Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Apr 2014, 19:30

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Kitchen magazine plans to license the use of its name by a

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Kitchen magazine plans to license the use of its name by a [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2009, 19:11
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

73% (02:29) correct 26% (01:45) wrong based on 41 sessions
Kitchen magazine plans to license the use of its name by a line of cookware. For a magazine, licensing the use of its name for products involves some danger, since if the products disappoint consumers, the magazine's reputation suffers, with consequent reduction in circulation and advertising. However, experts have evaluated the cookware and found it superior to all other cookware advertised in Kitchen. Therefore, Kitchen can collect its licensing fees without endangering its other revenues.

The argument above assumes which of the following?
a. No other line of cookware is superior to that which will carry the Kitchen name.
b. Kitchen will not license the use of its name for any products other than the line of cookware.
c. Makers of cookware will not find Kitchen a less attractive advertising vehicle because the magazine's name is associated with a competing product.
d. Consumers who are not regular readers of Kitchen magazine will be attracted to the cookware by the Kitchen name.
e. Kitchen is one of the most prestigious cooking-related magazines.

I wasn't even close in my guessing, hopefully this is an 800 type question. Please explain your answers. OA will be posted later.

Last edited by gurpreetsingh on 23 Jan 2011, 10:57, edited 2 times in total.
CR question
SVP
SVP
Schools: CBS, Kellogg
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 212 [0], given: 1

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: SC - GmatPrep - Kitchen magazine [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2009, 19:40
vladmoney wrote:
Kitchen magazine plans to license the use of its name by a line of cookware. For a magazine, licensing the use of its name for products involves some danger, since if the products disappoint consumers, the magazine's reputation suffers, with consequent reduction in circulation and advertising. However, experts have evaluated the cookware and found it superior to all other cookware advertised in Kitchen. Therefore, Kitchen can collect its licensing fees without endangering its other revenues.

a. No other line of cookware is superior to that which will carry the Kitchen name.
b. Kitchen will not license the use of its name for any products other than the line of cookware.
c. Makers of cookware will not find Kitchen a less attractive advertising vehicl because the magazine's name is associated with a competing product.
d. Consumers who are not regular readers of Kitchen magazine will be attracted to the cookware by the Kitchen name.

I wasn't even close in my guessing, hopefully this is an 800 type question. Please explain your answers. OA will be posted later.

D is the best.
3 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 60 [3] , given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC - GmatPrep - Kitchen magazine [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2009, 19:52
This post received
KUDOS
vladmoney wrote:

c. Makers of cookware will not find Kitchen a less attractive advertising vehicl because the magazine's name is associated with a competing product.

Let me take a guess.
E is one of the extreme answer that rarely will be right.
D I don't know, it does seem to relate to the circulation of the magazine though.
B products other than the line of cookware seems out of scope
A seems wrong to me too, but I don't know how to explain why it is wrong.

I will guess C. Since the conclusion says 'Kitchen can collect its licensing fees without endangering its other revenues', it is assuming that there is no other ways to endanger its other revenues. In other words, the quality of line of cookware is the only factor that might damage its other revenues. C kind of rules out other possibilities. Maker of cookware do want to advertise.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: SC - GmatPrep - Kitchen magazine [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2009, 19:55
OA:

close eyes if you don't want to see it yet.

C
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: La Martiniere for Boys
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 9

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC - GmatPrep - Kitchen magazine [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2009, 22:31
In such type of choices I feel it is better to use the Denial Test i.e. by denying the options can the argument be destroyed. You will arrive at the answer C. If the advertisers indeed have any objections they will not advertise in the magazine, and this destroys our argument.

Thanks
rampuria

1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 78 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC - GmatPrep - Kitchen magazine [#permalink] New post 06 Mar 2009, 02:25
This post received
KUDOS
Yes....I had also guessed it C only. C and D can be narrowed down. others r irrelevant. Here the punch line is the last line .
vladmoney wrote:

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: SC - GmatPrep - Kitchen magazine [#permalink] New post 06 Mar 2009, 04:05
I think answer is D.
SVP
SVP
Schools: CBS, Kellogg
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 212 [0], given: 1

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: SC - GmatPrep - Kitchen magazine [#permalink] New post 06 Mar 2009, 20:23
Agree C and agree GMAC is a good diceiver! :-D
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: SC - GmatPrep - Kitchen magazine [#permalink] New post 10 Mar 2009, 06:40
i think its c because in assumption questions
when u find therefore in the argument .....
find the choice which negates with the statement after therefore
clearly c does it

dont know if its wrong i too read it and almost got 99% right with this method
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC - GmatPrep - Kitchen magazine [#permalink] New post 14 Mar 2009, 21:54
I would venture a guess it's C.
In fact, I think it is.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 2

Re: SC - GmatPrep - Kitchen magazine [#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2009, 07:48
My answer is D
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC - GmatPrep - Kitchen magazine [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2009, 02:37

c. Makers of cookware will not find Kitchen a less attractive advertising vehicle because the magazine's name is associated with a competing product.

Premise 1: Kitchen magazine plans to license the use of its name by a line of cookware
Premise 2:.......... since if the products disappoint consumers, the magazine's reputation suffers, with consequent reduction in circulation and advertising Kitchen's revenue will arise from 1) licensing 2) advertisements from makers of cookware 3) circulation
Premise 3 : However, experts have evaluated the cookware and found it superior to all other cookware advertised in Kitchen. (no risk on licensing since it is evaluated by experts)
Conclusion : Therefore, Kitchen can collect its licensing fees without endangering its other revenues.(If Kitchen license its name then other cookware producers will not give adds, thus the revenue will be lessen. )

Please give kudos if you enjoy the explanations that I have given. Thanks :)

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 10

Re: SC - GmatPrep - Kitchen magazine [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2009, 03:34
For your info, this is not a 800 question...

I made a poor result (25) in verbal and this was my question 27... I guess then this is considered as a 500/550 question max

But indeed I found it really really hard...
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: SC - GmatPrep - Kitchen magazine [#permalink] New post 03 Jan 2010, 09:01
Sorry to reopen the topic but I am still slightly confused.

Initially, I chose B for the following reason. If the company *does* license its brand to other lines of cookware and the line is unsuccessful, then the magazine's revenue will be negatively affected.

Why wouldn't this make sense for an answer?

Thank you.
Manager
Manager
Schools: ISB
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 96 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC - GmatPrep - Kitchen magazine [#permalink] New post 23 Jun 2010, 22:14
Let me try..
A: Doesnt matter even if some other cookware is superior to the one using kitchen's name. In fact I see a scope shift "other line of cook ware" vs "other line of cookware advertised in kitchen". Eliminate.
B: Again who cares.. if it does lic to brand of shaving cream as long as it can get revenues. It may or may not work. So this is not an assumption. Eliminate.

C: Well now if C is true, then then the other makers of cookware who have till now advertised in kitchen might stop advertising in Kitchen. This could lead to loss of revenue.So C could be the answer.

D: What if this is not true.... no harm done. u will not increase revenue but u may/maynot lose revenue.. Eliminate.

E: Who cares is kitchen is not the most prestigeous mag.. Eliminate.

So C is my answer.

CONSIDER AWARDING KUDOS IF MY POST HELPS !!!

SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 161 [0], given: 6

Re: SC - GmatPrep - Kitchen magazine [#permalink] New post 08 Jul 2010, 07:28
option (C) it is.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 8

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC - GmatPrep - Kitchen magazine [#permalink] New post 08 Jul 2010, 08:11
C for me. Magazine revenues are partly derived from advertising sales, and if the venture endangers that - the venture will create problems for the magazine's other revenue vehicles.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 161 [0], given: 6

Re: SC - GmatPrep - Kitchen magazine [#permalink] New post 08 Jul 2010, 08:16
Makers of cookware will find Kitchen more attractive advertising vehicle because the magazine's name is associated with a competing product.

If the makers of cookware find kitchen magazine attractive then there is scope for kitchen magazine to generate revenue

but if the makers of cookware dont find kitchen magazine attractive then that would hurt the magazine's revenue which they get fro0m advertisements.

option (C) would strengthen and weaken the conclusion when we test with the extremes
SVP
SVP
Schools: CBS
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)
Followers: 28

Kudos [?]: 171 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC - GmatPrep - Kitchen magazine [#permalink] New post 06 Jan 2011, 09:28
funx wrote:
Sorry to reopen the topic but I am still slightly confused.

Initially, I chose B for the following reason. If the company *does* license its brand to other lines of cookware and the line is unsuccessful, then the magazine's revenue will be negatively affected.

Why wouldn't this make sense for an answer?

Thank you.

Who cares about other products?
Stay close to the argument, and this is about cookware.

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit

VP
VP
Affiliations: PMI,QAI Global,eXampleCG
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 121 [0], given: 10

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - GmatPrep - Kitchen magazine [#permalink] New post 17 Jun 2011, 02:03
C takes a hit at the revenue.
C it is.

Visit -- http://www.sustainable-sphere.com/
Promote Green Business,Sustainable Living and Green Earth !!

Re: CR - GmatPrep - Kitchen magazine   [#permalink] 17 Jun 2011, 02:03