Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 22:40

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Knewton Diagnostic test :(

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 6

Knewton Diagnostic test :( [#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2010, 07:29
Hi all,

Please give your input ...

I took my Knewton test . got 35(Q), 24(V)

i did a lot of practice for verbal and was looking for an improvement.. but totally shattered now..

quants i didnt practice much.... i took this test esp to know my improvement in verbal..

q's i got wrong in verbal are

8,14, 21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,31,36,38,40.

is the score low because continuously 8 q's were wrong from 21-28. as i was running out of time, i thought i will just skim the RC and actually did a blind guess.. might be that is the mistake i did...

but i am confused why the score is so low when only 14 q's wrong....

Please , any inputs will be really useful for me....
Knewton GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Current Student
Schools: Yale SOM
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 48 [0], given: 23

GMAT Tests User
Re: Knewton Diagnostic test :( [#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2010, 09:10
It's not the number of questions wrong that matters, but more so the difficulty of the questions. I took just the Q portion of the Knewton diagnostic a few weeks before my real test. Got a Q40. On the real test a few weeks later I ended up with Q48. Didn't do anything different in those weeks. Bottom line: don't worry about the score. Go back and see what you did wrong on the questions you got incorrect. IMO, Knewton diagnostic is an awful representation of one's potential.
Manager
Manager

Re: Knewton Diagnostic test :( [#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2010, 09:21
thanks for the input... as u said, i will focus on the weak areas....
i was worried like even with so much of practice, why there was not a good improvement in verbal atleast.
Current Student

GMAT Tests User
Re: Knewton Diagnostic test :( [#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2010, 09:29
I'm willing to bet that the reason your V score is low is because of the string of questions you got wrong in a row (21-28). That probably really hurt you. Also, the bind guessing on the RC probably didn't help. What books have you been using to prep?
Manager
Manager

Re: Knewton Diagnostic test :( [#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2010, 10:29
thanks again for your response. i was planning to take my GMAT in Dec... but now after the diagnostic, planning to take it only after my scores improve.

i did OG 12 (all sections). Now am doing OG 10 verbal...

i read somewhere like we should not get strings of q's wrong.. it can be like 1 right, 1 wrong, 1 right. do you agree with this ?

i did the mistake of guessing one full RC with 4 q's..
i dont think i have problem with accuracy . i was able to answer RC, SC and CR atleast in Knewton comfortably.. but timing is the problem for me...

i had time while finishing verbal.... on an average how many q's can we guess to get 35+ in verbal. now i clearly understand that it is not advisable to guess in RC and also in middle q's.. might be few guesses here n there.. but not at a stretch...

thanks again perseverance.. please guide me.. i need to gear up to get a good score..

Also, are there very low chances of admission if we apply in Round 3? now i doubt if i will be able to make it for round 2..

thanx...............
Current Student

GMAT Tests User
Re: Knewton Diagnostic test :( [#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2010, 10:52
See my answers in blue below.

srivicool wrote:
thanks again for your response. i was planning to take my GMAT in Dec... but now after the diagnostic, planning to take it only after my scores improve.

i did OG 12 (all sections). Now am doing OG 10 verbal... Are you using an error log? Error logs are key when you're prepping. It's not the number of questions you complete, but what you gain from each one.

i read somewhere like we should not get strings of q's wrong.. it can be like 1 right, 1 wrong, 1 right. do you agree with this ? Yes, you should not be getting multiple questions wrong in a row. That will be detrimental to your score.

i dont think i have problem with accuracy . i was able to answer RC, SC and CR atleast in Knewton comfortably.. but timing is the problem for me...

i had time while finishing verbal.... on an average how many q's can we guess to get 35+ in verbal. No one will be able to answer this accurately because it depends on the difficulty of the questions. Don't blindly guess but if you're taking too much time on a question, make an educated guess and move on and forget about it. now i clearly understand that it is not advisable to guess in RC and also in middle q's.. might be few guesses here n there.. but not at a stretch...

thanks again perseverance.. please guide me.. i need to gear up to get a good score..

Also, are there very low chances of admission if we apply in Round 3? now i doubt if i will be able to make it for round 2.. It depends on the school. Most schools say that R1 and R2 are essentially the same. With R3 your chances decline because there are fewer seats in the class.

thanx...............
Manager
Manager

Re: Knewton Diagnostic test :( [#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2010, 11:26
perseverance wrote:
See my answers in blue below.

srivicool wrote:

i did OG 12 (all sections). Now am doing OG 10 verbal... Are you using an error log? Error logs are key when you're prepping. It's not the number of questions you complete, but what you gain from each one.

yes. i maintain error log.. and reviewed it some time back. atleast SC and CR, i reviewed the wrong ones might be 3 weeks back.

i read somewhere like we should not get strings of q's wrong.. it can be like 1 right, 1 wrong, 1 right. do you agree with this ? Yes, you should not be getting multiple questions wrong in a row. That will be detrimental to your score.

ok. i will keep this in mind.

i had time while finishing verbal.... on an average how many q's can we guess to get 35+ in verbal. No one will be able to answer this accurately because it depends on the difficulty of the questions. Don't blindly guess but if you're taking too much time on a question, make an educated guess and move on and forget about it. now i clearly understand that it is not advisable to guess in RC and also in middle q's.. might be few guesses here n there.. but not at a stretch...

Also, are there very low chances of admission if we apply in Round 3? now i doubt if i will be able to make it for round 2.. It depends on the school. Most schools say that R1 and R2 are essentially the same. With R3 your chances decline because there are fewer seats in the class.

thanx...............

perseverance, Can you please let me know how to improve speed.

i have taken around 6,12, 8 mins for the 3 RC passages resp. which i did...and only 1 wrong out of them..
for few CR's i have taken 3mins time. many SC's i have answered in less than 1 min and few q's up to 3 mins...

i am not an avid reader.i read the books list given in this forum.. will try to finish 1k to 2k pages... i was planning to read 5-6 articles/day in NY times, washington post etc...just now read the fiction books list.. might be i should start reading them...
Current Student

GMAT Tests User
Re: Knewton Diagnostic test :( [#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2010, 17:08
In order to improve speed, you have to be sure you've mastered the fundamentals. Timed practice CATs in a GMAT-like setting will help you with timing.
Manager
Manager

Re: Knewton Diagnostic test :( [#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2010, 20:40
ok.. i will take the 2nd GMAT Prep after completing the OG and see my progress...

u said like u got 40(Q) in knewton. how many were wrong?? also in real GMAT , how many u think were wrong if u are able to recollect .
Current Student

GMAT Tests User
Re: Knewton Diagnostic test :( [#permalink] New post 16 Oct 2010, 04:34
srivicool wrote:
ok.. i will take the 2nd GMAT Prep after completing the OG and see my progress...

u said like u got 40(Q) in knewton. how many were wrong?? also in real GMAT , how many u think were wrong if u are able to recollect .

I can't remember how many I got wrong in the Knewton diagnostic. And I have no clue how many I might have gotten wrong on the real thing. Don't get caught up focusing on how many you are getting wrong. You can get a bunch wrong and still get a high score. Focus on the fundamentals and timing and you'll be fine. Best of luck!
Manager
Manager

Re: Knewton Diagnostic test :( [#permalink] New post 16 Oct 2010, 04:53
ok. thanks again for the input...
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

Re: Knewton Diagnostic test :( [#permalink] New post 02 Nov 2011, 17:00
Where can I find the Knewton diagnostic CAT?
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2219

Kudos [?]: 8187 [0], given: 3641

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Knewton Diagnostic test :( [#permalink] New post 02 Nov 2011, 18:34
Expert's post
snaps wrote:
Where can I find the Knewton diagnostic CAT?

You can take a free test here: http://www.knewton.com/gmat/free/practice-test/

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Knewton Diagnostic test :( [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2011, 05:11
DO NOT TAKE KNEWTON'S DIAGNOSTIC.
JUT DO NOT>
Re: Knewton Diagnostic test :(   [#permalink] 19 Dec 2011, 05:11