Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 09:01

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Knewton online course. Review.

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Director
Director
User avatar
Status: Badgerine!
Joined: 04 Oct 2008
Posts: 894
Location: United States (CA)
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.3
WE: Project Management (Aerospace and Defense)
Followers: 61

Kudos [?]: 263 [0], given: 86

Reviews Badge
Knewton online course. Review. [#permalink] New post 06 Apr 2009, 19:01
3
This post was
BOOKMARKED
I'm starting the Knewton course on June 29th. I'll be sure to share my experiences, but we'll let the results speak for themselves. Hopefully it really takes me from 700 to 750+ :)


Edit: For other Knewton Reviews, please see the Knewton Reviews here





For review of other GMAT Test Prep Classes and Courses, please see this thread:
gmat-prep-courses-classes-reviews-ratings-and-comparison-78451.html

For special deals and for dedicated Knewton discussion, see: knewton-live-online-gmat-course-85519-20.html

-
_________________

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership


Last edited by bb on 05 Apr 2012, 12:17, edited 9 times in total.
Split into a separate topic
Knewton GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 28 Mar 2009
Posts: 31
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 0

Re: All GMAT CAT Practice Tests - links, prices, reviews [#permalink] New post 07 Apr 2009, 21:36
Avernusaur wrote:
I'm starting the Knewton course on June 29th. I'll be sure to share my experiences, but we'll let the results speak for themselves. Hopefully it really takes me from 700 to 750+ :)


why are you waiting till then? have you paid for it? have you tried it? initial thoughts?
Director
Director
User avatar
Status: Badgerine!
Joined: 04 Oct 2008
Posts: 894
Location: United States (CA)
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.3
WE: Project Management (Aerospace and Defense)
Followers: 61

Kudos [?]: 263 [0], given: 86

Reviews Badge
Knewton online course. Review. [#permalink] New post 08 Apr 2009, 12:50
mousymouse wrote:
Avernusaur wrote:
I'm starting the Knewton course on June 29th. I'll be sure to share my experiences, but we'll let the results speak for themselves. Hopefully it really takes me from 700 to 750+ :)


why are you waiting till then? have you paid for it? have you tried it? initial thoughts?


I paid for the course on the last day of March Madness 50% off pricing. I originally signed up for the April 14th class, but I'm way too busy at work to study for a retake right now. June 29th was the only 8-week section available.

I haven't used any of their materials yet, but I'm anxious to try it out. It looks really impressive.
_________________

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership


Last edited by timetrader on 05 May 2009, 12:38, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 28 Mar 2009
Posts: 31
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 0

Re: All GMAT CAT Practice Tests - links, prices, reviews [#permalink] New post 08 Apr 2009, 13:02
ahhh i see. Have you tried anything at all though ?
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 08 Mar 2009
Posts: 193
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

Re: All GMAT CAT Practice Tests - links, prices, reviews [#permalink] New post 09 Apr 2009, 05:29
Knewton is a new provider,..I am not familiar with them...
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 28 Mar 2009
Posts: 31
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 16 [2] , given: 0

Re: All GMAT CAT Practice Tests - links, prices, reviews [#permalink] New post 09 Apr 2009, 10:36
2
This post received
KUDOS
spgny wrote:
Knewton is a new provider,..I am not familiar with them...


your right they are fairly new to the scene but have a lot of backing and an excellent concept. I think they started sometime last year.


Essentially the concept is as follows;

The former executive of Kaplan (GMAT SCORE 800) along with some of their and other companies brightest and best GMAT instructors formed KNEWTON.
At the core of Knewtons appeal is its adaptive individual profiling and prescribing materials and contents individualised to your needs.
They offer 45+ live classes fully interactive. more than 300+ previous recorded classes and concept videos. More than 3200 practice items. everything is covered and you have access to instructors as well as assistants for help.
How is it majorily different?
Well you do their GMAT CAT and your account is already given a baseline score. However the system has also already analysed that and built an individualised plan with tests, videos, texts etc. As you keep progressing and practicing and studying it continually keeps analysing, adapting and changing the prescribed materials based on your weaknesses. Its smart studying not harder studying.
The system is very precise and not generalised. It picks up on the lowest level concepts and mistakes and prescribing materials to aid you. It recognises for example that your weak with 30 degress triangles ( as opposed to simply triangles/geometry etc) or bad at subjunctives or your most common mistakes etc and keeps prescribing adapting and changing as you do to help you learn better what you need to learn.

Now compare that to a book? Its a lot simpler and much more smarter and time effective.


Sign up try it and see what u think, the trial is free and whilst ur at it attend the live class as well.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 08 Mar 2009
Posts: 193
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

Re: All GMAT CAT Practice Tests - links, prices, reviews [#permalink] New post 09 Apr 2009, 12:48
mousymouse wrote:
spgny wrote:
Knewton is a new provider,..I am not familiar with them...


your right they are fairly new to the scene but have a lot of backing and an excellent concept. I think they started sometime last year.


Essentially the concept is as follows;

The former executive of Kaplan (GMAT SCORE 800) along with some of their and other companies brightest and best GMAT instructors formed KNEWTON.
At the core of Knewtons appeal is its adaptive individual profiling and prescribing materials and contents individualised to your needs.
They offer 45+ live classes fully interactive. more than 300+ previous recorded classes and concept videos. More than 3200 practice items. everything is covered and you have access to instructors as well as assistants for help.
How is it majorily different?
Well you do their GMAT CAT and your account is already given a baseline score. However the system has also already analysed that and built an individualised plan with tests, videos, texts etc. As you keep progressing and practicing and studying it continually keeps analysing, adapting and changing the prescribed materials based on your weaknesses. Its smart studying not harder studying.
The system is very precise and not generalised. It picks up on the lowest level concepts and mistakes and prescribing materials to aid you. It recognises for example that your weak with 30 degress triangles ( as opposed to simply triangles/geometry etc) or bad at subjunctives or your most common mistakes etc and keeps prescribing adapting and changing as you do to help you learn better what you need to learn.

Now compare that to a book? Its a lot simpler and much more smarter and time effective.


Sign up try it and see what u think, the trial is free and whilst ur at it attend the live class as well.



Sounds interesting..adaptive teaching according to your weaknesses...admit it is appealing to me, because I think it is human nature to avoid that which causes pain,...I am going to check out the site...
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 28 Mar 2009
Posts: 31
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 0

Re: All GMAT CAT Practice Tests - links, prices, reviews [#permalink] New post 09 Apr 2009, 13:52
do so spgny and try everything out on ur free trial and see what you think. do their gmat first and then go from there.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 13 Jan 2009
Posts: 173
Schools: Harvard Business School, Stanford
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 9

Re: All GMAT CAT Practice Tests - links, prices, reviews [#permalink] New post 23 Apr 2009, 04:10
The Knewton courses look good. Make sure to share your experience with others! Good luck!
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
User avatar
Status: Badgerine!
Joined: 04 Oct 2008
Posts: 894
Location: United States (CA)
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.3
WE: Project Management (Aerospace and Defense)
Followers: 61

Kudos [?]: 263 [1] , given: 86

Reviews Badge
Re: Knewton online course. Review. [#permalink] New post 13 May 2009, 13:50
1
This post received
KUDOS
My course section has been replaced with a Tues/Thurs from June 4th - July 23rd.

I'm currently spending my spare time reviewing the fundamentals of both Quant and Verbal, so I can be prepared for my diagnostic exam. It's been 6 months since I took my first official GMAT, so I'm a little bit rusty.

I will try to provide detailed and meaningful feedback along the way, so feel free to ask questions :)
_________________

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Expert Post
Founder
Founder
User avatar
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
Joined: 04 Dec 2002
Posts: 12337
Location: United States (WA)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2323

Kudos [?]: 9410 [0], given: 3697

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Knewton online course. Review. [#permalink] New post 13 May 2009, 14:07
Expert's post
This will be very helpful!
There is not really much info about Knewton.
Kudos
_________________

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 06 Mar 2006
Posts: 497
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 80 [0], given: 1

Re: Knewton online course. Review. [#permalink] New post 17 May 2009, 19:57
I have already started their course. I am in today for the second session. I love it so far. But I will let the result speak for itself in the end of July. I have taken Kaplan course and both Kaplan and Manhattan private tutoring in the past. Although Kaplan and Manhattan does seem to have the high score guarantee as well, but they never said if they mean for the practice exam or the actual exam. But Knewton guarantees 50 point increase from the official exam. Otherwise, you can get money back. Of course, you have to follow the syllabus and do all the pretest, retest and practice problems, (this could be a lot). Their material is very close to the real thing and I can see shadow of OG in it too. My instructor is awesome and I like his sense of humor. Since I only took their diagnosetic test, I don't really know how their score algorithem works compare to others. But the score I got from their diagnosetic exam is the exact same score I got from my last official exam which is 660. I am kind of excited and looking forward to see if I will get 710 or maybe higher by the end of July when the class ends. I will keep you guys posted.
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
User avatar
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
Joined: 04 Dec 2002
Posts: 12337
Location: United States (WA)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2323

Kudos [?]: 9410 [0], given: 3697

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Knewton online course. Review. [#permalink] New post 17 May 2009, 20:43
Expert's post
eileen1017 wrote:
I have already started their course. I am in today for the second session. I love it so far. But I will let the result speak for itself in the end of July. I have taken Kaplan course and both Kaplan and Manhattan private tutoring in the past. Although Kaplan and Manhattan does seem to have the high score guarantee as well, but they never said if they mean for the practice exam or the actual exam. But Knewton guarantees 50 point increase from the official exam. Otherwise, you can get money back. Of course, you have to follow the syllabus and do all the pretest, retest and practice problems, (this could be a lot). Their material is very close to the real thing and I can see shadow of OG in it too. My instructor is awesome and I like his sense of humor. Since I only took their diagnosetic test, I don't really know how their score algorithem works compare to others. But the score I got from their diagnosetic exam is the exact same score I got from my last official exam which is 660. I am kind of excited and looking forward to see if I will get 710 or maybe higher by the end of July when the class ends. I will keep you guys posted.



Eileen - you are a godsend!
Will preserve your words on Knewton in stone for this thread: gmat-prep-courses-classes-reviews-ratings-and-comparison-78451.html

By the way, what did you think about Kaplan? What were their issues? What were the strenghts? Would you recommend their course?
_________________

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 06 Mar 2006
Posts: 497
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 80 [0], given: 1

Re: Knewton online course. Review. [#permalink] New post 18 May 2009, 06:44
bb wrote:
eileen1017 wrote:
I have already started their course. I am in today for the second session. I love it so far. But I will let the result speak for itself in the end of July. I have taken Kaplan course and both Kaplan and Manhattan private tutoring in the past. Although Kaplan and Manhattan does seem to have the high score guarantee as well, but they never said if they mean for the practice exam or the actual exam. But Knewton guarantees 50 point increase from the official exam. Otherwise, you can get money back. Of course, you have to follow the syllabus and do all the pretest, retest and practice problems, (this could be a lot). Their material is very close to the real thing and I can see shadow of OG in it too. My instructor is awesome and I like his sense of humor. Since I only took their diagnosetic test, I don't really know how their score algorithem works compare to others. But the score I got from their diagnosetic exam is the exact same score I got from my last official exam which is 660. I am kind of excited and looking forward to see if I will get 710 or maybe higher by the end of July when the class ends. I will keep you guys posted.



Eileen - you are a godsend!
Will preserve your words on Knewton in stone for this thread: gmat-prep-courses-classes-reviews-ratings-and-comparison-78451.html

By the way, what did you think about Kaplan? What were their issues? What were the strenghts? Would you recommend their course?


Thanks for your comments bb.
Kaplan does have extensive online materials once you sign up for their course. However, their classroom contents are all cramed to the short 9 week session. If you are a fast learner and already have a great fundamental knowledge of GMAT and the concept, then this course is for you. But for a person like me, this style just does not fit. I took the private tutoring too. I think Kaplan private tutoring fits me more since my weak problem is verbal, I don't really need anything on math. But the verbal portion in the classroom course is just to general to fit in my need. My instructor for private tutoring from Kaplan is nice and professional. (He can answer majority of my questions about verbal. He will give me some complimentary hours if he feels that I needed.) Kaplan does allow you to try out for a tutor before you have to make a commitment.

My intrstructor for private tutoring from Manhattan is very knowledgable. She can answer almost all my questions about verbal. Their teaching is based on official guide. However, Manhattan does not allow you to try out for a tutor. The price tag for their private tutor is rather expensive. I only had two hours with them. I believe if I can afford more hours with them, Manhattan should be a good choice too.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 04 Sep 2006
Posts: 117
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: Knewton online course. Review. [#permalink] New post 01 Jun 2009, 11:48
whether knewton allows u to ask questions clarified . any on line support . like e-mail based question answering system .

am curious to know how are they going to teach RC . Rc is one of the biggest troubling part of the test that too under timed conditons and on screen .

I have seen i am better in solving RC questions without time limit . Accuracy is more than 90% . Under timed conditions accuracy sucks very badly .
Director
Director
User avatar
Status: Badgerine!
Joined: 04 Oct 2008
Posts: 894
Location: United States (CA)
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.3
WE: Project Management (Aerospace and Defense)
Followers: 61

Kudos [?]: 263 [0], given: 86

Reviews Badge
Re: Knewton online course. Review. [#permalink] New post 02 Jun 2009, 06:35
vcbabu wrote:
whether knewton allows u to ask questions clarified . any on line support . like e-mail based question answering system .

am curious to know how are they going to teach RC . Rc is one of the biggest troubling part of the test that too under timed conditons and on screen .

I have seen i am better in solving RC questions without time limit . Accuracy is more than 90% . Under timed conditions accuracy sucks very badly .


I believe the teachers do have "office hours," but I haven't used them yet. If you have a question during a live class, you can ask a TA and they'll answer it for you.

I'll have more information after my first class on Thursday. As for their CATs, the questions did seem representative of the real exam, but I didn't receive enough difficult questions and I thought the scoring was awkward. For example, I missed 2 quant questions (not near each other) and received a scaled score of 46. To emphasize the lack of difficulty, I finished the quant section in only 60 minutes. Customer support said they would have someone look into my test results, but I haven't heard anything from them yet.
_________________

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 06 Mar 2006
Posts: 497
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 80 [0], given: 1

Re: Knewton online course. Review. [#permalink] New post 04 Jun 2009, 18:24
Avernusaur wrote:
vcbabu wrote:
whether knewton allows u to ask questions clarified . any on line support . like e-mail based question answering system .

am curious to know how are they going to teach RC . Rc is one of the biggest troubling part of the test that too under timed conditons and on screen .

I have seen i am better in solving RC questions without time limit . Accuracy is more than 90% . Under timed conditions accuracy sucks very badly .


I believe the teachers do have "office hours," but I haven't used them yet. If you have a question during a live class, you can ask a TA and they'll answer it for you.

I'll have more information after my first class on Thursday. As for their CATs, the questions did seem representative of the real exam, but I didn't receive enough difficult questions and I thought the scoring was awkward. For example, I missed 2 quant questions (not near each other) and received a scaled score of 46. To emphasize the lack of difficulty, I finished the quant section in only 60 minutes. Customer support said they would have someone look into my test results, but I haven't heard anything from them yet.


Yeah. Knewton does have office hours. Office hour is usually on Saturday and this is optional. I have attended one office hour session last Saturday. During this session, you can ask any question that is within Knewton's material or anyother outside material. If you ever have any question, you can send the question through email and they will answer in a timely fashion usually on the next day. One of the RC question I asked and the TA send me almost two pages of explanations. Although it is a little bit long to read, it is very helpful. At least for the Kaplan class, or Kaplan tutor, the instructor sometimes cannot even answer my questions or just take my questions and never remember to give me an answer. So far I am into the fourth session and I love all my instructors and TAs.
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
User avatar
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
Joined: 04 Dec 2002
Posts: 12337
Location: United States (WA)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2323

Kudos [?]: 9410 [0], given: 3697

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Knewton online course. Review. [#permalink] New post 04 Jun 2009, 21:53
Expert's post
If this does not reveal too much, which locations are the two of you attending?
_________________

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 06 Mar 2006
Posts: 497
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 80 [0], given: 1

Re: Knewton online course. Review. [#permalink] New post 05 Jun 2009, 04:56
bb wrote:
If this does not reveal too much, which locations are the two of you attending?


I believe Knewton does not have classroom course yet. All the classes for now is done online through adobe connect.
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
User avatar
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
Joined: 04 Dec 2002
Posts: 12337
Location: United States (WA)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2323

Kudos [?]: 9410 [0], given: 3697

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Knewton online course. Review. [#permalink] New post 05 Jun 2009, 09:21
Expert's post
eileen1017 wrote:

I believe Knewton does not have classroom course yet. All the classes for now is done online through adobe connect.


Thanks - missed that. Probably would have helped if I read the subject line: "Knewton Online Course Review" :oops:
_________________

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: Knewton online course. Review.   [#permalink] 05 Jun 2009, 09:21
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
27 Experts publish their posts in the topic Knewton online course. Review. Av 169 06 Apr 2009, 19:01
Experts publish their posts in the topic Starting Knewton GMAT Online Course PussInBoots 12 14 Jan 2010, 18:25
12 Experts publish their posts in the topic Knewton Live Online GMAT Course bb 178 20 Oct 2009, 00:43
online math review courses thenine 1 27 Mar 2006, 22:11
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Knewton online course. Review.

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Go to page    1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9    Next  [ 170 posts ] 



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.