Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 16:48 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 16:48

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: ACFE Member, CalCPA Member
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: General
Schools:Duke - Fuqua
 Q44  V38
WE 1: CPA & CFE with 7 years of experience
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.4
WE:Securities Sales and Trading (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: Strategy, Economics
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2014
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.4
WE:Securities Sales and Trading (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
Re: KRoll background check [#permalink]
Bookmarks
MDF wrote:
shorttheworld wrote:
so what if you have a very pure performance driven income stream -- trading for me or sales for other people -- and you may not necessarily have a salary? since i have a WIDE standard deviation in my income as a trader i went ahead and put my 'salary' (we dont have actual salary at work) as a stable number i was able to pull in year after year and what i budgeted my yearly expenses off of and then had an upward sloping 'bonus' -- becaus i thought putting a massive number for 08 when i began and then a smaller number for the past couple years would look odd haha. also if your firm has a flat structre and isnt big on titles but your experience/activiies through mentoring add up to a senior role and your supervisor gave you the 'OK' for that title (despite not having official titles), that is going to be fine as long as they can confirm that with your supervisor?

I assume that we provide a phone number/contact point at your company for Kroll to use. That could be the HR department, or if you don' t have an HR department, someone that handles that type of work at your company. You'll probably just want to make sure that that person, as well as your supervisor and your recommenders, will confirm the title and salary you put on your apps.

I haven't gone through the check yet, so this is mainly speculation. But I'm in a similar position and this is my thinking.

yeah im gonna go ahead and give my supervisors contact info so that he can go ahead and verify everything and be all happy jolly . i have a buddy who said that smoothing out P&L type positions will be fine so im sure youd be fine too -- i saw you said youre an entrepreneur so if you were killing it pre-2008 and then suffered a bit afterwards and went ahead and verage things out you wont be hurt lol
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
I have worked in consulting for several years, many times part-time and holding a second job. I was paid sometimes on a daily basis and other times as fee for service. Do schools also use the Kroll background check to find out if the applicant was employed full time? I will be clearer, on several occasions I worked in the US and abroad either as a translator, tutor or even waiter between consulting jobs. In putting together my application, could this be an issue if lets say I was not employed 40+ hours with the same company or if I spent several weeks between consultant contracts with the same firm? Thanks for helping answer these questions.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
They all do. With [url="https://www.findermind.com/free-people-search-engines/"]people search[/url] dime a dozen, they would be crazy not to. Not to mention they can't afford to admit anyone without a background check.

Hopefully, you don't have anything to hide.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V37
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
gone

Originally posted by Elena1985 on 13 Feb 2012, 11:18.
Last edited by Elena1985 on 25 Feb 2012, 00:25, edited 1 time in total.
Director
Director
Affiliations: HBS Class of 2013
Own Kudos [?]: 163 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools: HBS '13 (A)
Send PM
I'm still sticking with my opinion from previous posts--if Kroll finds anything unusual they'll call you and give you a chance to clarify. You're not going to get rejected based on a small inconsistency. Unless you made a concerted effort to deceive the adcom on your application, you don't have anything to worry about.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
does highschool come into play? does it go that far back?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I have an important question about the Kroll Verification process. My official job title according to HR records is an archaic, unused one, but retained for salary-level purposes. The job title I reported on my application form is the one that is the industry standard and is used within my team. Will this be a big issue for Kroll?

I have informed my boss and he says that it's ok, and that if asked he will mention the reason for the discrepancy.

Should I be very worried? Is this a reason for a school that has admitted me to rescind the offer? I have only one admit so far, and its for my dream school so im very anxious about this....

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Director
Director
Affiliations: HBS Class of 2013
Own Kudos [?]: 163 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools: HBS '13 (A)
Send PM
Kudos
ba78 wrote:
I have an important question about the Kroll Verification process. My official job title according to HR records is an archaic, unused one, but retained for salary-level purposes. The job title I reported on my application form is the one that is the industry standard and is used within my team. Will this be a big issue for Kroll?

I have informed my boss and he says that it's ok, and that if asked he will mention the reason for the discrepancy.

Should I be very worried? Is this a reason for a school that has admitted me to rescind the offer? I have only one admit so far, and its for my dream school so im very anxious about this....

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

As I've stated multiple times in this thread, unless you made a deliberate attempt to deceive the adcom in your essays, resume, or work experience, you don't have anything to worry about. Kroll isn't looking for a way to yank people's admissions, they just want to verify that no blatant liars slipped through the cracks. If there are any minor discrepancies (or if they can't reach a contact you listed) they'll call or email you and give you a chance to clarify. I've never heard of anyone getting unnecessarily hassled by Kroll.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Schools: Wake Forest
GMAT 1: 200 Q1 V1
Send PM
Has anyone had any experience with Re Vera for their $100-type checks? I am planning to enrol to a school that requires this. On their briefing they mentioned they are going to check extracurriculars too. Question - how are they planning to verify my current participation if the European organisation (e.g. sports team, orchestra, small charity, church, mosque etc) does not have a website?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Schools:HBS, Columbia
i didn't think they could verify extra currics... seems like a lot of work for them. which school is this for re re vera?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I have a question regarding the current employer.

Let's say that I am on a co-op term with an employer that was originally contracted to be 8 months long. I have worked it out to shorten the term to 4 months with the current employer.

Will this information be on the background check as "8 month contracted job"? If so, my next employer would probably be confused?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Anyone please help?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 670 Q45 V38
GPA: 2.64
WE:Supply Chain Management (Consumer Electronics)
Send PM
Hey guys,

I read through all the pages and didn't really see a clear answer, so hope someone can interject.

Looks like the latter half of this thread is about deception and/or being worries about how something is reported. My question stems from the credit score. If someone filed bankruptcy or had a couple charged off cards due to lay-off, etc. from years and years ago, how will this affect admissions?

Thanks.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status:schools I listed were for the evening programs, not FT
Own Kudos [?]: 55 [0]
Given Kudos: 50
GMAT 1: 640 Q43 V34
GMAT 2: 660 Q43 V38
GPA: 3.1
WE:Research (Other)
Send PM
jxatrillion wrote:
Hey guys,

I read through all the pages and didn't really see a clear answer, so hope someone can interject.

Looks like the latter half of this thread is about deception and/or being worries about how something is reported. My question stems from the credit score. If someone filed bankruptcy or had a couple charged off cards due to lay-off, etc. from years and years ago, how will this affect admissions?

Thanks.

Business schools aren't going to rescind admission for bad credit, assuming they do a credit check. Credit checks are definitely done for the loan process, whether you get GradPLUS or a private loan. At least with the former, even if your credit is bad in terms for applying for a loan, you will likely get approved for the loan anyway, so long as you didn't get into default (over 90 days late on an account), filed for bankruptcy and got discharged within the past several years, or you're behind on other federal loans. Filing for bankruptcy pretty much bars you from getting a GradPLUS loan unless you have a cosigner.

Our fellow applicants to law school will not get rejected for bad credit either (it is theoretically possible that they and MBA students too may have their full cost of attendance covered with scholarships), but bad credit and failing to attempt to pay debts will likely prevent a student from sitting for a bar exam, because a credit report is reviewed during a character assessment phase. There is none of that for most MBA's as far as I know, unless you're in a JD/MBA program or a MD/MBA program where professional licensing may require these checks in order to practice law/medicine.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Concentration: Sustainability, Strategy
GPA: 3.7
Send PM