Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Jul 2014, 03:18

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

KRoll background check

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
WE 1: Social Gaming
Followers: 63

Kudos [?]: 327 [0], given: 14

GMAT Tests User
Re: KRoll background check [#permalink] New post 25 Apr 2008, 16:05
BTW, my kroll check (for Haas) went through in ONE day. I faxed it in Wednesday after hours, and I got an email this morning saying it's complete! I didn't even tell them my company's phone number or include a W-2 form... not sure what they checked. My boss was on travel last week (and they definitely did not have his cell number).

Very strange... not that I'm complaining :wink:

GMAT Club Knowledge Vault:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/123
Haas Ambassador
http://gmatclub.com/forum/128-t62555
Kryzak's Profile:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/111-t56286
Member Essays:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/103-t50969

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

Re: KRoll background check [#permalink] New post 27 Apr 2008, 15:18
From my background check by kroll for employment, I don't think it's too much of an issue. It's just administrative stuff on their part. I am actually surprised that they also do it for MBA admits (and with credit check as well!!!)
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: KRoll background check [#permalink] New post 05 May 2008, 09:35
does anyone know if ucla/duke do background checks?

Success is my only option, failure is not -- Eminem

SVP
SVP
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 82 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: KRoll background check [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2008, 17:04
Has every school moved to doing Kroll or some kind of background check? I think Wharton started the trend and it was followed by CBS. I see more and more schools doing it. Is it a Northeast thing?

Are there any schools that don't do a background check?
SVP
SVP
Schools: Darden
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 421 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: KRoll background check [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2008, 17:27
I believe the trend started 5 years ago or so, when Haas and Wharton identified some applicants who had lied on their applications. I'm trying to recall off the top of my head, but there was an article in BW not too long ago. I think the problem was that some people lied on their applications or resumes about work experience; people who had been laid off during the tech downturn fudged their histories. I think a Haas representative was quoted as saying those students would have been admitted anyways because the school was well aware that a lot of people were affected by layoffs, but their admits were rescinded because of the lies. It stated with just one applicant, but when they discovered the problem they went back and identified a bunch more; something like 5% of admits had discrepancies. Since then, I think most top MBA schools now conduct background checks, either internally or through an outside source.

I have heard similar stories about job recruiting as well; where people had offers rescinded because they lied or failed to disclose things that would have been alright if properly explained. This is especially true in regulated industries like securities and law.

Certain background items can be explained, but lying (and getting discovered of course) is death.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 82 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: KRoll background check [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2008, 04:50
RVD wrote:
I was going through the whole scenario of "what if i fail? how am i going to explain this to work and everyone who thinks i'm going to business school, etc..."

RVD.

Ughhh. I have a friend who was "let go" because he incorrectly added three months to a previous experience. It didn't materially affect his resume/application, but that didn't matter.

I'm assuming background checks are done after you give your deposit? Does that mean they keep your deposit should you fail the background check?
SVP
SVP
Schools: Darden
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 421 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: KRoll background check [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2008, 21:06
Yes, I agree that the stress and timing can really suck.

The only thing I've heard about that trips people up is lying about work experience. Standard job search practices seem to encourage people to push the limits when describing work experience, and some people just go over the line. I've never heard of anyone lying about school experience, because frankly that would be stupid. Everything is contained in one tidy place (your transcript), and you need to provide an official copy once accepted. You'd have to be colossally stupid to lie about that.

Application background checks are nothing compared to what investment banks put you through; you'll definitely have to pee in a cup, among other things. The difference, of course, is that banking is a heavily regulated industry. It makes sense for schools to do some type of background check, because it hurts their brand if employers later find problems with the profiles of their students.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 0

Re: KRoll background check [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2008, 21:39
oh yeah...they also check for police records. if you have some speeding tickets and stuff like that you should be fine but anything more serious and it probably could be trouble.

i also think it serves fairly well as a deterrent. if the prospective applicant knows that there is a background check he/she will be less likely to lie or embellish.

anyway, good luck everyone with your background checks.

RVD.

My Wharton Blog - http://www.whartonblog.com
Wharton MBA for Executives Ambassador - http://gmatclub.com/forum/128-t66295
My Story - http://gmatclub.com/forum/102-t49770

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

Re: KRoll background check [#permalink] New post 05 Aug 2008, 23:59
I didnt pass the cfa level one exam the 1st time. I'm planning on giving it in december. if I dont mention failing once, ut mention giving the exam, does that matter?

As well do the schools that perform Kroll; checks do it on all students or a few randomly.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

Re: KRoll background check [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2008, 23:36
yeah all good points. thanks for the tips guys. +1s
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: KRoll background check [#permalink] New post 15 Jul 2009, 11:58
Hello all -

I have a question - on my NYU app I put 80k for my salary, but it was a projected salary based on a raise i never got (because I'm leaving). Now my current salary is about 20k below that and I'm freaking out that Kroll will tell me that I purposefully lied.

Will I have problems with the acceptance?

Thanks
Director
Director
Schools: Cornell '11
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 130 [0], given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: KRoll background check [#permalink] New post 15 Jul 2009, 13:14
Kroll will report the discrepancy to the school and in turn the school should contact you directly to explain it. I believe that a school will always allow for the accepted student to defend him/herself.

georgious wrote:
Hello all -

I have a question - on my NYU app I put 80k for my salary, but it was a projected salary based on a raise i never got (because I'm leaving). Now my current salary is about 20k below that and I'm freaking out that Kroll will tell me that I purposefully lied.

Thanks

"George is getting upset!"

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 69 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: KRoll background check [#permalink] New post 15 Jul 2009, 13:33
georgious wrote:
Hello all -

Thanks

You will be fine. The salary area varies at so many firms that is is hard to decipher whether someone was lying. For all they know, HR did not take into account the $20k in options. If they are really put off by it, they will ask you about it--they will not jump to conclusions by any means. Plus, I doubt they accepted you based on $60k vs. $80k. In so many words, don't worry.

For future applicants, I would put what you currently make. If you are pretty sure about your annual raise or bonus, you should mention it in the optional essay because it is important. As I said, the salary situation is different everywhere, and admissions do not have a crystal ball for how every firm does their comp. Some might not give bonuses at all, and that is also worth mentioning somewhere in your work history or optional essay. Think about Google. If you worked there pre-IPO (even post-IPO), your salary might have been very little, but your options made you a very high paid employee!
Intern
Intern

Re: KRoll background check [#permalink] New post 15 Jul 2009, 13:48
Thanks so much- I truly appreciate the answer. I am quite a bit worried about this since I didn't really give it much thought on the app, thinking the possible variation wouldn't even matter.

I just hope they don't think I am lying and rescind the acceptance! I know I am being paranoid :)

Posted from my mobile device Image
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: KRoll background check [#permalink] New post 07 Feb 2010, 12:15
hello,

can anyone help me on this question. Does Kroll background check staff call your HR or the recommendation letter writer? or both? or they contact one of them randomly?

thanks!
Intern
Intern

Kroll background check [#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2010, 07:10
About 3 years ago i worked for a company for about 2.5 months. Since it was for only 2.5 months, I did not include it on my resume/employment history. I was still doing my current job at that time but I took up that temporary work for extra money. Will that be grounds for my admit getting rescinded or am I just being worrying unnecessarily?

Thanks for your time!
Current Student
Schools: Ross (R2), Cornell (R3) , UNC (R3) , INSEAD (R1 Jan)
WE 1: Advisory (2 yrs)
WE 2: FP & Analysis (2 yrs at matriculation)
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 82 [0], given: 45

GMAT Tests User
Re: Kroll background check [#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2010, 07:19
They won't know about it unless you include it in the data sheet, so they won't even check. I believe Kroll goes off a data sheet you fill out in advance. I think they also do credit checks in a lot of cases (it might show up there, perhaps if you paid taxes). Can anyone verify whether they always do a credit check as well and what kind of details that might include? Is it the same credit report you get from Transunion or Equifax?
Current Student
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 89 [0], given: 3439

GMAT Tests User
Re: Kroll background check [#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2010, 07:20
bhavik123 wrote:
About 3 years ago i worked for a company for about 2.5 months. Since it was for only 2.5 months, I did not include it on my resume/employment history. I was still doing my current job at that time but I took up that temporary work for extra money. Will that be grounds for my admit getting rescinded or am I just being worrying unnecessarily?

Thanks for your time!

Did you put on your resume or in your essays that you were doing something else at the time (that Kroll would then verify off their datasheet as overstated by at least 2.5 months and therefore ask for an explanation for the unaccounted time)?

Does that business for which you worked 2.5 months operate in an illegal, unethical or otherwise despicable industry -- one that would give a business school pause as to admitting you in the first place?

If both answers are no, I would think you shouldn't have anything to worry about.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: KRoll background check [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2010, 13:53
Hey, I just found out that I can check my own credit and do a background check on myself for only 20 bucks. I think that could be interesting... I can see why the schools want to check my credit rating though, when you consider the huge number of students that default on their student loans. I read somewhere that the default rate is something like 7% now.

Reduce, reuse, recycle your old fax machine in favor of an internet fax service.

Current Student
Schools: Ross 2012
WE 1: 5 Years at Fortune 50 Company in Manufacturing
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 164 [0], given: 20

GMAT Tests User
Re: KRoll background check [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2010, 14:46
joeleitz wrote:
Hey, I just found out that I can check my own credit and do a background check on myself for only 20 bucks. I think that could be interesting... I can see why the schools want to check my credit rating though, when you consider the huge number of students that default on their student loans. I read somewhere that the default rate is something like 7% now.

At least for US citizens, Student Loans are almost iron clad. Even in bankrupcy filings, you can't get rid of student loans (this isn't 100% true but does required quiet a bit of effort). This makes even less sense for international students.. But hey it's pretty painless the credit check portion.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: KRoll background check   [#permalink] 31 Mar 2010, 14:46