Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Jul 2014, 03:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

KRoll background check

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 24 Aug 2010
Posts: 125
Schools: CBS Class of 2013
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

Re: KRoll background check [#permalink] New post 19 Nov 2010, 11:37
For CBS, they only verify your work history and recommendations. I think the school verifies your degree and your transcripts (you send transcripts to the school).
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 26 Oct 2010
Posts: 2
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: KRoll background check [#permalink] New post 07 Dec 2010, 07:26
I made a typo on my application and realized after checking. I stated my salary as 59,000 versus 58,000. What should I do?
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 24 Aug 2010
Posts: 125
Schools: CBS Class of 2013
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

Re: KRoll background check [#permalink] New post 07 Dec 2010, 08:38
Let the adcom know it was a mistake.
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 15 Dec 2009
Posts: 289
Schools: Duke
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 49 [0], given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: KRoll background check [#permalink] New post 07 Dec 2010, 08:38
bussy123 wrote:
I made a typo on my application and realized after checking. I stated my salary as 59,000 versus 58,000. What should I do?


Don't sweat over that. No one is going to care, thus I would simply do nothing. If you had forgotten to mention that you were a convicted felon - well that's another story.
_________________

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 26 Oct 2010
Posts: 2
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: KRoll background check [#permalink] New post 07 Dec 2010, 08:50
Appreciate the response. My plan was to just call them when i'm filling out Kroll. Truth is I can prob actually justify the higher amount with deffered comp etc. etc. But i'd rather just say I realized I made a mistake and avoid any issues.
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 15 Dec 2009
Posts: 289
Schools: Duke
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 49 [0], given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: KRoll background check [#permalink] New post 07 Dec 2010, 09:00
If you decide to call them, tell them it was a typo and everything will be all good. I have been 'vetted' twice before - not by Kroll - and was always provided the results afterwards and there were at least 2 typos a page, so that should put it in perspective....
_________________

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 26 Oct 2007
Posts: 608
Location: The High Seas
Schools: Tuck, Yale (ding), NYU, Columbia, Duke (int)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: KRoll background check [#permalink] New post 07 Dec 2010, 20:40
I have a question for you guys. I have two concerns, what do you guys think:

1) On my resume I listed my most recent job title as "Coordinator" (I won't mention the specifics). My office experienced a lot of layoffs, and I was hastily "promoted" because I was doing multiple job functions. Prior to becoming "Coordinator" I was an "Administrator." On my resume I have "Coordinator" listed, but I'm not even sure if that was recorded with HR. I haven't submitted my apps yet, so I have time to fix my resume....should I put "Coordinator" or "Administrator"? I think the latter makes me sound like a secretary, however my job functions/accomplishments on my resume obviously reflect a job with more responsibility. My recommender would be able to confirm this as well.

2) I'm currently in a graduate program and this past summer I travelled to Mexico to conduct independent research for my thesis. Will Kroll be able to tell how long I was there? I made several trips back to the U.S. over the summer, and I just hope that doesn't look weird.
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 12 Nov 2008
Posts: 368
Schools: Ross (R2), Cornell (R3) , UNC (R3) , INSEAD (R1 Jan)
WE 1: Advisory (2 yrs)
WE 2: FP & Analysis (2 yrs at matriculation)
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 82 [0], given: 45

GMAT Tests User
Re: KRoll background check [#permalink] New post 07 Dec 2010, 22:06
VictoryMBA wrote:
I have a question for you guys. I have two concerns, what do you guys think:

1) On my resume I listed my most recent job title as "Coordinator" (I won't mention the specifics). My office experienced a lot of layoffs, and I was hastily "promoted" because I was doing multiple job functions. Prior to becoming "Coordinator" I was an "Administrator." On my resume I have "Coordinator" listed, but I'm not even sure if that was recorded with HR. I haven't submitted my apps yet, so I have time to fix my resume....should I put "Coordinator" or "Administrator"? I think the latter makes me sound like a secretary, however my job functions/accomplishments on my resume obviously reflect a job with more responsibility. My recommender would be able to confirm this as well.

Stick with the title HR is able to confirm. Schools don't care about titles as much as they care about your actual responsibilities. They will focus on what you've done and won't care about whether you were an administrator or a coordinator. To me administrator actually sounds far more senior than a coordinator, but that's just me. It just goes to show you that titles are meaningless.

VictoryMBA wrote:
2) I'm currently in a graduate program and this past summer I travelled to Mexico to conduct independent research for my thesis. Will Kroll be able to tell how long I was there? I made several trips back to the U.S. over the summer, and I just hope that doesn't look weird.


Highly unlikely they will find out unless it's a part of your application and they have to call someone and the question somehow arises (which I sincerely doubt).
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 12 Dec 2010
Posts: 14
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

Re: KRoll background check [#permalink] New post 12 Dec 2010, 07:55
I have a pressing question.

In my previous job , I worked for a company which is world's largest power manufacturer (ABC) and I was sent to different clients for SAP projects .

The problem is that I used to get salary from another company ( XYZ) ( I was on payrolls of other company and I was body shopped to ABC ).

My Question is that in my resume I write that I was working for ABC company and in my employment history I explicitly write


Company : ABC company - Pay roll of XYZ.


My recommender will also vouch for me that I used to work for ABC company and on pay rolls of XYZ.


Do you think there can be any problem?
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 12 Jan 2010
Posts: 15
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: KRoll background check [#permalink] New post 12 Dec 2010, 09:23
Hi,

I just checked my UNC application and saw that I had reported my salary as 45000 when its actually 43000. How big a mistake is that? Would it be better to contact the adcom and let them know of this error?

Thanks.
Retired Moderator
avatar
Status: Darden Class of 2013
Joined: 28 Jul 2009
Posts: 1838
Schools: University of Virginia
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 204 [0], given: 37

GMAT Tests User
Re: KRoll background check [#permalink] New post 12 Dec 2010, 17:23
prasaadks wrote:
Hi,

I just checked my UNC application and saw that I had reported my salary as 45000 when its actually 43000. How big a mistake is that? Would it be better to contact the adcom and let them know of this error?

Thanks.


I personally don't think it's that big of a problem. Companies can never really know how much your total compensation (salary + bonus + options + etc.) is. If you're admitted and Kroll finds a problem, you can then justify yourself. However, if you want to make yourself feel better, go for it and tell UNC adcom. I'm sure either way is fine.
_________________

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 12 Dec 2010
Posts: 14
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

Re: KRoll background check [#permalink] New post 12 Dec 2010, 18:08
djingroove wrote:
I have a pressing question.

In my previous job , I worked for a company which is world's largest power manufacturer (ABC) and I was sent to different clients for SAP projects .

The problem is that I used to get salary from another company ( XYZ) ( I was on payrolls of other company and I was body shopped to ABC ).

My Question is that in my resume I write that I was working for ABC company and in my employment history I explicitly write


Company : ABC company - Pay roll of XYZ.


My recommender will also vouch for me that I used to work for ABC company and on pay rolls of XYZ.


Do you think there can be any problem?




Can somebody answer this query of mine also?

Thanks
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 06 Nov 2010
Posts: 45
Schools: HBS, MIT, Kellogg
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 0

Re: KRoll background check [#permalink] New post 12 Dec 2010, 19:27
djingroove wrote:
djingroove wrote:
I have a pressing question.

In my previous job , I worked for a company which is world's largest power manufacturer (ABC) and I was sent to different clients for SAP projects .

The problem is that I used to get salary from another company ( XYZ) ( I was on payrolls of other company and I was body shopped to ABC ).

My Question is that in my resume I write that I was working for ABC company and in my employment history I explicitly write


Company : ABC company - Pay roll of XYZ.


My recommender will also vouch for me that I used to work for ABC company and on pay rolls of XYZ.


Do you think there can be any problem?




Can somebody answer this query of mine also?

Thanks



That seems like a very strange thing to put on your resume. I would just tell your story the way you want it to be read. Provided you're not lying and conflicts wouldn't arise during an investigation, anticipating unforeseen questions seems to be giving you a weird application at best. If it got to the point where they're checking your background, I think you're in a better place anyway, no? I doubt decisions would be made based on unsubstantiated doubts. Just my opinion.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 17 Dec 2010
Posts: 55
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: KRoll background check [#permalink] New post 17 Dec 2010, 22:33
My colleague who works with me is in a supervisory role. Officially I do not report to him. He wrote a letter recommending me for B-School admissions claiming that he is my supervisor. I requested him to keep my aim of going to B-School confidential. Other than this, I did not lie about my salary, job, title, grades, nothing.

I am freaked out now what if they call up the HR only to find out that my colleague is not my manager. Not only that I will fail the background check but my employer will find out that I was planning to quit.

Please help me.
Retired Moderator
avatar
Status: Darden Class of 2013
Joined: 28 Jul 2009
Posts: 1838
Schools: University of Virginia
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 204 [0], given: 37

GMAT Tests User
Re: KRoll background check [#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2010, 11:41
Why would he claim to be your supervisor? If you didn't get a chance to read it, I wouldn't sweat it too much. Most schools offer you a chance to write the recommender's title and "relationship to you". As long as you make it clear that the "releationship to you" is not a direct, immediate supervisor, you should be fine. However, if you did put immediate supervisor (or anything of that nature that reflects the recommender to be your direct boss), then that'll be a different case. Reading and interpreting what you said, I don't think that's what you did.
_________________

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Current Student
avatar
Status: Matriculating to Ross!
Joined: 05 Dec 2010
Posts: 210
Schools: Harvard, Ross, McCombs, Mendoza
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 15

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: KRoll background check [#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2010, 11:50
I don't think the supervisor question is that big of a deal. Informal supervisory relationships exist everywhere. I've got somewhere around six people that would legitimately claim to be my boss. Two of them wrote recommendations for me. Worry if the guy is actually your buddy and can't talk in a meaningful way about your supervisory relationship.

I've done verification interviews for people getting vetted for Top Secret clearances, and the questions there are designed to ensure that the applicant told the truth on his application and that the verifier is also telling the truth about who they are. Don't sweat it and be honest.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 24 Aug 2010
Posts: 125
Schools: CBS Class of 2013
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

Re: KRoll background check [#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2010, 11:59
piggles wrote:
I don't think the supervisor question is that big of a deal. Informal supervisory relationships exist everywhere. I've got somewhere around six people that would legitimately claim to be my boss. Two of them wrote recommendations for me. Worry if the guy is actually your buddy and can't talk in a meaningful way about your supervisory relationship.

I've done verification interviews for people getting vetted for Top Secret clearances, and the questions there are designed to ensure that the applicant told the truth on his application and that the verifier is also telling the truth about who they are. Don't sweat it and be honest.


I'm at a start-up, and while there's no direct supervision here, there's an implied relationship between you and your peers. Ie, if the guy's older than me and his title is VP, EVP, etc, he's my boss. If you worked on items together and you reported to him/worked with him and he talked about that relationship, you got nothing to worry about.

For me, one of my recommenders resigned. I told CBS, and they said not to worry. If he's still willing to provide verification to Kroll, which he is, then it's not a problem.

Don't sweat it. If the guy is senior to you (and not another analyst, etc), you're fine.
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 30 Jun 2010
Posts: 169
Schools: Wharton/Lauder - Class of 2013
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 9

Re: KRoll background check [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2010, 17:47
.

Last edited by globalcitizen on 25 Jan 2011, 19:34, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 24 Mar 2010
Posts: 347
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 49 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: KRoll background check [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2010, 21:56
If you worked for a company for just 1 month back in 2006 but jumped ship to your current firm, is that something you should put down on your resume and application? I left it out since it was such a short stint that i thought it's inconsequential. My guess is Kroll can't find out about that unless they ask me for my W-2 forms from back in 2006.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 09 Nov 2010
Posts: 43
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Re: KRoll background check [#permalink] New post 20 Dec 2010, 09:29
I might be in a situation where I'm thinking about accepting two offers from two different schools (and deciding in the summer where to go). I'm ok putting down the deposit for both (realizing that it's the cost of such option). If both schools use Kroll, are they going to have some problem doing my background check and telling the schools that I have accepted both?
Re: KRoll background check   [#permalink] 20 Dec 2010, 09:29
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
Kroll Background Check for Entrepreneurs ? Srilankanaspirant 0 17 Jan 2014, 08:17
kroll background check monarj2 0 25 Oct 2012, 19:17
1 Duke and Kroll Background Checks TomKat12345 5 09 Mar 2011, 21:24
Kroll, Background Checks widerangeinput 3 25 Jul 2010, 06:09
What info does Kroll go through in its background check? loathetheapps 7 15 Oct 2008, 17:48
Display posts from previous: Sort by

KRoll background check

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  14    Next  [ 267 posts ] 



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.