Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Aug 2014, 01:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Knowledge of the winter behaviour of emperor penguins has

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Knowledge of the winter behaviour of emperor penguins has [#permalink] New post 25 Nov 2012, 10:01
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

89% (02:07) correct 11% (01:03) wrong based on 76 sessions
Knowledge of the winter behaviour of emperor penguins has been gained slowly because of high winds, temperatures around minus 60 degrees Fahrenheit, the fact of round-the-clock darkness and frequently sudden blizzards make the Antarctic habitats of the emperors dangerous places for humans in winter.

A. of high winds, temperatures around minus 60 degrees Fahrenheit, the fact of round-the-clock darkness and frequently sudden blizzards make
B. of high winds, temperatures around minus 60 degrees Fahrenheit, round-the-clock darkness, with frequently sudden blizzards, make
C. high winds, temperatures around minus 60 degrees Fahrenheit, round-the-clock darkness, and frequent sudden blizzards make
D. high winds, temperatures around minus 60 degrees Fahrenheit, the fact of round-the-clock darkness, with frequent sudden blizzards, making
E. high winds, temperatures around minus 60 degrees Fahrenheit, round-the-clock darkness, and frequent sudden blizzards making
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 67 [1] , given: 12

Re: Knowledge of the winter behaviour of emperor penguins has [#permalink] New post 02 Dec 2012, 00:03
This post received
KUDOS
Knowledge of the winter behaviour of emperor penguins has been gained slowly because of high winds, temperatures around minus 60 degrees Fahrenheit, the fact of round-the-clock darkness and frequently sudden blizzards make the Antarctic habitats of the emperors dangerous places for humans in winter.

A. of high winds, temperatures around minus 60 degrees Fahrenheit, the fact of round-the-clock darkness and frequently sudden blizzards make
B. of high winds, temperatures around minus 60 degrees Fahrenheit, round-the-clock darkness, with frequently sudden blizzards, make
C. high winds, temperatures around minus 60 degrees Fahrenheit, round-the-clock darkness, and frequent sudden blizzards make
D. high winds, temperatures around minus 60 degrees Fahrenheit, the fact of round-the-clock darkness, with frequent sudden blizzards, making
E. high winds, temperatures around minus 60 degrees Fahrenheit, round-the-clock darkness, and frequent sudden blizzards making

This is a list question. Knowledge of winter penguins has gained slowly because of X,Y and Z make blah blah. C wins
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 570 Q46 V23
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 2.9
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 9 [1] , given: 23

Re: Knowledge of the winter behaviour of emperor penguins has [#permalink] New post 18 Oct 2013, 10:09
This post received
KUDOS
jlgdr wrote:
tinashine20 wrote:

How can C be correct? Because of....make?
Doesn't make much sense to me.
Could someone please elaborate on this? I picked D cause transitive verb making had more sense.

Please let me know, will you?
Cheers
J:)

Kudos rain!

Hi,

C is right here because uses a list of reasons followed by verb "make" which is the right structure.

In D , the list of reasons is followed by a verbal starting with "making" which makes the part after "because" a fragment.

Help with Kudos if I add to your knowledge realm.

Manager
Manager
Schools: Jones '15

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 5

Re: Knowledge of the winter behaviour [#permalink] New post 25 Nov 2012, 10:25

A. of high winds, temperatures around minus 60 degrees Fahrenheit, the fact of round-the-clock darkness and frequently sudden blizzards makeof repeated twice
B. of high winds, temperatures around minus 60 degrees Fahrenheit, round-the-clock darkness, with frequently sudden blizzards, makeof repeated twice
C. high winds, temperatures around minus 60 degrees Fahrenheit, round-the-clock darkness, and frequent sudden blizzards makeCorrect
D. high winds, temperatures around minus 60 degrees Fahrenheit, the fact of round-the-clock darkness, with frequent sudden blizzards, makinglist of items - needs and rather than with
E. high winds, temperatures around minus 60 degrees Fahrenheit, round-the-clock darkness, and frequent sudden blizzards makingmaking is incorrect - needs a working verb
Intern
Intern
GPA: 3.65

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 52

Re: Knowledge of the winter behaviour [#permalink] New post 01 Dec 2012, 23:55
nanishora wrote:

A. of high winds, temperatures around minus 60 degrees Fahrenheit, the fact of round-the-clock darkness and frequently sudden blizzards makeof repeated twice
B. of high winds, temperatures around minus 60 degrees Fahrenheit, round-the-clock darkness, with frequently sudden blizzards, makeof repeated twice
C. high winds, temperatures around minus 60 degrees Fahrenheit, round-the-clock darkness, and frequent sudden blizzards makeCorrect
D. high winds, temperatures around minus 60 degrees Fahrenheit, the fact of round-the-clock darkness, with frequent sudden blizzards, makinglist of items - needs and rather than with
E. high winds, temperatures around minus 60 degrees Fahrenheit, round-the-clock darkness, and frequent sudden blizzards makingmaking is incorrect - needs a working verb

I have selected B option,,, In my opinion C has comma before ''And'',,,,,,,,,so I rejected it,,,,Plz correct me if I'm wrong,,, :?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 6

GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: Knowledge of the winter behaviour of emperor penguins has [#permalink] New post 02 Dec 2012, 06:13
tinashine20 wrote:

First of all the original question has a minor error because the "of" before the underlines portion has been excluded. I believe it should be part of the underlined portion.

So the corrected version should look like,

E. high winds, temperatures around minus 60 degrees Fahrenheit, round-the-clock darkness, and frequent sudden blizzards makin

The opening statement states that the "Knowledge of X has been gained slowly because of high winds, blah blah blah". So you mean to say that the knowledge has been gained slowly BECAUSE of high winds? This doesn't even make sense. The knowledge has been gained slowly because some factors make it hard for humans to stay in that region.

Therefore, A & B are out

No need to use the -ing verb form, we dont need to imply any progressive action. Moreover D states, "X,Y, the fact of Z" which is a parallelism error so D is out.
E has no parallelism issue but uses "making" vs "make" so that's out too.

In conclusion, if you eliminate the middlemen the correct sentence will look like this,

The knowledge of X has been gained slowly because A, B, C and D, make the habitats dangerous places for humans - A, B, C and D need to be parallel and follow the same form.

C fixes all the issues.
SVP
SVP
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
WE: Corporate Finance (Investment Banking)
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 152 [0], given: 254

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Knowledge of the winter behaviour of emperor penguins has [#permalink] New post 18 Oct 2013, 09:29
tinashine20 wrote:

How can C be correct? Because of....make?
Doesn't make much sense to me.
Could someone please elaborate on this? I picked D cause transitive verb making had more sense.

Please let me know, will you?
Cheers
J:)

Kudos rain!
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

CAT Tests
Re: Knowledge of the winter behaviour of emperor penguins has [#permalink] New post 25 Feb 2014, 16:56
Hmm. Picked E and still confused why it's C.

"Because of...make" is weird to me. Making sounded better to me.

...When I'm sick I just stop being sick...and be Awesome instead...True Story...

BSchool Forum Moderator
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
GMAT 3: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 2.9
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 78

Kudos [?]: 363 [0], given: 318

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Knowledge of the winter behaviour of emperor penguins has [#permalink] New post 25 Feb 2014, 19:45
Shouldn't make be preceded by a which in C?
I somehow think E is correct.

ISB Class of 2016 | Chat Session with ISB ADCOM | How to get started with Essays | GMAT Retake Debrief
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
ISB Class of 2015 | My GMAT Debrief | My ISB Interview | General interview tips | How to tackle "Do you have anything to ask" question | Important links by the ISB ADCOM for applications and interview preparation

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 132

GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: Knowledge of the winter behaviour of emperor penguins has [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2014, 06:21
Lets see
every one is confused with C and E

I'll remove the fluff and re read the sentence

C.) the knowledge [....] has been gained slowly because of x , y and z make...
C could be correct if it said because x, y, and z make
E.) the knowledge [.... ] has been gained slowly because of x, y and z making

becasue of x, y and z is complete we don't need a verb make instead we need a participial phrase making. Hence E is correct
SVP
SVP
Concentration: Finance
WE: Corporate Finance (Investment Banking)
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 152 [0], given: 254

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Knowledge of the winter behaviour of emperor penguins has [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2014, 13:49
b2bt wrote:
Lets see

becasue of x, y and z is complete we don't need a verb make instead we need a participial phrase making. Hence E is correct

I followed the same logic here as my buddy b2bt, but still people still sayin that answer is C

Could any experts please elaborate here

Cheers!
J
Intern
Intern
GPA: 3.3
WE: Other (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 31

Re: Knowledge of the winter behaviour of emperor penguins has [#permalink] New post 28 May 2014, 01:55
Hey Thr!

I think we are missing out on the basic point!

The question has "of" underlined, and thus its "because A,B,C, and D, make" not "because of A,B,C, and D, making".. :)

TC!
-Piyush

jlgdr wrote:
b2bt wrote:
Lets see

I followed the same logic here as my buddy b2bt, but still people still sayin that answer is C

Could any experts please elaborate here

Cheers!
J

GMAT - I'm gonna eat you whole ..!! ;)

Re: Knowledge of the winter behaviour of emperor penguins has   [#permalink] 28 May 2014, 01:55