Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 17:12 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 17:12

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28569 [59]
Given Kudos: 130
Most Helpful Reply
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31868 [11]
Given Kudos: 290
Send PM
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28569 [6]
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 204 [3]
Given Kudos: 15
Send PM
Re: Knocked from the asteroid belt, an asteroid that comes close [#permalink]
Kudos
mikemcgarry wrote:
Knocked from the asteroid belt, an asteroid that comes close to Earth may be captured by Earth’s gravitational field, ultimately spiraling inward and, fully consumed during its fiery descent through the atmosphere while being a “falling star”, or is redirected at high speeds along a new trajectory.
(A) spiraling inward and, fully consumed during its fiery descent through the atmosphere while being a “falling star”, or is redirected
(B) having spiraled inward and, fully consumed when its fiery descent through the atmosphere to be a “falling star”, or is redirected
(C) having spiraled inward and being fully consumed when its fiery descent through the atmosphere as a “falling star”, or was redirected
(D) spiraling inward and, fully consumed during its fiery descent through the atmosphere to act like a “falling star”, or be redirected
(E) spiraling inward and being fully consumed during its fiery descent through the atmosphere as a “falling star”, or be redirected

For a discussion of auxiliary verb (a.k.a. helping verbs) and how they reflect verb number (i.e. singular vs. plural), as well as a full discussion of this SC question, see this post.
https://magoosh.com/gmat/2013/auxiliary- ... -the-gmat/

Mike :-)

Great question :) I chose E because:
The sentence can be boiled down to "... an asteroid... may be captured... ,or Y" --> Y needs to parallel " may be captured"
A, B, C --> not parallel
D --> parallel but the "and...or" (ignoring the words in between the 2 commas) doesn't make sense.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 70 [1]
Given Kudos: 27
Send PM
Bookmarks
mikemcgarry wrote:
Knocked from the asteroid belt, an asteroid that comes close to Earth may be captured by Earth’s gravitational field, ultimately spiraling inward and, fully consumed during its fiery descent through the atmosphere while being a “falling star”, or is redirected at high speeds along a new trajectory.
(A) spiraling inward and, fully consumed during its fiery descent through the atmosphere while being a “falling star”, or is redirected
(B) having spiraled inward and, fully consumed when its fiery descent through the atmosphere to be a “falling star”, or is redirected
(C) having spiraled inward and being fully consumed when its fiery descent through the atmosphere as a “falling star”, or was redirected
(D) spiraling inward and, fully consumed during its fiery descent through the atmosphere to act like a “falling star”, or be redirected
(E) spiraling inward and being fully consumed during its fiery descent through the atmosphere as a “falling star”, or be redirected

For a discussion of auxiliary verb (a.k.a. helping verbs) and how they reflect verb number (i.e. singular vs. plural), as well as a full discussion of this SC question, see this post.

great, thank you Mike

comma+having done modifies the preceding clause and show an action happening before the action in the main clause.

so, "having spiral" must happen before "be captured" grammatically. This situation is not logic. B and C out

"and fully consumed" in A and D has no adjective in parallelism. Moreover, "consumed" should be paralel with "spiraling" logically. A and D out.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 243 [2]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
The sentence clearly tests parallelism. The sentence has the verb 'may be captured' and at the end of the sentence too (if you read the full sentence) you need a similar and parallel verb. Hence, the choice comes down to D and E.
Option D: 'Act like' is incorrect. 'Act' is a verb and verbs cannot be compared using 'like' but using 'as'.
Hence, E is the answer.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [1]
Given Kudos: 19
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V42
GPA: 3.53
Send PM
Kudos
mikemcgarry wrote:

Mike... It's surprising how similar you look to Bruce Banner from the Avenger's series.... Just an observation..! ;)

On a more serious note, isn't it true that while using "as" as a comparator, the part of the sentence following "as" needs to have an active verb. I'm confused between options D & E for this question.
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 1180 [0]
Given Kudos: 236
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE:General Management (Transportation)
Send PM
isn't as+noun = function?

for comparison, as needs to be followed by a clause.
is the meteor playing the role of a falling star?
confused here.

I know that as can play 4 different roles:
1 - time sequence - As I was doing my laundry, Jack entered the room.
2 - presenting reasoning - Tommy can't come, as he is in the hospital.
3 - comparison - As does Jim, Kevin plays video games all day.
4 - presenting function of a noun - As a planet, the Earth rotates around the Sun.
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28569 [1]
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
mvictor wrote:
isn't as+noun = function?

for comparison, as needs to be followed by a clause.
is the meteor playing the role of a falling star?
confused here.

I know that as can play 4 different roles:
1 - time sequence - As I was doing my laundry, Jack entered the room.
2 - presenting reasoning - Tommy can't come, as he is in the hospital.
3 - comparison - As does Jim, Kevin plays video games all day.
4 - presenting function of a noun - As a planet, the Earth rotates around the Sun.

Dear mvictor,
My friend, I'm happy to respond. :-)

It's very hard to create simple rules for the word "as," as it is one of the most complicated words in English. As a preposition, it's true that the word "as" + [noun] often denotes function:
to use a shoe as a hammer
to use the equity in one's home as a means to cover medical expenses

That's a general pattern, but not a 100% rule. One exception involves the verb "to act," and the subtle connotations of "act like" vs. "act as." For more on this idiom, see:
https://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/a-tricky-g ... vs-act-as/
My second example sentence involves another tricky idiom, "means of" vs. "means to." For more, see:
https://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/gmat-sente ... -means-to/

My friend, it is impossible to arrive at GMAT SC mastery by assembling some ideal list of rules and special cases. Ultimately, you need to develop a habit of reading to attain excellence on the GMAT Verbal section. See:
https://magoosh.com/gmat/2014/how-to-imp ... bal-score/

Does all this make sense?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [1]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Although it is daunting at first sight, grammar may help solve this puzzle.

a)spiraling inward and becoming fully consumed during its fiery descent through the atmosphere while acting like a "falling star,” or becoming redirected – this is the correct choice

b) having spiraled inward and having become fully consumed during its fiery descent through the atmosphere acting as a “falling star,” or having become redirected –1. atmosphere act as falling star—wrong modification. 2. Having spiraled, and having become or having become -- incorrect parallelism.

c)spiraling inward, becoming fully consumed during its fiery descent through the atmosphere, and acting as a “falling star,” or be redirected -- spiraling inward, becoming fully consumed and acting as a “falling star,” or be redirected --- wrong parallelism

d)having spiraled inward and become fully consumed during its fiery descent through the atmosphere, acting like a “falling star,” or being redirected ---- wrong parallelism—the ‘and’ is not necessary.

e) spiraling inward and being fully consumed during its fiery descent through the atmosphere as a “falling star,” or be redirected --- [color=#0000ff]same error as in D.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Quote:
Knocked from the asteroid belt, an asteroid that comes close to Earth may be captured by Earth's gravitational field, ultimately spiraling inward and becoming fully consumed during its fiery descent through the atmosphere while acting like a "falling star,” or becoming redirected at high speeds along a new trajectory.

a)spiraling inward and becoming fully consumed during its fiery descent through the atmosphere while acting like a "falling star,” or becoming redirected
b)having spiraled inward and having become fully consumed during its fiery descent through the atmosphere acting as a “falling star,” or having become redirected
c)spiraling inward, becoming fully consumed during its fiery descent through the atmosphere, and acting as a “falling star,” or be redirected
d)having spiraled inward and become fully consumed during its fiery descent through the atmosphere, acting like a “falling star,” or being redirected
e)spiraling inward and being fully consumed during its fiery descent through the atmosphere as a “falling star,” or be redirected

In this jumble of modifiers and symmetrical parallelism, the critical factors are:

1. The first arm of the symmetry of parallelism is the entire phrase starting with the participle of verb+ing --ultimately spiraling inward and becoming fully consumed during its fiery descent through the atmosphere while acting like a "falling star,”. Therefore, on the other side of the parallelism marker -- ‘or’, it should be another present participle of verb+ing form.
On that note, 'spiraling' and 'becoming' are parallel. Be redirected as in C and E are wrong.

The phrase ‘having spiraled denotes a wrong sequence that the asteroid may be captured after having spiraled inward. This is against the intended meaning. Therefore, B and D are gone. Only A is correct with an intact parallelism
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28569 [1]
Kudos
Expert Reply
chetan2u wrote:
daagh wrote:
Quote:
Knocked from the asteroid belt, an asteroid that comes close to Earth may be captured by Earth's gravitational field, ultimately spiraling inward and becoming fully consumed during its fiery descent through the atmosphere while acting like a "falling star,” or becoming redirected at high speeds along a new trajectory.

a)spiraling inward and becoming fully consumed during its fiery descent through the atmosphere while acting like a "falling star,” or becoming redirected
b)having spiraled inward and having become fully consumed during its fiery descent through the atmosphere acting as a “falling star,” or having become redirected
c)spiraling inward, becoming fully consumed during its fiery descent through the atmosphere, and acting as a “falling star,” or be redirected
d)having spiraled inward and become fully consumed during its fiery descent through the atmosphere, acting like a “falling star,” or being redirected
e)spiraling inward and being fully consumed during its fiery descent through the atmosphere as a “falling star,” or be redirected

In this jumble of modifiers and symmetrical parallelism, the critical factors are:

1. The first arm of the symmetry of parallelism is the entire phrase starting with the participle of verb+ing --ultimately spiraling inward and becoming fully consumed during its fiery descent through the atmosphere while acting like a "falling star,”. Therefore, on the other side of the parallelism marker -- ‘or’, it should be another present participle of verb+ing form.
On that note, 'spiraling' and 'becoming' are parallel. Be redirected as in C and E are wrong.

The phrase ‘having spiraled denotes a wrong sequence that the asteroid may be captured after having spiraled inward. This is against the intended meaning. Therefore, B and D are gone. Only A is correct with an intact parallelism

Hi Daagh,
I too first thought A to be the answer at first glance...
But had to relook due to following reasons..

1) Act like vs act as..
act like is generally used with animate object and not with inanimate objects, and we are talking of inanimate objects..
A and D can be eliminated..

2) parallel issue..
spiralling, becoming and acting are parallel..
therefore spiralling inwards, becoming...., and acting is the correct form..
A,B,D and E can be eliminated..

3) Meaning issue..
All three activities spiralling inwards, becoming...., and acting are actions of the preceding clause be captured by Earth's gravitational field..
so is correctly used this way..
Again C is only left..

4) the final error is the parallelism between captured by earths atmosphere and redirected..
so C is correctly conveying parallelism in two different activities..
Knocked from the asteroid belt, an asteroid that comes close to Earth may be captured by Earth's gravitational field,ultimately spiraling inward, becoming fully consumed during its fiery descent through the atmosphere, and acting as a “falling star,”or be redirected at high speeds along a new trajectory...

SO C should be correct..

Dear chetan2u & daagh,
My two very impressive colleagues, I wanted to add my voice to this discussion. :-) As it happens, I am the author of this particular question, and it appears originally in this blog article on Auxiliary Verbs.

I think chetan2u gave a brilliant analysis of this question. In particular, he gave a good explanation of the tricky idiom "Act like" vs. "Act as", which cannot be inferred simply from the Like vs. As rule.

Let me know if there are any more questions about this SC problem. Best of luck to both of you!

RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31868 [1]
Given Kudos: 290
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
mikemcgarry wrote:
Dear chetan2u & daagh,
My two very impressive colleagues, I wanted to add my voice to this discussion. :-) As it happens, I am the author of this particular question, and it appears originally in this blog article on Auxiliary Verbs.

I think chetan2u gave a brilliant analysis of this question. In particular, he gave a good explanation of the tricky idiom "Act like" vs. "Act as", which cannot be inferred simply from the Like vs. As rule.

Let me know if there are any more questions about this SC problem. Best of luck to both of you!

Hi mikemcgarry,
A beautiful Q as usual from you, although I still differ slightly on that assumption Q :wink:
It too was a great Q with superb explanation otherwise.

And thank you for your appreciation. Appreciation from you and daagh in verbal means a lot.
Chetan
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
On second thoughts, I agree that "be captured" must parallel 'be redirected. Hence, A cannot be the answer. Between C and E, both of which use 'be directed", E is particularly weak in using "being consumed" (being here is neither part of a subject nor a passive voice verb). C maintains the list parallelism without any hitch. The preposition 'as' is used as a role player in the context.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
mikemcgarry - Beautiful article on Act Like v/s Act As.

I have two questions
1. Can Act As & Act Like both be used for living beings? I understand that for inanimate objects we always use Act As.
2. Have you also written something on the usage of As v/s Like when they are used to present a role v/s used for comparison? In both cases, I believe As/Like are followed by a noun entity, but it gives me a hard time recognizing whether the sentence intends to present a comparison or a role. For example, a sentence like - https://gmatclub.com/forum/although-the ... 82260.html
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts