Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 14:47

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Knowing club members - Introduce Yourself here

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V34
GPA: 3.7
WE: Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 247

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Knowing club members - Introduce Yourself here [#permalink] New post 07 Nov 2011, 10:44
I'm not really a newbie as I have invested many hours in summer 2011 in this community, but was worth it!

I'm 25, have finished my Masters' degree in Financial management in February and am looking forward to a move to management consulting. Latter would certainly add value to my current 3 years of full-time work experience as Project- and Business development Manager at a medium sized Bulgarian company. I aim to start CFA in June 2012 as well.

After another 2-3 years of WE (no matter if consulting or another position) I hope to be able to apply for the top MBA programs. So it is rather natural that spent many hours in this amazing community. The first step will be the GMAT (Spring 2012) and then I will most probably be more active in the Business School forums ;) Hopefully! But let's see how things develope with GMAT - it will be tough, but I do everything needed to achieve a score above 730 :)

Wish you all the best and luck with exams/applications!

Thank you very much for reading this post till the end! Kudos?

Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT Date: 03-10-2012
GPA: 3
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 50

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Knowing club members - Introduce Yourself here [#permalink] New post 08 Nov 2011, 07:51
Hi,

I have bought the iPhone App and so I landed here :wink: I am new to GMAT.
Engineer from Germany, Graduation in 2007. Now 4 y work experience in automotive. Employer is paying and supporting MBA. Selected MBA programs in UK with min GMAT Score of 600. So my goal is 600.

Will take my first attempt on GMAT on 05.Decembre 2011 (so in approx 4 Weeks).
First prep test I had 350points w/o preperation. :?

Unfortunately my preperation time is limited. I took a prep. class in Switzerland (Weekend Course) to get familiar with this test :roll:
Will prepare myself everyday for approx 2h/day. Hope this is enough.
Intern
Intern
GPA: 3

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Knowing club members - Introduce Yourself here [#permalink] New post 09 Nov 2011, 20:13
Hi all,
I am a Latin American Civil Engineer graduated in 2007, I am 25, I have just decided to start my journey to a Master in the business field, I am not applying in the short term because I am saving the money for the tuition and fees, I am planning to start my studies by 2013, I am currently writing my master degree thesis and at the same time gathering the information necessary to develop a strong application. At the beginning I was doubtful about taking the GMAT or the GRE but I have just decided to go for the GMAT. I hope to get a lot of help from the experienced people in the club and to contribute in whatever I can.
My target score is 700+ on GMAT
Regards
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: LBS MIF '14 (A)
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V39

Kudos [?]: 6 [1] , given: 2

Re: Knowing club members - Introduce Yourself here [#permalink] New post 11 Nov 2011, 02:34
This post received
KUDOS
Hello,

I actually signed up to the forum last year, lurked for a while, but only recently started getting serious about GMAT.

I’m currently working in buy-side research and plan to apply to master in finance program next year. Got 4 years WE, and finger-crossed those will get approved for CFA. :-D I’m not looking to change field and the master degree is to help in my moving up to fund management and to regional/global level. It’ll also be a 1-year break from working, which I eagerly look forward to :P

Anyway, took my first GMAT yesterday and scored 710 (Q49,V37) with almost no preparation. The result is better than I expected and I suspect being unstressed helped a lot. I’ll probably retake again in March, this time with preparation. At the moment I’m trying to schedule my study plan and research which test prep materials would be the best. Any input will be much welcome :)

Good luck to everyone,

Sunny
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Knowing club members - Introduce Yourself here [#permalink] New post 13 Nov 2011, 02:08
Hello,

I would actually have to re-introduce myself. As you can see, I had originally signed up in 2005, and ended up taking the GMAT around Dec 05. I got a 730 (Q50 and V38). I was sorely disappointed in my GMAT score, as I was consistently scoring in the 750+ range around that time, and got screwed in my Critical Reasoning questions. It was a decent score, but I ended up not doing my MBA due to personal and professional reasons. I have made a successful switch from IT to Business, and I am now planning to take the GMAT all over again. It is going to be interesting, as I have forgotten everything, and I am going to prepare for the GMAT 6 years later. I was an active contributor then, and I plan to be an even more active contributor now. Will second time be the charm? Let's see.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Knowing club members - Introduce Yourself here [#permalink] New post 14 Nov 2011, 10:05
Hi everybody,

I just joined the forum today, found out through a friend. I'm a production planner in an electronics manufacturing company, and looking to apply for a MSA program. I've never taken the GMAT before and just started studying this week, so I'm here to read up on other people's experiences and hopefully pick up some advice to help me take the test.

Best of luck to all candidates!
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Knowing club members - Introduce Yourself here [#permalink] New post 22 Nov 2011, 04:09
Hey Guys

Decided to take GMAT 2 days back and looking for a prepration time of 4-5 weeks before that so effectively means that I should be scheduling exam appointment in the first week of next year.

Havent started on my application either and specifically targeting one school so should be just in time for round three by start of February. However need to give my best for GMAT before that and take things from there.

I am a working professional so 2-3 hours per day is the most I can devote.

Looking around for pointers to resources and prepration methods.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: Knowing club members - Introduce Yourself here [#permalink] New post 24 Nov 2011, 07:40
Hi... planning on giving my gmat in feb 2012.... anyone else looking around that time frame?...
Intern
Intern

Re: Knowing club members - Introduce Yourself here [#permalink] New post 26 Nov 2011, 21:31
Hi everybody,

I have joined this forum today.
Well, I am a software engineer, however, along with job its very difficult to make myself prepared for GMAT.
Recently I started with couple of books by Kaplan.

Please suggest, whether it is feasible to do it with job?
and what is the best time for GMAT exam, I mean, which slot (month) would be better.

Many Thanks
Rema
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: Knowing club members - Introduce Yourself here [#permalink] New post 29 Nov 2011, 05:03
Hi... Im planning on giving my gmat in feb for the march deadline for LBS...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 57 [0], given: 31

Re: Knowing club members - Introduce Yourself here [#permalink] New post 01 Dec 2011, 07:45
Hi all,

I've actually been posting on here on and off a little bit already. I am looking to apply to B School in R1 of the upcoming admissions year. Would like to begin school in the fall of 2013. Goal is to continue consulting work after grad, but with more focus on overall corporate strategy. I completed MGMAT's 9 week in-person live class on November 9th and I am currently working on self-study, but I am not where I hoped I'd be scoring at this point. Taking the exam December 22nd.

Education:

- BA in Business Admin in 2008 from a "top 50" liberal arts school (Rhodes College). My GPA was anything but impressive there as I graduated with a 2.97 cumulative.

- MS in Accounting and Information Management from The University of Texas at Dallas - graduated with a 4.0 GPA and was a member of the Beta Alpha Psi Accounting Honor Society. I'm in hopes that my GPA in grad school shows that my undergrad GPA is not a reflection of my true capabilities.

Work Experience:

- Internal Audit Internship at Southwest Airlines - 6 months
- Public Accounting and Advisory Services Firm - Worked on business development, various small audits, and a large long-term consulting engagement with the US Coast Guard - 11 months
- Management Consultant with IBM Global Business Services - Working on business transformation engagements with public sector clients - 17 months

Will have 44 months of WE when I submit my apps and around 55 months when I matriculate.

Really hoping to score high enough on the GMAT (730+) so that ADCOMs will feel that with my WE, GMAT, and Grad grades, I have compensated for my poor undergrad performance.
Intern
Intern

Re: Knowing club members - Introduce Yourself here [#permalink] New post 01 Dec 2011, 20:43
Hi, new here, just registered actually

Graduated with a BA in economics and sociology in 2010, planning on taking the gmat before it changes in June, hopefully I can gain a lot of tips from the users on this forum.

I haven't picked up a book since and feel out of place, and will probably need a lot of help on this, I have the Official Guide 12th edition and trying out the diagnostics and I can't remember how to interpret many of these questions and feel like I am just playing a guessing game, any tips would help.

I am also planning on picking up the Manhattan gmat books, any insight on how I should approach these challenges that await me would be helpful.

Thanks and looking forward to reading many of threads and meeting everyone.
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2219

Kudos [?]: 8178 [0], given: 3641

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Knowing club members - Introduce Yourself here [#permalink] New post 01 Dec 2011, 20:56
Expert's post
stev3 wrote:
Hi, new here, just registered actually

Graduated with a BA in economics and sociology in 2010, planning on taking the gmat before it changes in June, hopefully I can gain a lot of tips from the users on this forum.

I haven't picked up a book since and feel out of place, and will probably need a lot of help on this, I have the Official Guide 12th edition and trying out the diagnostics and I can't remember how to interpret many of these questions and feel like I am just playing a guessing game, any tips would help.

I am also planning on picking up the Manhattan gmat books, any insight on how I should approach these challenges that await me would be helpful.

Thanks and looking forward to reading many of threads and meeting everyone.

Welcome to the GMAT Club!
You may want to start here if you have not discovered it yet: gmat-study-plan-for-gmat-novices-start-your-gmat-journey-80727.html

As to the studying, you should pick it up quite fast since you are just out of college - your mind should be fresh, distractions few, and money little, which all tend to contribute to a good score :)

I'd recommend finishing the diagnostic or taking a practice test and heading down the path. Don't take too long to take the GMAT.

P.S. You may want to pick up a book on the MBA application process such as the MBA Game Plan by VeritasPrep to get some ideas about the overall process, commitments, and time frame.

Good Luck!

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Re: Knowing club members - Introduce Yourself here [#permalink] New post 01 Dec 2011, 21:27
Thank you bb for the guidance, my original plan is to take it in March, but may have to push it back to April.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 5

Re: Knowing club members - Introduce Yourself here [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2011, 13:22
Hello,

I am new on this forum but I went through it many times! I found out that this is the best website ever made for helping people to attain the highest GMAT score.

I am Belgian and French (dual nationality), I am 22 and I just got my diploma at Maastricht University. I did a BSc in International Business Economics. My goal is to attain +700 at the GMAT. However I have a question concerning the GMAT. You are all taking the GMAT in order to get into one of the best b-school in the US but for a MBA while I need the GMAT for a MSc in Finance. So my question is: why is there not a Msc section? And why don't you take the european b-schools into account?

Thank you for your help!

Martin
Expert Post
Founder
Founder

Re: Knowing club members - Introduce Yourself here [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2011, 13:29
Expert's post
martindc wrote:
Hello,

I am new on this forum but I went through it many times! I found out that this is the best website ever made for helping people to attain the highest GMAT score.

I am Belgian and French (dual nationality), I am 22 and I just got my diploma at Maastricht University. I did a BSc in International Business Economics. My goal is to attain +700 at the GMAT. However I have a question concerning the GMAT. You are all taking the GMAT in order to get into one of the best b-school in the US but for a MBA while I need the GMAT for a MSc in Finance. So my question is: why is there not a Msc section? And why don't you take the european b-schools into account?

Thank you for your help!

Martin

Welcome!

Here is the Masters of Science section: masters-of-science-programs-ms-148/

We do take the European schools into account :)
Here is the forum for that: the-b-school-application-canada-south-america-asia-australia-and-europe-106/

now a question to you - why do you use the Veritas Logo as your Avatar?

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator

Intern
Intern

Re: Knowing club members - Introduce Yourself here [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2011, 13:35
bb wrote:

Welcome!

Here is the Masters of Science section: *****

We do take the European schools into account :)
Here is the forum for that: ****

now a question to you - why do you use the Veritas Logo as your Avatar?

Thank you for your answers !

Concerning the question about my avatar, I do not know. I chose this picture because I am using the Veritas Prep books but if you asked me that, it certainly means that I can't do that ? I will find something else then. Sorry
Expert Post
Founder
Founder

Re: Knowing club members - Introduce Yourself here [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2011, 20:28
Expert's post
martindc wrote:

Concerning the question about my avatar, I do not know. I chose this picture because I am using the Veritas Prep books but if you asked me that, it certainly means that I can't do that ? I will find something else then. Sorry

Actually - no idea if you can/can't use that. We have not had an issue with it. It may be a bit confusing as people may think you are a Veritas Prep consultant or instructor :)

Did not mean to distance you, however :)

Founder of GMAT Club

Intern
Intern

Re: Knowing club members - Introduce Yourself here [#permalink] New post 06 Dec 2011, 02:28
bb wrote:
martindc wrote:

Actually - no idea if you can/can't use that. We have not had an issue with it. It may be a bit confusing as people may think you are a Veritas Prep consultant or instructor :)

Did not mean to distance you, however :)

Okay okay :-D I think it's better if I remove it!
Current Student
Concentration: Finance
Schools: University of Rochester (Simon) - Class of 2014

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 5

Re: Knowing club members - Introduce Yourself here [#permalink] New post 07 Dec 2011, 08:52
Hi everybody,

I've been looking for months for a forum like this! I'm glad I found such an active forum. I'm 24, wokring at Citigroup and also attending Simon School for PMBA. I'm mainly here to get my questions answered, and at the same, provide insight to those in need.

Thanks!
Omar

Equities Analyst Middle Office- Citigroup
MBA - Finance
University of Rochester - Simon School of Business (2013)

Re: Knowing club members - Introduce Yourself here   [#permalink] 07 Dec 2011, 08:52