with the computers. If that's not what you do then "MIS" maybe isn't the best way to communicate it since it will likely be misinterpreted this way by others. Regardless, you also have a bachelor's in tech/engineering which puts you squarely in the same (albeit broad) camp. Perhaps we should've said "Indian male in engineering" but it's sorta splitting hairs. The point is that you're up against some obstacles due to the facts of your profile being so similar to so many others.

aceacharya wrote:
Regarding the part of my post MBA goal, maybe I stretched it a bit too far. During my experiences here at the company I have come across several start ups - in the manufacturing sector-, both personally as well as through acquaintances. I believe these ventures are what will drive the future in this region. But most of them like you said are obviously unable to afford professional consulting and therefore suffer or maybe suffer is too strong a word but they could definitely benefit a lot from the application of operations optimising, something I see being used in my organisation on a regular basis.

Therefore I wanted to gain experience in this field post MBA.
So we get it in terms of those companies needing help, but we don't get it in terms of what you're saying you want to do with your post-MBA career goals. This will need work.

Or maybe it won't: MIT doesn't actually care about the goals, they don't ask about them in the application process. They're much more interested in hearing you share how you've been a success in your career and life to date. They're also a good fit for ops and process management stuff so if that's your interest, you're making a good choice. The message still seems a little complicated, the way you're throwing out entrepreneurship and strategy consulting and all that, so if you'll be applying to other schools too then you'll need to work through this a little more. But it sounds like there's some nuggets of goodness in all of it and you're coming at things the right way. Lots of work ahead though! Good luck on everything and keep us posted.

EssaySnark

EssaySnark Essays Reviewed on GMAT Club FOR FREE!

Reviews Badge
Re: Kindly review my profile and provide feedback [#permalink] New post 20 Jul 2013, 22:55
Thanks a lot fellows. This really means a lot to me. I will definitely keep you posted once I create rough drafts of everything.

Thanks again

Re: Kindly review my profile and provide feedback   [#permalink] 20 Jul 2013, 22:55