Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 12 Jul 2014, 13:06

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

KRoll background check

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 25 Feb 2010
Posts: 1
Location: Texas
Schools: HBS, Sloan, Tepper, McCombs
WE 1: 10 years - Consulting / Energy
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: KRoll background check [#permalink] New post 02 Apr 2010, 17:48
Hey all - Long time lurker, first time poster here. I just found this thread and could use some advice. I was recently admitted to a top 15 program with a full scholarship. Of course they are doing the Kroll background check. I didn't lie on anything on my application, but there are 2 things that might need explaining.

The first is that 1.5 years ago I was charged with a DWI. However, the charges were dropped (because it was a b.s. charge in the first place), but I know that it shows up on background checks (only that I was charged). I cannot have it expunged for 2 years....so, I have to wait till the end of this year to completely erase it from my record. On my application, they asked if I've ever been "convicted" or plead "no contest" to anything other than some sort of a misdemeanor (not sure of the exact wording). So, I checked "no" which is completely accurate. I now have the opportunity to contact them to "clarify" anything that might need clarification but am debating even bringing it up, since I answered the question truthfully and accurately. Thoughts?

The second is a bit more trivial....I am pretty sure that for one of my recommenders, I listed him as my supervisor, when technically, he is an "indirect supervisor." I do all my work for him, but I report to someone else. I won't go into details, but the guy I report to would probably have had typos in his letter of recommendation, whereas the guy I used (who has a much more prestigious job and reputation within the company) is someone I really respect and was thrilled to have write my letter of recommendation. My concern here is that if Kroll asks the company (i.e. HR) who I report to, they will list a different name than the person who wrote my letter. I know for a fact that if Kroll contacts my recommender, he would either say he was my supervisor or explain the situation, as we have already discussed this scenario. Does anyone know if this is a big deal at all?

Thanks in advance!!
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 05 Jan 2010
Posts: 377
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 89 [0], given: 3439

GMAT Tests User
Re: KRoll background check [#permalink] New post 03 Apr 2010, 13:11
If I were in your situation, I would contact Kroll to write exactly what you posted here about your DWI. Let them know it was a misunderstanding, you were not driving while intoxicated, the charges were dropped when the misunderstanding became clear and it is set to be expunged from your record in six months. Also frame your response to their question exactly how you framed it here. Mention that since you didn't have to plea, you responded no to the question. Then conclude with your hopeful conviction that Kroll and the University would agree it was an unfortunate event but one that should bear no weight on the school's decision to admit you and one was not worth mentioning at the time of application.

As for the second thing, I wouldn't mention it because (1) I don't really think the company is going to release the name of your supervisor to the business school. I think they're only going to check salary, employment dates and current standing, (2) if they contact your ref, he'll be prepped and ready and (3) on the off chance they do contact your current supervisor (I really have not heard of this yet from reading these boards, btw), he would probably explain the issue. If he doesn't you'll have a chance to rebut afterwards.

So I say tell them about 1 now and 2 later, only if it becomes a point of clarification.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 06 Nov 2009
Posts: 38
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: KRoll background check [#permalink] New post 13 Apr 2010, 04:35
Does Kroll involve calling up recommenders as well or do they only verify job details? I'm asking as one of my recommenders is on trips to remote places and hes inaccessible most of time, because of which I've been delaying my background verification until he returns
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 04 Jun 2010
Posts: 1
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: KRoll background check [#permalink] New post 04 Jun 2010, 00:02
Hi,

I was wondering for the KROLL employment check, if I only provided my reference contact info but not my HR info, will they call my previous employer directly? or they will call my reference to check?

If they call my previous employer directly, what if the receptionist cannot direct them to the right HR personnel with my record?
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 30 Mar 2010
Posts: 8
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 5

Re: KRoll background check [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2010, 14:23
Hello everybody!

Maybe it will be a stupid question, but still... This checks by Kroll can be really stressful. My question is. I am not from the US and my undergraduate institute is also not in the US. According to the rules, I sent to the MBA University my official school transcripts and now I have all this "what if" questions. My main concern is that if Kroll or anybody else tries to call my undergraduate university, it will be hard for them to find any English-speaking person (my country is not English-speaking one - Russia). So, if they just check my undergraduate transcripts, then everything will be OK and I don't have to worry - I provided them together with an official translation in English. If they call my University, I will have troubles trying to find anyone who speaks English and also explaining why it is hard to do (not a very nice perspective). Can someone answer me 2 questions:

1) exactly for educational verification: how do they do it? Are transcripts (with official translation) enough or do they call the University and do other checks? (which sounds strange to me as I have always thought that transcripts will be enough, but in case)

2) is the procedure somewhat different for international applicants (as I anticipate the same problems with my employers and my supervisor - the only way Kroll can contact them in English is through an interpreter)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 04 Dec 2009
Posts: 376
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 71 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: KRoll background check [#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2010, 03:59
mossovet814 wrote:
Hello everybody!

Maybe it will be a stupid question, but still... This checks by Kroll can be really stressful. My question is. I am not from the US and my undergraduate institute is also not in the US. According to the rules, I sent to the MBA University my official school transcripts and now I have all this "what if" questions. My main concern is that if Kroll or anybody else tries to call my undergraduate university, it will be hard for them to find any English-speaking person (my country is not English-speaking one - Russia). So, if they just check my undergraduate transcripts, then everything will be OK and I don't have to worry - I provided them together with an official translation in English. If they call my University, I will have troubles trying to find anyone who speaks English and also explaining why it is hard to do (not a very nice perspective). Can someone answer me 2 questions:

1) exactly for educational verification: how do they do it? Are transcripts (with official translation) enough or do they call the University and do other checks? (which sounds strange to me as I have always thought that transcripts will be enough, but in case)

2) is the procedure somewhat different for international applicants (as I anticipate the same problems with my employers and my supervisor - the only way Kroll can contact them in English is through an interpreter)


1) Kroll will check whatever is relevant in your university.

2) Language is not an issue for them.
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 12 Nov 2008
Posts: 368
Schools: Ross (R2), Cornell (R3) , UNC (R3) , INSEAD (R1 Jan)
WE 1: Advisory (2 yrs)
WE 2: FP & Analysis (2 yrs at matriculation)
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 82 [0], given: 45

GMAT Tests User
Re: KRoll background check [#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2010, 15:27
crapface wrote:
Does Kroll involve calling up recommenders as well or do they only verify job details? I'm asking as one of my recommenders is on trips to remote places and hes inaccessible most of time, because of which I've been delaying my background verification until he returns


That depends strictly on what the school asked Kroll to verify, but I believe most do request that recommenders be contacted. I would not delay your background verification on account of your recommender being out of reach. Just fill out the data sheet, then it's up to them if they want to arrange time for a phone call, email the person instead, etc. that's not something you should have to worry about. Good luck!
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 12 Nov 2008
Posts: 368
Schools: Ross (R2), Cornell (R3) , UNC (R3) , INSEAD (R1 Jan)
WE 1: Advisory (2 yrs)
WE 2: FP & Analysis (2 yrs at matriculation)
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 82 [0], given: 45

GMAT Tests User
Re: KRoll background check [#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2010, 15:30
panopticonalee wrote:
Hi,

I was wondering for the KROLL employment check, if I only provided my reference contact info but not my HR info, will they call my previous employer directly? or they will call my reference to check?

If they call my previous employer directly, what if the receptionist cannot direct them to the right HR personnel with my record?


This sounds like a bit of a strange situation. Even in companies where there is no dedicated HR personnel, there is always someone who keeps human resource-related data. They will find the right person eventually, but that might take time. To ensure that the process goes as smoothly as possible, I suggest you give them the contact details of the person who has access to your employment data.
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 12 Nov 2008
Posts: 368
Schools: Ross (R2), Cornell (R3) , UNC (R3) , INSEAD (R1 Jan)
WE 1: Advisory (2 yrs)
WE 2: FP & Analysis (2 yrs at matriculation)
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 82 [0], given: 45

GMAT Tests User
Re: KRoll background check [#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2010, 16:57
sickofthewait wrote:
Hey all - Long time lurker, first time poster here. I just found this thread and could use some advice. I was recently admitted to a top 15 program with a full scholarship. Of course they are doing the Kroll background check. I didn't lie on anything on my application, but there are 2 things that might need explaining.

The first is that 1.5 years ago I was charged with a DWI. However, the charges were dropped (because it was a b.s. charge in the first place), but I know that it shows up on background checks (only that I was charged). I cannot have it expunged for 2 years....so, I have to wait till the end of this year to completely erase it from my record. On my application, they asked if I've ever been "convicted" or plead "no contest" to anything other than some sort of a misdemeanor (not sure of the exact wording). So, I checked "no" which is completely accurate. I now have the opportunity to contact them to "clarify" anything that might need clarification but am debating even bringing it up, since I answered the question truthfully and accurately. Thoughts?


I say wait and see if they even bring it up. As long as you answered truthfully in the first place, I don't see it being a problem, especially if you explain the situation the way you have above in the off chance they ask. The school has gone through the trouble of admitting you, they won't let you go without a fight.

sickofthewait wrote:
The second is a bit more trivial....I am pretty sure that for one of my recommenders, I listed him as my supervisor, when technically, he is an "indirect supervisor." I do all my work for him, but I report to someone else. I won't go into details, but the guy I report to would probably have had typos in his letter of recommendation, whereas the guy I used (who has a much more prestigious job and reputation within the company) is someone I really respect and was thrilled to have write my letter of recommendation. My concern here is that if Kroll asks the company (i.e. HR) who I report to, they will list a different name than the person who wrote my letter. I know for a fact that if Kroll contacts my recommender, he would either say he was my supervisor or explain the situation, as we have already discussed this scenario. Does anyone know if this is a big deal at all?

Thanks in advance!!


Kroll is not likely to ask HR who your direct supervisor is. Also, the person writing your recommendation doesn't even have to be your direct supervisor. One of my recommenders is a person that supervised me on a few projects, but I was not her direct report by any means. I made sure she explained the extent of her supervisory responsibility in her recommendation. The only requirement is that the person writing it should be able to speak to your professional abilities and leadership potential - they could be a client, supervisor, etc. I doubt that the person who wrote it explicitly said that s/he is your only and direct supervisor, you're sweating small stuff here. Kroll will contact HR and they will want to know dates, salaries, titles. Then they will contact your recommender and will want to know if they actually wrote the recommendation (do they know you at all? For how long?) and what your last title was, and that's it.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 18 Aug 2010
Posts: 16
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

KRoll background check ( I own my own business) [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2010, 22:32
What kind of background check do schools want to know? Will I have to show tax records of how much I made or will kroll check to see how much I have made?
Thanks
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 12 Nov 2008
Posts: 368
Schools: Ross (R2), Cornell (R3) , UNC (R3) , INSEAD (R1 Jan)
WE 1: Advisory (2 yrs)
WE 2: FP & Analysis (2 yrs at matriculation)
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 82 [0], given: 45

GMAT Tests User
Re: KRoll background check ( I own my own business) [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2010, 05:56
monad2000 wrote:
What kind of background check do schools want to know? Will I have to show tax records of how much I made or will kroll check to see how much I have made?
Thanks


They'll talk to your employer and figure out how much you made. That's definitely one of the things they check.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 18 Aug 2010
Posts: 16
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: KRoll background check ( I own my own business) [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2010, 08:29
ariel wrote:
monad2000 wrote:
What kind of background check do schools want to know? Will I have to show tax records of how much I made or will kroll check to see how much I have made?
Thanks


They'll talk to your employer and figure out how much you made. That's definitely one of the things they check.


What do they do if I am self emplyed? I have owed my own business for 3 years..
Thanks...
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 12 Nov 2008
Posts: 368
Schools: Ross (R2), Cornell (R3) , UNC (R3) , INSEAD (R1 Jan)
WE 1: Advisory (2 yrs)
WE 2: FP & Analysis (2 yrs at matriculation)
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 82 [0], given: 45

GMAT Tests User
Re: KRoll background check ( I own my own business) [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2010, 09:01
monad2000 wrote:

What do they do if I am self emplyed? I have owed my own business for 3 years..
Thanks...


They will likely ask for proof of how much you've paid in taxes for that period.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 30 Jun 2009
Posts: 40
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 750

Re: KRoll background check [#permalink] New post 25 Oct 2010, 21:41
When is background check performed? Right after admission offer is accepted and depost is paid or later?

It would be so taxing to wait anxiously for background check after being admitted..
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 29 Oct 2010
Posts: 1
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: KRoll background check [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2010, 04:10
i need a honest answer to this: I took two local college course in the summer one year, got an A and a C-. It wasn't something I needed for my college degree so I never transferred any credit from that school. This will obviously hurt me, as my GPA is already low, will schools find out if I just "accidentally" left it off the application? Thanks a lot for any candid inputs.
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 12 Nov 2008
Posts: 368
Schools: Ross (R2), Cornell (R3) , UNC (R3) , INSEAD (R1 Jan)
WE 1: Advisory (2 yrs)
WE 2: FP & Analysis (2 yrs at matriculation)
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 82 [0], given: 45

GMAT Tests User
Re: KRoll background check [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2010, 04:50
dethinker1 wrote:
i need a honest answer to this: I took two local college course in the summer one year, got an A and a C-. It wasn't something I needed for my college degree so I never transferred any credit from that school. This will obviously hurt me, as my GPA is already low, will schools find out if I just "accidentally" left it off the application? Thanks a lot for any candid inputs.


While it is unethical to not report it, I don't know that there's a way that they will find out. They only verify info you put on your app, there's no universal database where they can check everything and anything about you.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 27 Jun 2007
Posts: 13
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: KRoll background check [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2010, 13:23
So what do they ask from you after you are admitted to check?

ariel wrote:
dethinker1 wrote:
i need a honest answer to this: I took two local college course in the summer one year, got an A and a C-. It wasn't something I needed for my college degree so I never transferred any credit from that school. This will obviously hurt me, as my GPA is already low, will schools find out if I just "accidentally" left it off the application? Thanks a lot for any candid inputs.


While it is unethical to not report it, I don't know that there's a way that they will find out. They only verify info you put on your app, there's no universal database where they can check everything and anything about you.
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 12 Nov 2008
Posts: 368
Schools: Ross (R2), Cornell (R3) , UNC (R3) , INSEAD (R1 Jan)
WE 1: Advisory (2 yrs)
WE 2: FP & Analysis (2 yrs at matriculation)
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 82 [0], given: 45

GMAT Tests User
Re: KRoll background check [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2010, 13:44
dethinker wrote:
So what do they ask from you after you are admitted to check?


Varies but usually work history, contact info for your recommenders, education history, SSN.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Status: Applied & Dreaming
Affiliations: CFA, VDC, NSS,
Joined: 16 Sep 2010
Posts: 9
Schools: Tuck (R2), Fuqua (R2), Wharton (R2), Stern (R2)
WE 1: Investment Bank/Brokerage
WE 2: Entrepreneurship (Dubai, UAE)
WE 3: Entrepreneurship (India)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: KRoll background check [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2010, 18:45
Do they take the Passport number and details as well?

ariel wrote:
dethinker wrote:
So what do they ask from you after you are admitted to check?


Varies but usually work history, contact info for your recommenders, education history, SSN.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 20 Oct 2010
Posts: 121
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 4

Re: KRoll background check [#permalink] New post 19 Nov 2010, 05:52
How do these guys go about verifying a business experience?

Last edited by rkn on 20 Nov 2010, 08:24, edited 2 times in total.
Re: KRoll background check   [#permalink] 19 Nov 2010, 05:52
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
Kroll Background Check for Entrepreneurs ? Srilankanaspirant 0 17 Jan 2014, 08:17
kroll background check monarj2 0 25 Oct 2012, 19:17
1 Duke and Kroll Background Checks TomKat12345 5 09 Mar 2011, 21:24
Kroll, Background Checks widerangeinput 3 25 Jul 2010, 06:09
What info does Kroll go through in its background check? loathetheapps 7 15 Oct 2008, 17:48
Display posts from previous: Sort by

KRoll background check

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  14    Next  [ 267 posts ] 



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.