Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 07:18 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 07:18

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 303 [0]
Given Kudos: 86
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.3
WE:Project Management (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 70 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Director
Director
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: All GMAT CAT Practice Tests - links, prices, reviews [#permalink]
ahhh i see. Have you tried anything at all though ?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [0]
Send PM
Knewton is a new provider,..I am not familiar with them...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 70 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
spgny wrote:

your right they are fairly new to the scene but have a lot of backing and an excellent concept. I think they started sometime last year.

Essentially the concept is as follows;

The former executive of Kaplan (GMAT SCORE 800) along with some of their and other companies brightest and best GMAT instructors formed KNEWTON.
At the core of Knewtons appeal is its adaptive individual profiling and prescribing materials and contents individualised to your needs.
They offer 45+ live classes fully interactive. more than 300+ previous recorded classes and concept videos. More than 3200 practice items. everything is covered and you have access to instructors as well as assistants for help.
How is it majorily different?
Well you do their GMAT CAT and your account is already given a baseline score. However the system has also already analysed that and built an individualised plan with tests, videos, texts etc. As you keep progressing and practicing and studying it continually keeps analysing, adapting and changing the prescribed materials based on your weaknesses. Its smart studying not harder studying.
The system is very precise and not generalised. It picks up on the lowest level concepts and mistakes and prescribing materials to aid you. It recognises for example that your weak with 30 degress triangles ( as opposed to simply triangles/geometry etc) or bad at subjunctives or your most common mistakes etc and keeps prescribing adapting and changing as you do to help you learn better what you need to learn.

Now compare that to a book? Its a lot simpler and much more smarter and time effective.

Sign up try it and see what u think, the trial is free and whilst ur at it attend the live class as well.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [0]
Send PM
mousymouse wrote:
spgny wrote:

your right they are fairly new to the scene but have a lot of backing and an excellent concept. I think they started sometime last year.

Essentially the concept is as follows;

The former executive of Kaplan (GMAT SCORE 800) along with some of their and other companies brightest and best GMAT instructors formed KNEWTON.
At the core of Knewtons appeal is its adaptive individual profiling and prescribing materials and contents individualised to your needs.
They offer 45+ live classes fully interactive. more than 300+ previous recorded classes and concept videos. More than 3200 practice items. everything is covered and you have access to instructors as well as assistants for help.
How is it majorily different?
Well you do their GMAT CAT and your account is already given a baseline score. However the system has also already analysed that and built an individualised plan with tests, videos, texts etc. As you keep progressing and practicing and studying it continually keeps analysing, adapting and changing the prescribed materials based on your weaknesses. Its smart studying not harder studying.
The system is very precise and not generalised. It picks up on the lowest level concepts and mistakes and prescribing materials to aid you. It recognises for example that your weak with 30 degress triangles ( as opposed to simply triangles/geometry etc) or bad at subjunctives or your most common mistakes etc and keeps prescribing adapting and changing as you do to help you learn better what you need to learn.

Now compare that to a book? Its a lot simpler and much more smarter and time effective.

Sign up try it and see what u think, the trial is free and whilst ur at it attend the live class as well.

Sounds interesting..adaptive teaching according to your weaknesses...admit it is appealing to me, because I think it is human nature to avoid that which causes pain,...I am going to check out the site...
Intern
Intern
Send PM
do so spgny and try everything out on ur free trial and see what you think. do their gmat first and then go from there.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Harvard Business School, Stanford
Send PM
The Knewton courses look good. Make sure to share your experience with others! Good luck!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 303 [1]
Send PM
Re: Knewton online course. Review. [#permalink]
Kudos
My course section has been replaced with a Tues/Thurs from June 4th - July 23rd.

I'm currently spending my spare time reviewing the fundamentals of both Quant and Verbal, so I can be prepared for my diagnostic exam. It's been 6 months since I took my first official GMAT, so I'm a little bit rusty.

I will try to provide detailed and meaningful feedback along the way, so feel free to ask questions :)
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72867 [0]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
This will be very helpful!
There is not really much info about Knewton.
Kudos
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1598 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
I have already started their course. I am in today for the second session. I love it so far. But I will let the result speak for itself in the end of July. I have taken Kaplan course and both Kaplan and Manhattan private tutoring in the past. Although Kaplan and Manhattan does seem to have the high score guarantee as well, but they never said if they mean for the practice exam or the actual exam. But Knewton guarantees 50 point increase from the official exam. Otherwise, you can get money back. Of course, you have to follow the syllabus and do all the pretest, retest and practice problems, (this could be a lot). Their material is very close to the real thing and I can see shadow of OG in it too. My instructor is awesome and I like his sense of humor. Since I only took their diagnosetic test, I don't really know how their score algorithem works compare to others. But the score I got from their diagnosetic exam is the exact same score I got from my last official exam which is 660. I am kind of excited and looking forward to see if I will get 710 or maybe higher by the end of July when the class ends. I will keep you guys posted.
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
eileen1017 wrote:
I have already started their course. I am in today for the second session. I love it so far. But I will let the result speak for itself in the end of July. I have taken Kaplan course and both Kaplan and Manhattan private tutoring in the past. Although Kaplan and Manhattan does seem to have the high score guarantee as well, but they never said if they mean for the practice exam or the actual exam. But Knewton guarantees 50 point increase from the official exam. Otherwise, you can get money back. Of course, you have to follow the syllabus and do all the pretest, retest and practice problems, (this could be a lot). Their material is very close to the real thing and I can see shadow of OG in it too. My instructor is awesome and I like his sense of humor. Since I only took their diagnosetic test, I don't really know how their score algorithem works compare to others. But the score I got from their diagnosetic exam is the exact same score I got from my last official exam which is 660. I am kind of excited and looking forward to see if I will get 710 or maybe higher by the end of July when the class ends. I will keep you guys posted.

Eileen - you are a godsend!
Will preserve your words on Knewton in stone for this thread: gmat-prep-courses-classes-reviews-ratings-and-comparison-78451.html

By the way, what did you think about Kaplan? What were their issues? What were the strenghts? Would you recommend their course?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
bb wrote:
eileen1017 wrote:

Eileen - you are a godsend!
Will preserve your words on Knewton in stone for this thread: gmat-prep-courses-classes-reviews-ratings-and-comparison-78451.html

By the way, what did you think about Kaplan? What were their issues? What were the strenghts? Would you recommend their course?

Thanks for your comments bb.
Kaplan does have extensive online materials once you sign up for their course. However, their classroom contents are all cramed to the short 9 week session. If you are a fast learner and already have a great fundamental knowledge of GMAT and the concept, then this course is for you. But for a person like me, this style just does not fit. I took the private tutoring too. I think Kaplan private tutoring fits me more since my weak problem is verbal, I don't really need anything on math. But the verbal portion in the classroom course is just to general to fit in my need. My instructor for private tutoring from Kaplan is nice and professional. (He can answer majority of my questions about verbal. He will give me some complimentary hours if he feels that I needed.) Kaplan does allow you to try out for a tutor before you have to make a commitment.

My intrstructor for private tutoring from Manhattan is very knowledgable. She can answer almost all my questions about verbal. Their teaching is based on official guide. However, Manhattan does not allow you to try out for a tutor. The price tag for their private tutor is rather expensive. I only had two hours with them. I believe if I can afford more hours with them, Manhattan should be a good choice too.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 332 [0]
Send PM
whether knewton allows u to ask questions clarified . any on line support . like e-mail based question answering system .

am curious to know how are they going to teach RC . Rc is one of the biggest troubling part of the test that too under timed conditons and on screen .

I have seen i am better in solving RC questions without time limit . Accuracy is more than 90% . Under timed conditions accuracy sucks very badly .
Director
Director
Send PM
vcbabu wrote:
whether knewton allows u to ask questions clarified . any on line support . like e-mail based question answering system .

am curious to know how are they going to teach RC . Rc is one of the biggest troubling part of the test that too under timed conditons and on screen .

I have seen i am better in solving RC questions without time limit . Accuracy is more than 90% . Under timed conditions accuracy sucks very badly .

I believe the teachers do have "office hours," but I haven't used them yet. If you have a question during a live class, you can ask a TA and they'll answer it for you.

I'll have more information after my first class on Thursday. As for their CATs, the questions did seem representative of the real exam, but I didn't receive enough difficult questions and I thought the scoring was awkward. For example, I missed 2 quant questions (not near each other) and received a scaled score of 46. To emphasize the lack of difficulty, I finished the quant section in only 60 minutes. Customer support said they would have someone look into my test results, but I haven't heard anything from them yet.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Avernusaur wrote:
vcbabu wrote:

I believe the teachers do have "office hours," but I haven't used them yet. If you have a question during a live class, you can ask a TA and they'll answer it for you.

I'll have more information after my first class on Thursday. As for their CATs, the questions did seem representative of the real exam, but I didn't receive enough difficult questions and I thought the scoring was awkward. For example, I missed 2 quant questions (not near each other) and received a scaled score of 46. To emphasize the lack of difficulty, I finished the quant section in only 60 minutes. Customer support said they would have someone look into my test results, but I haven't heard anything from them yet.

Yeah. Knewton does have office hours. Office hour is usually on Saturday and this is optional. I have attended one office hour session last Saturday. During this session, you can ask any question that is within Knewton's material or anyother outside material. If you ever have any question, you can send the question through email and they will answer in a timely fashion usually on the next day. One of the RC question I asked and the TA send me almost two pages of explanations. Although it is a little bit long to read, it is very helpful. At least for the Kaplan class, or Kaplan tutor, the instructor sometimes cannot even answer my questions or just take my questions and never remember to give me an answer. So far I am into the fourth session and I love all my instructors and TAs.
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
If this does not reveal too much, which locations are the two of you attending?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
bb wrote:
If this does not reveal too much, which locations are the two of you attending?

I believe Knewton does not have classroom course yet. All the classes for now is done online through adobe connect.
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
eileen1017 wrote:

I believe Knewton does not have classroom course yet. All the classes for now is done online through adobe connect.

Thanks - missed that. Probably would have helped if I read the subject line: "Knewton Online Course Review" :oops:
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9