Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 15:18 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 15:18

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2215 [1]
Given Kudos: 75
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V40
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3468 [1]
Given Kudos: 210
Concentration: General Management, Nonprofit
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72859 [1]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2129 [1]
Given Kudos: 622
GPA: 3.77
Send PM
Re: Knewton Free diagnostic Test scoring- a little weird? [#permalink]
Kudos
Welcome gmatpapa :)

I have observed that their raw scores may not correlate with GMATprep scores, but I agree with Whiplash that their overall scores generally correlate with official GMAT scores.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Kudos
Hmmm.. Thanks. But I thought scaled scores directly correlate to the overall score. So if the overall scores are representative, so should the scaled scores, dont you think? Here's my score in the last 4 full length CATs I've taken:

GMAT Prep: 710
MGMAT: 710
Kaplan: 640
Knewton; 650

I've heard alot of people in GMAT club forums say you can safely add 70 points to Kaplan's score, so according to this idea, my Kaplan score of 640 becomes 710. So you see, the scores except Knewton are pretty consistent (SD=0 :lol: ), and those are quite recommended tests too. So something tells me I shouldn't really be too bothered by Knewton's score.. Would love to know test score experiences of current/ past knewton students..
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
gmatpapa wrote:
Hmmm.. Thanks. But I thought scaled scores directly correlate to the overall score. So if the overall scores are representative, so should the scaled scores, dont you think? Here's my score in the last 4 full length CATs I've taken:

GMAT Prep: 710
MGMAT: 710
Kaplan: 640
Knewton; 650

I've heard alot of people in GMAT club forums say you can safely add 70 points to Kaplan's score, so according to this idea, my Kaplan score of 640 becomes 710. So you see, the scores except Knewton are pretty consistent (SD=0 :lol: ), and those are quite recommended tests too. So something tells me I shouldn't really be too bothered by Knewton's score.. Would love to know test score experiences of current/ past knewton students..

I don't know... a 60 point differential doesn't seem too skewed. If it was 200 pts, then there might be a red flag...

However, I am also a bit puzzled on how the scoring works.

I recently signed up for Knewton (this being my first GMAT course) and took my first GMAT diagnostic test. Obviously, I can't comment about other tests but most of the difficult math questions seemed bunch up at the front. Is that normal? (I was quite worried when I saw very easy questions pop up at the later stages of the math portion.)

At any rate, I scored a 680 (46 Q 37 V) on the diagnostic so a 50 pt guarantee to 730 isn't too bad.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Management
Schools:Cambridge, HSG, Chicago Booth
Send PM
bb wrote:
I know Knewton has put quite a bit of effort into getting their tests to be accurate, so I would say they should be on par, esp that they offer a 50 point money back guarantee.

If anything, the 50 point money back guarantee is most likely to indicate a biased overall result.

I took their test today:
2 questions wrong in quant - 47 (total time used- 55 min :D )
6 questions wrong in verbal - 39

Actually, their results seem to correlate with the old fashioned GMAT scoring (non CAT), google RAW GMAT score calculator
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Given Kudos: 55
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Fuqua
GMAT 2: 650
WE 1: Research in Neurology
WE 2: MORE research in Neurology
Send PM
47/39 is pretty high it's 700+ either way right?

Also, I thought knewton's test was very much reflective of the ACTUAL GMAT, imo only though
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2215 [0]
Send PM
But I found a lot of the questions exact replicas of OG problems, with just proper nouns changed. May be thats why you found the questions as they are in the actual GMAT..
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Given Kudos: 55
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Fuqua
GMAT 2: 650
WE 1: Research in Neurology
WE 2: MORE research in Neurology
Send PM
gmatpapa wrote:
But I found a lot of the questions exact replicas of OG problems, with just proper nouns changed. May be thats why you found the questions as they are in the actual GMAT..

Now that you mention this I do remember a few questions looking like OG problems with a few SUBTLE changes, I'll agree with that, not sure if it's more than that though, I mean there are only so many ways you can test certain question types, so I'm not sure if these small changes would somehow inflate your score?

Maybe I'm not as articulate as I want to be, but do you see what i mean? if you do the OG I'm pretty sure you have seen pretty much ALL the Q types, inflating your score only because you've seen them, not sure knewton's exam would want to inflate only because they are the only company guaranteeing 50 points?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2215 [0]
Send PM
Wishbone wrote:
gmatpapa wrote:

Now that you mention this I do remember a few questions looking like OG problems with a few SUBTLE changes, I'll agree with that, not sure if it's more than that though, I mean there are only so many ways you can test certain question types, so I'm not sure if these small changes would somehow inflate your score?

Maybe I'm not as articulate as I want to be, but do you see what i mean? if you do the OG I'm pretty sure you have seen pretty much ALL the Q types, inflating your score only because you've seen them, not sure knewton's exam would want to inflate only because they are the only company guaranteeing 50 points?

I guess I see what you're saying. I might just say that even if Knewton uses OG questions with very subtle changes, and explains the questions in a good way to students, its good enough. As you rightly said that OG contains all problem types so a student most likely will learn all the methods in tackling questions from the most authentic source, the OG. Probably Knewton realizes this and thats why it uses such questions and offers a money back guarantee.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 724 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
I gave knewton free test just now and i scored 44 in quant; 8 incorrect answers.

In GMAT prep even with 13 wrong i had scored 49.

Not sure of the discrepancy.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 300 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Send PM
hii, I gave knewton's diagnostic test today and got 730.(q46, v 45) I believe its questions were pretty good and representative of OG and gmatprep. I do feel marking was a little strict in quant but at the same time I also feel marking for verbal section was very lenient. Overall I liked the experience of knewton test.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Location: In my cerebellum. Betwixt the Past and the Future. In the moment and the Present.
Schools:INSEAD
Send PM
730 is great on their test... their scoring seems a bit wonky but they called my score almost to a t if I average the test results... the quant scoring leaves no room for mistakes.. you'll lose huge points even if you get a couple of them wrong...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 267 [0]
Given Kudos: 134
Concentration: Healthcare, International Business
GMAT 1: 710 Q42 V45
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.3
WE:Research (Consulting)
Send PM
guys great to see this thread. I just wrote the free Knewton and got a 650, M 38, V 43. My last MGMAT was a 740 (M47, V44). Umm, should i be panicking? I have 13 days before the test (august 3rd). I'm going to sit and review in a bit, but seriously, a NINE point drop in quant??? And that too, while writing the test, I was thinking "wow this is SO much easier than Manhattan!"

Anybody have any insight? Anything would be hugely helpful. Also, I don't I got any of the "typical" tough question on permutations/probability etc. Weird.

What the hell! Here are my other scores over the last 3 months,
GMAC 1: 710 (inflated becuase of OG 12 question repeat),
Veritas (free): 690
MGMAT 1: 700
MGMAT 2: 700
Princeton (free): 700
MGMAT 3: 740
Knewton (free): 650!!!!!!!!!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Kudos
You should absolutely NOT be panicking..

Use those 13 days efficiently and you'll do fine on your G-day :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
I just had knewton free diagnostic test and scored 640 (46Q, 31V). Is this score similar to other GMAT CAT tests.
I got 5q wrong in Qunat and 8 in verbal.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
rvrbE642
Intern
Intern
Send PM
SILLLY ME :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
GMAT Date: 11-30-2011
GPA: 3.1
Send PM
I have subscribed to knewton.

I really doubt the scoring pattern

I scored 630-650 in 5 of my mgmats, i took one of knewton's normal test ( not diagnostic ) , and i scored 570

what i fail to understand is that i got only 5 Qs wrong , these five Qs were also not in raw, these 5 Qs were very much distributed in the given set of 37 and i scored only 39 in Quant

I got 10 Qs wrong in verbal and i scored 30 only , again these 10 Qs were also distributed within 41 Q - except one incident of 2Qs wrong in raw.

I really dont know which one to consider ? the consistency of mgmat or the scores of knewton ?

Please guide
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2