Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Dec 2014, 13:42

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Knewton: Wrong scoring? pls advise

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Manager
Manager
avatar
Status: done, waiting fingerss crossed!
Joined: 01 Jul 2009
Posts: 138
Location: India
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V35
GPA: 3.8
WE: General Management (Retail)
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 364 [0], given: 13

Knewton: Wrong scoring? pls advise [#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2009, 22:42
Hi The other day i took Knewton online free gmat cat test; but only the Verbal part. I got scale 32 / 69% !!

Was very disappointed and took the verbal part again (with new log in id :-D ).

i was in better control of the exam and confident of my answering. but in end found my score was just 35 / 77%. i had only 2-3 questions which were a repeat. . . I got the low score despite the fact that i just 4 questions wrong out of 41.

my wrong answers were 7, 13, 24, & 37.

why did i still get only 35 :( can someone throw some light.

I have attached scree shot of my score sheet.

pls help. i am disappointed!

GS
Attachments

incorrect.jpg
incorrect.jpg [ 124.61 KiB | Viewed 1408 times ]


_________________

i love kudos :moped consider giving them if you like my post!!

:arrow: CRITICAL REASONING FOR BEGINNERS: notes & links to help you learn CR better. Click Below
http://gmatclub.com/forum/critical-reasoning-for-beginners-82111.html
:arrow: QUANT NOTES FOR PS & DS: notes to help you do better in Quant. Click Below
http://gmatclub.com/forum/quant-notes-for-ps-ds-82447.html
:arrow: GMAT Timing Planner: This little tool could help you plan timing strategy. Click Below
http://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-cat-timing-planner-82513.html

Knewton GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 18 Jun 2009
Posts: 361
Location: San Francisco
Schools: Duke,Oxford,IMD,INSEAD
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 63 [0], given: 15

Re: Knewton: Wrong scoring? pls advise [#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2009, 23:53
this topic should help you

knewton-online-course-review-78282-20.html

they have been other ppl talking about knewton scoring algorithm being incorrect ...
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
User avatar
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
Joined: 04 Dec 2002
Posts: 12543
Location: United States (WA)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2419

Kudos [?]: 10392 [0], given: 3779

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Knewton: Wrong scoring? pls advise [#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2009, 00:02
Expert's post
gmanjesh wrote:
this topic should help you

knewton-online-course-review-78282-20.html

they have been other ppl talking about knewton scoring algorithm being incorrect ...


In particular, the note from Knewton's CEO: knewton-online-course-review-78282.html?view-post=619574#p619574
_________________

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Director
Director
User avatar
Status: Badgerine!
Joined: 04 Oct 2008
Posts: 894
Location: United States (CA)
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.3
WE: Project Management (Aerospace and Defense)
Followers: 61

Kudos [?]: 268 [0], given: 86

Reviews Badge
Re: Knewton: Wrong scoring? pls advise [#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2009, 02:07
You're not alone. The CATs can really use some work.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Status: done, waiting fingerss crossed!
Joined: 01 Jul 2009
Posts: 138
Location: India
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V35
GPA: 3.8
WE: General Management (Retail)
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 364 [0], given: 13

Re: Knewton: Wrong scoring? pls advise [#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2009, 22:25
Avernusaur wrote:
You're not alone. The CATs can really use some work.


Hi. tx for response. but i did't really get you; what do you mean by "can really use some work"???

tx
GS
_________________

i love kudos :moped consider giving them if you like my post!!

:arrow: CRITICAL REASONING FOR BEGINNERS: notes & links to help you learn CR better. Click Below
http://gmatclub.com/forum/critical-reasoning-for-beginners-82111.html
:arrow: QUANT NOTES FOR PS & DS: notes to help you do better in Quant. Click Below
http://gmatclub.com/forum/quant-notes-for-ps-ds-82447.html
:arrow: GMAT Timing Planner: This little tool could help you plan timing strategy. Click Below
http://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-cat-timing-planner-82513.html

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 05 Jun 2009
Posts: 3
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Knewton: Wrong scoring? pls advise [#permalink] New post 30 Aug 2009, 03:47
The explanation is simple:

knewton wants your initial score
to be low so that you "improve" more than 50
points compared to a low initial score, so that
they don't have to return your money if (when)
their course doesn't really help you that much..


I am not saying that their simulation tests suck in terms of the experience of the test,
(although that may potentially also be the case), but I'd definitely ignore the scoring
and ignore their dubious "money back guarantee"
Director
Director
User avatar
Status: Badgerine!
Joined: 04 Oct 2008
Posts: 894
Location: United States (CA)
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.3
WE: Project Management (Aerospace and Defense)
Followers: 61

Kudos [?]: 268 [0], given: 86

Reviews Badge
Re: Knewton: Wrong scoring? pls advise [#permalink] New post 30 Aug 2009, 20:23
yoram80 wrote:
The explanation is simple:

knewton wants your initial score
to be low so that you "improve" more than 50
points compared to a low initial score, so that
they don't have to return your money if (when)
their course doesn't really help you that much..


I am not saying that their simulation tests suck in terms of the experience of the test,
(although that may potentially also be the case), but I'd definitely ignore the scoring
and ignore their dubious "money back guarantee"


Thanks for stating your opinion in large bold text, but as someone who has completed the course I disagree. I wondered the same thing after I took the first CAT, but they have no reason to have all of their CATs produce unreliable results. Furthermore, the 50 point guarantee is based on your first CAT OR your highest official GMAT score, so low practice CAT results do not necessarily make the 50 pt guarantee easier to offer. The difficulty and scoring of the Knewton CATs need to be improved, but the course is still a good resource for GMAT preparation.
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 05 Jul 2008
Posts: 1434
Followers: 35

Kudos [?]: 238 [0], given: 1

Re: Knewton: Wrong scoring? pls advise [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2009, 20:13
Avernusaur wrote:
yoram80 wrote:
The explanation is simple:

knewton wants your initial score
to be low so that you "improve" more than 50
points compared to a low initial score, so that
they don't have to return your money if (when)
their course doesn't really help you that much..


I am not saying that their simulation tests suck in terms of the experience of the test,
(although that may potentially also be the case), but I'd definitely ignore the scoring
and ignore their dubious "money back guarantee"


Thanks for stating your opinion in large bold text, but as someone who has completed the course I disagree. I wondered the same thing after I took the first CAT, but they have no reason to have all of their CATs produce unreliable results. Furthermore, the 50 point guarantee is based on your first CAT OR your highest official GMAT score, so low practice CAT results do not necessarily make the 50 pt guarantee easier to offer. The difficulty and scoring of the Knewton CATs need to be improved, but the course is still a good resource for GMAT preparation.


Aver,

I am glad you jumped on this and made it clear that this has no legs. I took the first CAT and got a 720 and definitely did not feel that way. How ever, they seem to have changed the policy on money back guarantee. When I joined the course, a base line score is the lowest of GMAT score and CAT score. Now if some one has a GMAT score, it becomes the baseline score and if some one does not have a GMAT score, the CAT score becomes the baseline score. If some one has both, the lowest becomes the base line score as opposed to the highest of the two
Re: Knewton: Wrong scoring? pls advise   [#permalink] 31 Aug 2009, 20:13
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
1 Experts publish their posts in the topic IR minimum scores- pls advise PSMBAPS 2 04 Sep 2013, 07:02
Experts publish their posts in the topic Thrashed in Knewton Mock exam ,1 mnth left - PLS ADVISE Bibli 5 13 Nov 2011, 08:51
Alternative Transcript- Pls advise droopy57 4 13 Jan 2009, 09:43
dilema..pls advise otten2929 1 04 Jul 2007, 11:22
LSAT?????? Pls advise. vic 3 31 Oct 2005, 22:37
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Knewton: Wrong scoring? pls advise

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: bagdbmba, WaterFlowsUp



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.