Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 02:41

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Kryzak's Semi-Blog for Themes, Essays, and Apps

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2007, 21:57
kryzak wrote:
Just finished my optional essay outline, I'm pretty excited that I found a place to talk about my volunteering work and a way to connect my passions for some of my hobbies with my passion for teaching/mentoring. Listed 2 major examples and a couple smaller ones, and linked it to a different kind of leadership than ones where you lead a work team or a group of people. I think I am happy with how my Haas outlines are coming out (other than their length)... they covered every aspect of my life that I wanted them to cover, and touched upon work/extracurricular leadership, Motivations, Goals, Volunteering, and that I'm a People-person.

I think you might have a place in the application to talk about your community service experiences. The optional essay is meant only for the inforamation that is not reflected elsewhere in the application. I think that you should not use the optional essay for community service, if you have a place in the application for that.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
WE 1: Social Gaming
Followers: 63

Kudos [?]: 327 [0], given: 14

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2007, 22:18
unfortunately, at this point I have no other place to discuss community service (which is a big part of my personality) in any of the Haas essays because of word length and the solo-nature of my volunteering activities (more teaching/mentoring than team work).

Haas's short answers ask about dinner guests, accomplishments (which I have a team oriented one), innovation (I have one for that already), and what you learned about Berkeley (definitely not a place for service)

Long Essay 1 asks about Leadership, and I have a very good work example for it

Long Essay 2 I'm battling just to get my career progression and why MBA in there under 300 words.

Thus, only in the optional essay can I discuss my passion for teaching/mentoring a wide variety of people.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

GMAT Tests User
Short and Long Term Goals [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2007, 16:29
[Wrote this up for another thread, but keeping it here just as an archive...

- I have "entrepreneurial qualities" based on the work I did in my current job for the past 6 years

- I want an MBA to learn ALL the aspects of running a business, especially in the strategic area.

- With an MBA, I could start my business immediately, but I want to learn more about the industry by working in established (but still small and agile) companies and APPLYING the knowledge I learned, practicing it so I can truly understand what i need to do.

I know it might not be the "true" entrepreneurial spirit (taking a lot of risks), but I believe having a good foundation is as important as just having a good idea, and it's just a different path to take as an entrepreneur.

how does that sound?

Last edited by kryzak on 23 Aug 2007, 16:24, edited 1 time in total.
Current Student
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Short and Long Term Goals [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2007, 17:39
kryzak wrote:
and have a strong technical background in the tech field I want to be in (telecom/mobile business)

Are you serious? :shock:
So not only do both of us want to focus on entrepreneurship, but both of us are interested in the same "telecom / mobile businesses" too !!

kryzak wrote:
Give that 2-3 years, and I'll be well equipped to launch my own company with the network I built in b-school (mNeo, are you listening? ;))

Now that you mentioned your interest in "telecom / mobile businesses", I am all ears, dude !!

I should buy up the domain xgmatclubberscommunications.com then, eh? :wink:
Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Short and Long Term Goals [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2007, 18:15
mNeo wrote:
Now that you mentioned your interest in "telecom / mobile businesses", I am all ears, dude !!

I should buy up the domain xgmatclubberscommunications.com then, eh? :wink:

I'm in the telecom/mobility business right now too.

kryzak, stop being a better version of me. Its getting creepy. :wink:
Current Student
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2007, 18:18
And did the entrepreneurship wasp sting you too, bherronp?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2007, 21:05
this is kinda creepy... ;)

yeah, my BS and MS were both in comm theory. I have a fascination with wireless stuff, but hate the nitty gritty equations that go with it. Thus I realized doing business in the industry is the best way to combine my passion for business with my tech background.

This is kind of weird to have two others on the same forum with almost the SAME background... oh boy, the competition will be tough! But then again, mNeo and bherronp, which schools were you applying to again? I hope not the same ones in the same round!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2007, 22:47
just finished Haas Short Essay 1, the dinner guest one.

Wow, 278 words, *before* serious editing! only 10% over the word limit (250), I'm pretty excited! It's really not much space to talk about anything at all other than list some specific accomplishments that I'll discuss in other essays and very briefly explain why I picked my dinner guest. These short essays are pretty crazy!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 11

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2007, 00:14
maybe the 3 of you are split personalities of 1 person?

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2007, 06:38
mNeo wrote:
And did the entrepreneurship wasp sting you too, bherronp?

I think about starting my own business, but if I do it, I want to do it about 10 years or so from now. I want to get through school, get it paid off, and get a good financial base built. Both my father and grandfather ran their own businesses, so I have seen both the good and the bad of being an entrepreneur. When things are good, they are really good. When things are bad.... well in 2001 I think I made about 18k, and that was more than my dad did that year. His business barely survived, and he is still fighting to get it back to where it had been. So I guess I have a more cautious outlook.

Also, the two year cost of what I would really like to start is enormous, so I'd have to get good financial resources lined up.
CBS Thread Master
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 9

Premium Member
Re: Kryzak's Semi-Blog for Themes, Essays, and Apps [#permalink] New post 12 Jun 2013, 22:52
How about updating this thread line?
Looks really important but out of date

Try to make my way to San Jose.

??? class of 2016

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

GMAT Tests User
Re: Kryzak's Semi-Blog for Themes, Essays, and Apps [#permalink] New post 10 Aug 2013, 13:55
haha, not quite sure what to update... can't believe this process was 6 years ago now... ;-)

GMAT Club Knowledge Vault:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/123
Haas Ambassador
http://gmatclub.com/forum/128-t62555
Kryzak's Profile:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/111-t56286
Member Essays:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/103-t50969

VP
VP
Followers: 69

Kudos [?]: 435 [0], given: 448

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Kryzak's Semi-Blog for Themes, Essays, and Apps [#permalink] New post 13 Aug 2013, 10:03
kryzak wrote:
haha, not quite sure what to update... can't believe this process was 6 years ago now... ;-)

Wow! Someone was able to make Kryzak post again :)

P.S: Thank you for all the wonderful stuff on the forum.

My Debrief | MBA Timeline - New! Stay on top of deadlines, receive recommendations for each stage, get reminders.

Re: Kryzak's Semi-Blog for Themes, Essays, and Apps   [#permalink] 13 Aug 2013, 10:03