Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 06:58 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 06:58

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Director
Director
Affiliations: Consortium (CGSM.org), NSHMBA
Own Kudos [?]: 249 [1]
Given Kudos: 113
Schools:Yale SOM Class of 2012
 Q48  V51
WE 1: Investment Banking Summer Associate (Boutique tech M&A)
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72879 [1]
Given Kudos: 18863
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 115 [1]
Given Kudos: 10
Schools:Mellon, USC, MIT, UCLA, NSCU
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Re: Knowing club members - Introduce Yourself here [#permalink]
Kudos
Hi Everyone! :wave:

I graduated from a state university with a pretty low GPA (2.8) and majored in Acct'g & Financial Analysis. I'm looking to contribute and learn as much as I can from the forum. I haven't started my review (I will when my question gets answered about which Kaplan book to buy and when my MGMAT books get here!) but I did take a diagnostic and got a 410 Q27 V20. I have very poor math skills and English isn't my first language but in spite of all of that, I need about a 700 to get into a top MBA program. I would like to matriculate 2011.

I haven't targeted any schools yet as I want to see where my GMAT score improves/settles. I'm interested in studying abroad, however since I'd like to get more of a global experience.

My question before was about which Math book to start with: Kaplan GMAT Math Foundations or Kaplan GMAT Workbook.

Hope to bump into everyone on the boards.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 518 [1]
Given Kudos: 71
Schools: Carey '16
Send PM
Kudos
iwantIN wrote:
Hi Everyone! :wave:

I graduated from a state university with a pretty low GPA (2.8) and majored in Acct'g & Financial Analysis. I'm looking to contribute and learn as much as I can from the forum. I haven't started my review (I will when my question gets answered about which Kaplan book to buy and when my MGMAT books get here!) but I did take a diagnostic and got a 410 Q27 V20. I have very poor math skills and English isn't my first language but in spite of all of that, I need about a 700 to get into a top MBA program. I would like to matriculate 2011.

I haven't targeted any schools yet as I want to see where my GMAT score improves/settles. I'm interested in studying abroad, however since I'd like to get more of a global experience.

My question before was about which Math book to start with: Kaplan GMAT Math Foundations or Kaplan GMAT Workbook.

Hope to bump into everyone on the boards.

glad you came here first. Please avoid Princeton Review (as a lot of people will tell you the same)...I pretty much dominated the Princeton Review and felt pretty confident and got a little higher than what you got. Overall, I think we're in the same boat...low GPA but still not defeated and still want to play in the bschool game. My hat is off to you for that. kudo's for you. My first recommendation (and I just purchased this book and can already tell it's going to help a lot) is the 12th edition GMAT Official Guide. I believe it will do me wonders in the future when I retake it :-D
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:CBS
Send PM
Kudos
Hey,

Just wanted to thank the owners of this forum for creating one of the best platforms for GMAT preparation, application as well as support.

I am yet another Indian IT male with Master's from a US University, bunch of extra curricular as well as community activities. Gave a diagnostic test and scored 680. Need to start preparing now. Surprisingly scored low on Quant (which I plan to work on). SC in verbal has been weak and am working towards improving it. Setting goals every week and determined to take my score to mid 700s. Thanks again.

-K
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 3046 [1]
Given Kudos: 157
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V34
Send PM
Kudos
mawarn3 wrote:
I'm Mark, I came across this forum through the wonders of google as a result of my GMAT information searching.

A bit about me- Graduated from IL State in Business Management- Entrepreneurship last May. I'm 23. Have started to job search and begin building my work experience. Since jobs have largely been tough to come by so far I have made getting the GMAT out of the way a much bigger priority.. in an effort to be starting business school before I am 30.

Unfortunately still trying to figure out what I want to do with my career. Other info- into things like Comedy, Fantasy Baseball, Chicago sports, lots of other stuff.

Hi Mark, Welcome aboard!! A year ago when I joined gmat club, I was in your shoes. Today I know almost every aspect of the gmat (my test date is 09-Aug :) ). So stay in touch, contribute to the community & you will get the benefits. Best of luck for your preparation.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Finance, Real Estate
 Q41  V36
Send PM
Kudos
Hello everyone!!
I am GMATClub forum enthusiast and I am here to see how I can help and learn how to beat the GMAT.
I am considering retaking the test.
I first took it 2 weeks ago and got a disapointing 630 (Q 41, V 36).
I am aimming for 700.
Hope this second journey is better than the first.
Bye
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Kudos
Hi Comrades!

My name is Adeel Shakir and I am from Karachi, Pakistan.

To start off with, I would like to formally introduce myself; my purpose to appear for GMAT and
ultimtate GMAT goal (in terms of score)

Work Experience
I have over 4 years work experience in the field of Investment/Asset Management (Pakistan). Currently, I am working as a Manager - Strategy & Product Development in the largest private asset management company of Pakistan (ublfundsDOTcom) Previously, I was working as an Assistant Manager/Analyst (Equity Research & Market Risk Analyst) in another leading asset management company of Pakistan (for a period of almost 2 years).

Academics
I have an MBA - Finance and BBA (4 years) programme (Bi majors: Finance & Marketing) from one of the leading business schools of Pakistan.

PURPOSE of APPEARING FOR GMAT
Albeit i am doing fairly well career wise (as i am progressing well), but i would like to pursue an international career so that i can get more exposure to international financial markets. To enter international markets, one needs to be very competitive. I have been researching extensively for universities offering high quality post experience masters in finance programme, and i only came across a couple worth considering (i.e. LBS Masters in Finance programme, and RSM Masters in Financial Management programme). Since i have significant work experience a plain MSc finance will be a waste; thus a post experience programme would be ideal in terms of practicality and job prospects. (Note: I don't want to do another MBA as i already have one; plus MBA is more a general managerial programme; and i am looking to further polish my technical skills;moreover post experience MiFinance programmes also focuses on managerial aspects of finance).

ULTIMATE GMAT GOAL
I am aiming to get somewhere between 700-730 (not anything less than 700). Since LBS MiF(in particular) and RSM's MFM programmes are quite expensive; i wouldnt be able to pursue my dream programme without some sort of scholarship; therefore, an excellent GMAT score is a must.(would also appreciate your feedback on LBS MiF and RSM MFM programme feedback)

I know thread has become a bit long so i wouldnt bore you by mentioning my Study Plan for GMAT here (that will be posted in the relevant section for your review and kind feedback).

I have heard a great deal about the kind of support and encouragement one receives on this forum so i am looking forward for your expert opinion and guidance throughout my preparation to BEAT the GMAT :)

Look forward for your replies :)

"I spit on ladyluck and write my own destiny..."
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 84 [1]
Given Kudos: 46
Send PM
Kudos
shaselai wrote:
Dawgie wrote:
Adeel, have you also considered becoming a CFA?

how long have you had your cfa?

I'm still working on it, if you interested check out AnalystForum.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
Schools:Mays (Texas A&M), McCombs (Texas), Bauer (Houston)
Send PM
Kudos
Hello all,

My name is Ben, and I found this site yesterday. I graduated in '06 with a BS Ag. Business from Sam Houston State University. I haven't done any prep for the GMAT, only answered a few sample questions for the GRE online and seemed to do pretty well. I didn't complete the entire sample test so I don't know what the potential score was. I do know that I have always excelled in verbal and lacked in the quantitative sections, so I know where my extra work will rest.

I am one of those students who didn't live up to my academic potential during college as I was a bit too preoccupied with work and my father's health (I also assisted him financially - not significantly, but some of my wages went to him). I graduated with a mid 2's GPR and know that I will need to score very well (700+) on the GMAT to have any chance of admittance.

I have thought about taking the GMAT and applying to B school a number of times, but haven't done so out of fear of failure/non-acceptance. Well I finally realized I'll never know if I'll be accepted if I don't pony up, set a date, and tackle the whole issue.

My target schools are: Texas A&M, Houston, and Texas. Number one preference is A&M as it has been a life long goal to attend school there and their student/alumni network is outstanding.

Thanks for such a great site, I'll do my best to keep you updated on my progress. I plan on choosing a testing date in the next 1-2 weeks.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72879 [1]
Given Kudos: 18863
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Ivanjames wrote:
Hello to all!

My name is Jim and I am a 41 year old analyst of real estate data living in Plano, TX. I am taking the GMAT Nov. 20th and hope to enter business school in May.

Welcome! Good luck on the GMAT - I was pretty rusty with math when I took mine and I can only imagine how it must feel a bit later on.
Not sure if you have found all the links (a task in its own) but take a look a few here:
1. Study plan suggestions: gmat-study-plan-for-gmat-novices-start-your-gmat-journey-80727.html?highlight=ml301
2. Book recommendations: top-gmat-prep-books-guides-reviews-comments-77703.html?highlight=ml306

Good luck!
BB
Retired Moderator
Send PM
Kudos
sacarriz wrote:
Hello everyone!
I'm starting this (long) road now. I found you on Google and I can't believe the amount of info you have here, so I'll do some scuba diving.
Thank you.

Hi sacarriz, welcome to gmat club. There is tons of info available here so take maximum benefit.

Best of luck & keep us posted.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Management, International Business
Schools:LSE - Harvard BS
Send PM
Kudos
Hello everybody!
I am an undergraduate student and I live in Italy. I just discovered the GMAT Club website and I wish I had discovered it before. I gave the forum a quick look and I was surprised by how useful it is. I just took my 1st GMAT two days ago with a disappointing 580 (Q44 V27) and now I look forward to improve a lot since I am aiming at Top BS so for at least 680-700.
That's a long way to go but I am determinated; I hope to learn a lot from you guys and that my experience could be useful also to others! :D
It seems I first need to improve my Verbal skills.. what are your suggestions? And in what time, in your opinion, I could achieve my target-score?
Retired Moderator
Send PM
Kudos
Smartfox wrote:
Hello everybody!
I am an undergraduate student and I live in Italy. I just discovered the GMAT Club website and I wish I had discovered it before. I gave the forum a quick look and I was surprised by how useful it is. I just took my 1st GMAT two days ago with a disappointing 580 (Q44 V27) and now I look forward to improve a lot since I am aiming at Top BS so for at least 680-700.
That's a long way to go but I am determinated; I hope to learn a lot from you guys and that my experience could be useful also to others! :D
It seems I first need to improve my Verbal skills.. what are your suggestions? And in what time, in your opinion, I could achieve my target-score?

Hi smartfox, welcome to the club! :)

I think you should go for a second attempt within 3 months, so that you may not lose your track. Check this thread for your retake
should-i-retake-gmat-thread-retaking-gmat-strategies-83339.html

Also, for polishing the verbal skills, practice is the key. Check these threads
720-q42-v47-how-to-improve-verbal-tips-50635.html
books-to-read-improve-verbal-score-and-enjoy-a-good-read-76079.html

As I mentioned earlier, 3 months is an ideal period to reach your target score.

Best of luck & keep us posted.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 110 [1]
Given Kudos: 21
Send PM
Kudos
luck :p
work hard on your gmat!!!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 92 [1]
Given Kudos: 56
Send PM
Kudos
First off, I want to get this off my chest. Everyone here is so awesome!

Okay, now that I've got that out of the way, I've been posting here for a while but never really introduced myself. My name is TwoThrones (that's what it means in Arabic anyway) and I'm from Michigan. I'm currently in Marketing, and knew I would be taking the GMAT in subsequent years. However, now that my hours have slowed down at work, now is the time for me to step up to the plate and swing a home run!

I will be taking the GMAT in April 2011 in order to do a Masters (to be honest, I'm not sure yet, maybe in Accounting or Finance) and then later on when I have more work experience get an MBA. I'm not looking to get into a top 10 Finance program, but that will change for my MBA. I thought that I might as well study hard while I have time and I'm still pretty fresh out of school to do amazing on the GMAT.

I'm not sure this will help, but I'm currently enrolled in an intensive Arabic course (not taking it because of the GMAT, but diverse languages make me a diverse candidate, currently can speak 5). We are currently focusing on grammar, and that definitely helps me freshen up on rules of grammar in the English language for SC.

Once again, you guys are awesome, and now that I'm officially studying, I would love to help everyone in the forum out but to be honest, it seems like you guys will be helping me out instead :). Thanks for reading.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 44 [1]
Given Kudos: 29
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
Send PM
Kudos
nilaybadavne wrote:
Hello,

I am Nilay C. Badavne, a R&D Engineer, working since September 2009, almost one and half year, with a very well known Taiwan based company, Asus. I graduated from IIT Bombay, India, in July 2009.

My education (till high school) was primarily in my mother-tongue, except for Maths and Science subjects. So for next few months, I would be working on my English to pull it at a satisfactory level (don't know how to find out one's satisfactory level). I am hoping I would be done with revising some basic grammar concepts and RC skills by the month of May. I have already started reading some novels (as suggested by bb in his post).

I am planning to write my GMAT in August/September 2011, and aiming for 750+. As I am just one year old in the industry, I plan to work for another two to three years before applying to any universities.

I would like to conclude with two questions:
1) Will a classroom course be helpful with the preparations? I have inquired about Princeton Review's class room courses.
2) I have been following GMAT Club from last couple of months and after looking at scores posted by members, my observation was that Verbal score will make a huge difference in your score, as compared to the Math score. How far is my speculation true?

I will be active from now on on this forum, to keep myself, and other members motivated.

Thanks!
Nilay.

Hi Nilay,

How do you feel about your English grammar skills? I am assuming that being an engineer means your math skills are pretty good.

I'll give a little snapshot of my own story. I was born in the US but raised in Asia, so my first language is Chinese, not English. While I did move back to the US for high school, I never studied the foundations (I was busy trying to fit in with my new American friends). I just read a lot of books and learned grammar by intuition. So when I was in graduate school at Columbia (studying economics and policy), a few of my professors made comments that I am a good writer, but they noticed that I have trouble with past/perfect tense and sometimes subject-verb agreements.

So for the GMAT study, I chose to do self study (because I find the classroom courses expensive - and didn't necessarily work with my busy work schedule). I found that I have no problems with Critical Reasoning or Reading Comprehension but I am IN DEEP SH*T when it comes to Sentence Correction. Per the recommendations from the gmatclub forum, I purchased the Kaplan Verbal Foundations (finished), and also the Manhattan Prep Sentence Correction (in progress). I find this combination VERY helpful. The Kaplan book really built my grammar knowledge from the ground up (I finally know what a gerund is!). Then the Manhattan Prep book (still covered some of the basics, but with even better examples) tackled the sentence correction problems.

I also suggest getting the Official Gmat Verbal Guide because it will contain lots of verbal questions. Sentence Correction becomes easier as you A) get a more solid understanding of grammar 101 and B) practice so you learn to recognize patterns and errors.

Hope this helps! Good luck studying! I am still in the midst of my studies, too. I plan to take the GMAT in May.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [1]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: General Management, Marketing
Send PM
Kudos
Hey Everyone,

My name's Brandon and I'm from Los Angeles, CA. I graduated from UCLA in 2009 and have been working in Audit for one of the Big Four accounting firms since then. I plan on sitting for the GMAT in June and applying to b-schools in the Fall of either 2012 or 2013. I'm sure my preferences will change but as of now I'm quite interested in NYU Stern, Columbia, Wharton, Anderson, and Haas. I'm glad I found this place with enough time to make use of the great advice within!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Kudos
Hello Everybody...

I am from Pune, India with 6 WE among the most common applicant pool (Indian IT Male). Planning to take GMAT by July end.

Great forum with amazing resources. Good luck to you all.

Cheers!
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  66