Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 31 Aug 2014, 00:32

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Known today by a name they would not have

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 122 [0], given: 18

GMAT Tests User
Known today by a name they would not have [#permalink] New post 14 May 2012, 12:15
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

64% (02:13) correct 36% (01:09) wrong based on 88 sessions
Known today by a name they would not have recognized-Anasazi, Navajo for “ancient enemies”-the ancestors of the modern Zuni and Hopi built and then, for reasons still mysterious, abandoned the complex roads and structures of the domain they ruled a millennium ago in the American southwest.

A. ancestors of the modern Zuni and Hopi built and then, for reasons still mysterious, abandoned the complex roads and structures of the domain they ruled a millennium ago in the American southwest
B. reasons are still mysterious why the ancestors of the modern Zuni and Hopi built and then abandoned the complex roads and structures of the domain they ruled in the American southwest a millennium ago
C. modern Zuni and Hopi had ancestors who, a millennium ago, ruled a domain in the American southwest where they built and then abandoned complex roads and structures for still mysterious reasons
D. domain of the American southwest was ruled a millennium ago by the ancestors of the modern Zuni and Hopi, who built and then, for reasons still mysterious, abandoned complex roads and structures
E. complex roads and structures of the domain that the ancestors of the modern Zuni and Hopi ruled a millennium ago in the American southwest were built and then, for reasons still mysterious, abandoned

"For reasons still mysterious" seems weeird to me. How does it make sense?
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Project Management Professional (PMP)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: GWD # 22 V2 [#permalink] New post 17 May 2012, 03:52
eybrj2 wrote:
Known today by a name they would not have recognized-Anasazi, Navajo for “ancient enemies”-the ancestors of the modern Zuni and Hopi built and then, for reasons still mysterious, abandoned the complex roads and structures of the domain they ruled a millennium ago in the American southwest.

A. ancestors of the modern Zuni and Hopi built and then, for reasons still mysterious, abandoned the complex roads and structures of the domain they ruled a millennium ago in the American southwest
B. reasons are still mysterious why the ancestors of the modern Zuni and Hopi built and then abandoned the complex roads and structures of the domain they ruled in the American southwest a millennium ago
C. modern Zuni and Hopi had ancestors who, a millennium ago, ruled a domain in the American southwest where they built and then abandoned complex roads and structures for still mysterious reasons
D. domain of the American southwest was ruled a millennium ago by the ancestors of the modern Zuni and Hopi, who built and then, for reasons still mysterious, abandoned complex roads and structures
E. complex roads and structures of the domain that the ancestors of the modern Zuni and Hopi ruled a millennium ago in the American southwest were built and then, for reasons still mysterious, abandoned

Who is known today by a name Anasazi , who ruled and then abandoned a domain? (definitely human being Isn't it)
ancestors? (could be)
Reasons ? (nonsensical)
modern Zuni and Hopi? (could be)
domain of the American southwest? (nonsensical)
complex roads and structures ? (nonsensical)

A and C

C) modern Zuni and Hopi had ancestors who, a millennium ago, ruled a domain in the American southwest where they built and then abandoned complex roads and structures for still mysterious reason

they does not have a clear referent because two plural nouns precede "they" - "modern Zuni and Hopi" and "ancestors"

Hence choose A

Best
Vaibhav

If you found my contribution helpful, please click the +1 Kudos button on the left, Thanks

Manager
Manager
Schools: Mccombs business school, Mays business school, Rotman Business School,
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 18

Re: GWD # 22 V2 [#permalink] New post 03 Jun 2012, 22:51
eybrj2 wrote:

i pick A. the non-underlined part of the sentence i.e. "Known today by a name they would not have recognized-Anasazi, Navajo for “ancient enemies" is incorrectly modified reasons, domain and complex roads, so B, D and E are out. C is just simply awkward to me because intended meaning is not clear. please correct me if I am wrong

some people are successful, because they have been fortunate enough and some people earn success, because they have been determined.....

please press kudos if you like my post.... i am begging for kudos...lol

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 650 Q47 V33
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V35
WE: Analyst (Other)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Known today by a name they would not have [#permalink] New post 14 Aug 2014, 04:07
Can someone explain whether C - "still mysterious reasons" is grammatically correct?

It sounds pretty awkward.
Re: Known today by a name they would not have   [#permalink] 14 Aug 2014, 04:07