Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Apr 2014, 08:17

Hurry Up:

Last day of registration for Dealing with a Ding - Webinar by GMATClub and Admissionado Consulting.

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

KRoll background check

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
KRoll background check [#permalink] New post 29 Jan 2008, 12:44
So, I have been hearing a lot of fuss about this whole background check.

I was wondering if any of you guys have been through Kroll check? What all schools use these checks and how do they go about approaching the background checks?

Success is my only option, failure is not -- Eminem

7 KUDOS received
Current Student
Awesome Level: 10++
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 26 [7] , given: 26

Re: KRoll background check [#permalink] New post 13 Mar 2013, 08:31
This post received
KUDOS
silversurferradd wrote:
Hi,
I've competed in half-marathons few years ago but unfortunately can't find my medals. Would it be an issue if the AdCom/Third Party companies (Kroll) as me to prove my claim about competing in half-marathons?
Thanks!

Yes they will definitely question why your medals are not important enough to store in a safe place, yet you put them on your resume. Also, they will most likely have you compete in the Semi-Annual Kroll MBA Verification Half-Marathon to prove you can actually finish it in the time stated on your resume.
5 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V37
GMAT 2: 680 Q45 V38
GMAT 3: 710 Q45 V42
GPA: 3.32
WE: Information Technology (Retail)
Followers: 18

Kudos [?]: 324 [5] , given: 106

GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: KRoll background check [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2013, 06:45
This post received
KUDOS
Is it possible for Kroll to figure out where I hid the body?

Anyone?
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 18 [2] , given: 0

Re: KRoll background check [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2008, 22:25
This post received
KUDOS
Kroll is a pain and it's the source of a lot of anxiety. Everyone says that you have nothing to worry about if you didn't lie on your resume and application. That's true, but the source of anxiety comes from a bunch of hypothetical "what if" type scenarios that go through your head. It also looks like all major schools are using Kroll now (including UCLA, Berkeley, and Wharton in my experience).

In my case, one of the companies that I worked for went eventually went out of business. I left before they went out of business but I still had no HR phone number to provide in my application so I just wrote "N/A company went out of business".

When you fill out Kroll, you want to make sure that you write exactly the same info as you wrote in your application. Any changes and it's a red flag so I made sure that I did exactly that.

I filled out Kroll right away and they called my current employer about an hour after I filled out the web site (yes, they are fast!).

About a week later, I received mail from Kroll with their results saying that they couldn't get in touch with that company that went out of business. They also stated that all phone numbers on public records were incorrect since they were out of business. But they didn't explicity write that it failed or anything like that.

Everyone around me was telling me that it's probably not a big deal and I didn't think it would be either (after all, I had a plausible explanation). But it could be a pain to verify my salary at the time and bonus received, etc. if I have to try to dig up old tax returns or paycheck stubs, etc.

The problem in my case was that my school didn't notify me of the results for like a month! I know that I could have contacted them but I also didn't want to sound like I did something wrong (because I hadn't). But I was sweating bullets because it was taking so long. In they end, I didn't hear anything other than a simple "You passed the Kroll background check" and it ended at that about a month after I started the whole Kroll process. I heard cases where it was confirmed in a day or in a few days, etc. so it was making me more nervous. My recommendation for all schools is that if you're going to use a background check as the final hurdle for a student to get in, you should give your feedback to the student ASAP since this is such a topic of anxiety. I actually had about a week of sleepless nights over this because I was going through the whole scenario of "what if i fail? how am i going to explain this to work and everyone who thinks i'm going to business school, etc..."

RVD.

My Wharton Blog - http://www.whartonblog.com
Wharton MBA for Executives Ambassador - http://gmatclub.com/forum/128-t66295
My Story - http://gmatclub.com/forum/102-t49770

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 69 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: KRoll background check [#permalink] New post 29 Jan 2008, 17:43
This post received
KUDOS
Columbia does Kroll, and I recently submitted my form that allows them to check my background. It is nothing to worry about, as long as you have not lied. When you go on to the Kroll website your information comes up, such as your education background, your current employer, starting sal, current sal, your recommender's information, and your personal information. You can change the information if it is incorrect, but any change will be reported. In my case, they had my starting position incorrect, so I changed it. No idea why they had it wrong, since it was correct on my app. Probably a typo when Kroll entered everything in. Once you verify everything, you pay a fee, and I think they use your credit card info to check your credit. Basically, they are checking your credit info through your credit card, your current employment, your recommender's existence, your education history, and your criminal background through your personal information.

They called my recommender, and they asked him about my current employment (salary, position, bonus), which surprised me because supervisors might not know this detail nor would they want to be bothered with it since it is an HR issue. After calling your surpervisor, I have no idea what they do as they delve into your background. The process can be fast or slow, it all depends on how smoothly they get the informaiton. But, it does not matter, if you have nothing to worry about. If there is something that comes up that does not seem right, they will let you know and ask for an explanation. They've spent a lot of time admitting you, so they are not going to let you go without a fight. If you lied, say you put that your bonus was $20,000 when it was really $5,000 then you will have some major explaining to do. That is when you should worry. Otherwise, no sweat! Honesty is the best policy!
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 69 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: KRoll background check [#permalink] New post 31 Jan 2008, 19:55
This post received
KUDOS
Today I received an email saying that my Kroll background check is complete, and that, in so many words, I am good to go! They make it sound like I am accepted for the second time. It's a good feeling.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 18 [1] , given: 0

Re: KRoll background check [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2008, 08:20
This post received
KUDOS
Yes, the background check was done after the deposit was paid. I actually have never heard of anyone failing the background check other than maybe a couple of students that are always mentioned from Wharton in various forums. I don't know how it works if you fail the background check (whether you get your deposit back or not).

I would have thought that minor discrepancies (typos, etc.) would be ok as they really wanted to filter out people who blatantly lied (say you went to Harvard when you didn't, or say that you worked at McKindsey when you didn't, etc.).

For most programs, they verify just a few things:
1) college degree (you got a degree from the school you say that you did) and maybe your GPA.
2) last 2-3 jobs were accurate. by accurate, some just check that you worked there but others may check your title, salary, and bonus pay with HR.

that's about it. i have never heard of them doing an exhaustive check for things such as extra-curriculars (were you really the president of the chess club?), hobbies (are you really a karate black belt), sports (are you really an avid golfer and skier), etc.

RVD.

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 4 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: KRoll background check [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2008, 14:09
This post received
KUDOS
Ok, clubbers, here is what you might find interesting - see pages 21-23 (http://www.bitsinfo.org/downloads/Publi ... bcheck.pdf) :shh :P
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 18 [1] , given: 0

Re: KRoll background check [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2008, 11:25
This post received
KUDOS
fooFighter wrote:
I didnt pass the cfa level one exam the 1st time. I'm planning on giving it in december. if I dont mention failing once, ut mention giving the exam, does that matter?

As well do the schools that perform Kroll; checks do it on all students or a few randomly.

they check all students (not random checks).

i dno't think they'll care about your cfa exam.

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 22 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: KRoll background check [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2008, 11:45
This post received
KUDOS
fooFighter wrote:
I didnt pass the cfa level one exam the 1st time. I'm planning on giving it in december. if I dont mention failing once, ut mention giving the exam, does that matter?

I wouldn't do either. You are not required to mention you failed. Bringing attention to it makes them wonder why you failed. CFA 1 is a fairly difficult test, but a lot of their applicants will have passed one or more of the levels. Do you want to be known as the guy who failed? Instead just say that you are a L1 Candidate for December. That sounds a lot more positive.
1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 78 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: KRoll background check [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2008, 11:52
This post received
KUDOS
fooFighter wrote:

I'm not sure why you'd want to put that on your application. I can understand if you've passed Level 1, and you're an L2 candidate. But if you haven't passed any levels and failed one time, I would just not put anything regarding the CFA.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Ross (R2), Cornell (R3) , UNC (R3) , INSEAD (R1 Jan)
WE 1: Advisory (2 yrs)
WE 2: FP & Analysis (2 yrs at matriculation)
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 82 [1] , given: 45

GMAT Tests User
Re: KRoll background check [#permalink] New post 26 Oct 2010, 05:33
This post received
KUDOS
argodan wrote:
When is background check performed? Right after admission offer is accepted and depost is paid or later?

It would be so taxing to wait anxiously for background check after being admitted..

That depends entirely on the school. A lot of them do them in the spring and then there are the ones like Cornell who do them two weeks before classes start.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Ross 2012
WE 1: 5 Years at Fortune 50 Company in Manufacturing
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 164 [1] , given: 20

GMAT Tests User
Re: KRoll background check [#permalink] New post 26 Oct 2010, 09:26
This post received
KUDOS
ariel wrote:
argodan wrote:
When is background check performed? Right after admission offer is accepted and depost is paid or later?

It would be so taxing to wait anxiously for background check after being admitted..

That depends entirely on the school. A lot of them do them in the spring and then there are the ones like Cornell who do them two weeks before classes start.

Haha ariel... yeah good old Kroll :P
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Ross (R2), Cornell (R3) , UNC (R3) , INSEAD (R1 Jan)
WE 1: Advisory (2 yrs)
WE 2: FP & Analysis (2 yrs at matriculation)
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 82 [1] , given: 45

GMAT Tests User
Re: KRoll background check [#permalink] New post 26 Oct 2010, 11:14
This post received
KUDOS
GoBruin wrote:
ariel wrote:
Haha ariel... yeah good old Kroll :P

Lol GoBruin, good times! Lucky you Ross is a very reasonable school :>
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Wharton/Lauder - Class of 2013

Kudos [?]: 23 [1] , given: 9

Re: KRoll background check [#permalink] New post 10 Mar 2011, 07:39
This post received
KUDOS
TomKat12345 wrote:
Can any current student shed some light on this? they hire Kroll to do background checks. student must fill out a "data-sheet" (whatever that means) then kroll will do the rest.

What is asked in this "data sheet" and how do they go about verifying employment?
Do they just verify current employment, last 2 jobs, all jobs?
How do they do so, do we give them the contact info of your supervisor and they call/email them, or do they randomly call the public number listed for the company and ask to be connected to HR?
What if your file is not in the HR records, are you basically screwed?
What else do they ask the employer: job title, salary, etc?

what kroll verifies varies from school to school. The data sheet is information from your application that the school provides to kroll. so, maybe your school wants to verfiy your last two jobs...that information should be in the data sheet and your job is to make sure that the phone numbers/your job title/salary/etc is all accurate. Once you check that form, then you submit it to kroll with your payment (you have to pay to get your info verified).

i am still going through the process myself...but my assumption is that if the data sheet only asks you to verify the information you put in your application with regard to your current employer ONLY, then kroll will ONLY call your current employer. i could be wrong. but apparently columbia only verifies current employer and my data sheet only asked me to confirm information regarding my current employment.

with regards to recommendations, i don't know...i doubt it though.

and my previous employer has no hr records of me either. but, if its in the data sheet, i think you can provide the phone number of someone there (supervisor/someone higher ranking than you) instead and kroll can verify that way.
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Affiliations: HBS Class of 2013
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 113 [1] , given: 4

Premium Member
Re: KRoll background check [#permalink] New post 13 Mar 2011, 09:57
This post received
KUDOS
My guess is they'd want to verify that the company exists and that it does what you claim it does, at the scale you say it does, probably by asking to talk to a client or supplier or something. Or they may want to see some sort of tax records, receipts, or sales records, something like that.

Don't worry, you're not the first small business owner to apply to business school, I'm sure Kroll and the schools know how to get the information they need.

http://www.militarytobusiness.com/

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q41 V46
GMAT 2: 740 Q47 V45
GPA: 3

Kudos [?]: 38 [1] , given: 56

Re: KRoll background check [#permalink] New post 13 Mar 2011, 10:26
This post received
KUDOS
thmgoodw wrote:
emont wrote:
rkn wrote:
I wonder how they will verify a self-employed applicant. I have been working in my family startup and we do not have any HR dept. We only have a single office phone and most of the employees use thr respective cell phones to communicate. If they call the client's HR dept then they wont be given any detail but if they call my recommender then they will be able to get details. I am wondering what if they call up few times and nobody picks up phone from my office (it wont be the first time :) ).

They'll ask you for help getting in touch with someone at your job. I had a similar situation when they had some trouble reaching someone at one of my part-time jobs, so I got an email asking me to have someone from there contact the Kroll rep.

I wonder what happens for those of those that run our own company where we are the only full-time employee :roll:

If it serves as any indication, MIT (who, along with Kellogg, does their verification with ReVera, not Kroll), says that in those cases they will ask for the certificate of incorporation and perhaps other documents.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Re: KRoll background check [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2011, 07:45
This post received
KUDOS
i understand what yr saying
but i know that it is virtually impossible to get salary numbers from the HR !

What questions dis kroll ask on the inout data sheet?
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: ACFE Member, CalCPA Member
Schools: Duke - Fuqua
WE 1: CPA & CFE with 7 years of experience
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 23 [1] , given: 0

Re: KRoll background check [#permalink] New post 23 Dec 2011, 13:31
This post received
KUDOS
NazarethMba wrote:
Greetings friends , I have a quick question :
I established a partnership with a friend a couple of years back in order to start providing IT related services , after 3 weeks we decided that it would be better to operate under a corporation ( company ) protocol and hence we integrated the activity of our previous ( now annulled partnership ) into an existing company that my partner had established three years back , I have all the invoices and yearly tax documentation . In my application I wrote that I partnered with a friend and started a company , will kroll red flag my application ???

I have absolutely no idea why this would cause any sort of red flag. First of all, they are very unlikely to go into that depth beyond determining the existence of said company. As it has existed for a few years, what is the issue? In addition, if there are any questions at all, the Kroll administrator for your check will talk with you if any issues come up. You have the legal documents to support your position. Remember, it isn't like the school wants to ding you or red flag you. This is also true of the background check company. The more of an issue that comes up, the bigger the workload it creates for them. Unfortunately, according to some recent articles on background companies, unless you are hiding a dirty past or outright lie about something bonehead-stupid, you are likely quite safe.
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Affiliations: HBS Class of 2013
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 113 [1] , given: 4

Premium Member
Re: KRoll background check [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2012, 02:36
This post received
KUDOS
ba78 wrote:
I have an important question about the Kroll Verification process. My official job title according to HR records is an archaic, unused one, but retained for salary-level purposes. The job title I reported on my application form is the one that is the industry standard and is used within my team. Will this be a big issue for Kroll?

I have informed my boss and he says that it's ok, and that if asked he will mention the reason for the discrepancy.

Should I be very worried? Is this a reason for a school that has admitted me to rescind the offer? I have only one admit so far, and its for my dream school so im very anxious about this....

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

As I've stated multiple times in this thread, unless you made a deliberate attempt to deceive the adcom in your essays, resume, or work experience, you don't have anything to worry about. Kroll isn't looking for a way to yank people's admissions, they just want to verify that no blatant liars slipped through the cracks. If there are any minor discrepancies (or if they can't reach a contact you listed) they'll call or email you and give you a chance to clarify. I've never heard of anyone getting unnecessarily hassled by Kroll.

http://www.militarytobusiness.com/

Re: KRoll background check   [#permalink] 29 Mar 2012, 02:36