Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 15:35

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Knowing club members - Introduce Yourself here

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.3
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 3

Re: Knowing club members - Introduce Yourself here [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2011, 04:57
Greetings everyone,

I'm Hassan and located in Pakistan. I have a Bachelors degree in Chemical Engineering. I've worked for the past 7 years in Manufacturing and Oil & Gas production facilities. Currently working as a Risk Engineer (mainly asset integrity and insurance) and leading Business Continuity Planning for an Oil giant in the region. I'm aspiring to embark on an MBA, preferably in Risk Management / finance in the coming year.
GMAT History: I took my first shot at glory in February, 2011. Prepared for 2 months, traveled overnight for 500km, slept for 4 hours and had the audacity to show up at the test center. Having brewed the perfect recipe for a disaster, i ended up with 630. Hoping to take another go at GMAT in September, 2011.
Study routine: 5-6 hours/day 10-12 on weekends.
Aim: 700+ and Ivy
After lurking and taking massive help from users, regulars and (specially) the admins on this forum, i'm showing up to thank you guys and participate.

Regards.

When strong winds blow, some hide behind walls, others build windmills.

Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
GPA: 4

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Knowing club members - Introduce Yourself here [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2011, 03:06
Hello there. My name is Michael.

I was born and raised in New Jersey, and I am a recent college graduate from the New Jersey Institute of Technology (NJIT). Despite its reputation as an engineering school, I actually went there for Finance (long story). I have minimal work experience thus far, but I currently work as a research assistant at NJIT. Although I do not plan on going to graduate school until 2013 (or potentially later), I plan on taking the GMAT in December 2011 of this year to just get the ball rolling (it is good for 5 years after all, right?).

GMAT History: None thus far. The only thing I've done was take the first practice test from GMATPrep (no preparation whatsoever), only scoring a disappointing 560. Since this is a big disconnect from my goal (see below), I'm wondering how much room I have for improvement. I must say I do want to get this right the first time.

Study Routine: Under construction.

Goals: 780 and Harvard, Stanford, MIT, Columbia, or UPenn

Thank you and I hope that this experience will be a great one.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Real Estate
GPA: 3.4
WE: Analyst (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: Knowing club members - Introduce Yourself here [#permalink] New post 03 Aug 2011, 16:27
Hi Everyone,

My name is Darryl and just graduated from the University of Toronto this past June with a degree in Commerce and Finance. I start at a management consulting firm this September and am hoping to get a GMAT score before then. I hope to score 720+ on the GMAT and my first target school is Stanford!

Been lurking for a few days now and am finally ready to try and contribute to this community!

-dk-
Intern
Intern

Re: Knowing club members - Introduce Yourself here [#permalink] New post 07 Aug 2011, 17:17
Hey everybody, just thought I'd introduce myself; I found this forum tonight mid-panic as I took my first GMAT diagnostic test this evening!

My background is in business development, communications and strategy in the UK public sector, and I have a first degree from Oxford and then studied part-time for my MSc and PgDip whilst working full-time -- I'd like to do the EMBA as I really like that mode of study.

I'm using the Official Guide for GMAT Review at the moment and scored 'excellent' on the reading comprehension, critical reasoning and sentence correction parts of the test, so I'm not worried about those, but the maths part is an absolute disaster!

I haven't done any of this stuff in many years and it was never my forte way back when either, so I have a lot of study ahead of me!

Anyway it's great to find many people in the same situation and I hope to contribute to the forum on my quest for a decent GMAT score -- I plan on taking my first test at the end of September, so just over six weeks to go, and then if I'm not happy with my score I have another chance mapped out to retake it the month after that in order to get my MBA application in on time.

I obviously want as high a score as possible and will be concentrating like mad on my quantitative so it doesn't drag down my verbal as much as it would if I took the score right now!

Fingers crossed!

Georgina
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Accounting
GMAT 1: 630 Q40 V36
GPA: 3.3
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 7

Re: Knowing club members - Introduce Yourself here [#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2011, 09:44
Hi I'm Unforseen and I'm taking the GMAT in December.

I'm 22 years old and fresh out of undergrad with a degree in finance. I work for a large Investment Advisory firm and I've always wanted to do my GMAT and go to graduate school. My buddy convinced that now its the best time since a. We know what studying while working feels like since we wrote the CFA level I in June and b. a lot of things from school are still fresh and the longer we wait the more we don't want to study.

I still don't know where I want to go and I am for sure not going next year. I just want to have the GMAT under my belt cause I know I will be going to Grad school within the next five years. I'm aiming for a 7XX.

I've only taking the veritas prep free GMAT and scored 590. I'm self studying using the entire MGMAT package including the official guides. I'm determined to put the effort and to sacrifice weekends for that coveted 7XX score

My Extensive GMAT Journey

My GMAT Experience

Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2273

Kudos [?]: 8780 [0], given: 3666

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Knowing club members - Introduce Yourself here [#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2011, 10:16
Expert's post
Welcome guys! Great to have you and Good luck to everyone!

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 560 Q39 V28
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 24

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Knowing club members - Introduce Yourself here [#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2011, 08:33
Hello Everyone!

I have been visiting GC since quiet a sometime now. I am Ameya Pimpalgaonkar from India. I work as an SAP Consultant and have close to 5 years of work ex. I have been appearing for MBA exams since I was doing my graduation way back in 2006. However, I have never appeared for GMAT. I was trying to start the prep since last one year but it took me this day to really take it seriously and start it all over again. I am looking forward to learning from everyone out there :)

Ameya
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

Re: Knowing club members - Introduce Yourself here [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2011, 01:46
Hello Everybody!
I am a young Nepali. Yea, Nepal is a small landlocked country lies between India and China. I have completed my Master's Degree In Business Studies (MBS) in 2006 from one of the Reputed University of Nepal. My specialization is Finance. I have completed my dissertation on Mutual Fund.
After Completion of Master's Degree in Finance, I have been working as a Lecturer of Finance as well as Coordinator for MBA Program at Lord Buddha Education Foundation, Kathmandu, Nepal. Our MBA is affiliated to Sikkim Manipal University.
Based on my experience as a Finance Faculty and Coordinator of the MBA Program, I have a dream to pursue an advance degree (Master of Financial Engineering) from reputed Business School of United State.
In order to achieve my objective, I was looking for the best online forum and I got It, GMAT Club.com. So, It will be great for me if you guys can share information about MS-Finance degree and Financial Engineering Degree.

Thanks
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, International Business
GMAT Date: 10-17-2011
GPA: 3.75

Re: Knowing club members - Introduce Yourself here [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2011, 07:34
Hello guys, my name is Pamela Li and I am from China. I have registered in this website for 1 week and found many useful articles here.
I got a BS from Michigan State University, worked as a journalist for 2 years and have been working for 1 year in international trading. Like every Chinese, I have no problem with maths but verbal gives me a lot of troubles since it's not my mother language and I've been in China since my graduation. My goal is 700 and University of Minnesota is where I wanna go.
Studying with a full time job is hard. But I am still working hard and trying my best to make my dream come true.
I will take my GMAT test on October 17th, Hongkong. Wish me good luck! :) :)
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2273

Kudos [?]: 8780 [0], given: 3666

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Knowing club members - Introduce Yourself here [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2011, 08:39
Expert's post
Hey! Welcome to GMAT Club!
Cool to see Nepal and Hong Kong here!

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 4
WE: Consulting (Other)
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 23

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Knowing club members - Introduce Yourself here [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2011, 10:58
bb wrote:
Hey! Welcome to GMAT Club!
Cool to see Nepal and Hong Kong here!

Technology bb :wink:.

My GMAT Journey 540->680->730!

~ When the going gets tough, the Tough gets going!

Current Student
Affiliations: Beta Gamma Sigma - Business Honors Society, FINRA Securities Licenses, CA Insurance Licenses
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V38
GMAT 2: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.47
WE: Sales (Retail Banking)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 8

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Knowing club members - Introduce Yourself here [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2011, 14:04
I am Brandon. 24 Years old and currently in retail financial services and sales... I want to change career paths into something more like quantitative such as Corporate Finance or problem-solving such as consulting.

I got a 700 the first time I took the GMAT; however, I feel that I may be able to get an even higher score so I want to retake it, using more strategy books and CATs this time around.

As far as dream schools, I am trying to see which region would be a best fit for me. Not to mention if I should go to a regional school such as Univ of Washington/Texas A&M... or something internationally renowned such as Yale. There are many pros and cons to weigh out.

So any insight in the areas of corporate finance/consulting, school/location recommendations, or GMAT tips is completely welcomed :)

Brandon Hoffman
http://www.linkedin.com/in/bdhoffman

Management Leadership of Tomorrow (MLT) - MBA Programs Fellow
MLT LA Chapter - Board Member / Recruiting Officer
Net Impact - Professional Chapter Co-President
MBADiversity Organization - Global Fellow, CHINA

Director
Director
GPA: 3.82
WE: Account Management (Retail Banking)
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 135 [0], given: 75

Re: Knowing club members - Introduce Yourself here [#permalink] New post 11 Sep 2011, 07:31
Hello Everyone !

I am 28 years old and have been working with banking and financial services by past 5 years in India, I graduated Mechanical Engineering in 2006 with 7.1/10 CGPA from an Indian Deemed University.I took GMAT and scored 420,330 last year and going to take it again on Sep 20th,2011. Planning to hit 700 this time.

" Make more efforts "
Press Kudos if you liked my post

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 7

Re: Knowing club members - Introduce Yourself here [#permalink] New post 11 Sep 2011, 12:06
Hey everyone!

I'm Patricia. I graduated in 2010 and now work in a rotational leadership management program at a large insurance/financial services company. My goal is 700+ but ideally 720+. My top choices are Sloan, Columbia, HBS, Berkeley, possibly Stern/Yale/ or another 5th! Good GPA in college, ex.division 1 athlete, still playing competitively in the sport, etc. I am taking a diag for the gmat but I scored pretty high on LSAT (albeit a very different test) so I'm feeling pretty positive. Hoping to take the actual test around Jan 2012.

Good luck to everyone!!
Intern
Intern

Re: Knowing club members - Introduce Yourself here [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2011, 03:42
Hi,
where do i start? i love the site! okay, i'm pretty new to the site but i love what i've read so far... it's encouraging to see people extending digital hands to help one another and i think most of the topics discussed are hands on. i intend to acquire an mba from stephen ross school of business in michigan and i've written the gmat twice now (420, 590) i intend to join the 700 club very soon and possibly give advice about my experience. now, ive studied different gmat books (mcgraw hill's '09, kaplan '09, pearson '09) can't seem to get any recent books. i wonder if my score's low because i'm studying outdated books or should i just continue till i get there? i mean the gmat isn't that hard, just tricky. plus i was wondering if any members might be kind enough to mail me a more recent gmat book he/her might not be using? i'd be glad to pay for shipping/mailing cost, etc. i find studying online a little uncomfortable...hurts my eyes.
my mailing address is 'torkuma gbaa, pmb 2122 jos, plateau state, nigeria' thank you all for your time.
ps
a majority of members seem to mention the manhattan gmat prep book alot. is it really that good?
Intern
Intern

Re: Knowing club members - Introduce Yourself here [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2011, 04:09
hi,
what can i say? i love the site! ok, i'm pretty new to it but i love what i've read so far...it's encouraging to see members extending digital hands helping one another. i intend to do an mba at the stephen ross school of business in michigan and i also intend to join the 700 club. i've written the gmat twice (410, 590) i've also read a couple of books (pearson '09, kaplan '09, mcgraw hill's '09) and i'm wondering if my low scores are because of my outdated books or should i just keep on till i get there? i was also wondering if there are any members out there willing to give me a recent book? (they're a little hard to come by) i'm willing to pay for shipping/mailing etc. i'm also not one for monitor reading...it hurts my eyes. my mailing address is 'torkuma gbaa, pmb 2122 jos, plateau state, nigeria' thank you all for your time.
ps
a majority of members mention the manhattan gmat as a good prep book. is it really that good or is it just cheap advertising?
Current Student
Affiliations: Beta Gamma Sigma - Business Honors Society, FINRA Securities Licenses, CA Insurance Licenses

Re: Knowing club members - Introduce Yourself here [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2011, 08:57
torkumagbaa wrote:
Hi,
where do i start? i love the site! okay, i'm pretty new to the site but i love what i've read so far... it's encouraging to see people extending digital hands to help one another and i think most of the topics discussed are hands on. i intend to acquire an mba from stephen ross school of business in michigan and i've written the gmat twice now (420, 590) i intend to join the 700 club very soon and possibly give advice about my experience. now, ive studied different gmat books (mcgraw hill's '09, kaplan '09, pearson '09) can't seem to get any recent books. i wonder if my score's low because i'm studying outdated books or should i just continue till i get there? i mean the gmat isn't that hard, just tricky. plus i was wondering if any members might be kind enough to mail me a more recent gmat book he/her might not be using? i'd be glad to pay for shipping/mailing cost, etc. i find studying online a little uncomfortable...hurts my eyes.
my mailing address is 'torkuma gbaa, pmb 2122 jos, plateau state, nigeria' thank you all for your time.
ps
a majority of members seem to mention the manhattan gmat prep book alot. is it really that good?

I would say that the MGMAT books are pretty good, I have been reading through them recently myself. At least I have heard that "Number Properties, Sentence Correction, Reading Comp, and Word Translations" are must reads. Along with that I am reading Powerscore CR Bible and Total GMAT Math

Brandon Hoffman

Current Student

Re: Knowing club members - Introduce Yourself here [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2011, 08:59
alanshore wrote:
Hey everyone!

I'm Patricia. I graduated in 2010 and now work in a rotational leadership management program at a large insurance/financial services company. My goal is 700+ but ideally 720+. My top choices are Sloan, Columbia, HBS, Berkeley, possibly Stern/Yale/ or another 5th! Good GPA in college, ex.division 1 athlete, still playing competitively in the sport, etc. I am taking a diag for the gmat but I scored pretty high on LSAT (albeit a very different test) so I'm feeling pretty positive. Hoping to take the actual test around Jan 2012.

Good luck to everyone!!

You sound like a great candidate!! So you took the LSAT? Are you looking into doing JD/MBA programs? Or what made you decide not to pursue law school?

Brandon Hoffman

Intern
Intern

Re: Knowing club members - Introduce Yourself here [#permalink] New post 24 Sep 2011, 17:10
First of all, I would like to say that I am really glad to be a member of this club,

I have a bachelor's degree in Finance and a minor in accounting and I would like to pursue my master's degree. I would like to know every helpful tip that would help me study and pass the test. I am really grateful and thank you very much.

Sincerely,
Mo
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 7

Re: Knowing club members - Introduce Yourself here [#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2011, 09:08
Hi Everyone,

I came to this site through a friend's recommendation as she was also studying for the GMAT. She has since taken her test and in school now. I've been visiting every day for the last 2 weeks and have practiced 10-20 SC a day.

I graduated in 2008 with a BS in Business Administration. Been working full-time in the marketing department, more recently, for online projects. About to work as lead to relaunch our site. I've wanted to start studying for the GMAT since I've graduated, but it's been on and off. It's time I moved on and moved up in my career and getting an MBA will make that happen.

I want to go to one of the Top 50 schools, preferably one of the ones in Southern California, scoring something with 700, or very, very, high 600s. I am hopeful for USC. Would like UCLA, and would entertain out of state, provided my score.

I took my second diagnostic test yesterday, and did terrible. Low 400s. I realize that my quantitative is beyond terrible, I could barely do most of the problems, which brought my score down. RC and CR are my stronger assets, scoring in the "Above Average" category. I thought SC with all my practicing would be better, but it was terrible. Even if I managed to get half right on Quant, I would still be in 500s.

My goal is to be able to take my first test in late Dec/early Jan, and fit in 2 or 3 more if needed before the test change in June 2012.

I feel like I need to change my strategy or something. I work full time, have a 4 hour drive each day, in which I look through my idioms list or review quant notecards. I get home, and plan to study between 1 1/2 hours - 2 hours, especially realizing how poorly I did, EVEN with prior studying.

I am mostly working off MGMAT. I have 2 Kaplans and 11th and 12th edition of the OG.
Re: Knowing club members - Introduce Yourself here   [#permalink] 26 Sep 2011, 09:08