Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 14 Jul 2014, 07:46

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Knewton online course. Review.

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: Knewton online course. Review. [#permalink] New post 22 Feb 2010, 16:21
I'm planning on joining Knewtons course but I need someone to pair with to get the 150$ off. So please let me know if anyone is interested so we both could get 150$ back.
Thanks!

Last edited by anin on 24 Mar 2010, 04:01, edited 1 time in total.
Knewton GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2139

Kudos [?]: 7356 [0], given: 3619

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Knewton online course. Review. [#permalink] New post 22 Feb 2010, 16:25
Expert's post
FYI

Current KnewtonPromotion:
Exclusive GMAT Club Promotion
Get $150 off and GMAT Club Tests when you sign up with Knewton before Feb 28th, 2010
Use KNEWTONBEST-GMAT-CLUB promo code

to get gmat club tests you must use the promo code above

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 60 [0], given: 25

GMAT Tests User
Re: Knewton online course. Review. [#permalink] New post 22 Feb 2010, 16:31
PM your email id and name if you want me to refer you.

Cheers,
SD

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: UT at Austin, Indiana State University, UC at Berkeley
WE 1: 5.5
WE 2: 5.5
WE 3: 6.0
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 16

GMAT Tests User
Re: Knewton online course. Review. [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2010, 22:53
I took Knewton Diagnostic test today.

Math section was pretty similar to what I have experienced at real GMAT.
However, verbal section was fairly easy. And I was disappointed by easy questions they had.

Overall, I got 680 at Knewton Diagnostics Q44 V40.
In real GMAT I had 660 Q47 V 34.

So, I am assuming that verbal section of Knewton looks quite easy, because I scored V40, while in real GMAT I just did V34.

So, I will have to study by myself besides doing Knewton course, any suggestions on how to study verbal section.
I already have all Manhattan GMAT books.
Thank you
P.S. I will keep updating my progress, as I take the course through Spring semester.

Never give up,,,

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Social Entrepreneurship
Schools: Northwestern (Kellogg) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 680 Q44 V40
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 3

Re: Knewton online course. Review. [#permalink] New post 01 Apr 2010, 18:07
Signed up today, will definitely update the group on progress. Also, if anyone wants to take this course, I can refer you and save us both an extra $100.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Knewton online course. Review. [#permalink] New post 08 May 2010, 06:24
Hi, if anyone wants to partner up with the referral, email me ddanht @ yahoo dot com

Thanks,

~dan
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [2] , given: 6

Re: Knewton online course. Review. [#permalink] New post 28 May 2010, 10:56
This post received
KUDOS
I thought I'd add my impressions of the Knewton course up to this point. I've attended 4 sessions so far, and I have mixed feelings right now. First, a little background on me: I'm hoping to take the GMAT for the first time this fall, and I'm interested in a masters in accounting rather than an MBA. I'm an older student, returning to school after about 15 years. I've been taking grad school pre-requisities for the past 18 months, so while I'd been away from an academic environment for quite a while, I've been back in the saddle for a little bit. I have done only limited GMAT prep so far. I started studying last summer, and it became clear I needed more review, particularly for math. I did some algebra review last summer and took stats this fall. From the limited GMAT prep I've done so far, I need the most work in math (particularly DS) and RC for verbal. I am planning to do additional self-study after the Knewton course is over, using the OG and MGMAT books. I scored 570 on the Knewton diagnostic CAT, and I'm shooting for 700, so clearly I have my work cut out for me. I chose Knewton because the PR classroom course I originally signed up for was canceled, and I needed an option I could fit around my work and school schedules.

Here's what I think of Knewton so far...

The good:
- The instructors are very good. Our verbal instructor is especially good; funny and very engaging. Our math instructor is good, although we had a substitute the very first class, which kind of threw things off.
- Having access to a TA is very helpful. I can ask questions privately and not hold up the class. Unfortunately, while I'm interacting with the TA, the instructor is continuing on with the rest of the class, so it's easy to get behind and miss things.

The bad:
- You don't have access to any of the pre-tests, concept queue, homework problems, etc. until you either take the diagnostic test or enter a baseline score from the official GMAT. I registered for the course less than a week before the first class, and I didn't have a block of time to take the diagnostic before it started. I was completely lost at the first class, and I'm still trying to catch up.
- It's difficult to get individual help. The TA has been great, but it's not like a classroom setting where I could ask repeated questions and not get behind, or catch the teacher after class for extra help. I have asked repeatedly for help with DS questions, because they're a particular weakness of mine, and the only answer I've received is to explain (again) the format of DS. I get the format, and that's not the problem.
- The user interface is decent, but parts of it are confusing. I still don't understand exactly what I'm supposed to do with the concept queue, and when I emailed to ask, they didn't really give me a clear answer, other than that the queue is constantly updating. I get that, but what do I do with it in order to learn?
- There is no printed material to accompany the course. They encourage you to buy the OG, which I already did. But I can't work on Knewton homework problems on my lunch hour, for example, without having access to a computer.

I'll try to update as I go through more sessions, because I'm guessing my opinion may change once I'm able to spend more time using the site's features.
Knewton GMAT Representative
Schools: BA Amherst College, MFA Brooklyn College
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 1

Re: Knewton online course. Review. [#permalink] New post 28 May 2010, 13:19
Thanks for sharing your thoughts on our course. Glad you like the teachers; they are really fantastic.

I can answer your question about the concept queue. Our academics team has combed the test hundreds of times in order to isolate the 1000+ atomic concepts that the GMAT tests. As you go through your sessions in the Knewton system, the queue is able to pull the concepts you need to focus on the most -- based on your performance.

Please let me know if you need anything else, including help on DS. :-D

Cheers,
Josh

Josh Anish
Senior Editor
Knewton, Inc

Free GMAT Club tests ($250 value) in addition to any other discounts or coupons when you buy the Knewton Course with KnewtonBest-GMAT-Club discount code.
Use this promo code when you sign up for Knewton: KnewtonBest-GMAT-Club

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [1] , given: 10

Re: Knewton online course. Review. [#permalink] New post 08 Jul 2010, 20:14
This post received
KUDOS
Recently took Knewton Diagnostic GMAT CAT and scored 680 (Q 45 V 39)...although my Quant score is underscored, as I have got only three questions wrong....

Researched few reviews and joined Knewton Course (50 Point increase Money back guarantee was very impressive)...

My official GMAT is in August, so planning to finish Knewton course by this month end..will keep posting you guyz...
:-D
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2139

Kudos [?]: 7356 [1] , given: 3619

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Knewton online course. Review. [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2010, 21:36
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
mydreambschool wrote:
Recently took Knewton Diagnostic GMAT CAT and scored 680 (Q 45 V 39)...although my Quant score is underscored, as I have got only three questions wrong....

Researched few reviews and joined Knewton Course (50 Point increase Money back guarantee was very impressive)...

My official GMAT is in August, so planning to finish Knewton course by this month end..will keep posting you guyz...
:-D

Cool! Congrats.
Don't forget about the free offer to get free GMAT Club Tests if you signed up with our code.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Knewton online course. Review. [#permalink] New post 10 Jul 2010, 07:02
if anyone needs a referral, send me an email at alla@xytopok.net
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 53 [1] , given: 5

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Knewton online course. Review. [#permalink] New post 14 Jul 2010, 11:17
This post received
KUDOS
please use the below link to get $100 off on knewton gmat course

http://knewton.tellapal.com/a/clk/nbCzG
Intern
Intern

Re: Knewton online course. Review. [#permalink] New post 01 Sep 2010, 13:46
Hello All:

I have been reading different blogs in trying to decide if I should take the knewton GMAT prep course. I have taken the GMAT test last year and scored terribly, and this time around, would prefer to burn every option in preparing before taking the test again.

I would really appreciate it If someone (NO Knewton employees :) ) could kindly please share their experience with me in taking knewton GMAT prep course. Any suggestion would help.

Thanks
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 60 [0], given: 25

GMAT Tests User
Re: Knewton online course. Review. [#permalink] New post 01 Sep 2010, 13:54
knewton is good for you if you are scoring less than 650 now. If you are planning to score 700+ then you should not rely only on Knewton material. Though Knewton will make sure your base is strong.

Knewton teachers are great. This online course is also very good and adaptive. There is no doubt about it. Money wise it is the best deal in the market right now.

GMAT Test - very similar to real test but math scoring is very weird and low scoring.

More or less Knewton is good.
In my opinion
Value for Money - 5/5
Course - 5/5
GMAT CAT 3.5/5
Difficulty level - 4/5

Cheers,
SD

Intern
Intern

Re: Knewton online course. Review. [#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2010, 03:52
Thanks SD, I really appreciate sharing your thoughts.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Knewton online course. Review. [#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2010, 08:05
if anyone needs a referral - you can email me at rk0091@hotmail.com

It's not the IMO, it's the OA!!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Chicago,Tuck,Oxford,cambridge
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 7

Re: Knewton online course. Review. [#permalink] New post 06 Sep 2010, 19:30
Hi I have also joined knewton..I find the course really good.class teachers are very nice and helpful in every way.There are pre assessments before the class..After assessment tests after the class concept videos and concept queues to explain the part u went wrong..On demand video archive and also we can change the class according to our timings and need..if i wanaa attend any class again i can join another batch with a click of button..There are seperate PDF for Class reviews like whatever has been taught in class one can revise that from PDF..Support is also provided for any querries or doubt..Overall i will say i find knewton Interesting and good enuf for preparations...:) 50 points gaurantee is gr8 to attract people :)
thanx
sandy
Director
Director
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 65 [0], given: 46

GMAT Tests User
Re: Knewton online course. Review. [#permalink] New post 06 Sep 2010, 20:12
I finished the Knewton course. For the price I think it is a great course. It is significantly cheaper than the other courses out there (with discounts). Their problems are very similar to OG, but the explanations are way better. The classes were great. I was very impressed with the instructors and they kept me engaged and focused the entire time. I am still a little skeptical about their verbal algorithm on the CAT scoring though.

It's a dawg eat dawg world.

Manager
Manager
Schools: NYU,UCLA,BOOTH,STANFORD
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 36

GMAT Tests User
Re: Knewton online course. Review. [#permalink] New post 15 Sep 2010, 06:33
I finished to read all knewton section. I just wonder after all these complains about its cat exams,why they do no try to fix and change it.

My skeptical mind poking me that maybe it is a marketing strategy. They keep you down and reduce your expectations from real GMAT and then when you get good score from GMAT you would appreciate to knewton.

Any possible answer?

I really want to try knewton, however I can't trust them jus because of this behavior.

So confused, tomorrow will read manhattan GMAT section and will decide.

This is not finished here...Watch me.....

Manager
Manager
Schools: UNC Kenan-Flagler, IU Kelley, Emory GSB
WE 1: 5 yrs
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 50

GMAT Tests User
Re: Knewton online course. Review. [#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2010, 03:58
fatihaysu wrote:
I finished to read all knewton section. I just wonder after all these complains about its cat exams,why they do no try to fix and change it.

My skeptical mind poking me that maybe it is a marketing strategy. They keep you down and reduce your expectations from real GMAT and then when you get good score from GMAT you would appreciate to knewton.

Any possible answer?

I really want to try knewton, however I can't trust them jus because of this behavior.

So confused, tomorrow will read manhattan GMAT section and will decide.

I've completed by Knewton classroom course and am about to give my last CAT.

My test scores vary a lot and am pretty nervous about it! Hoping that i'll get better by the time of the test.

Knewton1 - Q40/V37 - 620
Knewton2 - Q49/V31 - 670
Knewton3 - Q45/V31 - 620 again :(
Knewton4 - Q45/V38 - 680

In my first, zero preparation, GMATprep I got 650 - Q44/V36...so it appears that am making no progress :(

Anyway, I am thoroughly impressed by the knewton instructors and their course format. There are a lot of practice problems in the form of pretest/retest/homework/additional practice.

But I found the CATs to be a little weird. They are not too high on difficulty but the scoring is very tough. I missed 2 questions in quant once and got 49. I missed 4 questions the other day and got 45.

I found their verbal materials pretty impressive. Knewtons strategy for RC is very good too. All in all, am pretty impressed. But I am a little perturbed to read comments that knewtons materials arent sufficient for anyone targetting 700+.

Is that really true? With less than 50 days to go for my G-Day, I would like to switch gears and move on to tougher sources if it is so.

Experts, please guide.

P.S. If anyone wants a referral/discount, please PM me.

The night is at its darkest just before the dawn... never, ever give up!

Last edited by yossarian84 on 15 Oct 2010, 04:28, edited 1 time in total.
Re: Knewton online course. Review.   [#permalink] 15 Oct 2010, 03:58