Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Sep 2014, 10:21

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Lack Of Experience - Application Advice?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Lack Of Experience - Application Advice? [#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2010, 11:39
Hello everyone,

I am searching for some advice from people who may have experience with my background. Or if anyone thinks they have valuable advice, please feel free to share as well.

I took my GMAT last week and got a 710 (48M, 40V) 6.0 AWA. I had a 3.3 GPA as an economics major at an Ivy League university (Cornell) although my first year dragged it down. I changed majors my first year, and that caused my GPA to be lower than it should have been. I had a 3.5 my sophomore through senior years of college. I currently work in finance at a corporation with primarily engineers as we build engines. However, I will only have two years work experience when the 2011 school year starts.

I would like to apply to business school and start in the fall of 2011. The schools I am looking at are Harvard, Stern, Columbia, USC, UCLA, BC, and BU. I am only considering schools in cities, and Boston, New York, and California are really the only places I want to be. I was wondering if anyone could give me advice on how my lack of experience would hurt me. I am wondering if anyone has had success with these top schools with a similar background to mine.

I would really appreciate any advice. Especially if you have experiences that may help. Thanks so much in advance!

Joseph
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
Followers: 78

Kudos [?]: 693 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: Lack Of Experience - Application Advice? [#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2010, 16:35
Huge jump from HBS to BU....my advice 2 years of school is a really short length of time you are probably bertter off going to the best school you can get into regardless of location. I think more of my close friends from Kellogg ended up in the bay area than stayed in Chicago. If you want a location after graduation its doable to get there if you are focused.

Honestly, being so young will hurt your application at almost all schools. A lot of my friends who were younger had stellar backgrounds, if you are younger than average you are going to have to better than average. So if you would be in the youngest 10% then you are going to have to have done some very impressive things in a short time.

Kellogg Class of 2010...still active and willing to help. However, I do not do profile reviews, don't offer predictions on chances and am far to busy to review essays, so save the energy of writing me a PM seeking help for these. If I don't respond to a PM that is not one of the previously mentioned trash can destined messages, please don't take it personally I get so many messages I have a hard to responding to most. The more interesting, compelling, or humorous you message the more likely I am to respond.
Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Re: Lack Of Experience - Application Advice? [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2010, 05:51
Thanks for the advice! Anyone else have experience or advice? I would really appreciate it.
Manager
Manager
WE 1: 3 years for major bank
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 33

Re: Lack Of Experience - Application Advice? [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2010, 07:56
My advice is either wait to apply or only apply to your "ideal" schools and recognize you're probably going to get rejected and have to reapply. The one thing you don't really want to have happen is to end up going to BC or BU with far more limited options when you could have gotten into a better school had you waited a year or two... or could have gone to BU or BC with a scholarship.

The truth is that unless you hid some crucial fact from us, you stand very little chance of getting in this year. Not only is is "just" that schools will look askance at someone with only two years of experience, but you only have a year's worth of experience to draw from for your essays and for your recommender.

So yeah. Waiting is your best bet here followed by apply only to schools that won't make you think "what if I had just waited" in a few years.
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: UNC (Kenan-Flagler) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE: Programming (Computer Software)
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 201 [0], given: 52

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Lack Of Experience - Application Advice? [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2010, 08:28
HBS 2+2=4 might be good. with low WE it will be tough for any school though

If you like my answers please +1 kudos!

Manager
Manager
WE 1: 3 years for major bank
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 33

Re: Lack Of Experience - Application Advice? [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2010, 09:07
shaselai wrote:
HBS 2+2=4 might be good. with low WE it will be tough for any school though

Isn't HBS 2+2 for college juniors, not people who already have a year or so of experience?
Intern
Intern

Re: Lack Of Experience - Application Advice? [#permalink] New post 17 Sep 2010, 06:24
Thanks for all the advice.

I think I'm going to apply to BC's MSF program, get a few more years work experience, and then apply for the MBA. I REALLY appreciate everyone's advice. You confirmed my suspicions, and everything was helpful.

Good luck to everyone with their own endeavours!
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Lack Of Experience - Application Advice? [#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2010, 07:02
Hi Joseph

Thanks for the post.

As you look to gain more years of experience before applying to a top school, please consider joining our professional group, USA Leadership Corps.

We structure part-time volunteer nonprofit and small business strategy consulting projects for emerging MBAs who desire to strengthen their leadership, consulting, entrepreneurship, and/or community-involvement backgrounds. Our website: http://www.usaLeadershipCorps.org

Thank you again & good luck,

Maxwell Roper
Outreach Director
USA Leadership Corps

Last edited by MaxwellRoper on 12 Oct 2010, 06:08, edited 1 time in total.
Director
Director
Affiliations: Consortium (CGSM.org), NSHMBA
Schools: Yale SOM Class of 2012
WE 1: Investment Banking Summer Associate (Boutique tech M&A)
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 215 [0], given: 111

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Lack Of Experience - Application Advice? [#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2010, 08:34
first of all, applying to any school is all about differentiating yourself from your applicant pool. this is especially true at top schools like HBS. the fact that you have less years of experience means that other parts of your application will have to carry more weight.

not sure i see the value in getting both an M Fin and an MBA. if you want to go into investment management, a CFA + either of those 2 degrees would be sufficient, but not both. b-schools might also be wary of someone with a) undergrad in business, and b) a master's degree that is very similar to an MBA

GMAT Debrief

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: Lack Of Experience - Application Advice?   [#permalink] 27 Sep 2010, 08:34