Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 21:04 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 21:04

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [1]
Given Kudos: 347
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Finance, Operations
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V46
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72872 [0]
Given Kudos: 18859
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Re: KRoll background check [#permalink]
Expert Reply
What makes you confident that your start date will be the date of acquisition? Did your vacation/benefits reset?

It depends. I think you should be in the clear since putting 2 companies on the resume would imply a change of employment, which did not technically happen. I think this will be easily explainable should this even be brought to light unless this was an extreme situation.

You can always approach HR and ask about their reporting practice (or even better, get one of your co-workers to do that so you don't have to be dishonest if you don't want to disclose your HBS transition)

Good Luck!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
bb wrote:
What makes you confident that your start date will be the date of acquisition? Did your vacation/benefits reset?

It depends. I think you should be in the clear since putting 2 companies on the resume would imply a change of employment, which did not technically happen. I think this will be easily explainable should this even be brought to light unless this was an extreme situation.

You can always approach HR and ask about their reporting practice (or even better, get one of your co-workers to do that so you don't have to be dishonest if you don't want to disclose your HBS transition)

Good Luck!

Thanks for your reply! I don't recall any benefits changing, so I would think they'd still report my original hire date (I did just email my old company, in a very general email, asking how this is reported). And as you mentioned, my intent to only put one company was solely to avoid any confusion that I had two different jobs, so if it comes down to it I hope that explanation is acceptable. Plus, neither company is a big name (the adcoms weren't familiar with the one on my resume, so i don't think this would change their opinion of my work experience).

Thanks again. Hopefully I'm just worrying for nothing!
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72872 [0]
Given Kudos: 18859
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
Send PM
Expert Reply
mj800 wrote:
bb wrote:

Good Luck!

Thanks for your reply! I don't recall any benefits changing, so I would think they'd still report my original hire date (I did just email my old company, in a very general email, asking how this is reported). And as you mentioned, my intent to only put one company was solely to avoid any confusion that I had two different jobs, so if it comes down to it I hope that explanation is acceptable. Plus, neither company is a big name (the adcoms weren't familiar with the one on my resume, so i don't think this would change their opinion of my work experience).

I think you should be definitely in the clear - I have checked around on Linkedin and everyone I could think of who worked for a company that was acquired had a new company as the company they worked for pre-acquisition. So it is a some kind of an indicator of generally acceptable employment principles of sorts.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
bb wrote:
mj800 wrote:
bb wrote:

Good Luck!

I think you should be definitely in the clear - I have checked around on Linkedin and everyone I could think of who worked for a company that was acquired had a new company as the company they worked for pre-acquisition. So it is a some kind of an indicator of generally acceptable employment principles of sorts.

Thanks for looking that up! I'm just going to forget about it and just address it if it happens to come up.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
My employer told me that Kroll called both him and HR. They checked 2 bullets on my resume with the manager. I am not sure if my case if common, but they actually scared me because my manager does not have knowledge about every project(bullet) on my resume. I am wondering if anybody else has the similar experience.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 37
Send PM
crazyg wrote:
My employer told me that Kroll called both him and HR. They checked 2 bullets on my resume with the manager. I am not sure if my case if common, but they actually scared me because my manager does not have knowledge about every project(bullet) on my resume. I am wondering if anybody else has the similar experience.

Hi guys!!

Wanted to ask you how the process works exactly with the background check companies: when you pay them the fees: do you have some sort of login and data sheet to confirm info of contact for past employment? I think I gave the wrong number since it changed; further do you know how far back in history they check? I mean do they check the last job only, the current only, the past 2, etc etc...?
thks :)
Manager
Manager
Send PM
In my case (I just completed mine for HBS), they contacted me with the specific information they were looking for (I didn't fill out anything up front, they just started with the information the school provided them). I only had two different employers since undergrad and they checked employment information for both... I'm guessing they check all of your employers since undergrad, but i'm not sure about this (this is probably also school-dependent).
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi Mj800! Thks for the reply;) so they first tried with the info provided by you to hbs (btw impressive to get into hbs!!!congrats) and then they contacted you when they encountered some issues contacting your former employers? Thks for sharing your exp:)
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Ella2017 wrote:
Hi Mj800! Thks for the reply;) so they first tried with the info provided by you to hbs (btw impressive to get into hbs!!!congrats) and then they contacted you when they encountered some issues contacting your former employers? Thks for sharing your exp:)

Exactly.. After about a week after I started the background check they sent me an email asking for my SSN (because it was required by one of my employers to release my information). Then about a week after that they emailed me again asking for contact information for the HR person at my other employer (I guess they couldn't find it). In each case I just gave them the information they needed and they just carried on with the process. Btw, at least in my case, they didn't let me know when they had completed my check (I found out it was done when I saw that item marked "completed" in my HBS admit account).

I would just wait until they email you. I think it's fairly common for them to need additional information from you at some point during the process.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
mj800 wrote:
Ella2017 wrote:

Exactly.. After about a week after I started the background check they sent me an email asking for my SSN (because it was required by one of my employers to release my information). Then about a week after that they emailed me again asking for contact information for the HR person at my other employer (I guess they couldn't find it). In each case I just gave them the information they needed and they just carried on with the process. Btw, at least in my case, they didn't let me know when they had completed my check (I found out it was done when I saw that item marked "completed" in my HBS admit account).

I would just wait until they email you. I think it's fairly common for them to need additional information from you at some point during the process.

Thanks for the reassuring words:))
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
Kudos
Hi guys,

Would love some input from people in the know: I have 3 situations that I'm a little concerned about when it comes to background verification:

1) My supervisor left the company a few weeks after my app was due and my new supervisor is extremely hands off and we've only spent a month together. Only my previous boss and the one before him can really testify to my experience. How would Kroll handle this? I've already given HR a headsup about background verification so they have my docs updated.
2) I am hoping to quit my job in 2 months or so to spend the summer backpacking. Does anyone know when background checks are conducted? With scenario #1, I'd rather be in the vicinity in case they need to get in touch with an employer or need any verification, so I'm unsure of when to actually leave.
3) I got a huge raise after my first 2 years and my supervisor at the time told me at my perf review that I was being promoted but nothing was formalized except in pay because I was told "Titles don't matter here." since then, my supervisor has changed and we've been acquired, so I'm worried since I said I was promoted in my app, it might come across as disingenuous although it was 100% true. Should I have my prev supervisor write in a letter to HR confirming what was discussed? My responsibilites definitely changed and several managers can attest to that.

Thanks so much for all your help!
Personal MBA Coach Founder
Status:Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting from a Wharton graduate - Helping applicants get into top global business schools since 2008
Affiliations: Wharton, MIT
Own Kudos [?]: 359 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Overall Client Admit Rate: 96%
Send PM
Expert Reply
deetdeet wrote:
Hi guys,

Would love some input from people in the know: I have 3 situations that I'm a little concerned about when it comes to background verification:

1) My supervisor left the company a few weeks after my app was due and my new supervisor is extremely hands off and we've only spent a month together. Only my previous boss and the one before him can really testify to my experience. How would Kroll handle this? I've already given HR a headsup about background verification so they have my docs updated.
2) I am hoping to quit my job in 2 months or so to spend the summer backpacking. Does anyone know when background checks are conducted? With scenario #1, I'd rather be in the vicinity in case they need to get in touch with an employer or need any verification, so I'm unsure of when to actually leave.
3) I got a huge raise after my first 2 years and my supervisor at the time told me at my perf review that I was being promoted but nothing was formalized except in pay because I was told "Titles don't matter here." since then, my supervisor has changed and we've been acquired, so I'm worried since I said I was promoted in my app, it might come across as disingenuous although it was 100% true. Should I have my prev supervisor write in a letter to HR confirming what was discussed? My responsibilites definitely changed and several managers can attest to that.

Thanks for the post. Don't worry too much about these but see below...

1. It sounds like you are thinking of both letter of recommendation and background check, or at least you should be.
I assume you got a letter already from the previous boss? If so, then don't worry about Kroll. All they check is whether the facts you submitted are correct. They don't call and ask how good of a job you did at work. If you worked there, then it won't be an issue. HR should be able to verify this.

2. It is fine to quit work and do some traveling, so don't worry about this either. You can update the school with your plans once you get in.

3. This is a bit more murky. Did you list a specific title on the resume that you did not really have? Or is the title accurate? If the title is accurate, then you should be ok here as well since the comp did reflect a promotion of sorts. As far as Kroll is concerned, you want the titles, start dates, stop dates and salaries to match.

Good luck!

Best,
Scott
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
PersonalMBACoach wrote:
deetdeet wrote:
Hi guys,

1. It sounds like you are thinking of both letter of recommendation and background check, or at least you should be.
I assume you got a letter already from the previous boss? If so, then don't worry about Kroll. All they check is whether the facts you submitted are correct. They don't call and ask how good of a job you did at work. If you worked there, then it won't be an issue. HR should be able to verify this.

2. It is fine to quit work and do some traveling, so don't worry about this either. You can update the school with your plans once you get in.

3. This is a bit more murky. Did you list a specific title on the resume that you did not really have? Or is the title accurate? If the title is accurate, then you should be ok here as well since the comp did reflect a promotion of sorts. As far as Kroll is concerned, you want the titles, start dates, stop dates and salaries to match.

Good luck!

Best,
Scott

Hi Scott,

Thanks so much re 1& 2!-- HR has all my titles start and stop dates and salaries so I should be ok!

3. No, I only listed the title that my employment form reflected but I did mention that I was promoted after a year to take on more responsibility and I listed out how that changed. My title however remained the same and I made sure that's all kosher. I should be ok then right? I was just concerned if they went through each bullet point and were being particularly nitpicky.

Thanks !
Personal MBA Coach Founder
Status:Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting from a Wharton graduate - Helping applicants get into top global business schools since 2008
Affiliations: Wharton, MIT
Own Kudos [?]: 359 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Overall Client Admit Rate: 96%
Send PM
Expert Reply
deetdeet wrote:
PersonalMBACoach wrote:
deetdeet wrote:
Hi guys,

Good luck!

Best,
Scott

Hi Scott,

Thanks so much re 1& 2!-- HR has all my titles start and stop dates and salaries so I should be ok!

3. No, I only listed the title that my employment form reflected but I did mention that I was promoted after a year to take on more responsibility and I listed out how that changed. My title however remained the same and I made sure that's all kosher. I should be ok then right? I was just concerned if they went through each bullet point and were being particularly nitpicky.

Thanks !

You are most welcome. I would not worry about that, especially if the letter of recommendation supported the promotion, even if it was not a title promotion. Good luck!

Cheers,
Scott
Intern
Intern
Send PM
crazyg wrote:

Was your manager also one of your recommenders? Or did they contact someone who wasn't your recommender?

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
How do they check info if you spent time between jobs for travelling or for taking care of a sick family member?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Schools: Haas '22 (I)
Send PM
bb wrote:
mj800 wrote:
bb wrote:

Two quesitons
1) if you fail a background for whatever reason at one school, since all the top 10 use Kroll, does it mean they share information through Kroll with each other (i'm not just talking about adverse information any of your background check information, financial information)?

1a) How do they verify where you worked other than an application form, is there a database they can also pull up? What if I tell HR to not give out anything past what's required (salary dates required, in fact in NYC salary info is illegal when given my employer)

1b) If I did a Masters between my undergrad and grad, other than transcripts and date of attendance can they call the dean of my school/program and question them about me personally? From what I understand Kroll not the admissions office (ever) makes calls. Again I just rather them reach out to the contacts I give them
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16