Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Aug 2014, 20:59

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Knocking doors 4 help :)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
GMAT Date: 08-08-2012
GPA: 3
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 2

Knocking doors 4 help :) [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2012, 09:13
Hello, I just finished studying PS & DS (Kaplan 2012) but not practicing questions yet, but before I start practicing myself, can any expert help me in:

1. What technique to use for practicing? Mastering one section then move on to the next?
2. In Kaplan, there are methods - strategies - for how to tack PS & DS questions, how do you rate them?
3. How many questions do I have to solve in order to build a solid basement (both pace and knowledge)?

Thanks in advance pros :)

Anan J

I hated every minute of training, but I said: "Don't quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion."
Muhammad Ali

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
GMAT Pill Representative
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 18 [1] , given: 2

Re: Knocking doors 4 help :) [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2012, 14:10
This post received
KUDOS
AnanJammal wrote:
Hello, I just finished studying PS & DS (Kaplan 2012) but not practicing questions yet, but before I start practicing myself, can any expert help me in:

1. What technique to use for practicing? Mastering one section then move on to the next?
2. In Kaplan, there are methods - strategies - for how to tack PS & DS questions, how do you rate them?
3. How many questions do I have to solve in order to build a solid basement (both pace and knowledge)?

Anan J

1) I'd suggest practising each segment by itself, yes, but you don't exactly have to master a section in order to move on. Try out a few practice tests, and figure out where you are performing the worst; after that, put a whole bunch of practice into that segment, and test yourself again. Your weakest segments are typically where you can see the most improvement with any given amount of effort thrown in, and should be the optimal targets for your practice sessions.

2) Can't help you here, I'm afraid, as I've no firsthand experience with the Kaplan methods. Anyone familiar with their strategies wants to chime in here?

3) This one's hard to answer with a specific number. Some people pick the material up quicker, while some need a little more practice. Add that to the fact that everyone starts at a different point, and it's extremely difficult to say exactly how many questions you will have to solve in order to build yourself a solid foundation on which to stand. Just keep working on those weakest segments, and you should see improvement fairly quickly.

Good luck, and study hard :)

Hi, I'm DonQuixote, a former GMAT Pill student who scored 780. I'm very grateful for this score and have now joined their staff :) My account of my GMAT experience can be found here.

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Kaplan GMAT Instructor
Followers: 66

Kudos [?]: 179 [1] , given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: Knocking doors 4 help :) [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2012, 16:17
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
AnanJammal wrote:

Anan J
Hi Anan,

1) It's a good idea to focus your studies. However, you shouldn't focus your studies exclusively, as that can leave you rusty. Fortunately, CATs are a great solution to that; even if you are studying DS and nothing else, your practice test will force you to put your PS, CR, RC, and SC skills to use.

2) High! They are both great strategies. However, they are both very vague frameworks to focus your thought process and prevent careless errors. No strategy can single-handedly solve you Test-Day problems, as you need practice and content knowledge as well.

3) There is no magic number. However, on the old GMAT, top scoring test-takers averaged 100 hours of preparation. With the IR section added, the number will probably grow closer to 120.

I hope this helps!

Eli Meyer
Kaplan Teacher
http://www.kaptest.com/GMAT

Prepare with Kaplan and save $150 on a course!

Kaplan Reviews

Intern
Intern
GMAT Date: 08-08-2012
GPA: 3
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 2

Re: Knocking doors 4 help :) [#permalink] New post 08 Jul 2012, 22:39
Thanks alot guys, appreciate it!

I hated every minute of training, but I said: "Don't quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion."
Muhammad Ali

Re: Knocking doors 4 help :)   [#permalink] 08 Jul 2012, 22:39