Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 18:05

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

KRoll background check

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: KRoll background check [#permalink] New post 25 Dec 2010, 19:21
I read through this entire thread on Kroll, and still have a few questions that havent been addressed:

a) Do b-schools initiate the background checks soon after I pay the enrollment fee, or do they do it at once for all students from all rounds during the summer? I am a Rd 1 admit, and was wondering if I need to wait a few months or if I can finish this off in Jan itself after paying down the enrollement fee?

b) When Kroll calls up the recommenders, is it merely to verify the recommender's existence, our relationship, how long we have known each other, and other easily identifiable facts? Or, will Kroll dig into my work accomplishments stated on my resume? For ex, if i wrote on my resume that I led the development of process x and achieved y and raised revenue by approximately z, will Kroll ask my recommender to confirm the accuracy of that statement? Although my recommender was my supervisor, he may not necessarily be able to confirm that statement... how much revenue I helped increase was not a very clear-cut number, and I sort of had to make my best guess at it.
Current Student
Schools: Ross (R2), Cornell (R3) , UNC (R3) , INSEAD (R1 Jan)
WE 1: Advisory (2 yrs)
WE 2: FP & Analysis (2 yrs at matriculation)
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 86 [0], given: 45

Re: KRoll background check [#permalink] New post 26 Dec 2010, 15:53
AndrewFlintoff wrote:
I read through this entire thread on Kroll, and still have a few questions that havent been addressed:

a) Do b-schools initiate the background checks soon after I pay the enrollment fee, or do they do it at once for all students from all rounds during the summer? I am a Rd 1 admit, and was wondering if I need to wait a few months or if I can finish this off in Jan itself after paying down the enrollement fee?

Sorry but you're going to have to wait most likely. Schools normally do b/g checks in late spring once applicants from all rounds have been admitted. In the case of Cornell for instance, background checks this year were literally a week before classes started.

AndrewFlintoff wrote:
b) When Kroll calls up the recommenders, is it merely to verify the recommender's existence, our relationship, how long we have known each other, and other easily identifiable facts? Or, will Kroll dig into my work accomplishments stated on my resume? For ex, if i wrote on my resume that I led the development of process x and achieved y and raised revenue by approximately z, will Kroll ask my recommender to confirm the accuracy of that statement? Although my recommender was my supervisor, he may not necessarily be able to confirm that statement... how much revenue I helped increase was not a very clear-cut number, and I sort of had to make my best guess at it.

They normally ask the recommender whether they know you, how long they've known you and in what capacity. They might ask another question or two, but all questions are normally high level and rarely pertain to specific projects.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: KRoll background check [#permalink] New post 26 Dec 2010, 18:06
ariel wrote:
AndrewFlintoff wrote:

Sorry but you're going to have to wait most likely. Schools normally do b/g checks in late spring once applicants from all rounds have been admitted. In the case of Cornell for instance, background checks this year were literally a week before classes started.

For cornell, which company do they use? Also do they call Recommendors only? I used the Recommendors from my previous company as i have only been at my current company for about 7 months and i haven't told them about my plans for Bschool. How would they verify about my current company? or can i submit pay stubs? Actually could you just explain how the process for Cornell works? I appreciate the response thanks
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 19

Re: KRoll background check [#permalink] New post 31 Dec 2010, 07:29
Hii, i went through most of the previous posts and see that almost all are employed with some company or the other. my question is how would kroll run a background check for self employed people? i mean i have been running a small investment and VC firm for the last 5 years. if they have to verify my current work they would have to call me!! i have no issues with respect to transcripts, gpa, test scores. also my recommenders are my clients (i have opted for clients after mailing the adcom) one of the recommender's has official mail (her office email) and the other a public sector employee doesnt have an official mail (though i have no issues kroll talking to them though) also my previous employer a financial services firm went out of business 5 years ago, so how would they check that? i am curious and eager to know the process for self employed types. I have a wharton interview invite.
please, somebody with a self employed background can shed some light on my queries (or anyone with some knowledge on the process)
regards and a happy new year to all of you,
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: KRoll background check [#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2011, 05:02
Guys even I would like to know about self employed people. What is the process? I am an international and an entrepreneur. What all documents will I need to submit? Do they specifically ask for tax returns etc?
Current Student
Schools: Wharton/Lauder - Class of 2013
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 9

Re: KRoll background check [#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2011, 06:15
I wouldn't worry too much about this background check. These schools invested a lot of time and effort into picking their students. I am assuming that you are innocent until proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt. Even if something comes up as inconsistent, you can always explain yourself and provide some kind of proof and you should be fine.

Just my two cents.
Manager
Manager
Schools: CBS Class of 2013
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

Re: KRoll background check [#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2011, 07:42
My CBS Kroll background check is complete

All they verified was my current employment. That's it. No recommendations.

Posted from my mobile device Image
Current Student

Re: KRoll background check [#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2011, 07:48
SaMoCU wrote:
My CBS Kroll background check is complete

All they verified was my current employment. That's it. No recommendations.

Awesome! Thanks for sharing, SaMoCU!
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 19

Re: KRoll background check [#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2011, 22:55
Awesome SaMoCU, congratulations and all the best.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 7

Re: KRoll background check [#permalink] New post 31 Jan 2011, 12:01
What if my starting and ending dates aren't exact, like maybe 3-4 weeks off??
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: KRoll background check [#permalink] New post 31 Jan 2011, 12:09
josiebella wrote:
What if my starting and ending dates aren't exact, like maybe 3-4 weeks off??

to be exact it was just off for a previous job. instead of saying i started 7/2 i said 6/4 or something. is this a big deal??? it does not change my overall working period...
Current Student
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 85 [0], given: 66

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: KRoll background check [#permalink] New post 31 Jan 2011, 12:13
Josie. Why did you put a diff date? If its a mistake no biggie but they will want to clarify either way. If it was a way to cover a gap, who knows what a scool may do. I've seen schools recind offers bc of this.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: KRoll background check [#permalink] New post 31 Jan 2011, 12:17
jordanhendrix wrote:
Josie. Why did you put a diff date? If its a mistake no biggie but they will want to clarify either way. If it was a way to cover a gap, who knows what a scool may do. I've seen schools recind offers bc of this.

honestly, i was too lazy and did not check my W2s to be exact. it is not a way to cover a gap. just the ending date of job 1 was pushed back and the starting date of job 2 was pushed up.
Current Student
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 85 [0], given: 66

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: KRoll background check [#permalink] New post 31 Jan 2011, 12:21
You may want to clear this up pre kroll via an email to adcoms. I doubt it would come up as it was a former employer but they may call over there...u never know

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: KRoll background check [#permalink] New post 31 Jan 2011, 12:21
jordanhendrix wrote:
You may want to clear this up pre kroll via an email to adcoms. I doubt it would come up as it was a former employer but they may call over there...u never know

thanks
Current Student

Re: KRoll background check [#permalink] New post 31 Jan 2011, 12:37
josiebella wrote:
jordanhendrix wrote:

honestly, i was too lazy and did not check my W2s to be exact. it is not a way to cover a gap. just the ending date of job 1 was pushed back and the starting date of job 2 was pushed up.

I'm sure a lot of people (myself included) weren't sure about their exact start and end dates. Being off by a month sounds pretty reasonable to me. I think its totally fine to just say, in case you even get asked about it, that you simply forgot to double check and put down what you could remember at the time.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: KRoll background check [#permalink] New post 31 Jan 2011, 12:41
globalcitizen wrote:

I'm sure a lot of people (myself included) weren't sure about their exact start and end dates. Being off by a month sounds pretty reasonable to me. I think its totally fine to just say, in case you even get asked about it, that you simply forgot to double check and put down what you could remember at the time.

thank you! that makes me feel a little better...lol maybe i should still give them an FYI?
Current Student

Re: KRoll background check [#permalink] New post 31 Jan 2011, 12:49
josiebella wrote:
globalcitizen wrote:

thank you! that makes me feel a little better...lol maybe i should still give them an FYI?

Sure, I don't see any harm in informing them. If its a first job out of college though, I strongly doubt they'll check that far back. Word on the street is that CBS only checks our current employer (let us know if thats actually true). But better to cover all your bases just in case (especially if you have your w-2 and can site exact dates) :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: KRoll background check [#permalink] New post 31 Jan 2011, 12:51
globalcitizen wrote:

Sure, I don't see any harm in informing them. If its a first job out of college though, I strongly doubt they'll check that far back. Word on the street is that CBS only checks our current employer (let us know if thats actually true). But better to cover all your bases just in case (especially if you have your w-2 and can site exact dates) :)

Awesome, thank you!!!
Current Student
Schools: Ross (R2), Cornell (R3) , UNC (R3) , INSEAD (R1 Jan)
WE 1: Advisory (2 yrs)
WE 2: FP & Analysis (2 yrs at matriculation)
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 86 [0], given: 45

Re: KRoll background check [#permalink] New post 31 Jan 2011, 18:35
I think they normally check your last two jobs. That being said though, if they do check it might be a problem so a heads up might be in order.
Re: KRoll background check   [#permalink] 31 Jan 2011, 18:35