Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Apr 2014, 05:28

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Knowing club members - Introduce Yourself here

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, International Business
GPA: 3.6
WE: Accounting (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 2

Re: Knowing club members - Introduce Yourself here [#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2011, 14:27
hi there,
I'm new to this forum but i've been lurking around here for so long reading everyone's posts the past few months.
I've decided to start preparing for the GMAT. I'm qualified to take the EMBA but it's so expensive that I'd rather take the long route.

I'm here to ask for guidance - steps I need to take before buying all the books.

Hope you guys understand. :)

Siena
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT Date: 12-03-2011
GPA: 2.96
WE: General Management (Other)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Knowing club members - Introduce Yourself here [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2011, 06:50
Hello Everyone

I came to GMATclub through a recommendation on my twitter. Started looking at the forums and started realizing how beneficial this could be for me

I graduated just recently in June 2011 with a BA in Business Administration, focus in Management at California State University, San Bernardino. I've been working full time as a business manager of a small commercial restaurant appliance repair business for the past 2 years, and will make 3 in September. After things broke off with my ex-girlfriend and I towards the end of my last school year, the GMAT came into mind as I knew I wanted to do more with my education. I've signed up for Manhattan GMAT personal tutoring with one of my professors at CSUSB, which I start tomorrow so I am pretty excited.

I know that I will be aiming high and may dissapoint myself, but the way I look at it, it can't hurt to try. I have been looking at Foster's program at UW and am familiar to the Seattle area. I'm ready to get out of Palm Springs, CA, and Washington is a solid #1 choice for me. My GPA isn't the greatest; I went to 4 universities and did the fraternity thing but started getting serious about my school work my junior and senior year. I held a 3.5 GPA at CSUSB (with a 2 hour roundtrip commute and working 8 hours a day and 6 hours of class per day). Unfortunately, due to my time that I wasn't really serious at my other schools, my cumulative is only 2.96.

I took my first diagnostic test in June on MGMAT, and scored a 550. I scored both a 33 in quant and 33 in verbal. I realize that my quantitative isn't that great, but part of my problem is I need to brush up on my old math. The verbal, I believe that once I get used to the strategies and practice more I can do much better. My biggest problem I believe is fulfilling my potential. I've always had it, but I usually always choose the lazy way out. The GMAT and more importantly, the preperation for the GMAT I am looking to expose my utmost potential.

I am planning on taking the GMAT on December 3rd, and fit in a few more if needed before the test change in June 2012. I suppose I am looking for around a 650 first time up; Aiming high, however I think with my motivation it's possible to do. A second test I would look to break the 700's.

Since I am starting my private tutoring on Thursday through my old professor who teaches via Manhattan, I have all of the Manhattan study guides.

Wish me luck, and hope to be a good part of the forum.
Current Student
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
WE: Corporate Finance (Other)
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 87 [0], given: 16

GMAT Tests User
Re: Knowing club members - Introduce Yourself here [#permalink] New post 02 Oct 2011, 08:36
Hello folks

I've been using the site intermittently for a month or so, just saw this post and thought of introducing myself :)

I've done my Bachelors in Electronics and Telecommunication from Mumbai, India in 2007 and have since been working in an IT company in India. I've worked in the UK for an year as well (hope this proves useful somewhere down the line). I decided to appear for the GMAT last year end when I felt I needed a change from the routine work I've been doing since the past few years.
So, here I am, preparing for the tough feat to do my best - hope to get a good score (preferably in the latter 700s). I'll be appearing in November so got nearly a month and a half to prepare. I guess that's all for the moment, will keep sharing things as and when they come up.

Till then, all the best folks!

Sudish

MBA Candidate 2015 | Georgetown University
McDonough School of Business

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Marketing, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 650 Q V

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 6

Re: Knowing club members - Introduce Yourself here [#permalink] New post 04 Oct 2011, 11:28
Hey Guys,
With the all the rave reviews i`ve been reading from people here about the gmatclub,it feels good to be at a place that is widely accepted as this !
I intend on giving the GMAT this year,mostly in the second week of December.
Background has been in Civil Engg.,so there`s been quite a bit of number crunching done in the past.
I seriously wish to break in to the 700+ bracket.

Here`s my Plan for the coming two months :
<Kindly tweak this if need be for better strategies to be incorporated>

1)Firstly Verbal : around 24-25 days (Starting Today)
2)Second of all dealing with Quant : around 24-25 days same as verbal.
3)With studies going parallely,i hope to do some extensive reading and writing work to build on my verbal skills.
4)At the end of the study period,i hope to go through all the problems that i faced while preparing and give it a quick revision.
5)For the remaining 10-20 days only Paper practice.

Am using OG 12 for my preparation.
If there is any thing else,i should bear in my mind while preparing kindly let me know.
Also,since am not taking any sort of Classes or coaching for GMAT,am doing it all by myself,so need to check myself on where am going wrong.
Also,where could i get more free tests from to get more practice ?
Intern
Intern
GPA: 3.4

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Knowing club members - Introduce Yourself here [#permalink] New post 04 Oct 2011, 18:38
Hey folks,

I'm new here too! I've been lurking for a little bit but felt I would go ahead and sign up! I went to UCLA and am currently prepping for the GMAT in December!
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 1985

Kudos [?]: 6422 [0], given: 3565

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Knowing club members - Introduce Yourself here [#permalink] New post 04 Oct 2011, 19:20
Expert's post
Welcome SimonPhase!
Good luck on the GMAT!

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Hello I'm newbie [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2011, 00:08
Hello Everybody,

I am newbie here from London, Uk. I find your community is very interesting and useful so i joined. Thanks you very much for allowing me to stay here.

Regards,
Martin
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
WE 1: Business Development
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 161

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Hello I'm newbie [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2011, 06:56
We are all happy to have you. Welcome aboard.
Intern
Intern
GMAT Date: 12-07-2011
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Re: Knowing club members - Introduce Yourself here [#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2011, 06:14
Hello everyone...

I am from Bangladesh, have completed MBA from university of Dhaka major in Marketing. I really want to study in Canada. My target is 650+. I am studying Kaplan and OG. Hopefully I will sit for GMAT at the end of December.

GMAT Club helps me a lot by providing recent information. Thanks to Gmat club.
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: Q V
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: Knowing club members - Introduce Yourself here [#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2011, 17:59
Hello everyone,

My background is in mechanical engineering and I hail from Canada! (eh...!). I plan on taking the GMAT sometime next year, but I've already begun studying and lurking around on multiple forums. GMAT Club just happened to come up in a google search and I'm so thankful for finding this website because there are a ton of resources, answers and people who are able to help in every fashion. Kudos you guys!
Intern
Intern

Re: Knowing club members - Introduce Yourself here [#permalink] New post 16 Oct 2011, 17:54
Hey guys, new member here looking to take my first test Dec 16th, I am already considering pushing it back and trying to properly utilize all the tools available here. My background is in Marketing/Management and International Business, Quant is where I am hoping to see growth.

Right now my study materials are:

GMAC Quant and GMAC Verbal 2nd Editions
McGraw Hill's Conquering GMAT MAth
Princeton Review Verbal Workout

After reading a few threads here I just went ahead and purchased

OG 10 for 29 cents!
OG 12
and the MGMAT set of 8 strategy Guides.

My plan starting tomorrow is to study for 4 hours a day in 2, 2 hour parts focusing on a different section each day. However I don't know if 8 weeks will be enough to get a 650+ score.
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 570 Q32 V36

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 23

Reviews Badge
Re: Knowing club members - Introduce Yourself here [#permalink] New post 17 Oct 2011, 01:52
Hi guys,

I stumbled upon this forum, and it has been an invaluable resource to me thus far.

My background is probably quite unconventional. I was a chef for about 3 years, and recently finished my bachelor degree in hospitality management. As most people I meet think that I am some kind of fancy waiter, I think that scoring high on the GMAT is absolutely essential, shall I be accepted for a Msc. in business administration program. My ambition is to be accepted for a French Grand Ecole Program (EM Lyon, HEC, SKEMA etc.) Rotterdam School of Management, or Otto Beisheim School of Management.

As I did not have math since I was 17 years old, I had forgotten almost everything, and started almost completely from scratch. Concepts such as quadratic equations and permutations were completely unknown to me. Heck, I did not even really know what a prime number was. I spent the first few weeks of preperation doing the MGMAT book, and Cliffsnotes Maths for Standardized tests. On my first attempt on the GMATprep, I scored 550 (after app. 2 months of studying) I want to score over 700, so I still have a distance to go.

Thanks to all the guys who contribute to this forum.

Regards
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
Schools: Broad (S)
GPA: 3.1
WE: Project Management (Non-Profit and Government)

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 36

Re: Knowing club members - Introduce Yourself here [#permalink] New post 24 Oct 2011, 17:40
Hello,

My background is in civil engineering with an environmental concentration. Worked for an environmental consulting firm briefly, then the federal government as a PM. Left the workforce 8 years ago to raise the kids. Started a home business (S-corp) and kept that going for 5 years doing database and website designs/programming. Closed the business 2 years ago to focus on the kids. Long story.

Now this is my time.

Because of my location and schedule, my choice of school is limited. I'd love to get into the part-time MBA @ Michigan State because it is closer, however I am not working full-time and that is one of the suggested requirements. I'd hate to get a MBA from a so-so school but what choice do I have?

I took the GMATPrep and scored 510. That was before I read any of the books or reviewed anything. Now that I know I don't have to solve every math problem, I should be good. SC is a weak spot.

My goal is a minimum of 650, good enough to beat my husband. He has already stated that the GMAT was harder back then (11 years ago) which is why so many people get 700s now. Puh-lease. He graduated from Carnegie Mellon with an MBA in 2003.

I hope to take the GMAT in February. Maybe sooner depending on how the holidays go.

I am following the 60-day study guide provided by "Beat the GMAT" and using OG for GMAT, 12th edition, Kaplan's GMAT Premier w/CD*, Manhattan's RC and SC (per club reviews). Any other suggestions?

*Kaplan's CD does not work with Win7. I have to pop the disk in each time as if I were installing it, but it finally gets me there.

Wish me luck!

Kelly

Give Me Kudos if you like my post!

GMAT Pill Instructor
Followers: 256

Kudos [?]: 553 [0], given: 5

Re: Knowing club members - Introduce Yourself here [#permalink] New post 24 Oct 2011, 17:48
Expert's post
galaxyblue wrote:
Hello,

My background is in civil engineering with an environmental concentration. Worked for an environmental consulting firm briefly, then the federal government as a PM. Left the workforce 8 years ago to raise the kids. Started a home business (S-corp) and kept that going for 5 years doing database and website designs/programming. Closed the business 2 years ago to focus on the kids. Long story.

Now this is my time.

Because of my location and schedule, my choice of school is limited. I'd love to get into the part-time MBA @ Michigan State because it is closer, however I am not working full-time and that is one of the suggested requirements. I'd hate to get a MBA from a so-so school but what choice do I have?

I took the GMATPrep and scored 510. That was before I read any of the books or reviewed anything. Now that I know I don't have to solve every math problem, I should be good. SC is a weak spot.

My goal is a minimum of 650, good enough to beat my husband. He has already stated that the GMAT was harder back then (11 years ago) which is why so many people get 700s now. Puh-lease. He graduated from Carnegie Mellon with an MBA in 2003.

I hope to take the GMAT in February. Maybe sooner depending on how the holidays go.

I am following the 60-day study guide provided by "Beat the GMAT" and using OG for GMAT, 12th edition, Kaplan's GMAT Premier w/CD*, Manhattan's RC and SC (per club reviews). Any other suggestions?

*Kaplan's CD does not work with Win7. I have to pop the disk in each time as if I were installing it, but it finally gets me there.

Wish me luck!

Welcome! Well, the good news about SC is once you understand the booby traps you can actually beat the system there. It's a lot easier to improve SC than it is to improve RC - though if you give it enough time (February should give you plenty of time) then you should be in good hands by then. With a busy schedule, it'll be tough to fit in consistent study schedules. Budget time every night to learn something new but at the same time review mistakes you made the previous day. Then budget your entire weekends towards sprint-like study sessions.

Remember, this exam is as much about GMAT psychology as it is about concepts.

Enjoy!

... and more

Image What's Inside GMAT Pill?

Zeke Lee, GMAT Pill Study Method (Study Less. Score More.)

GMAT Pill Reviews | GMAT PILL Free Practice Test

Intern
Intern

Re: Knowing club members - Introduce Yourself here [#permalink] New post 26 Oct 2011, 11:04
Just signed up for the club. I am considering writing my GMAT within the next 6 months. I am in my late 30's and have been in the energy marketing/trading business for over 10 years. However, I am looking for a change in my career path. The MBA will help me with that for sure as top executives in my industry all seem to have either an MBA or CFA. I would be doing an MBA part time so it will take 3 years.
I am just curious on how much work it will be to study for the GMAT. Keep in mind that I have been out of university for 14 years, work full time and am married with a small child. I obviously dont have the time to be studying each and every day for 8 hrs. The math component will be my biggest challenge for sure. I am hoping to be ably to study for 4 months and write in March.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 1

Re: Knowing club members - Introduce Yourself here [#permalink] New post 28 Oct 2011, 00:09
been a member for a while but haven't really contributed a lot..

will be frequenting the forums a lot this month

GMAT set for 2nd of December ;)

Aim for the sky! (800 in this case)
If you like my post, please give me Kudos :)

Intern
Intern

Re: Knowing club members - Introduce Yourself here [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2011, 08:38
Joined today, will be writing the exam in 2 months. Great forum. Lots of useful stuff.

Am applying for LBS MiF and will hopefully do so in January. Am 27, MBA+CFA; 4.5 years work ex, 3 years as M&A banker at a mid mkt shop and current job of 2 years at private equity fund. Hoping to gain some international experience and take a break from work so planning to app

Bought books today and took Gmatprep (730, thanks to CAT prep 5 years ago!) am gunning for some nice scores which can help land some schols. Hope to become more active over the coming days!

cheers
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Knowing club members - Introduce Yourself here [#permalink] New post 03 Nov 2011, 19:39
Hello everyone,

I've been lurking around here for quite some time and I am ready to get started.

I have 6.5 years of investment mgmt experience. 3-years heading operations/HR in a start up. I also have a huge community development, volunteer and arts background.

Looking to focus MBA on strategy consulting (short-term) and entrepreneurship/economic development (long-term goal).

Took MGMAT class a few years ago, great instructors, but I needed something more slower paced and I missed 3 classes due to work. GMAT score under 500, but did not study or give it any real effort.

Now Im ready! Ive been reading the experiences of others and I am really inspired to give the test my all! Chicago Booth is my target school (entry: fall 2012 or fall 2013) and of course I am shooting for a score in the 90th percentile.

I just put together a 90 day study plan. I started this week. I will be starting the basics the first couple of weeks.

Week 1 - 3: building blocks
-Take GMAT prep CAT
-Veritas Math Assessment/Kaplan GMAT & GRE Math workbook
Weeks 4-8
-CAT end of each week (MGMAT CAT exams)
-Quant focus (using MGMAT quant books, Kaplan Math intensive & OG 12)
-CAT end of each week (MGMAT CAT exams/Veritas Prep CATs)
Weeks 9-12
-Verbal focus (Using MGMAT RC, SC, CR books & OG 12 ED)
-CAT at end of each week (Veritas/GMAT prep CAT)

This is my plan thus far. It may change as I continue to read through the forum. Should you have any suggestions, please feel free to comment.

Good luck to you all!

Thanks,
Chan
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V34
GPA: 3.7
WE: Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 242

GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: Knowing club members - Introduce Yourself here [#permalink] New post 07 Nov 2011, 10:44
I'm not really a newbie as I have invested many hours in summer 2011 in this community, but was worth it!

I'm 25, have finished my Masters' degree in Financial management in February and am looking forward to a move to management consulting. Latter would certainly add value to my current 3 years of full-time work experience as Project- and Business development Manager at a medium sized Bulgarian company. I aim to start CFA in June 2012 as well.

After another 2-3 years of WE (no matter if consulting or another position) I hope to be able to apply for the top MBA programs. So it is rather natural that spent many hours in this amazing community. The first step will be the GMAT (Spring 2012) and then I will most probably be more active in the Business School forums ;) Hopefully! But let's see how things develope with GMAT - it will be tough, but I do everything needed to achieve a score above 730 :)

Wish you all the best and luck with exams/applications!

Thank you very much for reading this post till the end! Kudos?

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT Date: 03-10-2012
GPA: 3

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 50

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Knowing club members - Introduce Yourself here [#permalink] New post 08 Nov 2011, 07:51
Hi,

I have bought the iPhone App and so I landed here :wink: I am new to GMAT.
Engineer from Germany, Graduation in 2007. Now 4 y work experience in automotive. Employer is paying and supporting MBA. Selected MBA programs in UK with min GMAT Score of 600. So my goal is 600.

Will take my first attempt on GMAT on 05.Decembre 2011 (so in approx 4 Weeks).
First prep test I had 350points w/o preperation. :?

Unfortunately my preperation time is limited. I took a prep. class in Switzerland (Weekend Course) to get familiar with this test :roll:
Will prepare myself everyday for approx 2h/day. Hope this is enough.
Re: Knowing club members - Introduce Yourself here   [#permalink] 08 Nov 2011, 07:51