Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Apr 2014, 07:23

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Knewton online course. Review.

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Status: Preparing myself to break the sound( 700 )-barrier!
Affiliations: IFC - Business Edge, Bangladesh Enterprise Institute
Joined: 15 Feb 2011
Posts: 209
Location: Dhaka, Bangladesh
Schools: Texas A&M - Mays; PennState - Smeal; Purdue - Krannert; JohnsHopkins - Carey; Vanderbilt - Owen; WakeForest - Babcock; UBC - Sauder
WE 1: Financial Analyst/Financial Management Trainer - BRAC Afghanistan - 13 months
WE 2: Business Proposal Coordinator - MiDS, Inc. (in Kabul, Afghanistan) - 4 Months (did quit the job bcoz of security concerns)
WE 3: Readers For Readers (A Social Impact Generating Organization) - Co-Founder
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 136

Re: Knewton online course. Review. [#permalink] New post 09 May 2011, 23:29
Av wrote:
I'm starting the Knewton course on June 29th. I'll be sure to share my experiences, but we'll let the results speak for themselves. Hopefully it really takes me from 700 to 750+ :)



Dear Av,

Which course ( of Knewton ) did you actually take? The course with regular price of US$ 690 ( i.e. Premium Live ) or the one with US$ 350 ( i.e. Complete Prep )? Sorry if this question is a redundant one.

I am a gonna-be student of Knewton. I must say, I am impressed reading the reviews about Knewton. I am researching how much value does it add ( if any ) with the extra US$340 for the "Live Sessions" to the GMATees' prep. If the live sessions don't add that value ( by a considerable amount ), I am gonna purchase their Complete Prep for US$ 350 ( regular price ).

Thanks for your reply! :-)
Knewton GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Status: Preparing for GMAT !!!
Joined: 09 Apr 2010
Posts: 127
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 19 [1] , given: 41

Re: Knewton online course. Review. [#permalink] New post 10 May 2011, 04:14
1
This post received
KUDOS
Schawjibb,

I just sent you a PM.
_________________

If you like my post, consider giving me Kudos !!

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
User avatar
Status: Badgerine!
Joined: 04 Oct 2008
Posts: 894
Location: United States (CA)
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.3
WE: Project Management (Aerospace and Defense)
Followers: 59

Kudos [?]: 261 [1] , given: 86

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Knewton online course. Review. [#permalink] New post 11 May 2011, 09:22
1
This post received
KUDOS
Schawjibb wrote:
Av wrote:
I'm starting the Knewton course on June 29th. I'll be sure to share my experiences, but we'll let the results speak for themselves. Hopefully it really takes me from 700 to 750+ :)



Dear Av,

Which course ( of Knewton ) did you actually take? The course with regular price of US$ 690 ( i.e. Premium Live ) or the one with US$ 350 ( i.e. Complete Prep )? Sorry if this question is a redundant one.

I am a gonna-be student of Knewton. I must say, I am impressed reading the reviews about Knewton. I am researching how much value does it add ( if any ) with the extra US$340 for the "Live Sessions" to the GMATees' prep. If the live sessions don't add that value ( by a considerable amount ), I am gonna purchase their Complete Prep for US$ 350 ( regular price ). I wouldn't pay $340 for this feature either.

If I were considering Knewton today, I'd choose the Complete Prep course.

Thanks for your reply! :-)

When I took the Knewton course, they were still a new company and the features were probably a little different. Believe it or not, they actually used to advertise a free Mini-MBA Course taught by an HBS professor, but they never followed through on that promise (sadly). Looking at their marketing materials now, it looks like the "Premium Live" course differs from the "Complete Prep" in two ways:

1) Premium Live allows you to attend the classes live (instead of watching archived videos).
*It's nice to be able to ask the instructor questions, but a lot of people prefer to watch archived videos at their own pace. For me, this feature wouldn't be worth paying an extra $340 for.

2) Premium Live provides an additional 8 months of access.
*If you finish your prep in 2-3 months, like most people do, I'd be surprised if you ever login to your Knewton account again (especially 12 months after you start the course). I wouldn't pay $340 for this feature either.

If I were considering Knewton today, I'd choose the Complete Prep course.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Status: Preparing myself to break the sound( 700 )-barrier!
Affiliations: IFC - Business Edge, Bangladesh Enterprise Institute
Joined: 15 Feb 2011
Posts: 209
Location: Dhaka, Bangladesh
Schools: Texas A&M - Mays; PennState - Smeal; Purdue - Krannert; JohnsHopkins - Carey; Vanderbilt - Owen; WakeForest - Babcock; UBC - Sauder
WE 1: Financial Analyst/Financial Management Trainer - BRAC Afghanistan - 13 months
WE 2: Business Proposal Coordinator - MiDS, Inc. (in Kabul, Afghanistan) - 4 Months (did quit the job bcoz of security concerns)
WE 3: Readers For Readers (A Social Impact Generating Organization) - Co-Founder
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 136

Re: Knewton online course. Review. [#permalink] New post 11 May 2011, 20:52
Av wrote:
When I took the Knewton course, they were still a new company and the features were probably a little different. Believe it or not, they actually used to advertise a free Mini-MBA Course taught by an HBS professor, but they never followed through on that promise (sadly). Looking at their marketing materials now, it looks like the "Premium Live" course differs from the "Complete Prep" in two ways:

1) Premium Live allows you to attend the classes live (instead of watching archived videos).
*It's nice to be able to ask the instructor questions, but a lot of people prefer to watch archived videos at their own pace. For me, this feature wouldn't be worth paying an extra $340 for.

2) Premium Live provides an additional 8 months of access.
*If you finish your prep in 2-3 months, like most people do, I'd be surprised if you ever login to your Knewton account again (especially 12 months after you start the course). I wouldn't pay $340 for this feature either.

If I were considering Knewton today, I'd choose the Complete Prep course.



Thanks, Av! That's the precise answer that I was expecting to receive (how the LIVE chatting-classes add value to your prep?).

I have got a discount proposal (verified by Knewton) from my friend just after throwing this Q. The discount (50%) will save US$ 345 if I buy the Premium Live course. Do you think it would worth a shot? Or, had it been you instead of me, you would have still gone for the Complete Prep course?

Sorry for the constant poking, Av! :-P
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 31 May 2010
Posts: 138
Schools: Columbia - Class of 2013
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 19

Re: Knewton online course. Review. [#permalink] New post 12 May 2011, 14:12
I Agree with Av.
If I had to choose again, I will go with the Complete prep course (this option was not available when I did the course). However, with you discount I will go with the full course. It's going to be one of your best investments!
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Status: Preparing myself to break the sound( 700 )-barrier!
Affiliations: IFC - Business Edge, Bangladesh Enterprise Institute
Joined: 15 Feb 2011
Posts: 209
Location: Dhaka, Bangladesh
Schools: Texas A&M - Mays; PennState - Smeal; Purdue - Krannert; JohnsHopkins - Carey; Vanderbilt - Owen; WakeForest - Babcock; UBC - Sauder
WE 1: Financial Analyst/Financial Management Trainer - BRAC Afghanistan - 13 months
WE 2: Business Proposal Coordinator - MiDS, Inc. (in Kabul, Afghanistan) - 4 Months (did quit the job bcoz of security concerns)
WE 3: Readers For Readers (A Social Impact Generating Organization) - Co-Founder
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 136

Re: Knewton online course. Review. [#permalink] New post 12 May 2011, 22:13
malbec wrote:
I Agree with Av.
If I had to choose again, I will go with the Complete prep course (this option was not available when I did the course). However, with you discount I will go with the full course. It's going to be one of your best investments!


Thanks, malbec!
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Joined: 12 May 2011
Posts: 99
Location: United States
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V44
GMAT 2: Q V
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 14 [1] , given: 4

Re: Knewton online course. Review. [#permalink] New post 14 May 2011, 06:26
1
This post received
KUDOS
i've been browsing the forums after a recommendation from a friend, but haven't really posted. just wanted to add my feedback regarding knewton.

i studied on my own for the gmat for several months, using the official guide, kaplan, kaplan 800, and several manhattan gmat books, and initially got a 700. i wanted to get a little higher to improve my chances at a top tier school, so i decided to take it again. i came across knewton and its 50 point guarantee, so i decided to go for it. i honestly don't think i learned all that much from having attended the sessions, but the extra practice problems were helpful just to get more exposure to problems and to work on my timing. as has already been mentioned, the scoring for the practice exams are a bit peculiar, but nonetheless were good practice. in the end, i ended up getting a 730, which i hope will be good enough to get me into a top school when i do actually apply.

since i didn't improve my score by 50 points, i'll be getting a refund from knewton for my course. looking back on the course itself, the lessons themselves weren't all too helpful, but the additional drills and exercises were. since it's an online program, it also helps that i was able to do the problems at work on my computer during down time. overall, if i were to do it again, i'd sign up for knewton- if you already have a decent score on a previous gmat sitting, it's basically a good way to hedge your bets and also get additional practice preparation in for the next exam.

hope this helped, and if anyone has any specific question/s please let me know.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Status: Preparing myself to break the sound( 700 )-barrier!
Affiliations: IFC - Business Edge, Bangladesh Enterprise Institute
Joined: 15 Feb 2011
Posts: 209
Location: Dhaka, Bangladesh
Schools: Texas A&M - Mays; PennState - Smeal; Purdue - Krannert; JohnsHopkins - Carey; Vanderbilt - Owen; WakeForest - Babcock; UBC - Sauder
WE 1: Financial Analyst/Financial Management Trainer - BRAC Afghanistan - 13 months
WE 2: Business Proposal Coordinator - MiDS, Inc. (in Kabul, Afghanistan) - 4 Months (did quit the job bcoz of security concerns)
WE 3: Readers For Readers (A Social Impact Generating Organization) - Co-Founder
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 136

Re: Knewton online course. Review. [#permalink] New post 14 May 2011, 21:13
sesamemochi wrote:
i've been browsing the forums after a recommendation from a friend, but haven't really posted. just wanted to add my feedback regarding knewton.

i studied on my own for the gmat for several months, using the official guide, kaplan, kaplan 800, and several manhattan gmat books, and initially got a 700. i wanted to get a little higher to improve my chances at a top tier school, so i decided to take it again. i came across knewton and its 50 point guarantee, so i decided to go for it. i honestly don't think i learned all that much from having attended the sessions, but the extra practice problems were helpful just to get more exposure to problems and to work on my timing. as has already been mentioned, the scoring for the practice exams are a bit peculiar, but nonetheless were good practice. in the end, i ended up getting a 730, which i hope will be good enough to get me into a top school when i do actually apply.

since i didn't improve my score by 50 points, i'll be getting a refund from knewton for my course. looking back on the course itself, the lessons themselves weren't all too helpful, but the additional drills and exercises were. since it's an online program, it also helps that i was able to do the problems at work on my computer during down time. overall, if i were to do it again, i'd sign up for knewton- if you already have a decent score on a previous gmat sitting, it's basically a good way to hedge your bets and also get additional practice preparation in for the next exam.

hope this helped, and if anyone has any specific question/s please let me know.



It's going to be another post that encourages me to take a side for Knewton!

Thanks, sesamemochi!
Current Student
Joined: 12 May 2011
Posts: 99
Location: United States
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V44
GMAT 2: Q V
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 4

Re: Knewton online course. Review. [#permalink] New post 18 May 2011, 12:11
no problem, and good luck w/ your studying! if you have any questions about knewton/the gmat in general, please feel free to reach out to me.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Joined: 30 Jun 2011
Posts: 275
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 20

Reviews Badge
Re: Knewton online course. Review. [#permalink] New post 25 May 2012, 06:02
Great info here and good luck Schawjibb for day after tommorrow :)
Re: Knewton online course. Review.   [#permalink] 25 May 2012, 06:02
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
New posts online math review courses thenine 1 27 Mar 2006, 22:11
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. New 12 Experts publish their posts in the topic Knewton Live Online GMAT Course bb 178 20 Oct 2009, 00:43
Popular new posts Experts publish their posts in the topic Starting Knewton GMAT Online Course PussInBoots 12 14 Jan 2010, 18:25
Moved topic 26 Experts publish their posts in the topic Knewton online course. Review. Av 169 06 Apr 2009, 19:01
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Knewton online course. Review.

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   [ 170 posts ] 



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.